• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squall ASF said:
Thank you to the two guys that commented on the 360 controllers, I'll have to look into them. Probably will fork over for the official one since it looks sexy and I'm not a SF guy ;)

Keep the impressions coming guys! For us poor saps that are stuck at work! I'm about to pick mine up while out at lunch but will have to late until tonight to play :|

For those of you that have played a bunch of characters, which one's do you find the best so far?
Im not even half way the story mode, and for the few Ive got to mess with, my favorite aside from Scorpion which I played the hell out of it in the demo is, Ermac and Kabal. Looking foward to use Cyrax and Sektor

MonkeyKnuckle said:
That's some awesome video editing.
I'm guessing theres some green screen or similar single color background mode/stage in the game that allows easy keying out the background.

cos they sure as hell didn't rotoscope all that by hand.

alstein

Lost Fragment said:
So is the netcode still ass? Still hearing pretty bad things about it.

Netcode is like Marvel- really Random whether you get good or bad.

Might be better when more people are on, or when (I'm sure they will) patch showing connection strength.

It's flawed but fixable.

Ribbon

Squall ASF said:
Thank you to the two guys that commented on the 360 controllers, I'll have to look into them. Probably will fork over for the official one since it looks sexy and I'm not a SF guy ;)

Keep the impressions coming guys! For us poor saps that are stuck at work! I'm about to pick mine up while out at lunch but will have to late until tonight to play :|

For those of you that have played a bunch of characters, which one's do you find the best so far?

Sektor is amazing for setting up combos, which isn't a surprise at all.

henhowc said:
Any comparisons between the 360 v. PS3? Leaning towards the 360 right now since I have a stick for it already from SF4.
only a advertisement revenue screenshot comparison so far on LOT - 360 wins so far. I'll wait for the digital foundry review, cos I can wait. I'm not mad hyped for this game.

Messi

Squall ASF said:

Noob Saibot was real fun to play as. His 1st fatality is SICK

fernoca

Frogfucious said:
sitting here with my copy in my bag, this day of work is dragging.

Is Kratos available from the very beginning?
Yep, but you can't use it him on Story Mode or Challenge Tower.

grkazan12 said:
How's the online for U.S. Ps3 owners? My copy arrived but I'm stuck at classes till 6 FFFFFFFUUUUUUU.
No definitive answer for the moment. I haven't had any problems in 30 matches, but others have reported many.

My connection is only 2MB so I'm probably the one giving lag.. XD

Dead

well not really...yet
The Classic Scorpion suit actually looks cool during gameplay

I wish I had all of the classic suits :(

Ill at least get Jades with the movie

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Gotta say, I am glad i bought the collectors edition! The bookends are awesome and worth it by themselves. The art book was ok, i thought it would be a bit bigger but i was slightly sad that it wasnt nearly as awesome as the starcraft/warcraft art books. Also, Old school Ermac is awesome looking!

MDSLKTR

Sneaked out from work to buy it this morning, went back home to play it at lunch, expecting a shitload of people at my place tonight. HYPE!

Ribbon

I think the krypt is set up pretty bad too. Annoying to find certain headstones.

Edit: Also the Blood Marsh in the krypt is pretty disgusting :)

Aesthet1c

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Came to my desk after a meeting and on my keyboard is my amazon package!!! This is gonna be a slow ass day to get home and play this!
I feel your pain man. I'm also stuck at work and I'm so stoked for MK I keep imagining my meetings turning out like this.

AEREC

Messi said:
DAT CAGE

That is all.

Ps, this game is awesome, A full on story mode? With cutscenes and no loading screens between video and fights.

*bow to boon and co*

Story mode is pretty good (im only to the scorpion chapter though) for a fighting game but when you compare that too Street Fighters or MvC's story mode then I guess anything is better by comparison only because it's not bare bones.

Still Im enjoying MK's story mode a lot though.

fernoca

By the way, it would be better if people start talking/reporting about any problems /happenings at the Online Thread. General impressions, lag, etc.

That way, I can update that OP with updates regarding problems, patches ,etc. So that can others can see about any possible problems and updates.

When reporting problems also post your region and time, just in case.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Struct09 said:
I have a Classic Reptile code for Xbox 360 that I'd like to trade for Scorpion, Mileena, or Kitana. PM me if interested.

why couldnt it have been PS3!! /cry

edit* I actually did a live chat today with Amazon asking "Vijay" if he could hook a brother up with a ps3 preorder code... he told me no can do....

Chapter 3 was BAD ASS

TOASTY!!!!!!!

I also love the nod to
Shaolin Monks
in Chapter 3 with
Kung Lao being disguised as one of Shang Tsung's guards

fernoca

henhowc said:
Are the classic costumes like SSF4 where you can see other players with the costumes online even if you don't have them yourself?
Yep.
In both cases; the costumes are on the disc, so the preorder-codes just unlock them for use.

Every other content that will be released later, will be full-downloads, so for that (to see others) you'll need a patch/update with the data.

Kurod

Banned
henhowc said:
Are the classic costumes like SSF4 where you can see other players with the costumes online even if you don't have them yourself?

Should be. All the classic costumes are already on the disc.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:
22 matches (straight) with a friend, 8 with a randoms from the US and no problems, lags or disconnects.

I did noted that while wired (on PS3) I couldn't get online at all, but wireless it's been great so far. Similar thing happened to me on Resistance 2.

So don't know if there's an overall problem with wired connections.

But others are still reporting some problems, so guess it varies.

That doesn't make sense. Not that I disbelieve you (could be a bug), but aren't wired connections supposed to be better for gaming?

FlashFlooder said:
So, should I play this or Portal 2 first when I get home today?

I figured I'd go with MK first since I could run though arcade mode once and then move on to Portal 2 knowing once I started Portal I'd end up playing that for hours.

Ended up spending over 2 hours with MK before I even realized it and haven't even touched P2 yet.

ThirstyFly said:
I figured I'd go with MK first since I could run though arcade mode once and then move on to Portal 2 knowing once I started Portal I'd end up playing that for hours.

Ended up spending over 2 hours with MK before I even realized it and haven't even touched P2 yet.

I still haven't touched Portal 2. Finished 3 Chapters of Story mode (like I said before, BAD ASS so far). Watching the Giantbomb Live stream of SOCOM/Portal2/MK that just started up now: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

MG310

The Collector's Edition guide is pretty nicely done, the included cards with all of the basic, specials, combos, tag combos and fatalities are a great touch that all fighting game guides should have.

AwRy108

distrbnce

Banned
Just posted this in the Portal thread, sorry for the deja vu:

Hey Gaf, I dunno if this has been brought up before, I'm trying not to read anything until I play the game, but...

A friend and I just went to Kmart to try to do the $120 = $60 Game Coupon deal.

Well, I can't say it's false advertising, but it's definitely frustrating, and you guys should know before you go in; Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat only came out to $119.98, and we weren't given the coupon.

I dunno if adding the PSN card would've helped (as in, if it counts as gaming software), we couldn't try until she rang it up (and charged) again.

So, how did that Toys R Us deal pan out? I still need to buy my copies.

fernoca

sleepykyo said:
That doesn't make sense. Not that I disbelieve you (could be a bug), but aren't wired connections supposed to be better for gaming?
Wired yeah always better and recommended, but it's a weird problem.
I remember with Resistance 2 it was the recommendation; so I decided to apply it to this game since it wasn't even accepting the invites from my friend. And it worked. The router is close to the unit, which is why I have it wired in the first place. Guess I'll leave it wireless for the time being.

For Resistance 2 there was no update ever, because it wasn't an actual problem they said they could fix.. more like a mix of router and IPs and other misc. things. So I guess the same applies to this case.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
For those waiting for the game from Amazon:

Got confirmation that both the PS3 and 360 copies I ordered from Amazon have been delivered. The PS3 version was not ordered with release-date shipping, but despite 1-day shipping being listed as having a 4/21 delivery date, it looks like it may have arrived before the 360 version did! They e-mailed me the codes for classic Reptile last night.

Frogfucious said:
sitting here with my copy in my bag, this day of work is dragging.

Is Kratos available from the very beginning?
yes he is ;
I am too sitting here at work waiting for my shift to be over so I can go home and play

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I found the online play to be generally smoother than say MVC3 but that was over this past weekend. A few laggy matches but most were totally playable. Might have to give it another go now that everyone is playing it.

fernoca

distrbnce said:
Perfectly I guess. My friend got MK and Portal 2 from them and the $50 gift card.
He said it's actually better, since because of the gift card, the games appear as $35 each. So he thinks it could be "exploited" by returning one of the games, get the $35 back and stay with the $50 gift card; or something like that. :p

He won't do it, since he wants both games; but wouldn't be surprised if others do.

Lothars

I am absolutely Livid I bought the KE at bestbuy and in the flyer it says get a sub zero code with the regular and kollectors edition, it should be in the case but when I opened it up nothing

It didn't have it so I went back into the store and was told nothing they can do even though the flyer says specifically the KE will have it.

I even talked to a supervisor and was told the same thing, that's just frustrating beyond belief.

BuzzJive

distrbnce said:

I went to my local TRU this morning and had no problems with the deal. My buddy and I were the only people there when they opened at 9 (I was there about 15 minutes early, just misjudging my morning commute really). I was only planning to get MK today, but this deal was too good to pass up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else find it odd in the ladder than Shang Tsung is about a thousand times harder than
Goro and Shao Khan
?

fernoca said:
Perfectly I guess. My friend got MK and Portal 2 from them and the $50 gift card.
He said it's actually better, since because of the gift card, the games appear as $35 each. So he thinks it could be "exploited" by returning one of the games, get the $35 back and stay with the $50 gift card; or something like that. :p

He won't do it, since he wants both games; but wouldn't be surprised if others do.

In the past Toys R Us won't let you return one of the games without also returning the gift card.

fernoca

Lothars said:
I am absolutely Livid I bought the KE at bestbuy and in the flyer it says get a sub zero code with the regular and kollectors edition, it should be in the case but when I opened it up nothing

It didn't have it so I went back into the store and was told nothing they can do even though the flyer says specifically the KE will have it.

I even talked to a supervisor and was told the same thing, that's just frustrating beyond belief.
The KE were never supposed to have the code, they said so multiple times online and even the site specified it (that the bonus was only for the regular edition).

Shoppers around here make no mention of the retro-costumes, but if yours said it included the retro in both, take the shopper and try to convince the manager to exchange the game (only) with one of the regular copies; and/or contact/phone support in the same store.

MG310

distrbnce said:
Just posted this in the Portal thread, sorry for the deja vu:

Hey Gaf, I dunno if this has been brought up before, I'm trying not to read anything until I play the game, but...

A friend and I just went to Kmart to try to do the $120 = $60 Game Coupon deal.

Well, I can't say it's false advertising, but it's definitely frustrating, and you guys should know before you go in; Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat only came out to $119.98, and we weren't given the coupon.

I dunno if adding the PSN card would've helped (as in, if it counts as gaming software), we couldn't try until she rang it up (and charged) again.

Yeah, you need to buy the 20 dollar PSN/XBLA card to get over 120. I've read a report of people actually getting the PSN card for free when they buy both (since both Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 give 10 dollars off a 20 dollar points card).

Personally I ended up buying Portal 2, Crysis 2 (40 dollars this week) and 2 20 dollar PSN cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom