• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Lyte Edge said:
For those waiting for the game from Amazon:

Got confirmation that both the PS3 and 360 copies I ordered from Amazon have been delivered. The PS3 version was not ordered with release-date shipping, but despite 1-day shipping being listed as having a 4/21 delivery date, it looks like it may have arrived before the 360 version did! They e-mailed me the codes for classic Reptile last night.

I actually just got my PS3 copy about 10 minutes ago. :D

Ilive1up

My game has still yet to arrive.

The main UPS center is only a couple towns over, and it says it went on delivery at 7 this morning...

ARGH!

Spent about 4 hours doing some quick ladder runs, finished 25 challenge tower levels, fiddled with the Fatality trainer, completed training mode, saw an Easter Egg
Ninja Smoke in the Living Forest!
, unlocked some alts, browsed the Krypt, and I haven't even touched Story or Online yet. Yeah, this game is seriously fantastic. There's so much kontent it's almost overwhelming and it truly sets a bar that few fighting games can or probably ever will match.

Really like the character endings I've seen so far, too. Essentially they're just motion comics, but I like the artwork and the transition of the narration to ending. And they're certainly far more elaborate than anything Capcom has done in a long time. Then again, the same could be said for just about every aspect of this game. Well done, NRS! I tip my razor-edged hat to you.

dralla

Ilive1up said:
My game has still yet to arrive.

The main UPS center is only a couple towns over, and it says it went on delivery at 7 this morning...

ARGH!
UPS is used for commercial businesses, it has to hit all of them first before residential areas. Deliveries from them can be as late as 7PM

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Really like the character endings I've seen so far, too. Essentially they're just motion comics, but I like the artwork and the transition of the narration to ending. And they're certainly far more elaborate than anything Capcom has done in a long time. Then again, the same could be said for just about every aspect of this game. Well done, NRS! I tip my razor-edged hat to you.

It's just a shame Capcom made so much money on crappy online integration with MVC3.

Frankfurt

Banned
SOLDIER said:
Have there been any reported differences between the console versions, aside from Kratos? I'm waiting for impressions to see if one version performs better than the other, visually or online.

LensofTruth has a comparison.

AEREC

Anyone else get the TE edition with the stick? Im hoping I will get used to it (never used the MK layout before) but I wonder if I shoul have just gone with the regular edition and used my HRAP VX SA with MK9.

GrayFoxPL

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Spent about 4 hours doing some quick ladder runs, finished 25 challenge tower levels, fiddled with the Fatality trainer, completed training mode, saw an Easter Egg
Ninja Smoke in the Living Forest!
, unlocked some alts, browsed the Krypt, and I haven't even touched Story or Online yet. Yeah, this game is seriously fantastic. There's so much kontent it's almost overwhelming and it truly sets a bar that few fighting games can or probably ever will match.

Awesome impressions!

I guess it's gonna be about a week 'til I get my PAL version.

Can you give some character impressions?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I have paid Zero attention to this. But opened up a video that John Davison linked on Twitter, of fatalities.

Um...wow

That's some violent good time stuff right there.

Now to see what this new MK is about!

Sanchito

My TE has been sitting behind me at work since 11 this morning. It's killing me not being able to run home and play it.

RS4-

cuevas said:
Could they use a breaker there?

Yup. And that's corner only. But if he starts it off with the spin half screen anti air, he might be able to work in some good damage but she'll drop even faster to the ground. It's still a good chunk though.

notworksafe

RS4- said:
Yup. And that's corner only. But if he starts it off with the spin half screen anti air, he might be able to work in some good damage but she'll drop even faster to the ground. It's still a good chunk though.
From the comments, it seems that Kung's X-Ray takes a second longer on Sheeva. I wonder if she gets that from everyone. If so, sad news for Sheeva players. (are there any?)

Gary Whitta said:
Very useful, thanks! Man there's so much to learn for a fighting n00b like me, does the game have a good practice/training mode?
There's a tutorial that is good about teaching basics (in the Training menu). Story mode has you playing a bit as pretty much everyone, and the Challenge Tower is a good place to practice with stricter conditions (among fun minigames and such).

GrayFoxPL said:
Awesome impressions!

I guess it's gonna be about a week 'til I get my PAL version.

Can you give some character impressions?

I've only really put some time into about six or so characters so far, but I've those, I'd say I see the most potential in Kung Lao. I'm doing a run of all the characters through Ladder mode first, just to get a basic feel for each one. After that, I'll probably narrow it down to five that I'm going to try and really learn. And then once I'm comfortable enough, off to Online.

But yeah, Kung Lao seems quite beastly. And Cage is awesome, but I got quite a bit of play with him on the demo, so if you did too you should already know that. Didn't care much for Liu Kang, and Scorpion is as fun as he's always been though not super-threatening. I'm most disappointed with Sub-Zero, and he really hasn't changed from the demo. His ice specials are too slow and the slide doesn't work how I'd like it to.

I feel as if I'm trying to play the game like MKII/UMK3, and that's probably not the best approach, albeit perfectly natural for someone who has put a lot of time into the classic MK games. The flow and intensity of the match feels like a nice hybrid of the two, and that's really damn awesome. It'll just take some getting used to.

Teknoman said:
So did the day one patch fix the music levels, or will I still just have to manually adjust everything?
I haven't played the game yet but are you saying the sound mix hasn't changed from the terrible mix in the demo??

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I haven't played the game yet but are you saying the sound mix hasn't changed from the terrible mix in the demo??
It hasn't. I recommend dropping Ambiance by 3-4 notches and turning Music all the way up (it's at about 60% by default).

notworksafe said:
It hasn't. I recommend dropping Ambiance by 3-4 notches and turning Music all the way up (it's at about 60% by default).
haha wow, they even have an ambiance track? What is this, WoW?

Well, if they're gonna have a shitty sound mix at least they have some meaty customization options!

KE edition copy in hand finally. Today UPS guy decided to be over an hour late, and it came while I was in class. Artbook is fantastic. Great concept art and cg renders of characters. Gorgeous binding. Only problem I have with it is that I would have liked it to be a bit taller.
Bookends are great. No major paint problems on mine, a few very minor issues. Spear through Subs is intact. The only thing I don't like is Subs closed eyes face sculpt.
Very satisfied with the purchase. And I have so many books I will actually use the Book Ends for the intended purpose. Glad the US got the bookends over the figure the Euros got.

Also ordered a TE from Walmart. Unfortunately that won't be here until Thursday according to UPS, despite Walmart claiming release date delivery. I sent a strongly worded letter, so hopefully they will give me a small gc for screwing it up, but we shall see.

Anyways, don't need both obviously, but wanted to get the stick plus the artbook/bookends. Will sell extra copy of game and Ermac, so stick should end up costing me about 90 after that is all done. Since it is 130 solo I can dig it. Plus I get an extra Klassic Mileena skin to boot.

Edit: Speaking of Walmart DLC, are they going to e-mail me a code at some point? Or is it a physical card stuck in the box?

RS4-

Yeah Kung Lao is right up there because of how good his spin is. Dive kick is fast, doesn't do a lot of damage but it's safe if you do it really deep. TP is good as well to punish lazy fireball spammers that try to zone you from mid/full screen.

Liu has a pretty decent mixup game with his overhead & high combos. Especially the combo that starts off low, it leads to a loop that you can do 3-4 times. Alright fireball game with the high/low/air. Bicycle kick is just straight up garbage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Any Jade technology out there? I want to main her, but haven't really seen any footage. Have people started finding any good combos?

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
haha wow, they even have an ambiance track? What is this, WoW?

Well, if they're gonna have a shitty sound mix at least they have some meaty customization options!
Don't have it in front of me, but there are plenty of options. IIRC it's Music, Ambiance, Dialogue, and Effects.

GrayFoxPL

MyEpitomeCliché said:
I've only really put some time into about six or so characters so far, but I've those, I'd say I see the most potential in Kung Lao. I'm doing a run of all the characters through Ladder mode first, just to get a basic feel for each one. After that, I'll probably narrow it down to five that I'm going to try and really learn. And then once I'm comfortable enough, off to Online.

But yeah, Kung Lao seems quite beastly. And Cage is awesome, but I got quite a bit of play with him on the demo, so if you did too you should already know that. Didn't care much for Liu Kang, and Scorpion is as fun as he's always been though not super-threatening. I'm most disappointed with Sub-Zero, and he really hasn't changed from the demo. His ice specials are too slow and the slide doesn't work how I'd like it to.

I feel as if I'm trying to play the game like MKII/UMK3, and that's probably not the best approach, albeit perfectly natural for someone who has put a lot of time into the classic MK games. The flow and intensity of the match feels like a nice hybrid of the two, and that's really damn awesome. It'll just take some getting used to.

Cool! Thanks.

I wish this version had run on f,f rather then short dash. I miss the "Uuuuuuhraaaa!" from mk3 and running jumps that were awesome in mkvsdc and older games.

Teknoman

The Lamonster said:

Thats what I was asking the other day. Notworksafe said he still had to just adjust the volume manually, but I remember someone saying the day 1 patch was supposed to fix that, among other things...or that the demo was an old build.

EDIT: Alright cool, thats the first thing im doing.

fernoca

Sound is better than the demo, since you can put the music volume to the max. At least everything sounds higher in mine compared to the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom