• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Holy jeebus the netcode is awful.

Almost every match has input delay and sound lags behind the animation during fatalities. Yikes. And these are people with full green connection.

fernoca

Kweh said:
You can't play Test Your Luck online?
Nope. They didn't said you could, only offline with other players too.

You can put the Kombat Kodes during online matches for stuff like Armless Kombat, No jumping, etc.

So far I've seen a lot of praise in this thread for Ermac and Noob, thinking I'll focus on those two and Smoke until Rain comes (please be first DLC). What makes them good? their combos? specials? speed? I plan on doing Story mode first so hopefully it makes me play as everyone and then I can come to a more concrete dicision. Would you guys say you can skip training if you jump right into story mode? If there's an achievement for completing training, I'd have to do it ;)

Just picked up my copy during lunch :) Grabbed the new official silver transformable controller too, looks real nice. Lame that it costs more than a freakin game though! Better be good! At least it comes with a charge and play. Can't wait to try it out on MK tonight!

i had a hard time getting into matches last night. I was hoping it was just overloaded (or that not many people were online at that point.)

The juggle potential in this game seems pretty awesome. If I may judge from 2 hours of play time last night, I think they nailed it. There's some dumb stuff, but it feels like its easily the deepest MK yet. On the fighting game scale, it's probably deeper than DOA, but nothing higher than that. Still, it's fun as fuck.

Squall ASF said:
Just picked up my copy during lunch :) Grabbed the new official silver transformable controller too, looks real nice. Lame that it costs more than a freakin game though! Better be good! At least it comes with a charge and play. Can't wait to try it out on MK tonight!
omg, that avatar! xD

Teknoman

Cerrius said:

Almost every match has input delay and sound lags behind the animation during fatalities. Yikes. And these are people with full green connection.

Wasnt that a 360 version patch problem?

JohngPR

Alright, got the PS3 Reptile original costume/fatality code from Amazon in hand. Anyone want to trade for a PS3 Subzero or Scorpion one?

Hmm, I thought there was a mandatory install (PS3 version here) but when I put in the game it just downloaded the patch with no install. Weird.

Been playing story mode, pretty awesome so far - definitely captures what I like most about MK.

Purexed

Banned
Cerrius said:

Was playing the PS3 version for hours last night and the netcode appeared solid. It had a slight delay like most online fighters, but with come timing adjustments, it was a great time!

Alivor

Picked it up earlier, and my god it's incredible. I was torn between this and Portal2, and I went with MK and I'm happy with my decision. The animations are so smooth, it looks like the punches and kicks really do hit hard.

Just played a bunch of ranked matches (XBL). Seems to be a lot of input delay. Most of matches felt like playing underwater as well.

Will play more obviously so I can get a larger slice of matches, but seems not to be the best so far (not better than SSF4.

And oh too, Cage's counter X-Ray counters throws as well? I can't tell if it was lag, or it actually countered a throw. Seems dumb design on that, haha.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that as a justification for a poor score from a professional outlet.

The hell does that even mean?
Don't forget a deduction for the bosses being hard.

The Lamonster said:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that as a justification for a poor score from a professional outlet.

Considering the game is a reboot of a title that first game out in 1992 the art style seems totally appropriate to me, what a ridiculous thing to criticize.

DR2K

Banned
Smision said:
i had a hard time getting into matches last night. I was hoping it was just overloaded (or that not many people were online at that point.)

The juggle potential in this game seems pretty awesome. If I may judge from 2 hours of play time last night, I think they nailed it. There's some dumb stuff, but it feels like its easily the deepest MK yet. On the fighting game scale, it's probably deeper than DOA, but nothing higher than that. Still, it's fun as fuck.

I don't think you know what depth is, you're confusing it with a totally different concept. Probably perception, which most inexperienced people do when they start getting pretentious with what little they understand. MK could easily have the most depth out of any fighter or the least and you wouldn't understand what that means.

The Lamonster said:

Your logic is stuck in 1998! Beer me another nonsensical zinger, Mr. Gies!

see5harp

Just caught the Giant Bomb stream. That online spectate mode with avatars looks so damn awesome. Even if I don't plan on buying the game, that seems so logical to me in a party.

MrMephistoX

If anyone want s classic Jade or Ermac I'll gladly trade for Sub Zero, Scorpion, Mileena or Kitana. PS3 all.

Can't wait to get home from work!

DR2K said:
I don't think you know what depth is, you're confusing it with a totally different concept. Probably perception, which most inexperienced people do when they start getting pretentious with what little they understand. MK could easily have the most depth out of any fighter or the least and you wouldn't understand what that means.

Wow. Total doucher post. At least explain to him why you think he is misguided.

And I'm loving Cyrax right not. Fun juggle combos for 40%.

fernoca

notworksafe said:
Don't forget a deduction for the bosses being hard.
Add to that the 6.0 in Presentation, because you can't skip cutscenes in the story mode.

The hell with King of the Hill mode with has chibi-avatars and a full screen to watch entire matches (on top of that online was not touched at all, only a mention that there's some lag..and nothing else about modes, etc.), the animated menus, the pressing start to play classic music in the arenas, visible damage, the notifications in online-lobbies about who's winning..yeah, all those aspects in the presentation mean nothing because you can't skip cutscenes in the story mode.

mrgone

I wonder why they didn't put Test Your Luck in as an unranked online mode? Is it that some of the rolls wouldn't play nicely with any sort of lag?

fernoca said:
Add to that the 6.0 in Presentation, because you can't skip cutscenes in the story mode.

Not being able to skip cutscenes sucks though. Not enough to warrant a decrease in score, but it sucks. I started in Story Mode and had to continue adjusting my controls... which I had to do from the main menu. Go back to Story Mode... cutscene... repeat.

Pretty lame but not a serious problem.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, if I'm understanding this right, there's currently no way to get a retro Jade costume on the 360? They're for sure going to release these as DLC, if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom