• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neuromancer said:
OK still in the tutorial. I can't beat Sektor! Sonja just falls over and dies even when she has a lot of health. What is going on?!

Look at the box on the bottom right of the screen. You have to use techniques you just learned before he dies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
depths20XX said:
Most opinions I've read are sayin the netcode is quite shit. On an MK stream yesterday the guy played a lot of online and claimed there was a lot of delay in almost every match. I think it's pretty bad on both systems too. It's a shame we still deal with fighting games that have shit netcode.
I don't mind the netcode in sf4 or mvc3. All signs point to this being worse though.

Admittedly SF4 and MVC3 are far from perfect in the netcode realm but they are pretty decent IMO

Yousefb

Dammit my copy has been "out for delivery" since 7 am, its 6 pm now! I just saw 2 UPS trucks pass by, how long will it taaaaaaaaaaaaaaake?!!?!?! :p

fernoca

Lost Fragment said:
Shit netcode is gonna be a dealbreaker for me unless impressions improve over the next few days. If not, I'll probably pick up Portal 2 and wait until MK goes down to $30 or $40.
The thing is that it will probably take at least a week to know for sure.
As others noted, most of the impressions seem to be from the PS3 version. The PS3 version also installs the game as you play (during matches, loadings, etc.). So there's apparently some "conflict" between the game installing while playing online. While many jumped online the moment they opened the game.

Probably why I haven't had problems online (so far, aside the wireless/wired issue) ,I played a good amount of story, ladder and trainings..so I guess the arenas/data installed already. (My data size is currently at 3GB, was at 1GB around 12 hours ago). And my connection is 2MB; so is not like it's that fast (1.7 down, .3 up)

People are not saying which version they're playing, or if on the PS3 case they're playing after some data was installed or before. In the case of 360, some people has reported problems (with other games like Gears 2) trying to play online with the game installed on the HDD. And if there's any difference before and after. Or my thing with the wireless/wired connection, maybe others need to also change it to wireless..or something. :p

There are many variables, which is why I've been asking to put most of the talk of the online problems at the online thread. And see, compare, analyze. The netcode seems to be not stable (enough) yet, but if there are additional things also influencing the experience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Without spoiling anything, how many attires do people have?

I unlocked Kabal's second and was not pleased that it wasn't his 'ending' armor

R2D4

Banned
Painraze said:
well i played 3 matches on Live so far, no lag, no connection troubles.
Same but on PS3. 4 matches no problems. Found opponents very quickly. Lost all 4 but that's my fault. ;)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1424501-yoshinori_ono_producer_large.jpg

yes... the netcode is so bad

fernoca said:
As others noted, most of the impressions seem to be from the PS3 version. The PS3 version also installs the game as you play (during matches, loadings, etc.). So there's apparently some "conflict" between the game installing while playing online. While many jumped online the moment they opened the game.
How can you tell it's installing in the background? Where does it say?

I just want to be able to track the installation's progress.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
zoner said:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5150/1424501-yoshinori_ono_producer_large.jpg[/IMG]
yes... the netcode is so bad
SF4 netcode is pretty decent IMO. Its no GGPO but its fine.

Anyanka

henhowc said:
Bummer to hear about the netcode. Was MKvDC bad? I never played it.

It was awful in it's own way. You'd get the usual delay plus the hit detection would be screwed up. It was unbelievable at times. This game doesn't get as glitched but the delay is probably worse. I would say MKDC on a good connection was better than this.

I suggest people on the fence think about past releases when the netcode impressions are mixed. We always hear give it time, the servers will be fixed, there's no lag, ect. Always. How often does it get better? yeaah...

It's heart breaking. :(

Woot, Arcade with Noob completed!

I'll probably try the story mode out on Thursday

REV 09 said:
How do u select the alt costumes? I put in the code for classic reptile, but I don't see where to select it.

Highlight the character and press start

Dre3001

Havent bought a MK since MK 3 but got interest in this game due to it looking like classic MK.

Just a quick question.

For those with the game how does this compare with the past few 3D MK's??

I played Deception, Deadly Alliance, Armageddon, and MK vs DC and got bored of them rather quick.

I love fighting games but the 3D mortal kombats just felt so robotic and slow compared to the past 2d games.

Especially MK vs DC which literally was horrible in my opinion.

So to those who have it, just a quick overview does this MK feel more old school gameplay wise (like faster or more smooth) rather then the robotic garbage from the last few MK??

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
fernoca said:

Probably why I haven't had problems online (so far, aside the wireless/wired issue) ,I played a good amount of story, ladder and trainings..so I guess the arenas/data installed already. (My data size is currently at 3GB, was at 1GB around 12 hours ago). And my connection is 2MB; so is not like it's that fast (1.7 down, .3 up)

People are not saying which version they're playing, or if on the PS3 case they're playing after some data was installed or before. In the case of 360, some people has reported problems (with other games like Gears 2) trying to play online with the game installed on the HDD. And if there's any difference before and after. Or my thing with the wireless/wired connection, maybe others need to also change it to wireless..or something. :p

There are many variables, which is why I've been asking to put most of the talk of the online problems at the online thread. And see, compare, analyze. The netcode seems to be not stable (enough) yet, but if there are additional things also influencing the experience.

Sounds like you're trying pretty hard to rationalise. How many other games that had bad netcode day 1 went on to improve? Not many.

Things are still preliminary at this point though so I haven't completely decided against buying the game yet. It's still pretty early, so I'm open to the possibility that the current sample size is just small and that things aren't quite as bad for the majority. But yeah, things don't look good.

Anyanka

Tekken 6 went from complete garbage to sort of halfway playable. That's all I can think of.

What's depressing is that if this game is going to have a scene it NEEDS online.

What are people's opinions on the air game?

I have never liked that everybody has universal air normals for the most part. Seems like whoever jumps in the air first wins no matter what, not considering priority.

Have to dig deeper if different characters have drastically different hitboxes on their jump attacks.

Is there meaty jump ins?

Also, the hit boxes/detection on jump attacks seems weird. I can't put my finger on it, it doesn't seem totally right. Like stuff will whiff (the air attack or the a ground attack trying to anti-air) when he visually seems like it shouldn't

IDK. Still have to get my Mk bearings I guess.

And yes, SC4 had shit netcode. Namco said they would fix it. they never did :(

SerArthurDayne said:
Look at the box on the bottom right of the screen. You have to use techniques you just learned before he dies.
Oh ok I see thanks.

How do I do a breaker again? Xbox 360 version. It doesn't come up in the move list.

Edit: never mind I got it

DasRaven

The UPS man just left. It's going to be a busy afternoon.
TodaysSpecial.jpg

I also got my Kollector's Prima Guide earlier, but I'm leaving it sealed.

LowParry

If the online is bad as people say, I'd expect NR to apply a patch. They've been pretty good with fan input so far. But I haven't got to try myself. Single player has been keeping me good company so far.

G-Fex

Well got it! Practicing with a few characters right now.

Sadly I never got it Urleh, but keeping in tradition with my other pick up picture, keeping the twilight poster in.

WD8UUm.jpg

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
How can you tell it's installing in the background? Where does it say?

I just want to be able to track the installation's progress.
Visually: Flashing yellow-light on the PS3
Data size: XMB, Game Data Utilty

Lost Fragment said:
Sounds like you're trying pretty hard to rationalise. How many other games that had bad netcode day 1 went on to improve? Not many.

Things are still preliminary at this point though so I haven't completely decided against buying the game yet. It's still pretty early, so I'm open to the possibility that things could change. But yeah, things don't look good.
Haha..yeah, guess so.
Probably because my connection is not that fast enough, I've always looked for alternatives to play and have a decent experience, at least on my part.

MK vs DC Universe was just unplayable in my connection (laggy, no combos, nothing), at least in this one I can make 10 hits combos easily ,win, fatalities, etc. :D (Currently with 24 victories and 14 losses and #70 on the Player Match board! :O!! ..was expecting 0-10 or something...guess ranked Match will be 0-10.. :p)

At least on this one, they even said on the launch-party this past friday that their "big test" was after release, that they will seeing how things go as far as connection, glitches, etc. And that they'll be working on it as soon as they can.

Which reminds me I saw someone with 1000 wins / 1000 losses and 1000 respect points..so there may be other things that need fixing too; outside the netcode. :p

K701

Banned
UPS was supposed to deliver this and portal 2 today, but if it hasn't arrived by now then they probably lost my package. They are never late, and the only day they didn't come on time is when they lost my shit. (Of course they never admitted to losing it, they just kept saying to wait till the next day. I told Amazon & they refunded me)

GrayFoxPL

ThatCrazyGuy said:
What are people's opinions on the air game?

I have never liked that everybody has universal air normals for the most part. Seems like whoever jumps in the air first wins no matter what, not considering priority.

Erm Mortal Kombat? I think you're 19 years too late.

If you want to pick the alt colour of your fighter select your fighter with the start button. Also do not pick the CPU to be a female character when in practice mode...

LowParry

K701 said:
UPS was supposed to deliver this and portal 2 today, but if it hasn't arrived by now then they probably lost my package. They are never late, and the only day they didn't come on time is when they lost my shit. (Of course they never admitted to losing it, they just kept saying to wait till the next day. I told Amazon & they refunded me)

Or, the delivery guy left it at the wrong place and those who picked it up stole it from you. Yeah. I've had to deal with that once. What a day that was. :/

G-Fex said:
Well got it! Practicing with a few characters right now.

Sadly I never got it Urleh, but keeping in tradition with my other pick up picture, keeping the twilight poster in.

WD8UUm.jpg

I'd say you have poor taste because of Twilight, but that is far overshadowed by it being a poster for Alice (aka the only reason to watch the movies).

Anyanka said:
Tekken 6 went from complete garbage to sort of halfway playable. That's all I can think of.

What's depressing is that if this game is going to have a scene it NEEDS online.

It doesn't need online. It definitely hurts the scene though.

G-Fex

hikarutilmitt said:
I'd say you have poor taste because of Twilight, but that is far overshadowed by it being a poster for Alice (aka the only reason to watch the movies).

I don't care about twitlight I only care about Alice <3

Man, Stryker is so awesome. He's got one of the best x-rays around and that throwing move is just swell.

GrayFoxPL said:
Erm Mortal Kombat? I think you're 19 years too late.

Well, that's true, haha.

But if I remember correctly, at least the characters had different jump kicks in MK2. I think the ninja's had the worse ones? Shang, Baraka, Jax had good ones. Good in the sense, that they had higher priority when you jump kicked the opponent while close to them.

Plus Baraka's jumping punch was awesome :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anyanka said:
It was awful in it's own way. You'd get the usual delay plus the hit detection would be screwed up. It was unbelievable at times. This game doesn't get as glitched but the delay is probably worse. I would say MKDC on a good connection was better than this.

I suggest people on the fence think about past releases when the netcode impressions are mixed. We always hear give it time, the servers will be fixed, there's no lag, ect. Always. How often does it get better? yeaah...

It's heart breaking. :(

I think they fixed Tekken 6 net code in a post patch release? Or at least that's what I read. I never played that game either haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom