• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

venom2124 said:
Someone help me please because I'm a fighting game scrub. I'm getting demolished by
Shao Kahn at the end of the mk2 tourney
in story mode. Any good strategies?

Block and punish. Noticed if you lose a couple of times, Kahn starts taunting after he hits you more.

If you get distance throw fireballs.

FINALBOSS

Banned
How can the computer pull off some of these combos against me but I can't seem to do this shit in training?

Like I fought against Noob and he did a punch combo and then while I was flying backwards he sent a low shadow kick.

I'm trying it right now in training and it is IMPOSSIBLE to do...seriously.

The input in this thing is kinda odd.

Ronabo

venom2124 said:
Someone help me please because I'm a fighting game scrub. I'm getting demolished by
Shao Kahn at the end of the mk2 tourney
in story mode. Any good strategies?

Spam fireballs from the edge of the screen as fast as you can. If you get the timing down you can keep him pinned down and he'll die due to taunting or chip damage.

MightyKAC

Just got my copy of this today in the mail. Holy crap, this game is awesome. The presentation, the game play, the raw shit-ton of content in this game is just un fucking believable. Thus games gonna be running my life for the next week or so, I'm sure.

Btw totally didn't know this game was 3D enabled when I bought it. And if anyone is wonder it's pretty damn good looking. And as far as I can tell it really doesn't affect frame rate at all. In game however I usually switch it off (I don't like wearing the glasses while I'm fighting) but for the cutscenes it's pretty cool add-on. Overall I'd say very well done as far as 3D implementation is concerned.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mortal Kombat still has awkward gameplay.

Thankfully, now, it looks better.
Some stage design is REALLY nice and epic. I can't be excited for characters based on hwo many there are, when they all share SO MANY NORMALS, but I do love the attention to detail they put in what they actually changed (Uppercuts, Sweeps, and of course, specials.)

2 stupid glitches I encountered (360):
  • When doing the "Quan Chi mind control's Kano!" Challenge tower mission (in the 20s) the game showed me buttons that DIDN'T corrospond to my stick, which had a custom config. The buttons ONLY worked with a default Config. This was really annoying.
  • After THAT happens, I noticed 2 vertecies on Kano's Model were stuck at the back, where he started walking. I quite the mode, and thought nothing of it. So I headed to start story mode, and lo and behold, Reptil and Cage had pieces of their geometry getting stuck ALL OVER THE SCREEN, stuck tounges, bowties, pretty much anything with physics. Had to restart the game to cure this.

Ugh. I will admit this game feels like 2 different games VS when you're flailing as a Noob
(Saibot, which actually is an awesome character)
, and actually trying to master one. But WHY IS EVERYTHING STILL SO STUPID?!?! I will never understand why Sub Zero tosses a FIREBALL from his HAND with a KICK button. Argh.

Also annoyed at odd "false" hitstun on moves. A character will stagger back dramatically, and you'll do a move that LOOKS like it should hit, but for some reason, the character can start blocking "during" the stagger. It's not a horrible thing, but I wish this game had more normalized staggering, rather than effects stuff that serves little purpose.

Block + Button is also one of the oddest layouts for EX moves I've ever seen, lol. And then you have things like Kano's roll, were it's EXed by pressing a button, but has no button naturally... there's just SO MANY ODD DECISIONS. X-Rays feel pretty natural, however, Don't mind throws or the variety of tags either. In the tag aspect, it's almost like getting Skullgirls early! ^_^

I'm, so far, more willing to learn THIS game than MKvsDC, however. It does feel more competent, but I'll have to see how it stands up to intense gameplay for a few days before I really get comfortable with it...

Zeliard

mr. puppy said:
kabal was one of the best characters in the game, so you weren't exactly unique.

I meant from a casual standpoint rather than anything actually competitive, since MK was never something I delved deeply into. Kabal was always my favorite (for totally superficial reasons) but friends and such never played or talked about him much as I recall. I liked Cyrax as well but he's always been hugely popular.

scoobs said:
Kabal is an animal, one of the best characters by a long shot IMO

Pretty cool to hear.

RedAssedApe

Banned
SAB CA said:
I will never understand why Sub Zero tosses a FIREBALL from his HAND with a KICK button. Argh.

This annoyed me quite a bit too in the demo. Sub Zero has no specials that use BP...why not use that button instead of making it confusing for us noobs. Same with scorpion's teleport punch...why is it with KICK?! It makes specials harder to memorize when you're learning all the characters and the button inputs that correspond don't match up like most games. I mean maybe I'm just a super noob here...is there a method to this madness that I'm missing?

:\

Zeliard

Xevren said:
Seriously, it's like a Ryu player thinking he's unique.

That analogy would work better with Scorpion or Sub-Zero, not a relatively obscure character who didn't show up until three games in. Regardless, that wasn't even the point.

Can anybody tell me what the hell Smoke's Shake move does? He just sits there. Completely vulnerable to attack. No damage done based on proximity. Am I missing something?

Also, sometimes I teleport from the top of the screen all Sheeva style. How am I doing that?

Xevren

SerArthurDayne said:
Can anybody tell me what the hell Smoke's Shake move does? He just sits there. Completely vulnerable to attack. No damage done based on proximity. Am I missing something?

Also, sometimes I teleport from the top of the screen all Sheeva style. How am I doing that?

Use shake against projectiles. If you're porting from the top you're using his EX teleport punch.

Pimpbaa

Teknopathetic said:
"Why is there no body damage in story mode?"

Same reason there're no fatalities.

If they left in x-ray moves in story mode, then they should have left body damage in. Much more plausible for someone to get a change of clothes and clean up after a fight than to continue on in story mode with broken bones.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pardon me if I missed this upthread... wasn't there supposed to be an offline replay saving system in MK? Thought I read about it in an interview...?

Khezu

Pimpbaa said:
If they left in x-ray moves in story mode, then they should have left body damage in. Much more plausible for someone to get a change of clothes and clean up after a fight than to continue on in story mode with broken bones.

The cutscenes are pre recorded, so kinda makes battle damage very hard/impossible.

RS4-

SAB CA said:
2 stupid glitches I encountered (360):

[*]When doing the "Quan Chi mind control's Kano!" Challenge tower mission (in the 20s) the game showed me buttons that DIDN'T corrospond to my stick, which had a custom config. The buttons ONLY worked with a default Config. This was really annoying.

Yeah it's annoying but if it says Y, then you should hit BP, etc.

Pimpbaa

Khezu said:
The cutscenes are pre recorded, so kinda makes battle damage very hard/impossible.

I'd rather a cool feature stay in the game rather than being worried about gameplay to cutscene transitions.

Weenerz

Banned
Bought the blu-rays for Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation, and since I don't have the game or a console to play the game on, I have two free codes to get the classic Jade character costume. So let's make this interesting, till 2am EST, I am taking submissions for funniest MK related picture. Top two get the codes. Post them in this thread please.

Is there any way to make your own single event, like pick your guy, your enemy and your stage?

I tried doing it in practice mode but my opponent wouldn't die, they kept getting their health back.

fernoca

Kaijima said:
Pardon me if I missed this upthread... wasn't there supposed to be an offline replay saving system in MK? Thought I read about it in an interview...?
Haven't head about one.

Anyway, finally beat Story Mode, Arcade ladder without Blocking, and bought all alt-costumes from the Krypt. XD ..now to take a break.

I'm not worried about online yet... The single player content is well worth 60 bucks.

the presentation,graphics, sound, and game modes are really good. the fighting engine is classic MK with some improvements. I love it.

single player gameplay is enough for me.

Teknoman

I hope online is YMMV, especially since I havent had any trouble with the main Capcom fighters or Blazblue this gen. Soul Calibur was ok online.

Whats this button config stuff about?

venom2124

Ronabo said:
Spam fireballs from the edge of the screen as fast as you can. If you get the timing down you can keep him pinned down and he'll die due to taunting or chip damage.
Thanks it worked. Once I got the timing it was simple.

fernoca said:
Haven't head about one.

Anyway, finally beat Story Mode, Arcade ladder without Blocking, and bought all retro costumes from the Krypt. XD ..now to take a break.
woah what? its possible to get the retro costumes?

gray_fox224 said:
Anyone turned the music up in the game? I think the default is too low

Yeah, I put it up at 100% and its better although I think it could be up a few more-- but for story mode its fine where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom