• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I just don't understand the decision."

Because they thought their game worked better with a block button. Just like Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur.

Saterium

Weird, most of my online player matches are lag free but ranked matches turn into a laggy mess. (on PS3)

Hopefully this gets fixed somehow.

AAK said:
I think You'll really like Virtua Fighter

No, lol, I actually do like Virtua Fighter. But that's become such second nature now thanks to the fact that game only uses 3 buttons.

Plus there's nobody firing projectiles or teleporting across the screen. Reacting to that stuff with a button press (MK) instead of back (SF), just feels odd.

Practice, practice, practice.

MrMephistoX

Having fun but I can't figure out how to remap the controls; selecting type 1,2,3 or 4 doesn't seem to change anything. Am I missing something?

"Having fun but I can't figure out how to remap the controls; selecting type 1,2,3 or 4 doesn't seem to change anything. Am I missing something?"

Press down.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Antitype said:
No, lol, I actually do like Virtua Fighter. But that's become such second nature now thanks to the fact that game only uses 3 buttons.

Plus there's nobody firing projectiles or teleporting across the screen. Reacting to that stuff with a button press (MK) instead of back (SF), just feels odd.

Practice, practice, practice.

I think part of the general logic is that MK is a hyper aggressive game... having block on the button lets you play more VF style indeed where you can dash forward and block instantly without holding back. Plus, you need to think more about when you should really block.

Oddly enough, the separate block button is something that was more grandfathered from MK1 which well, wasn't really well designed. Since then, MK's play sorta evolved to make proper use of it.

bathala

Banned
the sub zero vs scorpion story mode was bad ass.
"in hell!"

EDIT: can I save and resume my story mode progression later?

EDIT 2: nvm it does resume

big_z

Replicant said:
2qdndkn.jpg

should have posted the video. much better imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz-AUoVhNtg

Ugh. I HATE fighting games that boss battles hard by making the bosses immune to attacks.

Sorry, you're not allowed to throw Goro. So there's really nothing to stop him from blocking you repeatedly. Have fun!

Fuckers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow local multi and test your luck looks godlike. If i was in undergrad this would probably be my goto game.

We played the crap out of the ps2 crappy ass 3d mk games.

Back in those days sc2 and sc3 were our goto games.

Still watching spooky stream.

regular arcade/ladder mode is fucking HARD once you get to Kintaro.

Story mode is cooler and seems like it could be a good learning tool for different characters. I think I may need to pick up the strategy guide though to have all the moves and combos at the ready.

Wait... so this game is good? Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while since I sold my PS3, but I'm planning on getting a new one... and MK is good again? Last MK I actually liked was UMK3.. wow! `

Story Mode's incredible.

As a beginner in this game and therefore a button masher, Sonya is a gift from baby Jesus. I don't know how I'm doing the things she's doing but I'm doing it

Any word on why they removed the customs soundtrack option in the PS3 version? It worked great in the demo, loved fighting to the MK movie theme. :/

Xevren

Teknopathetic said:
"Tekno whats the stream url?"

It's not up atm, haven't seen anyone online who wants to join yet.

I'll send you a friend invite if you still want to play, hopefully it's not too laggy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ninja Scooter said:
regular arcade/ladder mode is fucking HARD once you get to Kintaro.

Story mode is cooler and seems like it could be a good learning tool for different characters. I think I may need to pick up the strategy guide though to have all the moves and combos at the ready.
Yeah, Kintaro kicked my ass. Much harder than Shao Kahn, lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game is fucking AWESOME. I am pretty sure I've played it for pretty much 11 hours straight, I had nothing else going on today.

I'm up to 136 on the tower already, beat ladder with 6 people, played some online. I haven't even touched story mode yet. The online has been hit or miss, ranked is taking forever to find people and the one match I played was super laggy. KotH was better, it's much easier to join a room and challenge people. I already got a flawless victory with scorpion, game was very smooth and actually let me get off what I wanted.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just finished watching Mortal Kombat on blu-ray. Such a nostalgia rush!

Between that and the game Im still not MK'd out :lol

fernoca

Yay! Turned all my friends and they all bought it!..All 4 of them! :p

Test Your Luck local = priceless
Online + armless = lol XD (chicken fight! :p)

Story Mode was really intense both story-wise and gameplay.

Tower/Evil Monastery music is my favorite of the new-remixes. Plus they threw the original versions too into the mix.

gogojira

Dug through a few pages and probably looked right over it, but how do you unlock the classic fatality? I've got the classic suit for Reptile, but his third fatality still has a ??.

AiTM

Banned
Does anyone know how to play online tag team with a friend? either ranked or player match...it says on the box you can team up and fight online

Nemesis_

It's amazing how, despite being spoiled on so many story elements of other more "bigger" games, I've still managed to see NO fatalities outside of the ones in the demo.

Hopefully if I get lucky, I'll have a copy sitting on MY AUSTRALIAN LAP soon.

Ilive1up

I've been using kung lao.

His moves are pretty simple to pick up, and his teleport moves are really sweet.

Noob's moves are really great, too.

Time to master!

parasight

Final story fight spoiler:

Fuck Shao Kahn and his fullscreen charge. It made it so hard to beat him. Spent a good hour trying to beat him with Raiden

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is it just me or is there something wrong with the audio. Its like watching TV where the volume level varies between commercials and programming even when the volume levels are tweaked in the options. Seems like I have to bump thing up to hear the diagloue in the cutscenes but when it switches to the fights its too damn loud.

Gotta agree with the button mapping annoyances too. I can't seem to settle on anything I like. Why can't I map multiple buttons as block in the middle? I feel like they are doing this on purpose to make people buy the new stick :p

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Zeliard said:
How does Kabal play?

Yes, I was one of the three Kabal fans back in the crazy 90s. :p
Four. Stand up and be counted!

Just beat arcade mode with Kratos. Got about six chapters in on Story mode...the number of 2 on 1 fights just made me go ARGH. Still - just like back in the day - the game is so much fun that the cheap stuff doesn't bother me. Great job, NR.

fernoca

By the way, since some..reviews..deducted points because of the story mode not having difficulty settings.

• 1 Player
  • Options
  • Gameplay
  • Story Mode Difficulty: Beginner, Easy, Medium (default), Hard, Expert
Also for those having problems during some of the fights. Played the entire Story Mode at medium, ignoring that it could be easier... XD ..oh well.

The options for subtitles it's also there.

And yep, you can skip cutscenes after finishing the Story Mode. (Press X on PS3 twice or A on 360 twice). Only cutscene/movie-files. Realtime cutscenes can't be skipped.

Xevren

Aye, GG's. Would have stayed longer but my dpad on this madcatz fightpad is dying. That last match it just kept sticking down, drove me nuts. Sorry about that awful noob match, I picked him on accident and didn't know a single move with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom