• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weenerz said:
Bought the blu-rays for Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation, and since I don't have the game or a console to play the game on, I have two free codes to get the classic Jade character costume. So let's make this interesting, till 2am EST, I am taking submissions for funniest MK related picture. Top two get the codes. Post them in this thread please.

897913b390b4850e2d715d83d134e1a7-d3ec1o0.png

JohngPR

gray_fox224 said:
Anyone turned the music up in the game? I think the default is too low

It seems like the sound in general is lower than all of my other games. Anyone else getting this same problem? PS3 version here.

Enk

makes good threads.
Good games as always Lyte. I tried to invite more people into the King of the Hill but once it's started I wasn't able to send anymore invites. :-/

Prodigal

Banned
Weenerz said:
Bought the blu-rays for Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation, and since I don't have the game or a console to play the game on, I have two free codes to get the classic Jade character costume. So let's make this interesting, till 2am EST, I am taking submissions for funniest MK related picture. Top two get the codes. Post them in this thread please.

ninjaband.jpg

Enk

makes good threads.
SAB CA said:
I will never understand why Sub Zero tosses a FIREBALL from his HAND with a KICK button. Argh.

I think it's more because of the button placement. In the old games Sub Zero would use LP for the freeze ball and that button was located where the kick button is now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Weenerz said:

6WTZb.gif

Weenerz said:

205ywyv.png

FINALBOSS

Banned
Is it just me...or is the online seriously sucking cocks in hell right now?

I invited my friend to a private match and it was lag city.

infinityBCRT said:
Have you played any story mode yet? Or are you holding off until you get better?
I suck at this game and I doubt I am going to get much better, complex moves are hard for me to pull off even in the practice mode. I'm doomed to be a button-masher I think.

But I played Stryker in versus mode and I love his x-ray attack. His win animation is pretty awesome too :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
henhowc said:
This annoyed me quite a bit too in the demo. Sub Zero has no specials that use BP...why not use that button instead of making it confusing for us noobs. Same with scorpion's teleport punch...why is it with KICK?! It makes specials harder to memorize when you're learning all the characters and the button inputs that correspond don't match up like most games. I mean maybe I'm just a super noob here...is there a method to this madness that I'm missing?

:\

I think it's just classic stuff. Classic stuff I swear needs to DIE, lol. Jad has staff combos that start staff motions with kick buttons. Ermac has a fireball motion of the same move on a punch, and then a teleport on a kick.

As far as the method to the madness, I guess they're trying to say "the top button is the original, the bottom is a modifier of the original", as SF and EVERY OTHER FIGHTER does by having different strengths of punches or kicks... but I'll always hate how un-intuitive it makes the combos and rememberance of special moves.

It reall kills the "pick up and play" nature of a large amount of the cast, for me. I can remember Subby and Scorp, because "thats how they were in MK 1 and 2!"

I just think it's a really poor design decision. And don't even get me started on how awkward this move input buffer feels... :lol:

Enk said:
I think it's more because of the button placement. In the old games Sub Zero would use LP for the freeze ball and that button was located where the kick button is now.

Hmmm... back in MK1 then, I take it? I do remember having rapid fire face or chest punches back then. It's been so long since I've played it and 2, that I really don't remember WHAT their buttons were there anymore... Guess my thoughts for it stop at UMK3 (with a VERY brief stop at Deception)

crimzonflame said:
Lol. Reminds me of Terry's rising tackle.

No no, rising taco is punches, but power dunk is with kicks! :lol: I'm so glad they kept it o a minumum over the years (normally only forcing moves from other games onto senseless motions, part of why I appreciate some of the smaller movesets in XII and XIII; it gets back to the basics), and I guess there's always Sagat's low TIGER shots to make fun of!

RS4- said:
Yeah it's annoying but if it says Y, then you should hit BP, etc.

They did such a good job making the movelist get the right buttons, that this was REALLY suprising, lol. I wish they'd just say "FP and BP", but, yeah. Suprised there's no option for THAT, either. It's really odd using a TE stick, and seeing "RT" and "RB" used for Strong punches and kicks...

Random Side note: I'd wish Mortal Kombat would get more than 2 base female body models, first off (the second being Sheeva's! So it barely counts), and 2, why Can't Sonya ever look as plesant in 3D, as the real women who played her? MK 1, 2, and movie 1 Sonya's were all attractive... why does she look beat with the ug-lee stick in near every 3D release?

Replicant

Weenerz said:

2qdndkn.jpg

mjc

FINALBOSS said:
Is it just me...or is the online seriously sucking cocks in hell right now?

I invited my friend to a private match and it was lag city.
Yeah I can't even get invites from my friend to do 1v1. On top of that we can't get rooms to show up either. 360 version here. Has Boon said anything about it yet? Seems like it's a problem on both consoles.

My private matches have generally been great but trying to get a lag free match by other means is a pain in the ass.

Also I'm tired of people selected Smoke just to back up, teleport, smoke throw. It's very annoying.

Teknoman

Can you uppercut people through ceilings? Also, can anyone comment on how the remixed themes sound compared to the classic stage versions? Because the Courtyard 2k11 theme sounds awesome.

Tokubetsu

This is easily the best audio experience I've had with a fighting game, ever. I'm melting with my sub-woofer. In some of those cutscenes, it sounds like a kung-fu movie. Love it!

played it for a few hours today and while i can't say it's a better fighter than MVC3, i still like the game a lot and the effort they put into all the extras should make capcom ashamed

fernoca

n3ss said:
Fastest way to unlock all the characters?
Story Mode. There's only the 2 I didn't included in the OT. :p

It's also the fastest way to get money..currently have over 130k-koins (finished the Story Mode) and went and purchased all the alt-costumes at the Krypt.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Here's my entry for the MK LOLZ pic:

8Cw8n.jpg

Enk said:
Good games as always Lyte. I tried to invite more people into the King of the Hill but once it's started I wasn't able to send anymore invites. :-/

Yeah, that was fun! I wanted to play more, but had to stop to get ready for work tomorrow, boo, hiss.

The game is fun; it doesn't touch the likes of SSF4/MvC3/etc in my book, but I'm still happy I picked it up. I double-dipped and so far have found the online play on PS3 kind of bad (I keep getting kicked out of matches when rematching), and pretty decent on 360. It also takes forever to find player and ranked matches...it's much quicker to just go into a room and challenge people.

And the rage-quitters are out in full force. This was from one the first matches I had on PS3:

X9Izcl.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
Booting up PS3 version now...

I'm not sure WHY but I'm EXCITED about this game. Something genuine that I experienced regarding a game in forever. Excited about MORTAL KOMBAT.

Strange times.

Teknoman

Oh c'mon, people quitting at fatailities? Man...they've got to patch something in to stop that, or at least make the character model stay so you get to do your move.

Teknoman

TommyManberg said:
Is there a list of all the fatalities in the game and how to perform them? (Including stage fatalties?)

Press start and check out the move list. I know it lists 1 fataility and stage fatality.

The Antitype said:
Whoever decided that blocking should be a BUTTON instead of just holding back is a fucking nimrod.

Its been like that since MK I though. It helps when performing fatalities.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Teknoman said:
Oh c'mon, people quitting at fatailities? Man...they've got to patch something in to stop that, or at least make the character model stay so you get to do your move.

I've had a couple quitters and it still gives me the win. I'm fine with missing a fatality cinematic as long as I get credit for beating their sorry ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom