• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathala

Banned
psh goro was nothing. kept my distant then spam fire ball and bicycle kick

snap! i thought it was over...
mk2 story continues

Teknoman

henhowc said:
Is it just me or is there something wrong with the audio. Its like watching TV where the volume level varies between commercials and programming even when the volume levels are tweaked in the options. Seems like I have to bump thing up to hear the diagloue in the cutscenes but when it switches to the fights its too damn loud.

Gotta agree with the button mapping annoyances too. I can't seem to settle on anything I like. Why can't I map multiple buttons as block in the middle? I feel like they are doing this on purpose to make people buy the new stick :p

Right now, everyones just adjusting the volume levels manually...but could something like this even be fixed in a patch, or is it going to be like this for the long run?

Unicorn

Teknopathetic said:
GGs Xevran and Jake.
Still streaming?
Teknoman said:
Right now, everyones just adjusting the volume levels manually...but could something like this even be fixed in a patch, or is it going to be like this for the long run?
Well, they could have the "dialogue" audio option tie into Cutscenes as well. Dunno why they didn't.

Pachinko

Well I spent a bit of time in story mode and challenge mode, lost 1 ranked match (lag was a constant 400+ms behind what seemed to be occurring onscreen) and I think I really like this game.

I was always indifferent towards past MK titles but this one I can safely say I am enjoying legitimately. My earlier question about costume changing was eventually answered with some dicking around. It'd be nice if there was an onscreen prompt or if hitting A would still bring up the costume select. Some strange issues to have for a game with an extra 6 months in the oven. Wonder how it would have turned out if it came out last year?

But yeah, having fun with it.

Retrofluxed

So, I've got an extra Jade code. Would anyone like to trade another code for it? I'd really like Mileena but I'll take anyone other than Reptile (PS3).

DasRaven

I just tried to redeem my Reptile code from Amazon and it isn't valid!

Ermac, Jade, and online pass all worked flawlessly and now I'm waiting for feedback from the Amazon team in charge of such things.

fernoca

AiTM said:
Does anyone know how to play online tag team with a friend on xbox live...anyone?
Don't know if it's the same on 360; but on PS3 you just need the 2 controllers/players, choose 2 Players Mode on the menu (Press Up in Fight, this will choose 1 Player Mode, press right to choose 2 Players) and then choose Online

Up to 4 people can play, but 3-4 are offline/local only.

Pimpbaa

fernoca said:
By the way, since some..reviews..deducted points because of the story mode not having difficulty settings.
Seriously? I found it in options almost immediately after starting the game. Reviewers are becoming increasingly incompetent.

Tokubetsu

bishoptl said:
Four. Stand up and be counted!

Just beat arcade mode with Kratos. Got about six chapters in on Story mode...the number of 2 on 1 fights just made me go ARGH. Still - just like back in the day - the game is so much fun that the cheap stuff doesn't bother me. Great job, NR.

Yep. Great game is great.

buhdeh

Just played story mode with a bunch of buddies for 3 hours. GREAT game. I'm going to say I had more fun playing this than I ever had with Marvel vs Capcom 3. Love how it's so easy to get into and not difficult at all for beginners. This is probably the first fighting game story mode I enjoyed too. I always hated picking every individual character and fighting 10 random fighters to watch a 5 second ending. Really like how they connected chapters to the characters so you get a feel for every character in the game after finishing it. Loving the story as well (yes I know it is sort of bad) but that might be different for people who haven't grown up with MK. I just wished Liu Kang did his weird mumbling/screaming thing when he does the bicycle kick.

This is coming from a guy who has been a Street Fighter fan since forever and loved the original MvC. I haven't even played an MK game since UMK3 either.

Aske

Just finished my first session with the game.

Totally. Fucking. Awesome.

I haven't even touched story mode or challenge tower yet. My wife and I played a couple of hours in versus mode, just trying everyone out, getting a feel for the game, and being wowed by X-rays and Fatalities. I can't believe the success of the game's designers on that score - the vast majority of what we saw was jaw dropping. And the kombat itself is so much fun. I love how different the pace and rhythm of the game feels compared to other 2D fighters, and I don't remember the last time I favoured so many characters in a fighting game's roster so heavily. I feel like I already have a ton of favourites, and they number about 66% of the cast.

I ran through Arcade mode on medium with Noob Saibot to get to know him a bit better, then wandered around the Krypt, and unlocked a bunch of costumes. Most of the alts I've seen so far aren't really preferable to the normal costumes, but there are some cool ideas like Reptile's alt, and some instantly superior designs like Sub-Zero (just so I can always play Bi-Han!), Smoke (ninja suit is infinitely superior to high hair), and - fantastcially - Sonya. Her alt is just what I wanted after being so weirded out by her default look. I love her speed in this game, and her combos flow beautifully. She seems very accessible, like Johnny Cage did the first time I tried him in the demo. Never really favoured her in the past, but she's a blast to use in this game.

I also checked out the tutorial modes for curiosity's sake. Very neat, and well designed for anyone who wants to go over the fundamentals of the game.

MK's presentation is a straight-up flawless victory. The stages are not only numerous, they're phenomenally well designed. Every one I've seen so far (and I haven't seen them all) has been unique and immersive. There's no filler. And Dan Forden's musical score is godly. I'm still tweaking the levels to get the sound mix right (the one area of presentation in which the devs dropped the ball) because I want to give it room to breathe. It's too perfect to be muffled beneath SFX. I'll buy the soundtrack day 1, and I hope it gets announced soon.

I can't go gone online right now, so I have no comments on that aspect of the game. PSN is down for me, after being capricious for the last few days. Anyone else? Thankfully I managed to register my Sub-Zero and Scorpion retro codes without issue; just haven't been able to register my online pass. No worries, I'm sure it'll be back soon.

So yeah. After a good few hours with the game, it exceeded my unrealistic levels of hype, and I haven't even touched the bulk of the game. Couldn't be more impressed. Way to go NRS!

Oooooooooookay, where I can I find a list of combos?

Cause right now, I can't break five hits before Sub-Zero decides to take a nice long pause.

derFeef

I totally forgot I have the SF4 torunament stick around. I am going to try it today because that 360 d-pad is nuts. I literally have to push DOWN do make a BACK move. Because BACK performs a jump. Jesus christ...

Finally home, and took the Kollector's Edition of the UPS package

looks very nice

Too bad I'm gonna wait until tomorrow morning/afternoon to unwrap it and open the box lol

buhdeh

derFeef said:
I totally forgot I have the SF4 torunament stick around. I am going to try it today because that 360 d-pad is nuts. I literally have to push DOWN do make a BACK move. Because BACK performs a jump. Jesus christ...

360 pad is just awful for fighting games. I decided to pick this one up on PS3.

fernoca

Nice impressions Aske. :)

Thinking about it now, darn .. I played the game a lot in just the first day. :O!
  • Started and finished Story Mode (which is 6-8 hours)
  • Played 50 matches online
  • Beat the first 25 Challenges from Challenge Tower
  • Beat Arcade Ladder 2 times
  • Bought/got all alt-costumes (got the trophy for it too)
  • Played a few matches of Test your Luck with a friend that came by (he's returning tomorrow)
  • Completed the Tutorial
And I still have to check the individual Test your...modes and 275 Challenges, and have over 140k-koins to spend on the Krypt...and the 4 friends that were swearing they weren't going to buy this.. did, and are loving it.

So mission accomplished NetherRealm. Now fix the online-problems. :p

Just beat the story mode - so good. Played on Normal, and it was a definite challenge. The final boss beat the crap out of me for like 30 rounds. Best part is I unlocked like half the Krypt just by beating the story mode once.

I like how NRS made every character interesting in their own way - usually Scorpion is my goto guy and I never touch anyone else, but I'm not sure who I want to main yet. Every character has been a blast to play with.

gogojira

bangladesh said:
I'm stuck in story mode!
(The part where Liu Kang fights Scorpion and Quan Chi.)
Soo tough. Dx

The X, X, X combo makes
Quan Chi
friggin' cake. Seriously, just corner him and do that combo and you're golden.

buhdeh

PaddyOCanager said:
I like how NRS made every character interesting in their own way - usually Scorpion is my goto guy and I never touch anyone else, but I'm not sure who I want to main yet. Every character has been a blast to play with.

Completely agree

buhdeh said:
People with the new 360 rotating d-pad controller: does it help at all with playing fighting games on the 360?

In my honest opinion, not really. Maybe I should try out more fighting games with it instead of MvC3 and MK, but it still likes the d-pad is little messed up.

AiTM

Banned
fernoca said:
Don't know if it's the same on 360; but on PS3 you just need the 2 controllers/players, choose 2 Players Mode on the menu (Press Up in Fight, this will choose 1 Player Mode, press right to choose 2 Players) and then choose Online

Up to 4 people can play, but 3-4 are offline/local only.

So its local coop only? I cant play tag team with another friend over xbox live?

fernoca

Atruvius said:
Is there a gaf lobby where everybody is playing or what? I'm on PS3 and should get the game today.
Some added their usernames and stuff at the online thread.

Though not everyone's at the chat (only seen 3); so don't know if there's a separate thread. But at least on the spreadsheet you can check for other users. I'm not currently online, but you can see if others are.

If anything, some are also waiting till things are more...stabilized online. Lag varies a lot.

TheVampire said:
Does anyone else think that cutscene with Sindel was total BS?

You know what Im talkin about......
Kinda. But don't know what to say to avoid spoiler or teases. :p
Everything went really fast too. X|

AiTM said:
So its local coop only? I cant play tag team with another friend over xbox live?
Oh, you want to tag team with another friend online. Haven't tried that one; sorry.

I think the new 360 controller is a bit better.. but an issue I've had with it is pressing the butons so frantically in certain fights that I end up re-rotating the d-pad unintentionally.

I'm probably ultimately going to want an arcade stick, but this will do for a while.

Story mode is excellent.. once I finish that, I'll jump into the other stuff.

venom2124

To everyone who beat story mode, how the hell to did you win the last match? Seriously, the boss made me quit. I'll go back to it tomorrow, but I need a break.

Khezu

The Antitype said:
Think I'm going to end up maining one of the ninjas.

Which Ninja is fastest? Cause Sub Zero seems REALLY slow to me...

Probably smoke, dude is ridiculous, and amazing at anti zoning, Reptile is also pretty good and fast, but I haven't seen much of him yet.

fernoca

venom2124 said:
To everyone who beat story mode, how the hell to did you win the last match? Seriously, the boss made me quit. I'll go back to it tomorrow, but I need a break.
Patience. :p
Took me 5 tries on Medium, don't know if you can change the difficulty after your started for if it resets the save.

Was like Jump + Front Punch, combo FP+FP+BP..use
"the torpedo/Superman
from afar". X-Ray optional, but not mandatory since it barely does anything. :p

I've never liked fighting games (usually because of lack of skill) but this game is amazing. I can't say much about the nuts and bolts of the mechanics, but from a pure fun perspective this game is great. I'd recommend it to anybody.

The story mode is pretty awesome. Does anybody know if (early spoilers)
Cage's tux is an alt for him
?

antispin

venom2124 said:
This. Any tips for Shao Khan?

antispin said:
This. Any tips for Shao Khan?

I had to be really cheap.
Stay away from him at all times.
Keep ducking or jumping his projectiles then do that flying tackle thing over and over when he taunts.

venom2124 said:

Stay close, use your teleport to avoid the attack before it hits, then immediately uppercut from behind. Repeat that like 20 times, while using your x-ray attack when it's available.

MightyKAC

canadian crowe said:
I've never liked fighting games (usually because of lack of skill) but this game is amazing. I can't say much about the nuts and bolts of the mechanics, but from a pure fun perspective this game is great. I'd recommend it to anybody.

?

Yup, sure is. It's DL15 in the deadlands at the krypt If you wanna grab it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
canadian crowe said:
?

It's the first costume you see him in, hardly a spoiler and yea it's his alt.

MightyKAC

Khezu said:
Probably smoke, dude is ridiculous, and amazing at anti zoning, Reptile is also pretty good and fast, but I haven't seen much of him yet.

Smoke is godlike, and already picked as top tier by SRK.

I'm SOOO maining that motherfucker.

Rattles

I don't have the game yet. but what are the chances of them patching the bosses and making them playable in vs mode?

I want ma Goro! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom