• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoul

Pimpbaa said:
Seriously? I found it in options almost immediately after starting the game. Reviewers are becoming increasingly incompetent.

Which you can also change mid campaign. You can also skip story mode cut-scenes after your first play through.

NumSkull- said:
I don't have the game yet. but what are the chances of them patching the bosses and making them playable in vs mode?

I want ma Goro! :(

Ugh, it would probably be a total jumpfest (or whatever the hell the move is called) if Goro was playable

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lazybones18 said:
Ugh, it would probably be a total jumpfest (or whatever the hell the move is called) if Goro was playable

If you're talking about the move I think you are, that's Kintaro. And Sheeva has that move too. :p

Papercuts said:
If you're talking about the move I think you are, that's Kintaro. And Sheeva has that move too. :p

Haven't touched story mode yet, but
it's the move where Goro leaps across the floor and when he lands, the floor cracks. AFAIK, you can't block it and can only avoid by either jumping out of the way or being far away from the blast radius

I must say, I've never played a fighter with such sluggish controls.

Maybe it's jus the animation they've lovingly crafted that causes moves to come out a good third of a second after input.

But whatever it is, it's really putting me off.

X26

Banned
The Antitype said:
I must say, I've never played a fighter with such sluggish controls.

Maybe it's jus the animation they've lovingly crafted that causes moves to come out a good third of a second after input.

But whatever it is, it's really putting me off.

par for the course with 3D MK's unfortunately

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd sold.

Going back to the store tomorrow.

I don't have the patience for game design stuck back in the days of the arcades.

Fucking the player over every fourth fight or so with enemies that can pull specials out of thin-air to interrupt combos with nano-second timing, or block EVERY move you attempt to pull off no matter how much you vary it up is NOT good game design.

It's 'insert more quarters' bullshit.

And don't get me started on bosses that have built-in auto-counters or are immune to fundamental abilities (throwing).

The fighting system is pretty good, but the sluggish controls and the bad latency makes it un-enjoyable.

I'll stick to SSF4.

derFeef

The Antitype said:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd sold.

Going back to the store tomorrow.

I don't have the patience for game design stuck back in the days of the arcades.

Fucking the player over every fourth fight or so with enemies that can pull specials out of thin-air to interrupt combos with nano-second timing, or block EVERY move you attempt to pull off no matter how much you vary it up is NOT good game design.

It's 'insert more quarters' bullshit.

And don't get me started on bosses that have built-in auto-counters or are immune to fundamental abilities (throwing).

The fighting system is pretty good, but the sluggish controls and the bad latency makes it un-enjoyable.

I'll stick to SSF4.
So how is the Versus?

Dre3001

The Antitype said:

I'll stick to SSF4.

What do u mean when you mention sluggish controls??

My main gripe with the newer MK games is that all seem to play stiff as hell and not as fluid or fast as the older MK games like MK2 or UMK3. Is this the case with MK9??

Dre3001 said:

My main gripe with the newer MK games is that all seem to play stiff as hell and not as fluid or fast as the older MK games like MK2 or UMK3. Is this the case with MK9??

Haven't played an MK since number 2, so I can't tell you. Just feels a little sluggish, like there's lag from the input on the controller to the moves actually coming out.

And why the fuck does the giant circle icon indicating an xray move light up BEFORE the bar is full? I've fucked up so many times trying to pull off one of those cause I see the flashing icon. Just retarded little design decisions throughout this game.

SmokeMaxX

The Antitype said:

Seth/Gill? Capcom's AI is like this: Try hard and get screwed. Employ some dumb strategy like random ultra or spam heavy kick and get rewarded.

And most people say MK9 only feels sluggish when you don't adjust to the system. The game wasn't made by Capcom; it shouldn't be played like Street Fighter.

omg woo, while my KE is not here yet game sent me an email with the scorpion, mileena and jade classic codes, along with the ermac I get in the KE :eek:

anyone want the ladies in swap for sub-zero?

Dre3001 said:

I thought it was sluggish at first too, but I started going through the ladder or whatever it's called, the challenges, and it trains you up pretty quickly. Once you get used to the play mechanic it's quite fast. It plays like UMK3.

Also, it seems like they actually tuned the game to play well with the analog stick on the controller. I was too lazy to dig out my arcade stick, I started out playing with the d-pad and was finding it difficult to consistently pull off most of the specials. Switched to the analog stick and it's surprisingly playable.

Lothars

So I have to say that I love the story mode in the game, it's great and worth it to play, I also like all the modes but I think the Fighting system is not fun at all, it's dissapointing really but it feels to me they really haven't done many improvements to the fighting system, I would still recommend anyone to play it who is interested but I don't see this game keeping me interested once I get through all the singleplayer stuff.

Edit: I love playing as Smoke though just played with him for the first time and he's a blast to play as.

As someone who hasn't played a fighting game since MK3 on the PS1, should I get this game?

I've seen all the Giant Bomb coverage and I'm quite interested in it.

Is there anything in game which could help me learn how to play the game? Will I enjoy it even if I'm not very good at it? The story mode appeals to me as I probably wont be playing MP that much.

The game comes out on my birthday tomorrow (UK release), so should I get it or not?

Lothars

ashbash159 said:
As someone who hasn't played a fighting game since MK3 on the PS1, should I get this game?

Is there anything in game which could help me learn how to play the game? Will I enjoy it even if I'm not very good at it? The story mode appeals to me as I probably wont be playing MP that much.

The game comes out on my birthday tomorrow (UK release), so should I get it or not?

Yes, I would recommend for you to get it, there's a decent training mode and it has some cool stuff about it plus there's a fair bit of singleplayer content to play even if you don't plan to play online.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. Was excited to have the Reptile Klassic pack, but it turns out Reptile kinda sucks. -_-

Ah well. Really liking Ermac and Kung Lao, though.

Lothars

The Antitype said:
All of the pre-order stuff can be unlocked in the game with the currency you earn.

Everybody knows that right?

I was under the impression that all of the preorder stuff cannot be unlocked in the game, do you have a link or anything to show how to unlock it?

I don't believe it is unlockable without those codes.

ashbash159 said:

If you liked MK3 you'll like this. The Story mode is pretty great, what I've seen so far. There are plenty of training options in the game. The general training mode and the ladder are good tutorials. The fatality trainer is crap though. It basically gives you one shot and then you have to restart whether you get it or not, takes several seconds to retry which is a pretty awful experience. They should have set it up so you could just keep executing the same fatality over and over just to get the button combo down without interruption. Honestly I'd like the option to not even see the fatality. Just let me do the combo and give me an audio cue for success or fail and let me do it repeatedly.

Lothars said:
I was under the impression that all of the preorder stuff cannot be unlocked in the game, do you have a link or anything to show how to unlock it?

I don't believe it is unlockable without those codes.

Forget it, I was wrong.

Also, whoever said Smoke is God tier was right. Holy shit.

Why the hell is Sub Zero so slow and stiff, while Smoke is so fast and smooth. You can combo into and out of anything with him!

panda21

can't quite decide whether to get the 360 or ps3 version, is there any difference? the ps3 pad is probably good for it, but i also have a 360 madcatz pad

Nyx

The Antitype said:
Forget it, I was wrong.

Also, whoever said Smoke is God tier was right. Holy shit.

Why the hell is Sub Zero so slow and stiff, while Smoke is so fast and smooth. You can combo into and out of anything with him!

Didn't know those ninjas were in Dead or Alive 4 now ?

;)

Sub Zero was never a fast character. He was always the slowest of the ninjas, because he has the most devastating attacks. If I remember UMK3 Arcade correctly, Ermac, Smoke, Rain (he was playable in an arcade version that wasn't released) and Noob were the fastest, and then followed by Reptile, Scorpion, and SubZero, in pretty much that order.

Are there any comprehensive(including the basic combos) moves list online yet? I'm mostly looking for copies of whats ingame so that I can look them over while waiting in King of the hill.

NeonZ

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
Sub Zero was never a fast character. He was always the slowest of the ninjas, because he has the most devastating attacks. If I remember UMK3 Arcade correctly, Ermac, Smoke, Rain (he was playable in an arcade version that wasn't released) and Noob were the fastest, and then followed by Reptile, Scorpion, and SubZero, in pretty much that order.

No. He was playable in the SNES/Genesis versions of UMK3, alongside Noob Saibot. Rain never had character data in the arcade games, not even for an unplayable character.

Minamu

Goddamnit :( Release dates say 20th but noooo, neither of the two stores I checked had it on shelves and the biggest one had only ordered 4 copies for each platform so I had to pre-order one for tomorrow :(

FrozenCartman.jpg

I only had a chance to play for an hour last night, and I'm itching to play more.

The game is a love letter to the best era of the franchise. It's everything that made Mortal Kombat great and contains little (if any) of the junk that bogged the series down after MK3.

I reached the first two fights with Scorpion in Story Mode. So. Awesome.

Interfectum

FunnyBunny said:
I only had a chance to play for an hour last night, and I'm itching to play more.

The game is a love letter to the best era of the franchise. It's everything that made Mortal Kombat great and contains little (if any) of the junk that bogged the series down after MK3.

I reached the first two fights with Scorpion in Story Mode. So. Awesome.

I like how they focus on MK1-3 but they dont completely forget the MKs past that. There are a lot of winks and nods towards MK4+ and I especially love Shang Tsung's clown fatality (the uncensored Joker MKvsDC fatality).

.la1n

I guess it's the 90s me talking but I am loving the story mode, I'm a little over halfway through it and it reminds me so much of the original mortal kombat movie (in a good way.) I play SSF4 and MvC3 as well but I actually enjoy the "hey let's just have blood and craziness everywhere" mentality behind MK, it keeps it fresh after playing the other more technical fighters.

That isn't to say you can't pull off some pretty insane combos once you get the hang of a character you like. A lot of love went into this game so I whole heartedly support it's purchase GAF.

nero2082

got the game and I'm already hooked and after playing it for 3 hours I can say without regrets that NR successfully revived the series, fatality lives!

I can't see this game getting boring after a month or so, this one has some depth, everything's there - you can easily develop your playstyle because tools for it are there, you can play it just like old style MK or go further with creating some sick custom combos n stuff.

My fav char ( <---) is as good as ever, props for that.

Got some concerns about netcode, it's not smooth on king of the hill for 8plyrs (noticeable delay in input), but if you get connected with some1 with green connection (Europe for me) then it's fine, for now I recommend lobbies closest to your location, 1vs1 is pretty fine)

this game is gonna be BIG, I love it already.

Looking at some pics of the UK collectors figure on TRMK, man what a cop out! looks shit compared to the amazing well painted book ends, look at this shit for £50:

20042011421.jpg

20042011422.jpg

And no steelbook in the UK, I feel robbed

NEO0MJ

Diablohead said:
Looking at some pics of the UK collectors figure on TRMK, man what a cop out! looks shit compared to the amazing well painted book ends, look at this shit for
And no steelbook in the UK, I feel robbed

Wow, looking at it up close makes it look horrible, almost as bad as the SF4 figures.

_dementia said:
No, it's mandatory.
Really? How come I didn't see any install screen? I hope there is install cause there was a little bit laggy/glitchy the first time I started the game (not so much after a few rounds of battle).

That said, started the game at midnight and kept on playing until 4:30am. Wanted to continue more but I have exam in 2 hours lol. Finished tag arcade mode once with Kratos/Smoke (me being Kratos, brother being Smoke. Got smoke's ending). Goddamnit Kratos is such a waste of space. All his attacks are heavy attacks and there are no fast attacks. His combos are shit and his moves are generally easy to block. Shit-tier for me, Kratos is.

Played Story mode and stopped until chapter 4. Story is so cheesy yet so good!

Cage, Sonya, Scorpion are god-tier! So much fun playing with them.

Played two rounds of online with the same guy. Matched me up with a noob with 0/0 record so that's awesome (either that or everyone is a noob right now).

All in all, it's a great game! And yes, Shang Tsung was hardest of all the bosses! What an ass he is! Fun beating him two on one though! :p

Oh and I love how tag system works flawlessy for co-op. I expect no less from future SF or Tekken games.

kiryogi

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Really? How come I didn't see any install screen? I hope there is install cause there was a little bit laggy/glitchy the first time I started the game (not so much after a few rounds of battle).

That said, started the game at midnight and kept on playing until 4:30am. Wanted to continue more but I have exam in 2 hours lol. Finished tag arcade mode once with Kratos/Smoke (me being Kratos, brother being Smoke. Got smoke's ending). Goddamnit Kratos is such a waste of space. All his attacks are heavy attacks and there are no fast attacks. His combos are shit and his moves are generally easy to block. Shit-tier for me, Kratos is.

Played Story mode and stopped until chapter 4. Story is so cheesy yet so good!

Cage, Sonya, Scorpion are god-tier! So much fun playing with them.

Played two rounds of online with the same guy. Matched me up with a noob with 0/0 record so that's awesome (either that or everyone is a noob right now).

All in all, it's a great game! And yes, Shang Tsung was hardest of all the bosses! What an ass he is! Fun beating him two on one though! :p

Oh and I love how tag system works flawlessy for co-op. I expect no less from future SF or Tekken games.

The install is in the background as you play. If you check on your gamedata, you'll notice it's probably at least a gig if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom