• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshwaaz

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
Also, it seems like they actually tuned the game to play well with the analog stick on the controller. I was too lazy to dig out my arcade stick, I started out playing with the d-pad and was finding it difficult to consistently pull off most of the specials. Switched to the analog stick and it's surprisingly playable.
I also find this to be the case, with the exception of the tap-tap specials. I found those to be difficult to pull of quickly and consistently with the analog.

Once I get my KE if I can't stomach that terrible paint job after a few days I might go about painting it myself with some games workshop paints, make it look real uber awesomesauce!

shagg_187 said:
Question: played around with some of the Kombat Kodes that I remember from MK3. 111-111 unlocks Tournament Mode. WTF does that do i.e. tournament mode?
I read that it removes a few things like forground objects, no fatalities and so on.

MightyKAC

kiryogi said:
The install is in the background as you play. If you check on your gamedata, you'll notice it's probably at least a gig if not more.

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this but, a stealth mandatory install??

That, is a god damn miracle of fucking programing right there. More games need to have this.

Atruvius

Yes! I just got home and postman had brought my MK.

I don't know if I'll start story first or if I'll try a couple characters first. Tough choice! Gotta first try Kratos and Smoke.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
MightyKAC said:
I know I'm a bit late to the party on this but, a stealth mandatory install??

That, is a god damn miracle of fucking programing right there. More games need to have this.

I know some Koei games (Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll and Dynasty Warriors 7) also do it. Those were the first I heard of. But yeah, it's a really nice feature.

Got to play about 20-30 matches with my buddy, which was more or less button mashing and doing the moves we could recall from memory. I'm really looking forward to digging into this one, got the hardcover guide coming in the mail today. Not sure what two or three I want to main. Noob will be one, regardless that it seems everyone else is. He's damn fun to play with.

Sblargh

Banned
Me S2 MK
Finished story mode, on the 100th tower challenge. Leaving the "real game" for a bit later. Only did Johnny Cage's and Liu Kang's ending on ladder.
My thoughts:
Story mode is awesome, could be better; characterization could be better, some events could be less rushed. Ending major spoiler ahead:
We should be able to play as villains. Since Sindel just invades and murders everyone, we could play as Kano killing Jax, Sektor killing Cyber Sub-Zero, Cyrax killing Smoke, etc. and as a finish, let us do a fatality, like the challenge tower fights where you have to finish with a fatality or enemy comes back with little health. I mean, people dies and we are not the one doing the killing. :(
The 2 on 1 fights people complained about, I can almost see where they are coming from, but I loved them. It changes the pace a lot, but here's a tip: AI on endurance fights block a lot less. X-rays are free, throws are free, standing on the enemy face doing dial combos is free. I think people have difficulty with those battles because they see one less health bar and get into defensive mode. Don't be. "Rush that shit down" as say the elder God.
Challenge tower is all kinds of awesome. I been playing like crazy and haven't even gone online yet. No idea what my main will be. I like Liu Kang, Jax and Nightwolf, but who knows.

Spent some time with Smoke last night and I think I'm in love. I still haven't quite landed on my main yet but he is definitely at the top of my list.

TheApatheticOne said:
Got to play about 20-30 matches with my buddy, which was more or less button mashing and doing the moves we could recall from memory. I'm really looking forward to digging into this one, got the hardcover guide coming in the mail today. Not sure what two or three I want to main. Noob will be one, regardless that it seems everyone else is. He's damn fun to play with.

That's exactly how I started: recalling moves from my memory and then checking movelist for the ones I don't remember. My thumb is sore from this game! :p

Darklord said:
So, who's coming to Australia soon and wants to smuggle in a copy for me? I gotta play this game. :(

I already proposed that if PS3 owners want me to send them a copy, I'll be glad to do so since PS3 copies are region free. If they want 360 copy, I'll do so as well but can't guarantee if they are region free or not. Also, I can't guarantee if the game gets seized by customs.

Proc

What is the most efficient way to collect those kombat points for the krypt?

I'm just going through the ladder now but it might have to be business time this weekend.

Aske

Diablohead said:
I read that it removes a few things like forground objects, no fatalities and so on.

Tournament Mode disables the Toasty Bonus and foreground objects. Fatalities should still be in.

Darklord

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I already proposed that if PS3 owners want me to send them a copy, I'll be glad to do so since PS3 copies are region free. If they want 360 copy, I'll do so as well but can't guarantee if they are region free or not. Also, I can't guarantee if the game gets seized by customs.

Yeah, that's the thing. I can just import but it might just get seized by customs. If someone happens to be traveling here(or an aussie goes overseas), I would make it well worth there while. But, yeah it's for 360 which means it would have to be PAL probably.

man, I suck so bad at fighting games these days. I struggled for 2 hours last night playing through story mode.

I'm really struck by how differently the characters play. This game is so awesome, I hope I can get better at it.

Frankfurt

Banned
The reason some moves use the kick button when one assume they should use punch is because of muscle memory from The SNES days. The buttons are in the Same position as when you were a teen.

Its so weird that some people think that the story mode is really cheesy and bad, while others (including myself) love it (while recognizing there might be some cheese-- but still enjoy it greatly). This is almost like the reaction to Shaolin Monks in a way.

So, I'm thinking about picking this up. I don't know any friends that have it, so online capabilities isn't really an issue. Although, I would like to play online eventually. My concern is: I know the PS3 controller is known to be the better controller of the two consoles, when it comes to fighters. Does this still hold true for MK? I know MK doesn't have nearly as wild of combos like some other fighters out there on the market, so thats why I ask.

Thanks.

SafeinSound said:
So, I'm thinking about picking this up. I don't know any friends that have it, so online capabilities isn't really an issue. Although, I would like to play online eventually. My concern is: I know the PS3 controller is known to be the better controller of the two consoles, when it comes to fighters. Does this still hold true for MK? I know MK doesn't have nearly as wild of combos like some other fighters out there on the market, so thats why I ask.

Thanks.
MK still has wild combos, but the inputs aren't motions like other games. If you're comfortable with an Xbox pad, go for it.

Proc

SafeinSound said:

Thanks.

Honestly, play the demo. That's what sold me on the ps3 version. I love the ps3 controller for this fighter. I have a hori stick for 360 but I don't really see myself using that for this game. That's why I went ps3. It is all a matter of personal preference though, which is why I recommend playing the demo.

_dementia said:
MK still has wild combos, but the inputs aren't motions like other games. If you're comfortable with an Xbox pad, go for it.

Right...thats what I mean.

Proc said:
Honestly, play the demo. That's what sold me on the ps3 version. I love the ps3 controller for this fighter. I have a hori stick for 360 but I don't really see myself using that for this game. That's why I went ps3. It is all a matter of personal preference though, which is why I recommend playing the demo.

Yeah, i guess I should do this. I didn't even think about that for some reason. Thanks for the input. Will give both a shot.

malfcn

Story mode is GDLK. Not being able to skip scenes didn't bother me until I stopped, and reloaded. Then I had to sit through a couple minutes of scenes.

The online so far is ass. There has been 0.05to2.0 seconds of lag for me. Nothing comes out and I can't defend myself. Hope they get their tubes fixed.

infinityBCRT said:
Its so weird that some people think that the story mode is really cheesy and bad, while others (including myself) love it (while recognizing there might be some cheese-- but still enjoy it greatly). This is almost like the reaction to Shaolin Monks in a way.

How about "it's cheesy and good"!I've only played the first three chapters so I can't tell how less cheesier it gets.

Shang Tsung showing out of nowhere all the time is hilarious! He is like a bored perverted old man who can only get his dick wet by watching people fight, and using their souls as viagara.

The chopper blowing up: Man, I called it from so far away! As soon as I saw the chopper coming, I said "HADOUKEN!" and lo and behold, Shang Tsung blowing it up with a fireball.

Characters having NO EMOTIONS whatsoever (except for Scorpion. What a chapter!) at what is going around them is funny. Fighting with Kano and then suddenly disappearing after being beaten is awesome. Saying "You're coming with me!" and then few seconds later him walking side by side with Sonya is also cheesy.

Characters: Johnny Cage. HILARIOUS! Love him! Raiden and Lui Kang are just pussies, I swear. Entire Lin Kuei Clan is like a soap opera, I swear.

Sonya asking Shang Tsung to free Jax, yet freeing him herself with the fireball is also funny, and again: Shang Tsung walking in randomly is also hilarious.

Sheeva's "CYRAX, YOUR SERVICES ARE NO LONGER NEEDED! FOR THE SHANG TSUNG!!!" made me laugh out loud!

It's a very fun yet cheesy story, you can't deny that; and that is the whole purpose of it is to be cheesy and over the top awesome. I love it a lot and is the best thing to ever happen to any fighting game. Never really liked text endings to MK so this is a great great change!

SafeinSound said:

Thanks.

In comparison to the stock controller, theres no question the PS3 is better. When dealing with the 360 transforming dpad controller (which is on sale right now!) vs the DualShock 3, its closer. But even as a huge fan of the 360 controller I have to say my hands were a lot more comfortable with playing MK on the PS3 controller. Maybe this was muscle memory from playing a hulluva lot of Deception/SM/Armageddon on the PS2 or something, but I just felt like my fingers could be a little more nimble and my thumb didn't hurt as much while doing tricky moves like anything that involves a B-F movement (god damn you Liu Kang!!!).

But its still totally playable on the 360 controller and its not bad. And not nearly as bad as the days of playing MK on the Genesis where you'd get blisters on your thumb from that godawful d-pad. If you're willing to shell out for the transforming controller, and you have more friends on Xbox, I'd lean towards the 360 version.

shagg_187 said:
How about "it's cheesy and good"!I've only played the first three chapters so I can't tell how less cheesier it gets.

Shang Tsung showing out of nowhere all the time is hilarious! He is like a bored perverted old man who can only get his dick wet by watching people fight, and using their souls as viagara.

The chopper blowing up: Man, I called it from so far away! As soon as I saw the chopper coming, I said "HADOUKEN!" and lo and behold, Shang Tsung blowing it up with a fireball.

Characters having NO EMOTIONS whatsoever (except for Scorpion. What a chapter!) at what is going around them is funny. Fighting with Kano and then suddenly disappearing after being beaten is awesome. Saying "You're coming with me!" and then few seconds later him walking side by side with Sonya is also cheesy.

Characters: Johnny Cage. HILARIOUS! Love him! Raiden and Lui Kang are just pussies, I swear. Entire Lin Kuei Clan is like a soap opera, I swear.

Sonya asking Shang Tsung to free Jax, yet freeing him herself with the fireball is also funny, and again: Shang Tsung walking in randomly is also hilarious.

Sheeva's "CYRAX, YOUR SERVICES ARE NO LONGER NEEDED! FOR THE SHANG TSUNG!!!" made me laugh out loud!

It's a very fun yet cheesy story, you can't deny that; and that is the whole purpose of it is to be cheesy and over the top awesome. I love it a lot and is the best thing to ever happen to any fighting game. Never really liked text endings to MK so this is a great great change!

Thats kinda what I meant. I fall into the "I recognize the cheese but this is still fucking awesome just like how Shaolin Monks was fucking awesome" category. Theres a charm to it.

And the end of Chapter 3
was fucking awesome. Easily one of my favourite moments in MK history. And totally justifies having Quan Chi in this game. TOASTY!!!!!!!!!

SmokeMaxX

Even as someone who really likes the 360, I'd probably use a PS2/3 controller for this game if I had the choice. Honestly I'm contemplating not even learning the game on stick and buying an adapter for my PS2 pad. For some reason I'd rather play pad with games like this and Tekken.

Kuroudu

Wow story mode is so awesome, love it!
Can't believe the flow of the story and fights are this good. NetherRealm great job!

infinityBCRT said:
Thats kinda what I meant. I fall into the "I recognize the cheese but this is still fucking awesome just like how Shaolin Monks was fucking awesome" category. Theres a charm to it.

And the end of Chapter 3
was fucking awesome. Easily one of my favourite moments in MK history. And totally justifies having Quan Chi in this game. TOASTY!!!!!!!!!

Definitely agree. He is such a badass asshole! It's like you know what the fuck happens in the rest of Mortal Kombat games and how influential his shit is, but all you can do is stare the whole shit unravel in front of you.

I was expecting sub-zero to survive and become cyber sub-zero since Raiden fucks with the future even though he said he shouldn't. DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME IF THAT'S THE CASE AND SUBZERO IS STILL ALIVE AND ENJOYING BBQ IN HELL! :p

Kuroudu said:
Wow story mode is so awesome, love it!
Can't believe the flow of the story and fights are this good. NetherRealm great job!
Definitely blew my mind when I saw the transition, yes!

The game works great on the PS3 pad but I find some combo's, like Cage's square, x, triangle are easier on a stick as you have to input them really fast for the combo to work.

MrMephistoX

Seraphis Cain said:
Man. Was excited to have the Reptile Klassic pack, but it turns out Reptile kinda sucks. -_-

Ah well. Really liking Ermac and Kung Lao, though.
Reptile is definitely my face but has a bit of a learning curve for sure. Once I remapped the controls to put block in a more logical position on a Madcatz TE at R1 on top he clicked.

His default costume looks a lot better in person too.

MightyKAC

So my Amazon MK9 codes came in and now I seem to be stuck with a Reptile DLC code that I really couldn't care less about sooooo....... The first person to quote this post (who actually and HONESTLY wants to main Reptile) gets it.

Edit: wow that was timed perfectly with the post above mine. hmmm

shuri

Banned
The story mode is incredible; the game has so much content -- This game has set the new standard for content in a fighting game. It makes MVSC3 feels like a budget release!

The only thing I dont like so far is how they remapped a lot of special moves, that was not needed.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
So Canada Post messed with my order and I didn't get it yesterday. Hoping it'll arrive today. Can't wait to practice my main Nightwolf!

Linconan

For the people that do have the game, a question.

This Online pass thingy, is it available to buy in a sub menu from the game itself? or do you 'have' to purchase through the PSN Store/360 Marketplace?

The reason i ask is because i'm Australian, and ordered me copy (on its way :)) but the PSBlog Eu has updated the Store info and says that the Kombat pass isn't available in the Update for Australians.

Could i just buy it within the game itself?
Or would there be another way around this?

Thanks for any info ;)

MightyKAC

shuri said:
The story mode is incredible; the game has so much content -- This game has set the new standard for content in a fighting game. It makes MVSC3 feels like a bullshit release!

Fixed, but in all seriousness I hope this game goes on to sell a fuck ton of copies due to how good it is and how much they crammed inside it.

So with the Krypt, is it intended to be guessing tombstones and not knowing what your going to get? I want alt costumes and fatalities and I'm getting concept art lol

p.s.- I saw the link to the list of items but if it's meant to be random I'll just do it that way. This game is awesome.

MightyKAC said:
So my Amazon MK9 codes came in and now I seem to be stuck with a Reptile DLC code that I really couldn't care less about sooooo....... The first person to quote this post (who actually and HONESTLY wants to main Reptile) gets it.

Edit: wow that was timed perfectly with the post above mine. hmmm

ME ME ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom