• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheApatheticOne said:
So now that the games been out, what's everyone finding to be the best configuration for the SFIV TE sticks?
it's best to keep the block button on the lower row same as the kicks so you can press both Kicks + Block to perform the X-Ray
Leaving the other upper row button for Tag

Throws can be inputted with 1 Punch and 3 Kick which is pretty much the same as SF4 throw,

will52 said:
Low res cut-scenes that can't be paused or skipped? What year is this?

Decent fighter otherwise.
I actually prefer games using in-game models to do the cut scenes and not just using cg sequences with a ton of polish. Almost feels too fake.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'd blame the "low res" cut scenes on the 360 side of the fence. DVD-9. Story mode that has hours of full screen cut scenes. In a game that already has boatloads of Konnnnnnn-tent.

C Jones

SerArthurDayne said:
I found the key to beating Shao Kahn was being a cheap bastard. What's fair is fair right? Anyways, I used smoke, and every time he taunted, launched a hammer, or threw the spear I would throw a smoke ball to pop him up or use the teleport to hit him a couple of times. Same with the X-Ray whenever it was available. He can destroy your health real quick if you mess up, but I guess find some similar tactic for whatever character you use. Or actually be good. That is an option, too, I guess.
Pretty much. With Stryker I just stayed full screen and shot/naded him to death. I used my meter for ex versions of the projectiles too. This is on medium difficulty.

Gary Whitta said:
Can I just say that Johnny Cage's move when he does the splits and punches you in the nuts is the best thing I've ever seen in a fighting game.

Can anyone recommend a good character to main for a total beginner like me? I really need to work on some advanced moves, combos etc. Right now I'm still mostly button-mashing and doing throws. I managed to get a couple of ranged attacks, like Scorpion's chain grab, down.
I like to do an uppercut after that nut punch!

Mileena is probably good for beginners because she's fast and her teleport is pretty handy and easy to preform (forward forward A on Xbox). Liu Kang used to have easy special moves but they changed the inputs to be more challenging.

But yeah, button mashing normal combos is never a bad strategy anyway.

Kuroudu said:
Kintaro is really a cheapass, wish 1 round winning setting could be done in the story mode. Won first round but lost the next 2 rounds. Hate that stomp / teleport thing that kintaro is doing, block doesn't help and jumping backwards doesn't either. Also freaking hate the autoblock on the bosses, would have won the matches if it were not there. And x-ray doing >50% OMG.

Full screen fireballs. Easily won with 2 perfects.

Jax is good but one thing that always bothered me about MK was the ability to block command throws, which made no sense. Oh well.

Also, another bit of information. If you are crouching, you cannot be thrown. If you block while crouching, you can be thrown.

Tech Front Throw = Back Punch or Back Kick
Tech Back Throw = Front Punch or Front Kick

the best way to beat Goro and Shao Khan is to do jumping cross ups with jump punch that would avoid their attack then land a normal move combo string when landing and keeping it safe without flash

Shao Khan has an anti-air shoulder that arcs diagonally, so you can force the AI to do it and be able to jump over him and punish him

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
will52 said:
Low res cut-scenes that can't be paused or skipped? What year is this?

Decent fighter otherwise.
As others have noted, those cutscenes double as loading screens. I would have loved better quality video for sure, but using them to keep the story mode flowing smoothly was a good move. I suspect the 360s limited storage space resulted in the creation of lower bitrate videos and they simply didn't take the time to create higher quality versions for PS3.

Willectro

Banned
dark10x said:
As others have noted, those cutscenes double as loading screens. I would have loved better quality video for sure, but using them to keep the story mode flowing smoothly was a good move. I suspect the 360s limited storage space resulted in the creation of lower bitrate videos and they simply didn't take the time to create higher quality versions for PS3.

Yea I suppose its matter of opinion. Just looks dated to me. But luckily the fighting is solid. And really, these cutscenes are far better than SF4 (lol).

NeonZ said:
No. He was playable in the SNES/Genesis versions of UMK3, alongside Noob Saibot. Rain never had character data in the arcade games, not even for an unplayable character.

Not true. I'm pretty sure he was playable in UMK3 Wavenet for arcades which was a networked version of UMK3 that was on test at a handful of Chicago area arcades around the spring summer of 95, or maybe it was 96. I can't remember exactly, too long ago. I distinctly remember Eddie Ferrier handing my ass to me on several occassions using Rain and Ermac.

reKon

Banned
Sato Koiji said:
Look again.

I just did. I searched under newest demos, look under the range of PS3 demos in the Ms, and I searched for mortal in the search bar. Nothing is here.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't find the Mortal Kombat Demo? Maybe I need to update my system?

Anyanka

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
Not true. I'm pretty sure he was playable in UMK3 Wavenet for arcades which was a networked version of UMK3 that was on test at a handful of Chicago area arcades around the spring summer of 95, or maybe it was 96. I can't remember exactly, too long ago. I distinctly remember Eddie Ferrier handing my ass to me on several occassions using Rain and Ermac.

That was Noob that was added to Wavenet

JimiNutz

Banned
This should be arriving sometime tomorrow :)
I'm a MK n00b and rarely play fighters ever.

What are some good characters to start with?
At the mo I'm drawn to the ninjas - particularly Sub Zero, Scorpion, Smoke, or Noob Saibot.
Are these good choices? I want someone that is easy enough to learn the basics with, but that will be able to hold their own against the higher tier characters once/if I master them.

derFeef

reKon said:
I just did. I searched under newest demos, look under the range of PS3 demos in the Ms, and I searched for mortal in the search bar. Nothing is here.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't find the Mortal Kombat Demo? Maybe I need to update my system?
Is your PSN set to Germany or Australia?

dark10x said:
I must be the only one blind here!

I thought that both in MK vs DC and MK9 that the cutscenes were in real-time but running at 30FPS or 24FPS with slightly higher quality AA instead of 60FPS with edge blur during gameplay. I haven't seen any artifacting at all. The only difference I noticed between the PS3 and 360 version was that the intro (while going up the Armageddon pyramid) would stutter a little on 360 (indicating to me that the PS3 version was better optimized). Also, cutscenes look like they are in 720p on both versions.

Am I crazy?

In any event, if they have fooled me into thinking pre-rendered cutscenes were in real-time they did their job well.

First impressions:

Tried to play it like SF, no good :p learning sub and ermac and getting better, touched story mode but will do that tomorrow when I have a lot more free time.

UK KE figure looks shit :(

Game is awesome.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Ahhh man! i just saw someone gave away a reptile outfit. I hate that i cannot unlock this shit in the game. AT LEAST PUT IT UP FOR DL AND TAKE MY MONEY! LOL Loving this game so far tho. I played a bit of king of the hill and it wasnt tooo laggy. certian matches were lagging but other were just fine and 1 on 1 was always running great when i played it!

Revenant

while I don't have the game yet, I really do hope they make the Klassic costumes and fatalities somehow available.. Seems like a silly thing to keep them exclusive. Frankly I just want traditional reptile.. I dig that they're trying to differentiate him but his traditional costume this time around hasn't won me over yet.

The Lamonster said:
ha, same here. 2am, hurt left thumb. I just cut my nails too - bad choice as there's no support for pressing on the flesh anymore.
add me as one more to the played till 2am and now has a blister list

GrayFoxPL

How would you people rate the music?

Btw. What are "classic" tracks? Are they original tracks? From which game - mk1,2,3, all? Are they remixes?

I just spoiled myself very fucking cool secret. Straight oldschool. I don't regret, didn't think they would put it in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone experienced stuttering in the cutscenes in Story Mode? Only happened to me once, directly after the
Cyrax vs Sheeva
fight, but it was a bit worrying. I know it's just a case of the game loading slower than it should, but still. Sorta worrying.

reKon

Banned
derFeef said:
Is your PSN set to Germany or Australia?

No it's set to United States. The newest demo that shows is 'The Fancy Pants Adventure' Demo. I have no idea why it's not showing up in PSN for me. I don't have PSN+

Aske

NutJobJim said:
This should be arriving sometime tomorrow :)
I'm a MK n00b and rarely play fighters ever.

What are some good characters to start with?
At the mo I'm drawn to the ninjas - particularly Sub Zero, Scorpion, Smoke, or Noob Saibot.
Are these good choices? I want someone that is easy enough to learn the basics with, but that will be able to hold their own against the higher tier characters once/if I master them.

If in doubt, ninja. Scorpion is a great all-rounder. Ermac is crazy powerful, but not quite as friendly for a beginner. Saibot is a badass, but when I use him I feel like he's missing something compared to some others who have a few more options. Cyrax is incredible. Lots of moves to learn, but if you start with his net and slowly work more specials into your game you'll get crazy results, so I think of him as reasonably accessible. I haven't used Smoke much yet. And people say that Sub-Zero is difficult, but he's just more methodical. I'd call him beginner-friendly if you find you gel with bus style.

I could go on and on. Really, just pick someone who looks cool and use them. You'll know very quickly if you want to work on them or try out someone else. I haven't yet found a character I don't genuinely enjoy using in this game.

notworksafe

reKon said:
No it's set to United States. The newest demo that shows is 'The Fancy Pants Adventure' Demo. I have no idea why it's not showing up in PSN for me. I don't have PSN+
The demo is about a month old, so you may have to look four weeks of content back.

GrayFoxPL said:
How would you people rate the music?

Btw. What are "classic" tracks? Are they original tracks? From which game - mk1,2,3, all? Are they remixes?

Music is great once you turn it up to 100% so you can actually hear it. Shang Tsung's Garden and The Pit are growing on me. They sound like what would happen if Dan Forden was making the MK1 soundtrack with today's technology, yet they are still totally new songs. The soundtrack is definitely better than every main MK game since MK3.

Courtyard music fits so well in the story mode (on Chapter 5 right now). Everytime I hear it I'm thinking "bring it on!".

Classic tracks are the original tracks from MK1,2,3 depending on which stage you're on. I do wish they gave the ability to enable classic music in ladder mode though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
reKon said:

You could try searching for it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Aske said:
If in doubt, ninja. Scorpion is a great all-rounder. Ermac is crazy powerful, but not quite as friendly for a beginner. Saibot is a badass, but when I use him I feel like he's missing something compared to some others who have a few more options. Cyrax is incredible. Lots of moves to learn, but if you start with his net and slowly work more specials into your game you'll get crazy results, so I think of him as reasonably accessible. I haven't used Smoke much yet. And people say that Sub-Zero is difficult, but he's just more methodical. I'd call him beginner-friendly if you find you gel with bus style.

I could go on and on. Really, just pick someone who looks cool and use them. You'll know very quickly if you want to work on them or try out someone else. I haven't yet found a character I don't genuinely enjoy using in this game.

I think I'm going to try Sub, Scorpion, Smoke and Cryax to start with and see which one I like best.

Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone experienced stuttering in the cutscenes in Story Mode? Only happened to me once, directly after the
Cyrax vs Sheeva
fight, but it was a bit worrying. I know it's just a case of the game loading slower than it should, but still. Sorta worrying.

This has happened to me. Happened on a close up at an end of a scene. I assumed it was stuck loading something.

LowParry

Story mode is pretty damn cool. But those boss fights, goddamn. lol

What a great game this is. I still haven't even touched online yet.

Aske

BTW, I played some story mode earlier this morning, and even squeezed a couple of online games out of PSN (which is still being weird). The two games I had were perfect (versus the same guy). Butter smooth, and matchmaking was fast. Better than MvC3 by a long shot. I know this quality hasn't been typical for most people; just reporting my experience.

Story mode...magnificent. When I had to stop, I was wrapping up the MK1 portion I think (Liu Kang's chapter). Love it.

LM4sure

Banned
Aske said:
Story mode...magnificent. When I had yo stop, I was wrapping up the MK1 portion I think (Liu Kang's chapter). Love it.

Wait. The story mode is a retelling of the previous MK games? I’m pretty far into it and I did not realize it. If that is true, which MK games does it retell the story on? Is there any new elements to the story, or is it just the story from the old MK games?

Interfectum

LM4sure said:
Wait. The story mode is a retelling of the previous MK games? I’m pretty far into it and I did not realize it. If that is true, which MK games does it retell the story on? Is there any new elements to the story, or is it just the story from the old MK games?

It's retelling the events of MK 1, 2 and 3. I believe. But it's also different because of spoilerish story reasons.

Gary Whitta said:
Can I just say that Johnny Cage's move when he does the splits and punches you in the nuts is the best thing I've ever seen in a fighting game.

Can anyone recommend a good character to main for a total beginner like me? I really need to work on some advanced moves, combos etc. Right now I'm still mostly button-mashing and doing throws. I managed to get a couple of ranged attacks, like Scorpion's chain grab, down.
Scorpion is one of the easiest to pick up. His moves are easy to execute and just a really button mashy friendly character. His X-ray has a free setup with the spear. Cage is definitely another one (although his X-Ray is a lot trickier). I'd say stay away from Sub-Zero, hes one of the more advanced characters IMO.

edit: ALSO... I don't know how much you want to invest into the game but the KE guide can be a big help. It comes with quick reference cards (separate from the book itself which is pretty in depth) for the basic move lists and chain combos. So you can just pull out the card for the character you've selected and refer to it before/between rounds to refresh your memory on combos and specials.

LM4sure

Banned
Interfectum said:
They make up for it in certain areas... for example you see how Jax got his metal arms. :X

Haha. I rolled my eyes at that part. Who was the assailant, again?
Ermac?
So basically Jax would never stand a chance against
him
in a fight

But that was a better explanation than the MK Legacy explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom