• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM4sure

Banned
Interfectum said:
It's retelling the events of MK 1, 2 and 3. I believe. But it's also different because of spoilerish story reasons.

Cool! Can't believe I didn't realize that! I forget which chapter I'm on. Haven't played in a couple of days because of Portal 2.

Interfectum

LM4sure said:
Haha. I rolled my eyes at that part. Who was the assailant, again?
Ermac?
So basically Jax would never stand a chance against
him
in a fight

But that was a better explanation than the MK Legacy explanation.

I've been rolling my eyes at most of it but it still fun. The story is so cheesy and bad but I'm loving every minute of it.

This is pretty much the MK I've been asking for since MK4.

Sblargh

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone experienced stuttering in the cutscenes in Story Mode? Only happened to me once, directly after the
Cyrax vs Sheeva
fight, but it was a bit worrying. I know it's just a case of the game loading slower than it should, but still. Sorta worrying.

Happened only once, but it was during the cutscene that lead to the final fight. :(

LM4sure

Banned
Since when was Johnny Cage able to punch female fighters in the crotch? I’m pretty sure at least up through MKII that he couldn’t do it. Was this changed in a previous game? I don’t like it. Although I guess it would still hurt if a girl got punched in the crotch.

GrayFoxPL

LM4sure said:
Since when was Johnny Cage able to punch female fighters in the crotch? I’m pretty sure at least up through MKII that he couldn’t do it. Was this changed in a previous game? I don’t like it. Although I guess it would still hurt if a girl got punched in the crotch.

It would make Cage low tier against women.

Punch a girl in the baby maker and see what happens.

I wish there was an arcade interrupt feature like SSF4 or MVC3. So I can sit in practice mode or something while it searches for matches.

Takes forever to find matches in the Live lobby. I hate that spinning MK logo now!! haha

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Spamming Noob Saibot's Shadow Charge is like spamming Sentinel's beam in MvC3.

So much salt and raqequits online lol

I hate this feeling. I just bought the game and I want to play so bad but I'm so hungry that I have to eat first :(

lol excited to play. I like the keychain that comes with it.

I don't know if anyone's posted any shots of the game KE version but I picked it up yesterday and figured I'd throw them up:

2pyqr06.jpg

1zqdchs.jpg

2u5ucjl.jpg

The only problem I have with then is that Sub-Zero has this inappropriate look of ecstasy on his face.:)

Deadstar

panda21 said:
can't quite decide whether to get the 360 or ps3 version, is there any difference? the ps3 pad is probably good for it, but i also have a 360 madcatz pad

The PS3 version has Kratos. There you go.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My only problem with this game is the same major problem I have with SFIV(and a few other modern fighters).

Input chains are so dependent on strict timing and 'queues' that I occasionally feel I am completely out of sync with the on screen action. Dialing up the string and hoping it all spits out on screen correctly a few frames after the fact. Yuck! It's mostly the juggle/combo system, as special moves rarely have this issue. But a simple X,X,B combo can end up being a total failure in most cases because of all that frame-counting bullshit that I feel is killing this genre still.

I can't be the only one that hit a brickwall in the tutorial mode pulling off Johnny Cage's simple combo strings(X,X,->X can suck my cock). I was instantly reminded of SFIV's challenge mode, which essentially made me close to being a hater of that reboot.

Otherwise, game kept me up till 3am last night. Bravo!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Brandon F said:
My only problem with this game is the same major problem I have with SFIV(and a few other modern fighters).

Input chains are so dependent on strict timing and 'queues' that I occasionally feel I am completely out of sync with the on screen action. Dialing up the string and hoping it all spits out on screen correctly a few frames after the fact. Yuck! It's mostly the juggle/combo system, as special moves rarely have this issue. But a simple X,X,B combo can end up being a total failure in most cases because of all that frame-counting bullshit that I feel is killing this genre still.

I can't be the only one that hit a brickwall in the tutorial mode pulling off Johnny Cage's simple combo strings(X,X,->X can suck my cock). I was instantly reminded of SFIV's challenge mode, which essentially made me close to being a hater of that reboot.

Most things in sf4 are links not chains though. MVC3 is mostly chains.

Nab

As someone who's never really been into fighting games (I think the only one I ever really played was Dead or Alive.. 4? I had some free time a free rental), would you lot say that Mortal Kombat is a good game for someone like me?

The videos look cool but is the gameplay itself something you can easily get into or is it something you have to have played MK for years to like?

notworksafe

Depends on why you're not into fighters.

Is it because you dislike the gameplay or learning moves/combos? Then no, MK isn't for you.

Is it because the story is usually garbage or there's nothing to do but fight in arcade mode or online? If so, then MK will be pretty good for you.

Kimosabae

Banned
Currently in training mode...

Can someone explain to me the significance of mids in this game? Does that just mean they can be blocked high/low?

Brandon F said:

You are definitely not the only one. I thought it was just me!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Brandon F said:

I don't think you understand how the chain combos work in MK. You can just type them in, regardless of what's onscreen, and the combo will complete. For instance, Kabal has one that's FP, FP, Back + BK, FK. You can just tap out that sequence and it will auto-complete, even if you finish the combo input before the second FP is even done animating. Of course, then you're stuck in the combo, but it's the most reliable way to guarantee your dial-a-combo will come out correctly if you know it's going to land on the first hit.

You don't have to count frames at all to get them out, you just have to input with confidence and commit to the combo. Knowing when to do this, now that's a different story.

GrayFoxPL

Nab said:
As someone who's never really been into fighting games (I think the only one I ever really played was Dead or Alive.. 4? I had some free time a free rental), would you lot say that Mortal Kombat is a good game for someone like me?

The videos look cool but is the gameplay itself something you can easily get into or is it something you have to have played MK for years to like?

Hard question. On one hand characters don't have long move set and only 3-4 standard combos, but chaining everything to huge juggles is where it gets hard. Personally hardest part of any mk for me is blocking on reaction. Seems way harder then say VF.

Brandon F said:

Why are you worried about frames? Just press the buttons. And SF4's challenge mode was hard for a lot of players, even veterans.

oh wow online is so broken, unless you have the most perfect match half of my moves will not come out which in turn makes ranked completely pointless to play, such a huge disappointment :/

So many times i go for a punish to only do something I did not input, I don't understand it.

K.Sabot

Diablohead said:
oh wow online is so broken, unless you have the most perfect match half of my moves will not come out which in turn makes ranked completely pointless to play, such a huge disappointment :/

So many times i go for a punish to only do something I did not input, I don't understand it.
I fought a guy with a perfectly looking 4 little blip thingy connection and it was baaaaad. He knew he was lagging and just threw out the same low/overhead the entire game. I don't feel like playing online again until I can actually see a difference between good and terrible.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MattKeil said:
I don't think you understand how the chain combos work in MK. You can just type them in, regardless of what's onscreen, and the combo will complete. For instance, Kabal has one that's FP, FP, Back + BK, FK. You can just tap out that sequence and it will auto-complete, even if you finish the combo input before the second FP is even done animating. Of course, then you're stuck in the combo, but it's the most reliable way to guarantee your dial-a-combo will come out correctly if you know it's going to land on the first hit.

You don't have to count frames at all to get them out, you just have to input with confidence and commit to the combo. Knowing when to do this, now that's a different story.

And see, that's what throws me off, having never really played an MK before. You can dial the combos in, but I try to time them. It's good advice, and I forget it all the time because I'm used to SF and MvC.

Gary Whitta said:
Can someone explain what punishing is? Counter-attack after an opponent misses with an attack and leaves themselves vulnerable?

Yes. Either misses or is blocked. If the move is unsafe after missing or being blocked, you retaliate with a punish.

Kimosabae

Banned
Brandon F said:

You really don't know what you're talking about. Stow the whining, apply some dedication and you'll realize the two things you're comparing are not even slightly synonymous. Your timing is just off on the button presses, is all. SFIV relies on a variety of timings in each move of the combo. MK is still true dial-a-combo. You might be trying to start a string when your character is occupied with some other animation that's throwing off your rhythm. It's not like the 2D games where the animations make it visually, readily apparent when to press the buttons. Stop whining and give yourself a chance to get familiar with the game's rhythm and stop at the molehill.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Gary Whitta said:
Can someone explain what punishing is? Counter-attack after an opponent misses with an attack and leaves themselves vulnerable?

Pretty much yeah. Like when Scorpion teleports and you block it and he pops up in the air and spins around you get a free punish.

Gary Whitta said:

Yup basically. Very essential to learn for any fighting game, really. :)

SRK has a great guide up that covers most of the stuff. Check it out.

dankir

Got the Prima guide, very surprised there was no frame data. Lots of content but it seems bare compared to the Brady MvC3 guide.

MrMephistoX

What's the scoop on classic fatalities? I used my Reptile, Jade, and Ermac codes (green eyed ninjas are awesome btw) and don't see their classic fatalities on the moves list even when I'm wearing the appropriate outfits.

robot said:
That's hilarious. I always freeze up when FINISH HIM comes up and screw it up.
Yeah until I learn the fatalities properly the fights always end in an anticlimactic way. I at least do a throw so the guy gets finished off in *some* style.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Gonna cave in and pick this up after work. Damn it all...

Can't wait to get messages from people talking shit to me because I probably won't bother with fatalities after the first few days. It's gonna be an entirely new species of rage mail.

weepy

After watching some matches and getting my ass kicked by these characters, I would guess that Ermac and Smoke are at a higher tier level than the rest of the cast (thus far).

notworksafe

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah until I learn the fatalities properly the fights always end in an anticlimactic way. I at least do a throw so the guy gets finished off in *some* style.
Use the Fatality Trainer in the training modes!

Chairhome

So I just found out my generic PS2->PS3 converter doesn't work anymore (thanks to a firmware update). Might have to spring for an InPin one or maybe just look for a cheap PS3 arcade stick. Luckily, the game controls pretty well with the regular controller. It just would've been nice... :-/

Struct09

Lost Fragment said:
Gonna cave in and pick this up after work. Damn it all...

Can't wait to get messages from people talking shit to me because I probably won't bother with fatalities after the first few days. It's gonna be an entirely new species of rage mail.

A lot of people aren't ending online fights with fatalities right now. At least that was my experience yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom