• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
MattKeil said:
I don't think you understand how the chain combos work in MK. You can just type them in, regardless of what's onscreen, and the combo will complete. For instance, Kabal has one that's FP, FP, Back + BK, FK. You can just tap out that sequence and it will auto-complete, even if you finish the combo input before the second FP is even done animating. Of course, then you're stuck in the combo, but it's the most reliable way to guarantee your dial-a-combo will come out correctly if you know it's going to land on the first hit.

You don't have to count frames at all to get them out, you just have to input with confidence and commit to the combo. Knowing when to do this, now that's a different story.

Yea, I think I just prefer the Soul Calibur approach wherein I feel my inputs are attached directly to the animations on screen. Dial-a-combo is what pretty much tore me away from appreciating the PS2/Xbox MK games as I couldn't quite grasp the sheer memorization with all of the stance changes and whatnot.

Granted, all of the responses here are helpful, and I better understand the fault of my argument in comparing SFIV and this now. Don't take my bitter feelings toward this one aspect of the game as a negative stance. I adore this entry so far, it kept me playing longer in a single session than any fighting game has since SCIV years ago.

lol I took the KE statue out of the box and it's flimsy as shit, bendy cheap plastic like a kids toy :( maybe I had expectations too high for a £50 collectors but still. Going to custom paint that bitch once I get paid to buy some good paints for it.

The american book ends are oh-so much better, much MUCH better.

my god, watching that guy play with noob. He has gotta be the coolest character! Matter of fact, it seems all the original secret characters turned out to be the coolest ones of the bunch in this game.

something about reptile is off to me. I want to main him, but something is off. I'm so much better with Scorpion. Maybe I need more practice. I love how he wipes his mouth after a round, especially looks cool with the classic alt.

notworksafe said:
Use the Fatality Trainer in the training modes!
Yeah I've been playing with that. It's kinda annoying how the fatality doesn't seem to trigger even though the move tracker shows me I'm inputting the right commands. I guess it's a question of timing?

I might have to see if I can get the Giant Bomb dudes to give me some lessons, I'm doing okay in story mode but I know I'm going to get owned against live opponents unless I pick up some advanced moves.

my inputs for combos weren't registering unless I sort of do a fluid swiping motion over the buttons. Not just button presses one after the other, you have to smoothly go from one button to the other for it to register.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
my inputs for combos weren't registering unless I sort of do a fluid swiping motion over the buttons. Not just button presses one after the other, you have to smoothly go from one button to the other for it to register.
Yeah I guess it's something you just develop a feel for. You've got to really practice to memorize these combos in order to pull them off that fluidly. It probably winds up feeling more like a seamless pattern than a set of individual commands. /noobchat

Chairhome

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah I guess it's something you just develop a feel for. You've got to really practice to memorize these combos in order to pull them off that fluidly. It probably winds up feeling more like a seamless pattern than a set of individual commands. /noobchat
You'll get used to it. It helps distinguish button mashers from actual skilled players.

Chairhome said:
You'll get used to it. It helps distinguish button mashers from actual skilled players.

thats a good point!

I have an old Hori Soul Calibur stick. Could I use that to learn or am I better off sticking with controller? I had preordered the tournament stick edition and they ran out. Now I don't have the money for one.

AiTM

Banned
So I wanted to see what was new in the MK thread...clicked on last page, read last post...X kills X during story...it was the spoiler thread...

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Chairhome

TrAcEr_x90 said:
thats a good point!

I have an old Hori Soul Calibur stick. Could I use that to learn or am I better off sticking with controller? I had preordered the tournament stick edition and they ran out. Now I don't have the money for one.
Its up to preference. I love arcade sticks, but as someone mentioned earlier, most of the moves are tap vs sliding motions, so it works well with a controller, too. My PS2 to PS3 converter doesn't work anymore, so I couldn't use my Tekken 5 stick, but I've been using controller no problem. You can't go wrong either way, I think, its up to your comfort level.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Diablohead said:
lol I took the KE statue out of the box and it's flimsy as shit, bendy cheap plastic like a kids toy :( maybe I had expectations too high for a £50 collectors but still. Going to custom paint that bitch once I get paid to buy some good paints for it.

The american book ends are oh-so much better, much MUCH better.

ouch im quite happy with my book ends and sub zero has the harpoon sticking out of him lol :D

SOLDIER

Is there a consensus yet on which version is best overall? I can't decide which platform to get this on.

Does one outperform the other graphically? What about online? And is Kratos a good character or not really worth it as a selling point for PS3?

Chairhome

SOLDIER said:
Is there a consensus yet on which version is best overall? I can't decide which platform to get this on.

Does one outperform the other graphically? What about online? And is Kratos a good character or not really worth it as a selling point for PS3?
I think someone mentioned that digital forge did a comparison. Kratos is cool, but I don't think he's a "dealbreaker", I've only played with him a little. Its nice to have an extra option for a character, though. The online is supposedly kinda crappy on both systems right now.

ptown

Kimosabae said:
Currently in training mode...

Can someone explain to me the significance of mids in this game? Does that just mean they can be blocked high/low?

They must be blocked standing.

-----------

I just played in training mode for a couple of hours. The game feels pretty weird to me (coming from a person who mainly plays Capcom fighting games).

Anyways, I noticed and learned a few things (and had a few questions as well).

-I sorta got used to the dial-a-combo thing, but I'm still not too sure on how to correctly time a cancel into special move during a combo string. Do I just "dial" that special move input into the dialed combo?

-I noticed that the game has negative edge. Usually it just messes me up and I get moves coming out that I didn't want coming out.

-Also, special move input is something else I'll have to get used to. The game is lenient and gives you a second or so after doing the initial direction of a special move input to finish with the second input + button. But the special won't work if you held the initial direction for too long.

-I found enhanced special moves are more reliably done by doing piano method (or kara whatever) block~attack button.

Atruvius

Damn this game is hard. Some enemies don't react to your attacks so you have to use hit-and-run-tactics + they hit massive damege and receive less damage. For some fights I use noob tactics. Like in the fight against Jade and other chick I just used the same attack over and over until they died.

I have only tested few characters. I don't do well with Sonya. I just can't do any combos with her. Then there's Scorpion. Playing with him feels like breeze. His moves feel smooth and I can some combos with him.

I have played a few hours of the story, completed the ladder as Scorpion and completed 10 challenges on the Challenge Tower. Tomorrow I will hop online as Scorpion and try those Test Your X's. What an amazing game!

bumpkin

Atruvius said:
Damn this game is hard. Some enemies don't react to your attacks so you have to use hit-and-run-tactics + they hit massive damege and receive less damage. For some fights I use noob tactics. Like in the fight against Jade and other chick I just used the same attack over and over until they died.
I did the same thing in that fight... After almost getting my ass kicked, I just said screw it and went "scrub" on 'em; spammed Sonya's weird mule kick-ish move.

This game is awsome. Two quick questions:

1. I downloaded reptile, jade, and ermacs classic costumes. How do I use them in the game?

2. Without saying who they are, how do I unlock the hidden charecters?

Anticitizen One said:
This game is awsome. Two quick questions:

1. I downloaded reptile, jade, and ermacs classic costumes. How do I use them in the game?

2. Without saying who they are, how do I unlock the hidden charecters?

1. Hit start when selecting them

2. Play story mode.

RedAssedApe

Banned
SOLDIER said:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/head2head-mortal-kombat-screenshot-comparison/

Looks pretty same-ish to me outside of the usual gamma differences that show up in cross-platform games.

Personally, Kratos has never been a selling people with me. If it matters, the MK guide says that Kratos is one of the worst characters in the game (tier wise) :p

I usually get all cross-platform games on 360 because none of my friends are on PSN. I always just say get the version that all of your friends have so you have more than just randoms to play with.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Kind of throws me off when the camera changes on certain special moves like Raiden's Superman move and Liu-Kang's bicycle kick?

The invisible corners too...ugh. Missing combo opportunities there.

mr. puppy

Banned
Is Stryker's roll move the same as Abel's from SFIV? Is he basically a zoner with mobility, or does every single Mortal Kombat character have a dash move of some sort.

aristotle

henhowc said:
Personally, Kratos has never been a selling people with me. If it matters, the MK guide says that Kratos is one of the worst characters in the game (tier wise) :p

Too bad that the guides are full of errors and left out some hidden things. I wouldn't take anyone's guesstimation of a "tier" for the fighters. If you're good at a character, then so be it. Almost anyone can be beaten if you know how to play well enough.

henhowc said:
Kind of throws me off when the camera changes on certain special moves like Raiden's Superman move and Liu-Kang's bicycle kick?

The invisible corners too...ugh. Missing combo opportunities there.
doesn't tournament mode rectify these things?

mr. puppy said:
Is Stryker's roll move the same as Abel's from SFIV? Is he basically a zoner with mobility, or does every single Mortal Kombat character have a dash move of some sort.

Everyone pretty much has either a dash or a teleport.

Every one has a dash. I also suggest you guys start block cancelling the dash. You can move faster and it is a bit safer.

Stryker's roll will go through fireballs. Don't know if you need to EX it or not.

LowParry

Ugh, tried a few online matches. Not impressed at all. Nothing but spams of the same combo over and over and over and over. And over. Also laggy. :( Sad panda.

Kimosabae said:
Currently in training mode...

Can someone explain to me the significance of mids in this game? Does that just mean they can be blocked high/low?

Mids are moves that have to be blocked standing. So if someone is turtling, doing a mid will force them to stand to block. Another way to break their defense is to throw the opponent.

Chavelo

Wooo! Just picked up MK from the gamestop close to my job. Will then head to Target/log on to Steam to pick up Portal 2.

Then, I shall have a glorious PORTAL KOMBAT this next few days. :D

I also happened to get a klassic kostume for Scorpion (didn't even pre-order). Anyone wanna trade for a Reptile or Sub-Zero costume?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FallingEdge said:
Mids are moves that have to be blocked standing. So if someone is turtling, doing a mid will force them to stand. Another way to break their defense is to throw the opponent.
I wonder why they didn't call them overheads like every other fighting game (except VF, I guess).

Tokubetsu

Teknoman said:
Number one rule of Mortal Kombat:

If you forget the fataility, do an uppercut.

Flashbacks to the days when Gamepro or EGM were the places to get all the Kombat info you needed.

Hahah I wasn't the only one. MK's uppercut is so satisfying. I always hoped it would do stage fatalities back in the old days haha.

SapientWolf said:
I wonder why they didn't call them overheads like every other fighting game (except VF, I guess).

Mids are more of a 3D term so you would hear them in Tekken or VF. Not so much in 2D fighters but they mean the same thing. In addition to mids, this game also has low crushes as well.

MK9 seriously feels like Tekken/VF.

Sblargh

Banned
Re: chains
I don't really have this problem in SF4, but in this game and in MvC3, it annoys me a bit. On one hand is good because I don't need to time stuff perfectly like in SF4 (where the risk/reward rate of some combos would just explode due to one highly punishable link).
In MvC3, what annoys me is that that game don't even have punch and kick buttons, so it really feel like I just decorated this sequence of arbitrary inputs.
Here on MK, the problem is that I'm not really getting how to hit-confirm stuff, since you seem to commit to the 3rd button press before having time to check if the 1st one connected. Is it really like this or the problem is my reaction time? This is a problem because combos here actually change the animation, so while BP alone might be safe on a hypothetical situation, BP on the context of the combo might be not... am I wrong or missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom