• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbon

CcrooK said:
Ugh, tried a few online matches. Not impressed at all. Nothing but spams of the same combo over and over and over and over. And over. Also laggy. :( Sad panda.

So it's like every fighting game online that keeps tally of your wins/losses?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sblargh said:
Re: chains
I don't really have this problem in SF4, but in this game and in MvC3, it annoys me a bit. On one hand is good because I don't need to time stuff perfectly like in SF4 (where the risk/reward rate of some combos would just explode due to one highly punishable link).
In MvC3, what annoys me is that that game don't even have punch and kick buttons, so it really feel like I just decorated this sequence of arbitrary inputs.
Here on MK, the problem is that I'm not really getting how to hit-confirm stuff, since you seem to commit to the 3rd button press before having time to check if the 1st one connected. Is it really like this or the problem is my reaction time? This is a problem because combos here actually change the animation, so while BP alone might be safe on a hypothetical situation, BP on the context of the combo might be not... am I wrong or missing something?

MvC feels like arbitrary inputs? Huh? You're going from light attacks to strong attacks and when you press the buttons in sequence, the animations don't actually change and they make sense.

In MK, when you dial a combo, the character does moves that don't even remotely resemble what they would look like outside of the combo. Kick buttons don't even always do kicks, and punches don't alway do punches.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so what button layout is everyone using with an SFIV TE?

currently using this atm

Front punch-back punch-block
Front kick-back kick-tag

OSHAN

Anyone else pick up the guide?

I'm finding it lackluster.

For one, the position you need to be in for Fatalities doesn't appear to be accurate for all of them. I apologize that I don't have a specific example at the moment, but I'm at work.

It also doesn't have
babalities
, at least from what I could find.

It doesn't show where the secret krypts are either, though it does say they're secret krypts. A little annoying.

bumpkin

Nelo Ice said:
so what button layout is everyone using with an SFIV TE?

currently using this atm

Front punch-back punch-block
Front kick-back kick-tag
That's what I've been doing, but I'm debating changing it to be more MK cabinet-esque. I find more often than not it's almost inconvenient to have to reach way over to the right to block or tag.

Here's what I'm thinking...

FP BL FK
BP TAG BK

LowParry

I've warmed up more to playing with the pad with this game instead of an arcade stick. Just feels more natural. So I may just stick to being a Pad Warrior with MK. :D

Grifter

I'm about to cave and grab this after work. Even if the fighting engine turns out broken, the graphics, sound, presentation, silly story, likely post-release patching, and nostalgic value are looking worthwhile.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
I've warmed up more to playing with the pad with this game instead of an arcade stick. Just feels more natural. So I may just stick to being a Pad Warrior with MK. :D

MK always seemed like it was better with a controller imo.

Novid

Banned
Got the game (preordered)

I used to think Boon was those fly by night dudes, but MK9 just on story ALONE proves he has talent.

The problem some might be having with the move sets and combos MK is a more type and fire instead of using the thumb and firing. I mean both work but the later is pray it hits.

As for Kratos - lets take Dante for instance from MVC3, he has so many move sets but nobody ever got a handle on him except for a few as of now. Give it some weeks and the people that stick with him will see dividends.

Online, this is a tricky one. I LOVE King of the HILL. Its the best online thing yet on any of the fighters. The whole fucking thing is a god send after another. Reminds me of the OLD days as a kid.

Ranked needs to be faster searching.

Lets put this this way about Online though, the lag can be horribad at times but the twenty or so matches i was on 5 were great, 10 were good, 5 were fair and about 2 or 3 were bad. The one second delay is gonna take getting used to. There will be patches.

Outside of a few nags the game is a great effort and a great start for the rebirth of the franchise.

OSHAN said:

For one, the position you need to be in for Fatalities doesn't appear to be accurate for all of them. I apologize that I don't have a specific example at the moment, but I'm at work.

It also doesn't have
babalities

It doesn't show where the secret krypts are either, though it does say they're secret krypts. A little annoying.

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed with the kollector's guide I bought for the reasons you listed. I also thought it might have some strategies on how to beat that cheap ass mofo Khan. I'd also hoped for a better art collection. Several full pages dedicated to it would've been nice instead of being mixed in with the interview stuff.

The laminated character move list cards are pretty sweet though, but like you said they don't list the fatality distance requirements or babalities sadly.

Criminal Upper said:
If you have an X-Ray stored up, and you don't remember the fatality...do the X-Ray! You will dazzle casual onlookers who think you're elite!
That won't work if your X-Ray is a counter though, right?

Grifter

I have a ~5yo nephew and niece staying over for the weekend. I wonder if this game can make them scream or cry or piss my couch.

LowParry

Teknoman said:
MK always seemed like it was better with a controller imo.

This is true. Although the one thing I have small problems with executing is the EX moves because of the Block button use. So it's either the use of thumb with the block at R2 or block set to L2, using the index and middle finger. Man. It's been so long since I've played a fighter on a pad. Good times though.

I'm taking part in a Whiskey Media Scrub League Invitational Ladder tournament tomorrow. Not sure if it will be part of TNT but there's a good chance you'll get to see me get the shit kicked out of me seven different ways. Tune in for LOLs!

GrayFoxPL

Grifter said:
I have a ~5yo nephew and niece staying over for the weekend. I wonder if this game can make them scream or cry or piss my couch.

As an uncle myself I say: the fuck is wrong with you?

Teknoman

Grifter said:

imOH6Q.jpg

They might end up beating you.

_dementia said:
How old are you? That seems pretty mean-spirited and immature :(

GrayFoxPL said:
As an uncle myself I say: the fuck is wrong with you?

Well on the other hand, how old were you the first time you played a MK game? Now making them watch you play Silent Hill or Siren, thats another story. They'll probably just sit there and either ask to play or say "thats nasty" and go do something else :p

Struct09

SOLDIER said:
Is there a consensus yet on which version is best overall? I can't decide which platform to get this on.

Does one outperform the other graphically? What about online? And is Kratos a good character or not really worth it as a selling point for PS3?

I got both versions, and was switching between them both yesterday. The Xbox 360 version looked noticeably better on my TV, mostly due to the colors seeming to pop more. I played online with both versions, having slightly better performance on XBL. I did play with some friends on PSN and it was completely playable.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Completely OT, but that poster reminds me of that one fighting game that actually projected a 3D hologram. Game sucked of course, but the affect was pretty cool. Anybody remember what that was called?

Lost Fragment said:
Completely OT, but that poster reminds me of that one fighting game that actually projected a 3D hologram. Game sucked of course, but the affect was pretty cool. Anybody remember what that was called?
Time Traveler?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Gary Whitta said:
Time Traveler?

The setup/technology looks pretty similar to what I remember, but I could've sworn the game I was thinking of was like holographic rock 'em sock 'em robots. It's been a while though so maybe I got some wires crossed somewhere and it is Time Traveler.

DRE Fei

Man, Smoke is awesome in this game. New main konfirmed!

I've been playing since arcade MK1 in 1992 and this is easily the best MK game I have ever played.

sleepykyo

Ribbon said:
So it's like every fighting game online that keeps tally of your wins/losses?

Not quite.

MK: general b&b, ground game (probably), wall combo
SF: general b&b, ground game (untechable finisher), wall combo, max stun,
Tekken: general b&b, ground game (better okizeme), wall combo, wall carry
VF: ibid, open/close stance

All fighting games probably have the first 3, but then they have something else.

GrayFoxPL

Teknoman said:
Well on the other hand, how old were you the first time you played a MK game? Now making them watch you play Silent Hill or Siren, thats another story. They'll probably just sit there and either ask to play or say "thats nasty" and go do something else :p

I was 5 years older then them. Have you any idea about little childrens psychic? I helped rising my little nephew and I know how easily they are getting scared.

If you think showing this

eSe.jpg

uwM.jpg

to a 5 yo is fine, you're out of your freaking mind.

Grifter

Before someone sends a social worker to my house, I was kidding. I do have to entertain kiddies and am counting on Rock Band and the flashing seizure lights of MvC3 to do the trick.

Now, I was a little older than they are when I played MK1 for the first time and saw the Kano fatality. If I wasn't at some rough bodega with the cabinets outside the store, I would've sat down and fanned myself.

sleepykyo

GrayFoxPL said:
I was 5 years older then them. Have I any idea about little childrens psychic? I helped rising my little nephew and I know how easily they are getting scared.

If you think showing this

eSe.jpg

uwM.jpg

to a 5 yo is fine, you're out of your freaking mind.

That reminds me of NerdJosh's joke after seeing Noob's finisher on Kitania. At least I think the response was a joke.

dankir

OSHAN said:

It also doesn't have
babalities

Yeah I pre ordered before deciding on whether to pick up the game up or not. I have the guide and the Mad Catz panel top but not the game yet lol.

In any case I did find it lackluster it's definitely not as in depth as the MvC3 guide. Why would they only show screens of one fatality and not both, or how to unlock the secret characters, frame data, etc

I mean it's pretty and all with the hardcover but I was surprised at what was missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom