• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I just get ripped off?

I just recieved my KE strategy guide and.... where are the character histories? The evolution of each fighter? Those are the reasons I bought this shit. What the fucking fuck?!?! I am so fucking pissed off i want to smash something.

G-Fex said:
Playing Story Mode. Awesome so far, man it's pretty much "get good with this character or else". It's more better practice than practice mode. I now know how to use Sonya :D
learn her tag combos to so we can fuck shit up

Morn

Banned
FUCK THIS SHIT.

I'm not playing online with these cheap ass Scorpion players. 3 losses in a row to idiots who don't even know the fatalities.

blurrygil

I have to say this is the best MK to date. So much fan service. So many modes. Fairly balanced gameplay and just plain addictive.

WB Games, thank you SO F**KIN MUCH FOR SAVING THIS SERIES FROM THE SH*TTER!!!!!!

Boon, I want to have your babies so that this series will never die.

Struct09

CorruptionDee said:
Just to reiterate what's already been said countless times, the game is simply epic. Ed Boon and company have literally pulled off a miracle and resurrected a dead franchise. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Ed Boon enlisted the help of Quan Chi.

The game is literally the best Mortal Kombat I have ever played, and probably one of the best fighting games period. I have been a Mortal Kombat fanatic since playing the first game in my old Neighborhood way back in Fall of 1992. It was sad seeing Mortal Kombat fall from grace when games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and the Capcom VS games hit the scene. He tried really hard, but it never felt right. Then this game came along, and it's just mind blowing. It is literally beyond my wildest expectations. It's so deep and full of content that you'd have to be insane to nitpick.The story mode is epic. It's a fanboy's wet dream come true.

With that said, if I have one complaint. It would have to be Shao Khan on story mode. He sucks a big one. He's literally cheap on SNK proportions. He's an Art of Fighting-esque boss. I hate him so bad and like 99% of people, he's giving me hell.

Literally

I am FURIOUS!! Looked over the book several times. Not a single thing showing and detailing the character histories and visual evolution. FUCK the false advertisements. I demand my money back. So fucking cheap.

blurrygil

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I am FURIOUS!! Looked over the book several times. Not a single thing showing and detailing the character histories and visual evolution. FUCK the false advertisements. I demand my money back. So fucking cheap.

That's a Prima Guide for ya...

fernoca said:
Lots of jumping and Front Punch-initiated combos did the trick for the fight in my case. :p

WAT? He didn't do the air ram? Did you just jump straight up? Every time I lept forward, *DASH!* When I decided to be bold and just pummel him directly, I got some nice hits in so I have the impression I could just block and then combo, rinse repeat ad naseum.

Morn said:
Fucking hackers. Just had a rage quitter quit on me and it counted as a disconnect for me.
cousin had this also, someone quit on him yet he was left with a quit mark.

Any online gaf rooms going on? euro to keep lag down if possible.

Diablohead said:
Had work but online before I left I was 2 win 1 loss in ranked, the loss being the laggy shit I moaned about a few hours ago :p

To beat shao khan with ermac on my 3rd try I fireball locked him in a corner, he did nothing but block so I chipped for the win, lol, next time I will go crush his balls in the correct manor.

The KE figure is still shit after not looking at it for the last 5 hours, ugly plastic shit :( anyone else agree with me in europe? start of next month I will repaint it myself and post some pictures.

The US KE is pimp :). Very detailed. The only thing is that Subs looks like a chick in the face

Fantasmo

Squall ASF said:
WAT? He didn't do the air ram? Did you just jump straight up? Every time I lept forward, *DASH!* When I decided to be bold and just pummel him directly, I got some nice hits in so I have the impression I could just block and then combo, rinse repeat ad naseum.

Just lose a bunch of times in a row without attacking once. They act stupid after that.

junkster said:
Just lose a bunch of times in a row without attacking once. They act stupid after that.

Really? that's kind of funny. If I wanted to win that way, I'd lower the difficulty. I'm going with the man up approach of fighting right in his face. Just wanted to see if there were other specific strategies you guys came up with and killing time at work ;) This was interesting though so thanks.

Does searching for a room or game online take ages for anyone here? maybe its because its late but i've only found one king of the hill room and 2 fights in before my turn the lost left or something, kicked me back to the menu :(

Online is so laggy I can't combo straight, and just now the game decided to drop out for no reason in round 3 of a match, such shitty online.

Fantasmo

Squall ASF said:
Really? that's kind of funny. If I wanted to win that way, I'd lower the difficulty. I'm going with the man up approach of fighting right in his face. Just wanted to see if there were other specific strategies you guys came up with and killing time at work ;) This was interesting though so thanks.

They seem to attack really hard the first few times. Losing a few times they seem to act stupid. Especially if you start blocking and mixing up special moves, throws, and XRays after a couple losses.

Play hard and they react faster = lose.

Messi said:
No need to get insulting now man.

Hahaha, I made that 'rather play Dead or Alive 4' comment because I know that a lot of people look down their nose at the game.

As a fighting fan, I looked down on that series for a long time, but DOA4 shocked me. The shorter counter window and all the other tweaks they made did a world of difference. I enjoyed it a lot.

I certainly remember enjoying it a lot more than I'm currently enjoying MK.

But DOA is basically a VF style fighter, so it probably just took less getting used to. So I'm sticking through the frustration and trying to get a handle on this game.

CorruptionDee said:
Just to reiterate what's already been said countless times, the game is simply epic. Ed Boon and company have literally pulled off a miracle and resurrected a dead franchise. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Ed Boon enlisted the help of Quan Chi.

The game is literally the best Mortal Kombat I have ever played, and probably one of the best fighting games period. I have been a Mortal Kombat fanatic since playing the first game in my old Neighborhood way back in Fall of 1992. It was sad seeing Mortal Kombat fall from grace when games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and the Capcom VS games hit the scene. He tried really hard, but it never felt right. Then this game came along, and it's just mind blowing. It is literally beyond my wildest expectations. It's so deep and full of content that you'd have to be insane to nitpick.The story mode is epic. It's a fanboy's wet dream come true.

With that said, if I have one complaint. It would have to be Shao Khan on story mode. He sucks a big one. He's literally cheap on SNK proportions. He's an Art of Fighting-esque boss. I hate him so bad and like 99% of people, he's giving me hell.

Posts like this are making it so hard for me to not go out and buy this. Argh! I haven't played a Mortal Kombat since UMK3, but man....I was really hoping to wait it out on this one. Maybe I'll use my $20 credit from Portal 2 on this so I don't feel as guilty for buying it.

junkster said:
They seem to attack really hard the first few times. Losing a few times they seem to act stupid. Especially if you start blocking and mixing up special moves, throws, and XRays after a couple losses.

Play hard and they react faster = lose.

I heard that he starts taunting more often if you lose multiple times. That was a good idea by NRS as a measure for people that are struggling at a certain part. I'm going to see how block works on him, surely it will but if it doesn't and he really is made of magical pwnage than I'll go into win at any cost mode. I figured he'd do some kind of punishing grab if I stayed near and block but there really doesn't seem to be any other viable strategies (besides spam projectiles across the screen).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to second the complaints about the amount of 2 vs 1 fights in story mode. Quite annoying when I'm using characters I'm not comfortable with.

The best guide at the moment is at www.testyourmight.com

Have Been learning a lot there, like Kung lao Guide

He is so good.

Also about online play I found I can never get into a ranked match, but 8 out of 10 times if I am in a lobby and get into a game I get no lag.

Xevren

Morn said:
FUCK THIS SHIT.

I'm not playing online with these cheap ass Scorpion players. 3 losses in a row to idiots who don't even know the fatalities.

What's giving you problems from Scorpion? He doesn't seem very good to me, most of his shit is highly punishable.

Chamber said:
I have to second the complaints about the amount of 2 vs 1 fights in story mode. Quite annoying when I'm using characters I'm not comfortable with.

You just have to be really aggressive. If you press them into a corner and keep pummeling, you either finish off one of them quickly or you hit the tag partner the second they come in so it's win win. The last thing you want to do is give them space to start shooting projectiles and having the space to combine their moves together.

Xevren said:
What's giving you problems from Scorpion? He doesn't seem very good to me, most of his shit is highly punishable.
I fought some guy who would do some fast 4 hit combo and a hook straight after and just do it non stop, its hard to punish but it is not a problem once you get use to it imo.

fernoca

Squall ASF said:
He did, but I usually jumped first so I ended on his back and initiated the combo in the air. When it failed to initiate the combo, at least the air-punch got a hit and send him to the ground. So it was a matter of try again..and again. :p

Chamber said:
It like the Endurance Rounds from the original game. Only more difficult since the character can alternate and do combos. :p

Shao Kahn on Story mode is a b****. I can beat his ass in ladder matches no prob... but he's seriously cheap in story mode.

Only way I found to kick his ass is to teleport away from the man everytime he throws his hammer down and I uppercut him.

Quan chi's also a bitch whenever he tagteams with somebody else.

I still love this game. It's indeed quality over quantity. Unlike all those PS2 games(I liked them but...)

ugh lost to a cage because of lag, my moves just dont come out its like some directions get ignored because of a delay.

So many chances to punish not working because it didn't see me pressing back or something, fighting game with this netcode style is total bollocks, it's like having your gun not shoot in halo because of lag, or having your aiming not respond when it should because its behind itself via lag, total crap.

fucking piece of shit online boon you dropped the ball, I really wanted to keep playing this online for months :/

Yes I am upset about it, paid £50 for this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Squall ASF said:

I've only fought Kintaro and Shao Kahn so far but Shao Kahn was the easier of the two. Trying to attack any of these guys head on with jump-ins never worked for me. All of the bosses appear to have super armor on all of their moves that have priority over every thing you throw at them. For Shao Kahn I would just block, jump around and generally try and avoid his attacks until he started taunting.

Note: this was on ladder mode. Maybe he's even more of a bitch in story mode? :D

The funniest shit is when you get hit by the hammer that dizzies you and then he just keeps throwing the hammer and re-dizzing you...lol WTF

fernoca

Regarding the decrypted list;
1. Hahaha...That banned-words list is such a gem. XD
2. Ava-Kinect is just the configuration for the avatars on the Xbox 360. It's on both versions of the game. Even it mentions "PC" but there's no PC version at the moment.
3. The IsonDiscDLC part just refers to the characters Kratos and "that other one" being on the DLC slot. Not that there's DLC on th disc for those characters. For the other characters, just refers to their retro costumes...with one exception; for "that other character". :p

henhowc said:
Note: this was on ladder mode. Maybe he's even more of a bitch in story mode? :D
Yeah, he is. :p

Diablohead said:
ugh lost to a cage because of lag, my moves just dont come out its like some directions get ignored because of a delay.

So many chances to punish not working because it didn't see me pressing back or something, fighting game with this netcode style is total bollocks, it's like having your gun not shoot in halo because of lag, or having your aiming not respond when it should because its behind itself via lag, total crap.

fucking piece of shit online boon you dropped the ball, I really wanted to keep playing this online for months :/

Yes I am upset about it, paid £50 for this.
Well, you didn't liked the KE, and now hate the entire game. Might as well return it. :p

george_us

MOTHERFUCKING COCKSUCK SHAO KAHN AHHHH FUCK YOU YOU CHEAP PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!

Ahhhh feels like the 90s all over again. God bless you MK.

Random funny MK customer interaction today-

Customer- "Yeah I want to exchange my PS3 copy for 360"
Me- "Oh okay, it's already opened, but I'll do it for ya this once. What's wrong with it?"
Customer- "Kratos sucks"
Me- "Wait what?"
Customer- "Kratos is bad ass in God of War III, he sucks in MK. I was expecting him to be able to beat everyone. I go online and someone as Sonya beats me"
Me- "Well there are people on XBL that will probably beat you with Sonya as well you know?"
Customer- "Yeah but Kratos kills Zeus but not Pam Anderson? Makes no sense to me"

I then exchange the copy and refuse to speak to him again.

Minamu

fernoca said:
Regarding the decrypted list;
1. Hahaha...That banned-words list is such a gem. XD
2. Ava-Kinect is just the configuration for the avatars on the Xbox 360. It's on both versions of the game. Even it mentions "PC" but there's no PC version at the moment.
3. The IsonDiscDLC part just refers to the characters Kratos and "that other one" being on the DLC slot. Not that there's DLC on th disc for those characters. For the other characters, just refers to their retro costumes...with one exception; for "that other character". :p
Well, that sucks :D My copy better be ready tomorrow (10+ hours from now)...

Calcaneus

Man, they really covered everything with that banned word list. I like that all the $ variants are there as well. Though it is kinda weird that "ass", "shit" and "fuck" are banned in a game that features so much gruesome violence.

I rape Shao Kahn now with Kratos. Just stand back and golden fleece the hell out of him. Hell of it is, it boost your super meter too so you can do the EX-Fleece attack on him as well. This does more damage to him than any normal attacks as well. Beat him 2 times in a minute 30.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The trick to Shao Kahn is to keep him locked down with projectiles as much as possible. Don't trade hits, but make sure to fire a projectile and jump straight up when he throws the hammer. If he gets in close, either use your character's teleport or dash move to escape, or stand your ground, block the inevitable shoulder ram or air dash, and punish with your best dial-a-combo.

If you really can't hack it against him, after three losses he turns into an idiot and taunts constantly.

Square Triangle said:
Random funny MK customer interaction today-

Customer- "Yeah I want to exchange my PS3 copy for 360"
Me- "Oh okay, it's already opened, but I'll do it for ya this once. What's wrong with it?"
Customer- "Kratos sucks"
Me- "Wait what?"
Customer- "Kratos is bad ass in God of War III, he sucks in MK. I was expecting him to be able to beat everyone. I go online and someone as Sonya beats me"
Me- "Well there are people on XBL that will probably beat you with Sonya as well you know?"
Customer- "Yeah but Kratos kills Zeus but not Pam Anderson? Makes no sense to me"

I then exchange the copy and refuse to speak to him again.

Lol, lovely!

george_us

MattKeil said:
The trick to Shao Kahn is to keep him locked down with projectiles as much as possible. Don't trade hits, but make sure to fire a projectile and jump straight up when he throws the hammer. If he gets in close, either use your character's teleport or dash move to escape, or stand your ground, block the inevitable shoulder ram or air dash, and punish with your best dial-a-combo.

If you really can't hack it against him, after three losses he turns into an idiot and taunts constantly.
Yeah I just spammed low fireball and he just kept taunting me. Good stuff.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just reached Chapter 4 in Story Mode:

I may be jumping the gun here, but... as far as I can tell, Cyrax might be the first likeable black character in videogame history for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom