• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Squall ASF said:
You just have to be really aggressive. If you press them into a corner and keep pummeling, you either finish off one of them quickly or you hit the tag partner the second they come in so it's win win. The last thing you want to do is give them space to start shooting projectiles and having the space to combine their moves together.
Yeah, the way I'm doing it is pressing them into the corner and cheesing the shit out of them. Still, Quan and Scorpion took me for quite a ride.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Just played this game (in 3D, it has _awesome_ 3D) for 6 hours straight yesterday. I barely ever do that anymore. This is how a fighting game should be done. Story mode is amazing. The fighting system is absolutely fantastic with its depth and gameplay. The graphics are absolutely amazing. I've been learning each characters combos etc., been training quite a bit as Kratos (such an awesome addition to Mortal Kombat). Really looking forward to getting into King of the Hill online. Also plan on trying to get through most of the 300 challenges.

The amount of content in this game is just fantastic. Tekken, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom; this is how you do a fighting game from a content point of view. It's not enough anymore to just have an "arcade mode" and some challenges. Tekken and Soul Calibur are two fighting games that add a little bit, but not nearly enough.

Fighting combat system aside, the bar has been raised in the SP and MP modes of what a fighting game should contain and the quality.

Love everything about it. Mortal Kombat is back!

Dead

well not really...yet
The human Ninja design for Reptile in the artbook is really cool. Basically equivalent to Sub-Zero and Scorpions redesigns in this game.

Can't believe they didn't use it.

Messi

Kimosabae said:
Just reached Chapter 4 in Story Mode:

I may be jumping the gun here, but... as far as I can tell, Cyrax might be the first likeable black character in videogame history for me.

cole-train.jpg

fernoca said:
Well, you didn't liked the KE, and now hate the entire game. Might as well return it. :p
I'll get enough play out of it offline but seriously, the online blows and is a completely different game, you need to be fast characters like scorp or cage to do well since most matches are lack luster :/ and they say that they started the net code 2 years back? should have looked into ggpo.

The game itself is still awesome but when in this generation online is half the game for some of us, I feel like i've lost out.

The statue is a bit crap though compared to the US version, go back a few pages and take a look.

Fantasmo

Oh and Xrays completely ruin online since it's so laggy. You have a full second to pull 40%+ damage off with connections like these.

Kimosabae said:
Just reached Chapter 4 in Story Mode:

I may be jumping the gun here, but... as far as I can tell, Cyrax might be the first likeable black character in videogame history for me.

I don't know if you're racist or if the people who make video games are.

Messi

Kimosabae said:
Definitely not.

Being black and this being somewhat meaningful to me, I may make a thread about why I like Cyrax so much.

Well Coletrain is a dumbass, but he is still likeable.

But I agree cyrax is awesome. Games need more likeable black characters, actually to be fair games need more races in general that arent bald white space marine. I just trying to think of some good ones and there arent many.

Square Triangle said:
Random funny MK customer interaction today-

Customer- "Yeah I want to exchange my PS3 copy for 360"
Me- "Oh okay, it's already opened, but I'll do it for ya this once. What's wrong with it?"
Customer- "Kratos sucks"
Me- "Wait what?"
Customer- "Kratos is bad ass in God of War III, he sucks in MK. I was expecting him to be able to beat everyone. I go online and someone as Sonya beats me"
Me- "Well there are people on XBL that will probably beat you with Sonya as well you know?"
Customer- "Yeah but Kratos kills Zeus but not Pam Anderson? Makes no sense to me"

I then exchange the copy and refuse to speak to him again.

Verbal customer exchange of the forever.

Kimosabae

Banned
Messi said:
Well Coletrain is a dumbass, but he is still likeable.

But I agree cyrax is awesome. Games need more likeable black characters, actually to be fair games need more races in general that arent bald white space marine. I just trying to think of some good ones and there arent many.

I can see why certain kinds of people would find Coletrain likeable, but it's just as easy to see why someone discerning wouldn't like him.

Cyrax's skin color seems to be incidental to his character, which is why I like him so much - unlike Jax, who's an animated, digital, stereotype and is in the same freaking game.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I faced a pretty decent Kung Lao player just now.

I now understand why he's going to be an absolute beast in top level play. Dive kicks, teleport pressure, insane combos. Yikes.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
I can see why certain kinds of people would find Coletrain likeable, but it's just as easy to see why someone discerning wouldn't like him.

Cyrax's skin color seems to be incidental to his character, which is why I like him so much - unlike Jax, who's an animated, digital, stereotype and is in the same freaking game.

Definitely agree.

Vestal

Well came back from a 8hr play last night with my RL friend.. Here are some impressions as far as characters go.

Kung Lao: SOOO much potential. His combination of attacks makes him very deadly, he just has all the tools.
Melinaa: Still one of my favorites. Quick as hell.
Sub Zero: YYYY, stupid combo that does some pretty nice damage.
Cyrax: Lots of fun.. His teleport is one of the better ones, and bomb + TP + net is awesome.
Noob: He is gona have to be balanced out a bit.. The running tackle is quick as hell, combine that with the ghost ball being slower makes for alot of headaches for characters without a TP.
Kitana: I see potential here aswell.. The double fan throw is pretty nice, but haven't found a good combo for the levitate move yet.

Then again we were trying out all of the characters.. I think top 3 right now would be:
Kung Lao
Cyrax
Melinaa

Me and my friend Marked out when we finally got a Toasty half way through our 8hr marathon. At that moment we felt, ok this is a complete MK game.

most people who buy games in the United States and probably in the entire western world are white males, and just like a black person, they probably want to see someone like them as a player character.

I don't think it has to due with racism-- as in using stereotypes to create caricatures to insult races. I think they just need to make sure that their products sell. You just have to realize that their are 170+ million "white" Americans and only 30+ million black Americans. While i'm sure they're are a lot of people who try to not see things in color, the vast majority of people do in fact notice race and color.

bubba in the south pays the same amount of dollars per unit for these games as Tyrone in the Bronx does. Dev's don't want to offend black people, but I'm sure they still want Bubba to buy games too. Bubba isn't going to buy a game where the main character is Black and portrayed in a positive way. It just ain't going to happen. Look at the belt of Red on the 2008 electoral college map. That's just they way the world is.

.GqueB.

Banned
Square Triangle said:

Me- "Oh okay, it's already opened, but I'll do it for ya this once. What's wrong with it?"
Customer- "Kratos sucks"
Me- "Wait what?"
Customer- "Kratos is bad ass in God of War III, he sucks in MK. I was expecting him to be able to beat everyone. I go online and someone as Sonya beats me"
Me- "Well there are people on XBL that will probably beat you with Sonya as well you know?"
Customer- "Yeah but Kratos kills Zeus but not Pam Anderson? Makes no sense to me"

You got trolled my man. Thats definitely something I would say to have some fun with an employee.

So... if Ed Boon is very active on Twitter, have people hating on the online bombarded him with tweets yet? You'd think at least one of them would get his attention and maybe some acknowledgement from NRS about the issue and a potential fix.

I mean, they're already talking about how they can stealth tweak the game without patches...

MrMephistoX

Messi said:
Some of those words were new to me. It makes me laugh thinking about the fact that someone was paid to censor these words.

word=alabama porch monkey

My personal favorite. What does that even mean?

Wow.

On my second day playing the game, I went 15 and 2 using Smoke. This was the first time I've used Smoke.

I think he may be a TAD overpowered.

G-Fex

Well that Quan-Chi/Scorpion fight was a bitch.

Yeah Cyrax is a pretty awesome guy.

To be fair Jax has always been that way, but Michael Jai White is a great Jax.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Diablohead said:
I'll get enough play out of it offline but seriously, the online blows and is a completely different game, you need to be fast characters like scorp or cage to do well since most matches are lack luster :/ and they say that they started the net code 2 years back? should have looked into ggpo.

The game itself is still awesome but when in this generation online is half the game for some of us, I feel like i've lost out.

The statue is a bit crap though compared to the US version, go back a few pages and take a look.
How bad are we talking about here? Is it worse than SFIV and MvC3?

alstein

SapientWolf said:
How bad are we talking about here? Is it worse than SFIV and MvC3?

I'd say it's around that level. I've had mixed experiences. It is capable of working well, so it's better then SC4 and KOF netcode.

Kimosabae said:
There is a third possibility:

You're retarded.

you my friend won the internet,
God forbid people of color identify with a character who isn't a walking stereotype.
I enjoyed Cyrax in the story mode as well, likable and more in tune with my temperment.

Square Triangle said:

Customer- "Kratos sucks"
Me- "Wait what?"

I was at my local Gamestop last week picking up Majin & the Forsaken Kingdom because of the sale, and I was the only customer in the store. I had an intelligent conversation about video games with the clerk running the cash register for about ten minutes before he had to answer a phone call. He had a pleasant smile on his face and waved bye, acting far friendlier than normal for a clerk.

If this is the normal type of customer a Gamestop employee works with, now I know why he was so happy.

I must be the only person who doesn't like the way Cyrax plays. Maybe I need to really strategize with him, but I found his close range capabilities crappy.

I keep beating all these bosses by whoring special moves over and over.

Whether it's the freeze, or teleport, or whatever.

Why bother even attempting to combo if the bosses all auto-block most everything you throw at them?

Lame.

Struct09

Professor Beef said:
I hope this wasn't posted already.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1259200457_kBbnNFz-L.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27277109&postcount=3888[/url]

;)

Okay now really how is
Shao Khan kicking my ass in story mode on beginner
. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can't just ABSORB ATTACKS

Soulscribe said:
Okay now really how is
Shao Khan kicking my ass in story mode on beginner
. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can't just ABSORB ATTACKS

Bad game design.

They aren't good enough at programming AI to make fights challenging without being cheap.

If you hit Shao Kahn several times in a quick combo, the second or third attack should actually get through and cause him to stumble.

But honestly, I just whore specials when I face him in ladder mode.

Khezu

The Antitype said:
Can someone inform me of what exactly smoke's 'SHAKE' move is supposed to do?

I've tried using it to repel projectiles, but no go.

Its a parry, it works on projectiles, it causes smoke to teleport above the opponent and hit them.
The EX version also works on every attack including normals, except for low attacks I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom