• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Antitype said:
Bad game design.

They aren't good enough at programming AI to make fights challenging without being cheap.

If you hit Shao Kahn several times in a quick combo, the second or third attack should actually get through and cause him to stumble.

But honestly, I just whore specials when I face him in ladder mode.

And it sucks even more coz I'm terrible at Liu Kang. I was using him in ladder mode and ended up switching him with Sonya to knock that motherfucker out. Shit's crazy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Soulscribe said:
And it sucks even more coz I'm terrible at Liu Kang. I was using him in ladder mode and ended up switching him with Sonya to knock that motherfucker out. Shit's crazy.

Liu Kang's fireballs destroy all the bosses. They also get hit a lot by bicycle kick, do it when you have x-factor so if they block it you can do that right after you land.

All three of the bosses are easily gamed here, even if it's as simple as doing jump kick into uppercut as a last resort.

Papercuts said:
Liu Kang's fireballs destroy all the bosses. They also get hit a lot by bicycle kick, do it when you have x-factor so if they block it you can do that right after you land.

All three of the bosses are easily gamed here, even if it's as simple as doing jump kick into uppercut as a last resort.

Yep. Nothing screams quality like bosses that require cheesy tactics to win.

Awesome.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Antitype said:

Awesome.

The hate is strong with this one. I assume they didn't allow you to return the game for a refund?

And on that note, I've discovered that characters with an air teleport attack (Scorpion, Ermac) confuse the SHIT outta Shao Khan.

Chairhome

After figuring out that you can try other fatalities in fatality practice, I think I'm going to put it on infinite timer and guess fatalities...i guess this is how they used to find them in the arcade...

Edit: Wow, after trying for a minute, I was thinking "this is dumb, what am I doing?", then I figured out reptile's second fatality by myself. Feels very rewarding!

Papercuts

The Antitype said:

Awesome.

I can't think of a fighting game that doesn't. SCIV wasn't bad with Algol, which is all I can really recall.

The Antitype said:

Awesome.

Most fighting game bosses in my recent memory are cheap and annoying and require cheesy tactics to win. MK games have always been like that as well, definitely not the exception to the rule.

Papercuts said:
I can't think of a fighting game that doesn't. SCIV wasn't bad with Algol, which is all I can really recall.

Exactly.

Namco bosses usually aren't too terrible, (save Tekken 6) but other than that, the first one that came to mind was Dictator from back in my SF2 days.

fernoca

They also said that they made the bosses "cheap" intentionally; so it can't be "bad game design" when they made them on purpose like that (to be like the original games). That way the bosses feel like "powerful bosses" (absorbing attacks), so the same tactics and combos don't work with them.

Yeah, cheap, lots of swearing and screaming and wanting to break the controller in half. But not impossible. :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, the MK bosses are NOTHING compared to Igniz in KoF 2001, Shin Gaoh in SamSho VI, or Hazama in BBCS. Really. They're hard, but manageable, unlike the aforementioned unholy trinity of fighting game bosses.

Kusagari

Seraphis Cain said:
Also, the MK bosses are NOTHING compared to Igniz in KoF 2001, Shin Gaoh in SamSho VI, or Hazama in BBCS. Really. They're hard, but manageable, unlike the aforementioned unholy trinity of fighting game bosses.

Magaki is worse than all of those. Especially Hazama, I don't know why he's on there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kusagari said:
Magaki is worse than all of those. Especially Hazama, I don't know why he's on there.

Well, I'm referring solely to Arcade Mode Hazama. Fuck that guy. The whole time I owned BBCS, I never once beat him.

Magaki IS a fucker though. "HEY, YOU KIDS LIKE FIREBALLS?!"

Random question, but is there any rhyme or reason to the screamers popping up in the krypt? Are there specific places they hang out, or is there a certain time limit (every 10 minutes) or so? Or is there appearance completely random?

Need to record one for a video.

The Antitype said:

Awesome.

It wouldn't feel like MK any other way. I actually like the cheap bosses in this one. Adds to the sense of satisfaction I get when I land the last hit.

Overpowered specials and insane life-bars I can understand, even if I still think they're cop-outs for having legit AI.

But when bosses are literally IMMUNE to one of the key pillars of the combat (throws) and absorb attacks, it's just stupid.

There's nothing satisfying about beating a boss when you have to play like a cheese-ball to do it.

Papercuts

Criminal Upper said:
Random question, but is there any rhyme or reason to the screamers popping up in the krypt? Are there specific places they hang out, or is there a certain time limit (every 10 minutes) or so? Or is there appearance completely random?

Need to record one for a video.

Oh, there's more than one? I've had it happen once, but then I beat story mode and spent a good 150K in the place which took awhile without seeing another. Must be random.

Papercuts

The Antitype said:
Overpowered specials and insane life-bars I can understand, even if I still think they're cop-outs for having legit AI.

But when bosses are literally IMMUNE to one of the key pillars of the combat (throws) and absorb attacks, it's just stupid.

There's nothing satisfying about beating a boss when you have to play like a cheese-ball to do it.

They have super armor on attacks, you can "absorb" a hit with quite a few character's x-rays just like it. You can't throw then with a normal throw, but both of Ermac's pulling moves work, and things of that nature. You can actually use that to your advantage, I always normal throw goro, then x-ray when I get up because he always taunts you.

yeah, they're cheap, but there's a lot of consistent strategies to combat it, which usually doesn't work. When I play with a character I don't know at all, I just go on beginner. I was able to jump right in their faces with Sonya and beat the shit out of them. If you put SFIV on the easiest setting Seth STILL goes apeshit on round 2, I'm only able to beat him with all characters by switching to 1 round and fluking a win.

Plus I played a challenge in the tower earlier that let me beat people up as Goro, so then you can abuse his cheapness as much as you want. :p

People need to go back and play MK2 (and not the easier ports like on Genesis). The AI would throw you whenever you tried to get up close. Kintaro was nearly impossible, and Shao Kahn was impossible. I'm seeing people beat this game so it's not nearly as bad.

fernoca

Frankfurt said:
Seth Killian said it can't be used in a 3d game. SF, MVC, you name it. He said using GGPO in a 3D game would mean re-writing the whole thing over, making it useless.
Not to mention that GGPO is not perfect neither. One has lag in character inputs when there's lag in the connection, the other has characters disappearing and appearing all over the screen when there's lag. So don't know why it's assumed that every fighter will run perfectly if it uses GGPO, internet connection, speed, wireless/wired and lag still has effect on them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
fernoca said:
They also said that they made the bosses "cheap" intentionally; so it can't be "bad game design" when they made them on purpose like that (to be like the original games). That way the bosses feel like "powerful bosses" (absorbing attacks), so the same tactics and combos don't work with them.

Yeah, cheap, lots of swearing and screaming and wanting to break the controller in half. But not impossible. :p
They originally did that to make people put more quarters in the machine. It's a weird anachronism.

evil ways

Shao Kahns super armor business is bullshit. As soon as he flashes *boom* free hit(s).

Earlier in Story Mode he spammed his stun hammer 4 times in a row then he taunted. Cheap motherfucker!!

Big One

Banned
Just got the game today and been playing it constantly. Loving it quite a lot, and the Story mode is a surprising challenge (mainly cause of how it switches between characters). Also is it just me or if they removed the boss-exclusive properties from Shao Kahn, Goro, and Kintaro they could totally be playable on the same tier as the other characters? I'd love to see a DLC pack that unlocks them somehow.

This game does a lot of great things in terms of presentation, but falls so short on so many of the fundamentals.

I can't get my money back on it though, so I guess I'll keep it around for nights when my roommates and I get too drunk to play real fighters.

MG310

Goro didn't seem to use his super armor all that much any time I fought him..maybe 1/5 the amount Kintaro does. He would probably be somewhat fair..though doesn't his X Ray do 53 percent damage?

fernoca

Big One said:
Just got the game today and been playing it constantly. Loving it quite a lot, and the Story mode is a surprising challenge (mainly cause of how it switches between characters). Also is it just me or if they removed the boss-exclusive properties from Shao Kahn, Goro, and Kintaro they could totally be playable on the same tier as the other characters? I'd love to see a DLC pack that unlocks them somehow.
Well, the original leaked file (from the demo) has bios and endings for Goro and Kintaro; so it seems they already created that. You can also (-ality spoiler)
perform a Babality on Kintaro
in Ladder Mode; so that data also seems to be in the disc.

The document of the ban-from Australia also described Shao Kahn's Fatality (and many that have seen it say it's disgusting):
Shao Khan uses his hands to explicitly rip an opponent’s body vertically in two

Aske

MrMephistoX said:
On a side note is the Gamestop DLC a card or printed on the receipt? I was planning to pull a dastardly deed and return my pre-order but if you have to return that too it's not worth it.

fernoca said:
Printed on the receipt. But don't know how it works for returns. I mean; if you use the code and return the game, would it appear on the computer and they won't allow the return? Seems unlikely, but who knows.

I got a card taped to the box, similar to the card inside the BestBuy copy - nothing on the receipt.

I'll be returning my Gamestop copy tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I don't anticipate a problem. The game is still sealed, and I paid the same price for game + bonuses on release day as I would for have paid for the game by itself today. I also got a shirt from BestBuy, and there's no way they'd expect me to return that because most people didn't get one. There's no mention of the pre-order bonus on the receipt, and there are people in this thread who pre-ordered from Gamespot and picked up the game, but didn't get their code.

Pre-order bonuses are informal rewards for pre-ordering the game; nothing more, nothing less. They're a way to entice buyers to shop at specific retailers, and a way to encourage people to buy the game day 1 on the part of publishers. There's no guarantee you'll get them when you buy the game on launch day, and no obligation to return them if you bring the game back.

fernoca

Aske said:
I got a card taped to the box, similar to the card inside the BestBuy copy - nothing on the receipt.

I'll be returning my Gamestop copy tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I don't anticipate a problem. The game is still sealed, and I paid the same price for game + bonuses on release day as I would for have paid for the game by itself today. I also got a shirt from BestBuy, and there's no way they'd expect me to return that because most people didn't get one. There's no mention of the pre-order bonus on the receipt, and there are people in this thread who pre-ordered from Gamespot and picked up the game, but didn't get their code.

Pre-order bonuses are informal rewards for pre-ordering the game; nothing more, nothing less. They're a way to entice buyers to shop at specific retailers, and a way to encourage people to buy the game day 1 on the part of publishers. There's no guarantee you'll get them when you buy the game on launch day, and no obligation to return them if you bring the game back.
Though, Canada got cards according to a few. US got codes in receipts it seems. Same US site said the code would be emailed if you ordered online or in the receipt in-store. (Mine was in the receipt, along with an expiration date)

In case of cards it's easier since you can say that you were never given a card. Cards are nice to look at too. :p

Which is why I don't know how would it work in the case of codes in the receipt. Though I don't supposed there will be a problem. Since is like if the person had a problem with the game later and had to exchange it; they won't exchange the code too. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
fernoca said:
Not to mention that GGPO is not perfect neither. One has lag in character inputs when there's lag in the connection, the other has characters disappearing and appearing all over the screen when there's lag. So don't know why it's assumed that every fighter will run perfectly if it uses GGPO, internet connection, speed, wireless/wired and lag still has effect on them.

Because a lot of people play Blazblue, which in more ways than merely being sprite based is built to make rollback type netcode work with a minimum of visual incongruity. But, folks play it, then expect that GGPO isn't used in every game solely because everybody else is "stupid".

One of the technical explanations I've always heard, that seems to make sense, is this: 3D character models don't exist as predefined frames of sprite animation. In order to adjust a 3D character with a ton of animation data, at 60fps, every time there is a rollback it'd require recalculating and playing back lot of animation. Randomly, too.

I've had it explained to me that 1: that incurs expensive CPU overhead, and 2: the time required to do it may introduce latency that's directly counter productive.

I'd be intensely curious to have someone ask the guys at Netherrealm about this explicitly and see what they say.

evil ways

fernoca said:
Well, the original leaked file (from the demo) has bios and endings for Goro and Kintaro; so it seems they already created that. You can also (-ality spoiler)
perform a Babality on Kintaro
in Ladder Mode; so that data also seems to be in the disc.

The document of the ban-from Australia also described Shao Kahn's Fatality (and many that have seen it say it's disgusting):
Shao Khan uses his hands to explicitly rip an opponent’s body vertically in two
I got his 2nd fatality on ladder mode,
He basically grabs you by the neck, throws you into the air then pulls out his hammer and hits you, making you explode to pieces
, it was cool to say the least.

scoobs

My shaokahn strat is get as far away as possible and throw projectiles while he taunts me. Actually got a flawless victory doing this

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I broke down and bought this game. Full price at that. The possibility that there is finally a good MK game after all these years was really nagging at me.

Teknoman

Just got back with the PS3 version, so if anyone out there can add TeknomanEX to the chat room...im ready when you are.

Wish MK didnt have such a krappy manual though. Though this game would at least have a decent one, being old school and all.

Glass Joe

Soulscribe said:
Okay now really how is
Shao Khan kicking my ass in story mode on beginner
. It's absolutely ridiculous. You can't just ABSORB ATTACKS

It's not that bad, you just have to play against him differently.

You're Liu Kang right? I was getting massacred at first because I'm a very aggressive/offensive type of player. Stay far away from him and duck. Use low fireballs if you have an opening / he's firing a projectile. When you're away, he will taunt A LOT. Only go in for a combo when he's taunting. X-ray finished with a bicycle kick works well too.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Teknoman said:
Just got back with the PS3 version, so if anyone out there can add TeknomanEX to the chat room...im ready when you are.
Please also add me on that psn chat . Psn ID TheTrinidad.

Ninhead

Aske said:

Let me see if I've got this right. So, you're returning the game and keeping the preorder code, saying that you didn't pay for the preorder code. Now, if you wouldn't have gotten the preorder code, would you have been ok with it? I doubt it. They aren't informal rewards. They are FORMAL rewards. If you buy a suit, and get a free pimp cane with purchase, you can't return the suit and keep the cane. Thats a scam, and if someone misses out on the cane (or in this case, the preorder code), they get screwed because you're ripping off GS. GS "hatred" aside, it just comes off as kinda a dick move.

naib

I thought the x-rays were irritating until I realized they give me just enough time to take a swill on my beer. Now it's like a drinking mini-game.

Can't find my mic, but add me as friend or psn gaf-chat.

PSN = naib

So much fun.

Nome

Ninhead said:
Let me see if I've got this right. So, you're returning the game and keeping the preorder code, saying that you didn't pay for the preorder code. Now, if you wouldn't have gotten the preorder code, would you have been ok with it? I doubt it. They aren't informal rewards. They are FORMAL rewards. If you buy a suit, and get a free pimp cane with purchase, you can't return the suit and keep the cane. Thats a scam, and if someone misses out on the cane (or in this case, the preorder code), they get screwed because you're ripping off GS. GS "hatred" aside, it just comes off as kinda a dick move.
It's only a scam if GS sells the games as new. There's people buying the PS3 version of Portal 2 on Amazon (gives you $20 credit) and redeeming the Steam code, then reselling the game back to Amazon ("losing" $20), thereby getting the PC version for free. Shit's shady, but that's just how the system(s) work.
Criminal Upper said:
Nah, he just plays REAL fighting games.

smh
Real fighting games have a long history of cheap bosses :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom