• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Criminal Upper said:
Nah, he just plays REAL fighting games.

smh

Ok, substitute 'real fighting games' for 'better fighting games'.

The problems with MK go beyond cheap bosses. Sluggish controls and stiff transitions make it less enjoyable than it otherwise could be, both in single-player AND multiplayer.

I'm sure it will make for some fun nights with friends, same as WWE All-Stars, but IMO it doesn't compete with SSF4 and VF5 as a multiplayer fighter.

And I didn't have as much trouble with the bosses of those games as I have with the bosses in these games, can't really say why...?

SSF4 should not even be in the same sentence as VF.

SSF4 is an awful game.

I too felt that MK9 is sluggish but once I played more, it feels natural and it feels fine. Of course it is early, but I think that MK will be a solid game.

The Antitype said:
Yep. Nothing screams quality like bosses that require cheesy tactics to win.

Awesome.

Also, who cares about the bosses. It comes down to versus mode which is what really matters and does it perform there. There are tons of fighting games where the CPU/Bosses are cheap and it should not matter with the gameplay itself.

Speaking from a competitive standpoint of course.

naib

Oh man. If KOTH actually starts to work right, it will kick ass.

Got a taste, but so laggy. I knew at the menu select I was gonna be frustrated.

Ilive1up

MK9 isn't really sluggish, it's actually quite frantic and quick.

Bosses are more puzzles than the normal fight with "insert non-boss name here."

You'll die a lot, but once you learn the weakness (goro going for ground smash) you'll be alright.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Antitype said:
The gameplay is not sluggish. The controls are.
You can dial a combo. Thats how mk has always been

Queue up combo
Profit

Also its like a single plane version of a 3d fighters. If you think of it like that its easier to swallow

JdFoX187

Banned
I am convinced Shao Kahn is impossible to beat in the story mode with Raiden. No way in hell. I had no problem with him as Liu Kang. But try spamming lightning balls and he just shoulder blocks his way across the screen worse than fucking Brian Urlacher. Try to jump over him and he swings his hammer like mother fucking Thor. And when you do actually land a combo, he no sells it worse than Hulk Hogan while standing there taunting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The stage with the MK logo being dropped in the lava is my favorite, I love the music on it. So many great stages here.

JdFoX187 said:
I am convinced Shao Kahn is impossible to beat in the story mode with Raiden. No way in hell. I had no problem with him as Liu Kang. But try spamming lightning balls and he just shoulder blocks his way across the screen worse than fucking Brian Urlacher. Try to jump over him and he swings his hammer like mother fucking Thor. And when you do actually land a combo, he no sells it worse than Hulk Hogan while standing there taunting.

Take it really slow and abuse the teleport. Teleport then forward back kick into his screen dive is all I used when I beat him.

RS4-

JdFoX187 said:

Just TP and uppercut/combo when he whiffs a fireball/hammer smash thing

JdFoX187 said:
damn, do you have it on a hard difficulty?? cause i left it on normal so i can see endings and i beat him around 3 or 4 tries.

SuperBonk

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
damn, do you have it on a hard difficulty?? cause i left it on normal so i can see endings and i beat him around 3 or 4 tries.
He's talking about the story mode, which is on "Medium" unless you go into the Options and change it. I don't know if it's because I'm not good with Raiden, but Shao Kahn definitely seemed harder in the story.

My strategy was to just keep my distance as it's easier to avoid his spears and hammer throw (which is insanely cheap). He also seems to taunt a lot more when you're further away. Then I just punished him with Raiden's glide move. Though it only does around 5% damage on him, it can beat most of his projectiles if you time it right. If he blocks the glide, he'll often follow with a shoulder charge which you can jump over and punish with a jumping punch and uppercut or combo of your choice. If he does the upward shoulder charge you're screwed though.

Getting the first hit of the match is key too, since it gives you a whole bar of meter. You have to be efficient with meter use as well (don't wait to unleash your X-ray, he rarely blocks it). And it probably doesn't need to be said, but try as hard as possible to avoid his X-ray since it does insane damage (another reason to keep your distance).

Kimosabae

Banned
Here's the definitive Story Mode Shao Kahn strat IMO:

Spam Low Fireball at a distance while continuing to buffer Bicycle Kick (the input for the fireball and BK being similar makes this easy). The Low Fire will keep you safe from Spears and stuff shoulder attempts. If you see a taunt - let a BK go. If he gives up the taunts and starts coming in close - let a BK go. He may block a BK every now and again, but on Normal the CPU doesn't seem to be consistent with punishes.

Once I caught onto this strat, Kahn barely touched me both rounds.

cabottemp

Banned
Kusagari said:
Is the online on 360 down? Me and my friend can't connect to each other.

i just asked and nobody's answered.

i've not been able to connect to a game onine all day.

additionally, i tried to go on to the official game's forums to ask around, and they make you enter the code that came with the game to let you on the forums. I entered my code, and no dice. Immediately thinking I entered it in wrong (hey, not outta the question, right?) I tried again, and still, no dice.

I can log in to the online, join a room, send challenges, but it immediately changes to "unavailable".

what. the. fuck.

Shaneus

I might have missed it, but has there been comparison of graphics b/w the two versions posted anywhere? Not trying to start any wars, just looking for a link or a bunch of words quoted.

Teknoman

Having trouble entering my Kombat pass. Everytime I go to redeem kombat pass, the game just says "failed to automatically add funds". PS3 version.

chogidogs

I always thought that dudes like Noob and Smoke were untouchable, just because they were so elusive. Playing this kinda ruined that for me. Just because they're regular dudes.

Kusagari

cabot said:
i just asked and nobody's answered.

i've not been able to connect to a game onine all day.

additionally, i tried to go on to the official game's forums to ask around, and they make you enter the code that came with the game to let you on the forums. I entered my code, and no dice. Immediately thinking I entered it in wrong (hey, not outta the question, right?) I tried again, and still, no dice.

I can log in to the online, join a room, send challenges, but it immediately changes to "unavailable".

what. the. fuck.

I don't know. Me and my friend can join play matches and lobbies but whenever we try to invite each other to a private match it's borked and doesn't work.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wow, finally beat him and cheese the living hell out of him. Teleport, uppercut; teleport, uppercut; teleport, uppercut. I felt bad beating it that way, but no matter how hard I tried to play him "legit," he kicked my ass and laughed. Oh well.

shuri

Banned
People complaining about how hard the bosses are.. Did you guys even ever try the old games? Goro was incredibly hard to beat in the arcades and Shao Khan in MK2 could destroy you without even giving you a chance to strike back.

JdFoX187

Banned
shuri said:
People complaining about how hard the bosses are.. Did you guys even ever try the old games? Goro was incredibly hard to beat in the arcades and Shao Khan in MK2 could destroy you without even giving you a chance to strike back.
My one comment is that those were designed to eat quarters. They wanted insanely difficult bosses in the arcades so that you'd keep pumping it full of quarters to finally triumph. There's no excuse for that here. I don't mind a hard boss, but one that has to be defeated by using exploits is a bit too tough.

SuperBonk said:
He's talking about the story mode, which is on "Medium" unless you go into the Options and change it. I don't know if it's because I'm not good with Raiden, but Shao Kahn definitely seemed harder in the story.
i played it at my friends house for a few hours so i dont remember what stuff is called.....story mode is where you fight the guys in a ladder right?? and you of course unlock the ending with the guy you use??

I'm just about to start the
Sub-Zero
chapter of story mode and all this Shao Kahn talk has me a bit worried. Can the difficulty level be cranked down mid-story?

Filth

Gary Whitta said:
I'm just about to start the
Sub-Zero
chapter of story mode and all this Shao Kahn talk has me a bit worried. Can the difficulty level be cranked down mid-story?

its nothing to be worried about youll lose the first 3 times. then youll say fuck it let me spam the hell out of him and win. then you wont go back to story mode youll just play ladder.

K.Sabot

Criminal Upper said:
Pushing buttons is such a pain.

There's a training mode you can use I suppose, it's on the main menu.
Don't be facetious, what annoys me is that most strings involve all of the buttons being hit before the first attack in the string even finishes. This limits the player's ability to confirm hits, which in turn limits most unique normals from ever being used.

Oh also one thing that's annoying about story mode - when you pick up from an auto-save you often have to sit through a LOT of unskippable cinematic to get to your first fight...

Gary Whitta said:
Oh also one thing that's annoying about story mode - when you pick up from an auto-save you often have to sit through a LOT of unskippable cinematic to get to your first fight...

Yea, so far I've tried to make sure I quit between fights without a lot of story.

Quitting at the beginning of a new chapter sucks.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I wasn't able to play on 360 tonight either. The game would not connect to any of the room lists.

Played on PS3 instead, and it continues to be semi-awful. I either get bad connections, rage-quitters, or both. And the game is still disconnecting when I rematch people. :/

Giving up on player and ranked matches for now, too-- the game just will not connect to anything. I hope the reason the 360 version was "down" tonight is because they're patching it.

Lyte Edge said:
I wasn't able to play on 360 tonight either. The game would not connect to any of the room lists.

Played on PS3 instead, and it continues to be semi-awful. I either get bad connections, rage-quitters, or both. And the game is still disconnecting when I rematch people. :/

Giving up on player and ranked matches for now, too-- the game just will not connect to anything. I hope the reason the 360 version was "down" tonight is because they're patching it.

You can still search for games on 360, even though it says the servers are down. Sometimes it takes a while though.

Still pretty disappointing after all the talk. Should have seen it coming though after playing MKDC. That game was worse than KoF online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom