• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Philooch said:
its nothing to be worried about youll lose the first 3 times. then youll say fuck it let me spam the hell out of him and win. then you wont go back to story mode youll just play ladder.

Pretty much what I did only I never beat him the first time and said fuck it and then went on to just play ladder matches. I have never given a shit about the "story" of this entire franchise so no loss for me.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So they make Sub Zero's ice ball a kick input instead of a punch input so the execution is similar to how it is in the old games, then change like every other move in the game completely? Makes no goddamn sense.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i played it at my friends house for a few hours so i dont remember what stuff is called.....story mode is where you fight the guys in a ladder right?? and you of course unlock the ending with the guy you use??

No, Story Mode is the thing with the, y'know, story. What you're talking about is Ladder Mode.

Criminal Upper said:
Pushing buttons is such a pain.

There's a training mode you can use I suppose, it's on the main menu.

I'm pretty sure he was saying he's GOOD at the dial-a-combo stuff. "Sick with", not "sick of".

Kids these days use "sick" to mean "awesome". Or something.

SOLDIER

Question: I heard you can create your own lobby room in the PS3 version. Do these rooms let you create private slots, and can you use voice chat in said rooms?

I'm wondering if this is the alternative to the lack of party voice chat on PS3.

My online experience on the 360 has been great, I have only searched for 1v1s and only 1 disconnect. Pretty much no lag. It does take a little to find a matchup but if you play halo/cod/gears you should be used to the wait.

Played story mode a bit, lot of fun. Gotta find time to play this while i'm playing Portal 2.

Cut scenes look like garbage though, which is very surprising to me. (PS3)

fernoca

Teknoman said:
Having trouble entering my Kombat pass. Everytime I go to redeem kombat pass, the game just says "failed to automatically add funds". PS3 version.
A little late, but if you're having problems in-game try doing it through Account Management, Redeem Code on the XMB.

This game is pretty fun :)

I just popped the game in about 15 minutes ago after some initial trouble, and I've never played an MK game before. I don't know anything about the combat system, and I didn't know how to play a single character. And that, I mean I don't even know how to shoot ice with sub-zero.

I picked Saibot because his trailer reminded me of Shadow Dio from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and first thing I did was go straight into training. I don't know if it's any good since I don't know the properties of any of his moves and I still haven't memorised his inputs for his specials and normals, but I already came up with a corner combo :-o

neutral jump HP, neutral jump HP, HP, forward + LK xx LK xx LK xx Shaddow Uppercut Kick, down + HK xx Shadow Slide Kick.

Does 30% and costs nothing :D

Anyone have general tips for making combos or combat in general?

fernoca

Yeah, just played a few matches online and no problems overall.
There was a really laggy King of the Hill match, but a person got disconnected at that moment and everything was normal again.

EDIT: Thought I was editing my other post, so sorry for posting twice. :p

Pneophen

Neo Member
2&2 said:
Can someone explain what "dial in inputs" means?

When doing chains, instead of timing your inputs to when your attacks hit or during a certain frame of animation, you can simply dial them out and the attacks will chain into one another.

Khezu

God's Beard said:
This game is pretty fun :)

I just popped the game in about 15 minutes ago after some initial trouble, and I've never played an MK game before. I don't know anything about the combat system, and I didn't know how to play a single character. And that, I mean I don't even know how to shoot ice with sub-zero.

I picked Saibot because his trailer reminded me of Shadow Dio from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and first thing I did was go straight into training. I don't know if it's any good since I don't know the properties of any of his moves and I still haven't memorised his inputs for his specials and normals, but I already came up with a corner combo :-o

neutral jump HP, neutral jump HP, HP, forward + LK xx LK xx LK xx Shaddow Uppercut Kick, down + HK xx Shadow Slide Kick.

Does 30% and costs nothing :D

Anyone have general tips for making combos or combat in general?

There is a guide up on TYM right now, gameplay mechanics, and a few character guides, including noob saibot.

Well if you're not the type of person to just jump into a character guide, I would still recommend the gameplay system guide since you never played a MK before, can be kinda strange at first.

Just got done a pretty lengthy KOTH session. It was awesome overall. Won 12 straight at one point. Now I'm 46 and 17 online overall and 43 and 6 with Kratos :). I won my twelve straight with him of course. I really like the respect points thing. Most people truly give you respect if you do well even if you beat them. I believe I accumulated 326 points. I like how they keep track of it that way. Man if they manage to solidify the servers this will truly be fighting game of the forever.

Fantasmo

Lost Fragment said:
So they make Sub Zero's ice ball a kick input instead of a punch input so the execution is similar to how it is in the old games, then change like every other move in the game completely? Makes no goddamn sense.
I was annoyed at first too, but mk9 is going to replace mk2 for me so it doesn't bother me anymore. I'll adapt.

I just really hope the online opponent picker gets better. I keep getting people from far away. I had 2 smooth matches tonight and I live in near NY. Frustrating!

Khezu said:
There is a guide up on TYM right now, gameplay mechanics, and a few character guides, including noob saibot.

Well if you're not the type of person to just jump into a character guide, I would still recommend the gameplay system guide since you never played a MK before, can be kinda strange at first.

Yeah, before I got the game I was thinking about looking up frame data, and now I don't... really think it'll help.

So far execution is the main thing I'm having problems with. I feel like I'm relearning how to use an arcade stick with this game, I really wish I had a hit box :-(

fernoca said:
Yeah, just played a few matches online and no problems overall.
There was a really laggy King of the Hill match, but a person got disconnected at that moment and everything was normal again.

EDIT: Thought I was editing my other post, so sorry for posting twice. :p

Yeah I just got out of a KOTH match and that seemed pretty laggy spectating, playing it there was some stuttering at times. This has only happened in the KOTH matches.

fernoca

Teknoman said:
Got it, gonna give it a shot.
Teknoman said:
Wtf, now I cant log into PSN. Thats strange...

Hmm, regarding this and people having problems with PSN:

PlayStation Blog said:
We’re aware certain functions of PlayStation Network are down. We will report back here as soon as we can with more information.
Thank you for your patience.

Riposte

-Pyromaniac- said:
I wish other fighting games had a story mode like this game, it's great.

tbh, the more complicated the Street Fighter story has become(like, look at Alpha and especially 4) the worst it has become. I have to agree though, as a more general rule.

Sblargh

Banned
Riposte said:
tbh, the more complicated the Street Fighter story has become(like, look at Alpha and especially 4) the worst it has become. I have to agree though, as a more general rule.

But this actually simplifies the story, because instead of 30 alternative universes where everyone wins, you have the actual tournment going on.
-
And people having trouble with Kintaro/Goro/Shao Khan. Just learn the pattern. Keep jumping over him and react; it is supposed to be a different fight.

Teknoman said:
Wtf, now I cant log into PSN. Thats strange...
IT HAS BEGUN!

3ixuF.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

Huh? Pretty sure ice ball in mk2 was with punch.

Having to memorize a different input for every single character just to do pit fatalities is dumb. :p

Dead

well not really...yet
God damn, Shao Kahn in story mode was a pain in the ass until I took advantage of Liu Kangs shaolin stance or whatever the hell its called

Teknoman

Dead said:
God damn, Shao Kahn in story mode was a pain in the ass until I took advantage of Liu Kangs shaolin stance or whatever the hell its called

Yeah Dragon Stance is awesome to catch people off guard. I like that he has a parry too. Gotta figure out a better use for the bike kick though.

Is there a good guide to read to learn the basics of this game if I've never played Mortal Kombat before? Right now I basically have one combo and I can't figure out why I would want to use anything else.

Using Noob Saibot, if it matters.

Thanks for the guide Khezu, it's really helpful :)

Improved my Saibot combo already :-O

jBP, jBP, BK, BP xx FP xx BP xx Upward Shadow Kick, BP xx FP xx Upward Shadow Kick

35%

Seems like the juggle system kicks in pretty fast, it's hard to keep people airborne after 4 or 5 hits, they start to fall really quick.

Still haven't touched another character yet except 30 seconds I spent with Smoke before the game froze.

Is anybody having a problem with certain finishing moves not showing in the moves list? I've already gone into fatality trainer and performed them but some still will not show.

Atruvius

This morning before going to school I managed to play one online ranked match. I didn't notice any lag. Gameplay felt as smooth as in offline modes. I was Scorpion and against Noob Saibot. I won!

Do you get anything for winning besides a good feeling? Koins for the krypt or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom