• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

SOLDIER said:
Question: I heard you can create your own lobby room in the PS3 version. Do these rooms let you create private slots, and can you use voice chat in said rooms?

I'm wondering if this is the alternative to the lack of party voice chat on PS3.

Can anyone confirm this? Depending on whether this can be done or not may finally determine what version Ill get.

Nyx

Finally had some time with the game last night (360), and it has surpassed my expectations.

The graphics are not top-notch but definitely good enough for a fighter, the stages are awesome, the sound effects are great, and the fighting-system seems to work well enough. (only played for 3 hours)

Also played online with 2 of my friends, lag-free, great fun.

Story mode also seemed to be cool, I had to laugh at Johnny Cage's remarks quite some times, it's so corny which makes it really cool, more fighters should do it like this imo.

Best game of the year so far for me, going to have loads of fun in the upcoming months.

fernoca

SOLDIER said:
Can anyone confirm this? Depending on whether this can be done or not may finally determine what version Ill get.
Can't verify at the moment since PSN is down.
But you can create a private King of the Hill match, were you and your friends play together, talk via voicechat, while some spectate waiting in line and watching the game/screen while 2 are fighting. I think the max is 8 people.

The other option I remember when creating matches were 1 vs 1 and tag, but those it's only a "waiting screen" and you're automatically sent to the character select screen when the person you invited joins.

You can also create lobbies, which have a text-chat window and notifications of who's winning/ losing in that lobby; but don't know if you can put passwords into them or create private slots. This lobbies allows for up to 100 people to join.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh shiiiit just had a really cool easter egg.

I saw Santa cover the moon in the background and just winged a cheapass double flawless with sindel(never played her before, just spammed forward back kick) and looked up her stage fatality to knock him into the pit. I fought Reptile in his classic costume, he used sub zero's ice ball, scorpion's spear, and had a fast as hell dash. Nice to see they have such awesome throwbacks in here.

fernoca

Papercuts said:

I saw Santa cover the moon in the background and just winged a cheapass double flawless with sindel(never played her before, just spammed forward back kick) and looked up her stage fatality to knock him into the pit. I fought Reptile in his classic costume, he used scorpion's ice ball, scorpion's spear, and had a fast as hell dash. Nice to see they have such awesome throwbacks in here.
Yep, really cool. ;)
I teased earlier with "Look to la luna" because of that. :p

And keep looking, there are more.

Papercuts said:

I saw Santa cover the moon in the background and just winged a cheapass double flawless with sindel(never played her before, just spammed forward back kick) and looked up her stage fatality to knock him into the pit. I fought Reptile in his classic costume, he used scorpion's ice ball, scorpion's spear, and had a fast as hell dash. Nice to see they have such awesome throwbacks in here.

That's great. I'm assuming this is in ladder mode?

Day 2, still in love with this game. Story mode still fun, though I'm at the
Cyber Subzero vs Goro and the cat version of Goro
and I quit mid-match coz I knew it wasn't gonna be pretty. I'm already terrible with Subzero let alone a bulkier, weirder version of him.

At this point my favorites to use are probably Jade, Syndel, Kitana, Sonya, and maybe Kabal or Stryker. Kung Lao's HILARIOUS to use but I can't figure what the fuck I'm doing. He's amped up major this time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
fernoca said:
Yep, really cool. ;)
I teased earlier with "Look to la luna" because of that. :p

And keep looking, there are more.

Hah, yeah...it gave me an achievement for finding hidden kombatant 3, so I thought so. Yay secrets. =D

Emperor Bohe said:
That's great. I'm assuming this is in ladder mode?

Yup.

fernoca

Kimosabae said:
how do you actually switch to alternate costumes?
Choose the character with:
Start
Costume 1
Costume 2
(MK1, MK3 if you have the retros)

If you want the alternate color, choose it by pressing Start again, if you want the regular color choose it with any button.

Kimosabae

Banned
fernoca said:
Start
Costume 1
Costume 2

If you want the alternate color, choose it by pressing Start again, if you want the regular color choose it with any button.

good man

fernoca

Kimosabae said:
Remember also you can press start while choosing a stage in Versus/Practice, to have it play the original/classic version of the song (from MK1 through 3). (You'll hear a laugh if the stage has a classic music). ;)

Sblargh

Banned
giancarlo123x said:
Holy crap the Krypt is frustrating as hell to navigate when looking for specific things, who designed the random order or some numbers?

My guide to the krypt.
Select the area, open a krypt, go back to map (triangle on the PS3), select the area again (it will automatically go to the first closed krypt), repeat until no koins are left.

Aske

fernoca said:
Choose the character with:
Start
Costume 1
Costume 2

Nice, you saved me having to ask. I've been trying to figure it since your earlier post! Hit start again. So simple. I'd never have thought of it.

Things that struck me about the game while playing tonight:

- Cloth physics are gorgeous.
- The masked girls look better with their veils on. Their faces are just slightly off without them. Actually I just mean Kitana and Jade, because Mileena looks perfect.
- Story mode just keeps getting better...I finished my session after wrapping up MK 2. So good. I will be replaying this frequently.
- Kitana is amazing. The blood spurts that fly out in ropes when you nail someone with a throwing fan are up there with those of Ninja Gaiden 2. NRS really excelled at the progressive damage, blood physics, burns, bone breaks...I can't think of anything they could have done better in terms of gore. It's the whole package.
- Sub-Zero's classic fatality is a thing of beauty. It gives me MK1 chills every time. I haven't seen his second fatality yet, but I hope it involves freezing and shattering someone in some way or another. SZ was never my main, but his fatalities definitely left the strongest impression on me in MK 1 and 2.

Tokubetsu

The one time I've gotten "toasty" and my headphones were up and I was listening to something else.

Wish I got the classic Sub Zero outfit. I want to see that fatality!

Nemesis_

Are we aware if anyone's got a copy of this in Australia yet?

Or is it more severe than the bans on Left 4 Dead 2 and Silent Hill Homecoming?

Irish

Man, fuck Shao Kahn. You know a boss is too difficult when you can't even cheese him properly. :/ (Yes, I know I suck.)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's astonishing how bad the network code is in this. Quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

I thought maybe the KOTH lobbies were causing it, having to monitor all the spectators and what they were doing so I tried some ranked matches.

Nope. Not the lobbies.

Irish said:
Man, fuck Shao Kahn. You know a boss is too difficult when you can't even cheese him properly. :/ (Yes, I know I suck.)

I don't think he is that bad compared (on medium at least, haven't tried hard or expert) to some of the bosses SNK bosses. You just got to watch out for his projectiles since they stun (so just jump or duck)... and his X-ray of course. I cheesed him pretty well with Jax's ground pound then backbreaker followup. :D

Irish

Leshita said:
I don't think he is that bad compared (on medium at least, haven't tried hard or expert) to some of the bosses SNK bosses. You just got to watch out for his projectiles since they stun (so just jump or duck)... and his X-ray of course. I cheesed him pretty well with Jax's ground pound then backbreaker followup. :D

I'm just talking about the main story mode and the battle between him and Raiden. I want to get this thing completed, but I just can't seem to find a tactic that works consistently on him.

Nyx

Sinatar said:
It's astonishing how bad the network code is in this. Quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

I thought maybe the KOTH lobbies were causing it, having to monitor all the spectators and what they were doing so I tried some ranked matches.

Nope. Not the lobbies.

PS3 or 360 ?

As I played online without any lag last night on the 360.

weepy

Kimosabae said:
Just reached Chapter 4 in Story Mode:

I may be jumping the gun here, but... as far as I can tell, Cyrax might be the first likeable black character in videogame history for me.

Late as hell but I had to reply: The first likeable black character in videogame history? That a very egregious statement if I ever saw one. Even if you mean for fighters only, I could think of at least three other black characters that are just as likeable if not more so. Also if you remembered in the story
Cyrax practically had a Nigga-moment with Scorpion right before the match started, lol.

Nyx

Sinatar said:

I just read that there's no possibility to search for opponents in your area, maybe that's causing the lag for you ?

Hopefully NRS will implement this in a patch or something.

When playing my friends there was zero lag yesterday, it played exactly the same as in singleplayer.

Vormund

Nemesis556 said:
Are we aware if anyone's got a copy of this in Australia yet?

Or is it more severe than the bans on Left 4 Dead 2 and Silent Hill Homecoming?

A couple of people at TRMK have got theirs.

Since mine didn't arrive today, (it shipped on the 19th) I'll be expecting it probably right after the long weekend.

Irish said:
I'm just talking about the main story mode and the battle between him and Raiden. I want to get this thing completed, but I just can't seem to find a tactic that works consistently on him.

Ah, gotcha, haven't got that far yet.
I hope I can beat him without breaking my controller in frustration when I get there. :p

derFeef

I switched to easy to be able to beat Goro, but then I found out a cheap tactic to own him, and I felt bad for switching the difficulty afterwards.

"I just read that there's no possibility to search for opponents in your area, maybe that's causing the lag for you ? "

No, the netcode is just bad all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom