• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atruvius

Seraphis Cain said:
I would pay SO MUCH for a VS CPU mode. Seriously. Not even kidding.

DO YOU HEAR ME, BOON?

What!? There isn't VS CPU mode? I just thought it was buried under some menus. This game really needs it.

Nyx

Teknopathetic said:
"I just read that there's no possibility to search for opponents in your area, maybe that's causing the lag for you ? "

No, the netcode is just bad all around.

Hmm that sucks, guess I'll be playing friends only then as we had no issues at all.

giancarlo123x said:
Holy crap the Krypt is frustrating as hell to navigate when looking for specific things, who designed the random order or some numbers?
I had the problem until I realized that selecting map and selecting location will send you to the first available unlockable. Helped me when I had 1 Krypt left in one of the locations.

Glass Joe

I'm at the last battle of story mode
Raiden vs Shao Kahn and holy shit is this frustrating. I failed a good 25 times probably and still can't get it. I can win a round here and there but not a battle. Gotta walk away for now. Kinda wish I had a PS3 because I think their pad would be better for this character... I'm having a lot of trouble uppercutting right after my teleport with both the analog stick and the d-pad. It seems to think I'm hitting slightly left or right, triggering a worthless (in the situation) special move. It might be my old ass controller, but I got all the way to this point with no problems. Grr. Maybe I need a new pad. Or just a break. Stupid hard.

Great game though.

Prodigal

Banned
Glass Joe said:
Raiden vs Shao Kahn and holy shit is this frustrating. I failed a good 25 times probably and still can't get it. I can win a round here and there but not a battle. Gotta walk away for now. Kinda wish I had a PS3 because I think their pad would be better for this character... I'm having a lot of trouble uppercutting right after my teleport with both the analog stick and the d-pad. It seems to think I'm hitting slightly left or right, triggering a worthless (in the situation) special move. It might be my old ass controller, but I got all the way to this point with no problems. Grr. Maybe I need a new pad. Or just a break. Stupid hard.

Great game though.

Did you try changing the difficulty?

And yeah it'd be great to have a VS CPU mode.

Glass Joe said:

Great game though.
Jump over. Uppercut. Repeat.

Teleport doesn't help. Good luck!

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
The one time I've gotten "toasty" and my headphones were up and I was listening to something else.

Wish I got the classic Sub Zero outfit. I want to see that fatality!

And this is why you fail. Listening to something else while playing MK!

MightyKAC

Wow. All's I got to say is those last 2 ladder challenges are some high class, A grade, unadulterated BULL SHIT.

You need a high tolerance for frustration and be a moderate sadomasochist to even THINK about taking them on. D:

Snaku

Banned
Glass Joe said:

Great game though.

Lightning bolt until he throws a spear/hammer, teleport behind him while he's doing it and torpedo him. Rinse, repeat, and improvise as necessary.

shagg_187 said:
Oh man! That fight was hard but when I saw this happening, I laughed out so hard. Helped me regain my senses lol!
I don't even have the game and I just laughed at it for like 2 minutes. It's amazing.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game, but I wish it had a darker, more serious tone. I thought they were going back to that, but it has more of a Saturday morning cartoon feel to it (except for the gore, of course).

Also, I think I don't like the X-ray moves. They are slightly amusing the first time you see one, but they get old real fast. And I kinda hate how they give a losing opponent a chance to win just by hitting two buttons.

That said, it's a great game so far. I'm happy I bought it.

Glass Joe

shagg_187 said:
Nope. Gotta disagree (nicely). Try jumping over and uppercutting. 90% of the time, he will miss the hit.

Yeah you make that sound easier than it is though. I can get him in the pattern... sometimes briefly, sometimes for a long period... OCCASIONALLY enough to win a round. But eventually he pulls out the dragon hammer punch thing and stops it. I guess I'll keep grinding it, but not having the success rate you did. I'd say he hits me plenty.

Prodigal

Banned
ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm having a lot of fun with this game, but I wish it had a darker, more serious tone. I thought they were going back to that, but it has more of a Saturday morning cartoon feel to it (except for the gore, of course).

Also, I think I don't like the X-ray moves. They are slightly amusing the first time you see one, but they get old real fast. And I kinda hate how they give a losing opponent a chance to win just by hitting two buttons.

That said, it's a great game so far. I'm happy I bought it.

I definitely agree with your tone comment, but that's probably a tough aspect of a game to recreate. I think one of the main reasons the earlier games felt darker was because we didn't know much about the characters; the story wasn't fleshed out very much, the dialog was sparse, and you couldn't really "connect" with any of the characters. As a result, you have a very wide disconnect between the player and the atmosphere or the fighters you're controlling. When you have something like a 7 hour story mode with full voice work there are many more places to have a misstep and have the feel of the game feel a little too familiar. The less you know about the characters, the smaller the chance that you'll understand or feel empathy for anything going on. I dunno, that's just my take at least. It's also definitely harder to make things more "br00tal" when you're switching from real human models fighting to a rendering engine.

Chairhome

Played Tag ladder with my brother locally. Its awesome. Recommend this route for anyone wanting to get endings if you have someone over.

Tesseract

Banned
will nrs patch their lackluster netcode?

1v1 is kinda decent to pretty good if the conditions are perfect, but king of the hell is an absolute abortion. did they stress test this stuff?

Untracked

Played this for an hour last night.
First thing I did was try the Tutorials, but I kept failing the fight where you're Sonya against Cyrax. I must have been missing something blatantly obvious (I was very tired) but as soon as I got Cyrax's health bar to zero Sonya would drop dead and "FAILURE" appeared on screen. The text at the beginning of the fight said "Remember your Training, let's see how you do in a real fight". Nothing about any special requirements or anything to pass (not that I saw anyway). After about 10 retries and thinking "OMG I can't even do the fucking tutorial", I gave up and started Story Mode, which I'm loving. Got to Chapter 3 with no problems.
So yeah, very strange first experience with this game but like I said, it was probably down to me not paying attention, being half asleep and missing something obvious.
Enjoying it though.

kiryogi

Banned
Untracked said:
Played this for an hour last night.
First thing I did was try the Tutorials, but I kept failing the fight where you're Sonya against Cyrax. I must have been missing something blatantly obvious (I was very tired) but as soon as I got Cyrax's health bar to zero Sonya would drop dead and "FAILURE" appeared on screen. The text at the beginning of the fight said "Remember your Training, let's see how you do in a real fight". Nothing about any special requirements or anything to pass (not that I saw anyway). After about 10 retries and thinking "OMG I can't even do the fucking tutorial", I gave up and started Story Mode, which I'm loving. Got to Chapter 3 with no problems.
So yeah, very strange first experience with this game but like I said, it was probably down to me not paying attention, being half asleep and missing something obvious.
Enjoying it though.

There should have been objectives you had to met in the lower right. Like doing a 4hit combo etc.

Untracked

kiryogi said:
There should have been objectives you had to met in the lower right. Like doing a 4hit combo etc.
Ha, I knew I was missing something.
Doh!

I'll try to be a bit more awake next time I play!

Glass Joe

Snaku said:
Lightning bolt until he throws a spear/hammer, teleport behind him while he's doing it and torpedo him. Rinse, repeat, and improvise as necessary.

Well I pussed out and put the story to "beginner mode" (it was on "medium" and was smooth sailing until this last battle). I read somewhere that doing so wouldn't affect a game in progress, but I got him on my 3rd try this time. So either I got lucky or the AI is dumbed down a bit (hit %'s are the same). He started taunting at a distance instead of hammering me to death. No pride lost though. That was the most uncalled for difficulty spike EVER. Even by Mortal Kombat standards.

Interfectum

beat the story last night... this game is now my favorite fighting game topping even the mighty Killer Instinct.

such a fun, cheesy, blood filled experience. fantastic game.

alstein

Tesseract said:

1v1 is kinda decent to pretty good if the conditions are perfect, but king of the hell is an absolute abortion. did they stress test this stuff?

That's my impression of the netcode. Just avoid KOTH. It's not AS bad as people are saying, but it's not good either. I'd say it's Marvel quality.

I think NRS will patch it up some, but I'm not expecting miracles. The only game to miracle improve its netcode was Tekken.

Prodigal

Banned
Glass Joe said:
Well I pussed out and put the story to "beginner mode" (it was on "medium" and was smooth sailing until this last battle). I read somewhere that doing so wouldn't affect a game in progress, but I got him on my 3rd try this time. So either I got lucky or the AI is dumbed down a bit (hit %'s are the same). He started taunting at a distance instead of hammering me to death. No pride lost though. That was the most uncalled for difficulty spike EVER. Even by Mortal Kombat standards.

I wonder if that's true about the difficulty not changing for in progress games...I certainly didn't notice a difference.

Aske

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Holy shit at the DLC prices on ebay. Subzero costumes are going for $35 bucks. Now I'm tempted to sell my Ermac and Subzero DLC.

I'm not the least bit surprised this is happening. This stuff was far too good to be a pre-order bonus, especially since fans have no idea if or when it'll be made available by other means. Some people don't want to wait for an announcement to get an extra costume and fatality for three of the most popular characters in the game.

I hope publishers take note at how much ill-will and profiteering this has caused amongst consumers.

ShinAmano

Gowans007 said:
what config should I be using on a six face button and two trigger street fighter fighting pad?
I didn't change from the default and it seems to work ok...I was thinking about changing so that Block was the LT and the LT moves to where block was so that xray moves would be hard punch and kick in the SF layout.

Struct09

Tesseract said:

I was actually having really good performance with KotH on XBL last night. The only major problem I have with online right now is that it seems really hard to get a ranked match.

.la1n

Christopher said:
I got Sub-Zero and I was hoping to just get Reptile and Scorpion on ebay for like 2 bucks, but man 35...geeze.

I have Sub-Zero and Jade but would part with Jade easily for Reptile.

AEREC

giancarlo123x said:
Holy crap the Krypt is frustrating as hell to navigate when looking for specific things, who designed the random order or some numbers?

I guess they did that so that using a guide would be a pain in the ass...after all it kinda defeats the purpose to look everything up.

AEREC

Does anyone want the female version of scorpions 360 avatar outfit? It wouldnt let me redeem the code since my avy is a male.

Ill just PM the first person to quote this post.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Minamu said:
Well, finally got my copy of the game. BUT, PSN is down so I can't download 1.01 so I can't boot up the game. Awesome!
damn psn is still broken??? It was broken when I went to bed last night too.

However, even though I could not log in the patch still downloaded.

Hi,
Due to emergency maintenance all PlayStation®Network and Qriocity services including stores, account management, external auths and CST are currently unavailable since approx 5am GMT this morning.
We don’t yet have an estimated time as to when services will be restored but will provide further updates when they are available.”

Someone posted this in a blog comment. Not sure how legit it is but psn is surely still down.

Been playing story mode, I like it but damn the 1 v 2 fights, the cpu always teleport or do something the instant you start a move s you can't block, it's one of those A.I things in games :( I can see why some reviewers knocked down the score because of it, they can be really challenging.

I'm starting to see that some players and moves seem unbalanced now also, the game pace is so fast especially for a block button game, any kind of instant teleport which results in an attack coming out of it imo is classed as broken, sektor's floor teleport is so quick you can surprise and punish nearly anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom