• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
infinityBCRT said:
The first patch was 30MB. That in it self makes me think there was some secret content that they pushed in there that we don't know about. I don't think Executables are usually that big.

I also think DLC could contain secret stuff as well.

I dunno, that seems like the average size for "hotfix" patches these days. Dynasty Warriors 7 also had a day one patch that was about 30MB, and it only fixed a couple of bugs.

Finished Story mode last night, went through some of the Challenge Tower and did ladder with
Cyber Sub-Zero

Story had a lot of "wtf" moments for me in who did what, why and how.
I hope Sindel ripping out Jade's... liver? stomach? kidney? doesn't mean she's dead for the next game. It certainly seems like damn near everyone is dead though, after all of this.

Challenge Tower is fun. I was expecting just "beat this tag" or "do this match without blocking" or other such things, but they're genuinely fun little tasks. It kind of reminds me of the challenge mode from KoFMI2.

Cyber Sub-Zero
is a beast, I love using him. I think maybe for story purposes they probably should have left him with his original code name of
Tundra
, but I can see why it is what it is.

Unicorn said:
I really hope so. NRS better know that I will buy up almost all the DLC. (If Quan Chi was DLC, he'd be left in the dust though).

I don't have a job, but I'm going to find a way to get the DLC. I've gone to the plasma center before for money. Will again, if I have to lol.

I'm sure people will dig into every update like they did with the demo. I expect no surprises with the internet around.

I don't know. They didn't do any encryption on the game data at all. By default I think title updates have encryption plus if they want to put some protection against hacking the game they can add an additional layer of encryption on that.

jondy1703

Neo Member
Chairhome said:
Random nostalgia: does anyone remember this site?
Http://mk.rat.org

For all my MK3 needs back in the day. Memories.

Hahaha, I like in the "Stop the Rumors!" section

mk.rat.org said:
THERE ARE NO NUDEALITIES, BRUTALITIES, SUICIDEALITIES, MOVIEALITIES, SEXUALITIES, CRAPALITIES, REALITIES, or any other such bs finishing moves. This includes all arcade and home versions in the Mortal Kombat series.

notworksafe

infinityBCRT said:
also... Twitter is the best way to reach NRS. They've responded to me many times.

@noobde
@hecterrific
@ninjaboy66
@mk_mortalkombat
@flarkminator (hes also on GAF under the same name)

There are probably plenty of other NRS guys on twitter. I also wouldn't be shocked if Boon is on GAF as well reading stuff.
I sent them some stuff asking about not being able to see 2nd fatality inputs (as second player) in offline versus. Hopefully it leads to a fix soon.

Bleepey said:
What does Smoke's Shake move do?
Counters projectiles.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
FallingEdge said:
It isn't even DLC! I was caught off guard cause I didn't hear a thing about Nightwolf DLC. Instead, he is selling off how to get the alternate costume in game via the crypt.

Hope no one is dumb enough to fall for that (which means someone will fall for it).
I posted about it on the last page. He's made at least $50 so far. It looks like he did edit the item description a bit to make it less misleading, though.

panda21

i thought the ps3 version had a mandatory intall? I'm a weird guy who actually prefers that so it isn't constantly streaming from the BD drive. but i just put it in and all it did was download an update and then go straight into the game.

panda21 said:
i thought the ps3 version had a mandatory intall? I'm a weird guy who actually prefers that so it isn't constantly streaming from the BD drive. but i just put it in and all it did was download an update and then go straight into the game.
installs as you play, though i think the game really should let you know that itself.

Struct09

panda21 said:

It installs the game in the background while you play. This game is a technological miracle.

notworksafe

_dementia said:
If you have less than 1.5 GB of storage what happens?
Might get an error. I'd recommend clearing out game install data from old games that you don't play anymore.

_dementia said:
In the interest of full disclosure, I never played the PS2/Xbox MK games.
Probably for the best.

Xater

Struct09 said:
It installs the game in the background while you play. This game is a technological miracle.

Wow that's really cool. Netherrealms really went all out on all fronts with this game.

Xater

The Lamonster said:
Just need to get the online lag thing fixed and we have a near-perfect game.

Yeah probably. Can't judge that because I am still waiting for the my game. I hope it's not that bad if you play with people close by.

notworksafe

_dementia said:
I'm still interested in trying out Shaolin Monks though.
Good call. It was best MK game since UMK3 at the time. Stay away from the 3D fighters though. Parts of the Challenge Tower take from the story of MKSM.

Finally beat Shao Kahn last night, must have taken me 30+ attempts; I was up until 1:30. What a cheap bitch! I finally beat him with a slightly modified version of the tactic mentioned earlier; just keep your distance and spam bicycle kick whenever he taunts. In fact you can just spam it; it seems to connect more than 50% of the time anyway. It seems to be the only attack that's reasonably reliable against him. Once the kick is done, jump away and repeat. The only change I made is to not bother with spamming low fireball as I found the bicycle kick command to be strangely fiddly to pull off so I just wanted to concentrate on that. Once I had that routine down he was relatively easy to beat.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gary Whitta said:
Finally beat Shao Kahn last night, must have taken me 30+ attempts; I was up until 1:30. What a cheap bitch! I finally beat him with a slightly modified version of the tactic mentioned earlier; just keep your distance and spam bicycle kick whenever he taunts. In fact you just just spam it; it seems to connect more than 50% of the time anyway. It seems to be the only attack that's reasonably reliable against him. Once the kick is done, jump away and repeat. The only change I made is to not bother with spamming low fireball as I found the bicycle kick command to be strangely fiddly to pull off so I just wanted to concentrate on that. Once I had that routine down he was relatively easy to beat.

Yep, this was the exact tactic I used as well. Tried the fireball tactic mentioned earlier in this thread and got nowhere. Just started spamming Bicycle Kicks out of frustration and a few tries later it worked.

I think it helps that the Bicycle Kick does great block damage as well.

Bleepey said:
What does Smoke's Shake move do?

Pretty awesome actually. If you get hit by a projectile while employing it you will pull a Sheeva and teleport from the top of the screen onto your opponent. Of course you are vulnerable to traditional attacks while pulling it off, so you need to get the timing down.

LowParry

Gary Whitta said:
Finally beat Shao Kahn last night, must have taken me 30+ attempts; I was up until 1:30. What a cheap bitch! I finally beat him with a slightly modified version of the tactic mentioned earlier; just keep your distance and spam bicycle kick whenever he taunts. In fact you just just spam it; it seems to connect more than 50% of the time anyway. It seems to be the only attack that's reasonably reliable against him. Once the kick is done, jump away and repeat. The only change I made is to not bother with spamming low fireball as I found the bicycle kick command to be strangely fiddly to pull off so I just wanted to concentrate on that. Once I had that routine down he was relatively easy to beat.

Oh man, if you think this is bad.............

Chairhome

Xater said:
Wow that's really cool. Netherrealms really went all out on all fronts with this game.
On top of this, I heard they have some method that allows them to rebalance the game without patches. Crazy

Gowans

Wow I am really enjoying the story far beyond what I would ever have thought.

Getting to grips with the characters pretty well too on the default difficulty.

I'm Liu Kang vs Scorpion & Quian Chi at the mo, time for a break for my fingers, I'm loosing.

notworksafe

Chairhome said:
On top of this, I heard they have some method that allows them to rebalance the game without patches. Crazy
Yeah I read that on SRK. Cool stuff.

Q: What systems have been implimented to avoid infinites and exploits?

Paulo: Moves have different startup and recovery, and varried properties. All of these are stored in a database that can be changed on the fly, so infinites can be fixed very quickly, and rebalancing can be based on any future problems that appear. We also have damage scaling, and gravity scaling to stop you from being kept in the air.
http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal...ed-around-fairness-roundtable-interview-4240/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gowans007 said:
Wow I am really enjoying the story far beyond what I would ever have thought.

Getting to grips with the characters pretty well too on the default difficulty.

I'm Liu Kang vs Scorpion & Quian Chi at the mo, time for a break for my fingers, I'm loosing.

Man, fuck that match. Really, just fuck Quan Chi. Goddamn teleport stomp. Once more people unlock him and figure him out, he's going to dominate online.

Though, as far as the tag matches in Story Mode go, they DO get much worse than Scorp/Quan. Much worse...

bitoriginal

Oh man, watching justin.tv and i'm slightly regretting my portal 2 purchase... whats everyones impressions of this compared to something like MVC3? I played MVC3 for about 2 weeks and got fed up with it.

Gowans

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, fuck that match. Really, just fuck Quan Chi. Goddamn teleport stomp. Once more people unlock him and figure him out, he's going to dominate online.

Though, as far as the tag matches in Story Mode go, they DO get much worse than Scorp/Quan. Much worse...
It's teaching me to block, LOTS!

I'm hoping a rest all I need and come back with some focus and blast it.

Really enjoying Liu Kang, love that powered up bicycle kick.

bitoriginal said:
Oh man, watching justin.tv and i'm slightly regretting my portal 2 purchase... whats everyones impressions of this compared to something like MVC3? I played MVC3 for about 2 weeks and got fed up with it.

I'd say I'm below average on Super Street Fighter 4 and MvC3 but I enjoy them enough and get to grips with all the basics.

But I am enjoying this so much more, easy to get into and they have made it as easy and smooth as possible to learn in the game. Also the story is a huge hook and really gets you wanting to progress.

bitoriginal said:
What didn't you like about MvC3? If it's poor online netcode, then you'll experience more of the same here. If you major beef was lack of single player content though, MK9 is way better in that regard.

notworksafe

bitoriginal said:
Eh, it's just a fighting game. It's a fighting game with a very good story mode, but it's still just a fighting game. If you enjoy fighting games, you'll love it. If not, you'll get bored after story mode most likely.

CcrooK said:
Oh man, if you think this is bad.............
Oh God, don't tell me...

Will get into Stryker's chapter tonight, interested to learn his moves as his fatality is so awesome I really want to make him my main :p

bitoriginal

_dementia said:
What didn't you like about MvC3? If it's poor online netcode, then you'll experience more of the same here. If you major beef was lack of single player content though, MK9 is way better in that regard.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Got sick and tired of trying to connect to games and failing in MVC3, and the story mode was non-existant. Hated the spammers too but thats a given in fighting games I think. Does MK have a single storyline or a story for each char?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are the classic costumes supposed to be for pre-orders only?

All of the copies I saw at Best Buy B&M on Tuesday all had little stickers on them that said that they included the Sub-Zero Classic Costume in the case. Are other retailers doing the same?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
bitoriginal said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Got sick and tired of trying to connect to games and failing in MVC3, and the story mode was non-existant. Hated the spammers too but thats a given in fighting games I think. Does MK have a single storyline or a story for each char?

Both, really. Though the individual character stories are really just endings you get when you finish Ladder mode. Still, better than nothing.

notworksafe

Gary Whitta said:
Oh God, don't tell me...

Will get into Stryker's chapter tonight, interested to learn his moves as his fatality is so awesome I really want to make him my main :p
You going to be playing on TNT tonight? Get Stryker tips from Jeff!

For the record, I've hardly blocked at all in story mode. I feel like I'm developing bad habits there... need to get into the habit of blocking more if I'm going to survive against live opponents...

DON'T FORGET MORTAL KOMBAT TNT ON GIANT BOMB TONIGHT!

bitoriginal said:
Both. It's a single storyline but broken down into character-specific chapters.

notworksafe

Yeah, blocking is key. Remember though, don't hold block and crouch. That makes you vulnerable to throws.

Best neutral position feels like crouched without blocking. That way you can avoid throws and still can tap block as hits come in at you.

Also don't always save your meter for X-Rays. A few well placed EX moves or a combo breaker can be worlds more helpful than an X-Ray (especially if you whiff it).

notworksafe said:
Yeah, blocking is key. Remember though, don't hold block and crouch. That makes you vulnerable to throws.

Best neutral position feels like crouched without blocking. That way you can avoid throws and still can tap block as hits come in at you.
Blocking doesn't feel very "tappable" when it's assigned to a spring trigger though, maybe that's my problem. Maybe I can find another button for it; LB?

notworksafe

Gary Whitta said:
Blocking doesn't feel very "tappable" when it's assigned to a spring trigger though, maybe that's my problem. Maybe I can find another button for it; LB?
Oh, yeah I'm used to playing with the arcade stick so it's on the ring finger button. LB/RB might be the best spot on the controller. You want it somewhere you can tap it quickly when needed but not be constantly holding on to it.

If you're used to using X+A for throws, you might want to put it on RB to keep all your buttons on one side of the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom