• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
notworksafe said:
Oh, yeah I'm used to playing with the arcade stick so it's on the ring finger button. LB/RB might be the best spot on the controller. You want it somewhere you can tap it quickly when needed but not be constantly holding on to it.
RB is my throw which is a go-to move for me. I don't think LB is used for anything though, I might try that in a custom config.

notworksafe said:
If you're used to using X+A for throws, you might want to put it on RB to keep all your buttons on one side of the controller.
That's a good idea too.

Xater

Gary Whitta said:
Blocking doesn't feel very "tappable" when it's assigned to a spring trigger though, maybe that's my problem. Maybe I can find another button for it; LB?

Is LB normally tag? Then I think that's where I also put block when I played the demo. Of cours eon the PS3it would be L1 but it's all the same...

Didn't like it on the triggers and I don#t think I'll play much tag team anyway.

bitoriginal said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Got sick and tired of trying to connect to games and failing in MVC3, and the story mode was non-existant. Hated the spammers too but thats a given in fighting games I think. Does MK have a single storyline or a story for each char?

Others have answered but have sort of undersold it. It has the traditional ladder style game with a unique closing story segment for each character. It then also has a full on story mode, where you swap playable characters throughout and where cut scenes seamlessly transition to fights and back.

There's also a full on challenge mode similar to the one from Soul Calibur where you have to win under certain game conditions.

malfcn

I found a good combo that worked for me to finish story mode.

D, U --> FK, FK, BK, B, F BK. (Teleport, kick kick kick, Superman)

After I found that it made Shao a lot easier.

Mk9 is a brilliant offline game especially if you have friends, I sold MvC3 after about 2 weeks also and while the mk9 online makes it easy to find someone there is some real bad lag which will completely break your combos and timing, thus it's not really that much better right now.

My experience with online lag so far is that someone with 1 or 2 green dots is still unplayable, someone about 50 miles away from me the lag is near perfect and invisible so they need to live really close.

I'm amazed that any fighting games ever really work that well online given that the twitch reaction time needed would seem to make it the most unforgiving style of game for any kind of lag.

Kimosabae

Banned
What was Kahn doing to beat your fireball spam? I would only use it from fullscreen, and there was really nothing he could do about it, from what I could tell. I'd start using bicycle kick once he got about midscreen and keep with the keepaway.

Kimosabae said:
What was Kahn doing to beat your fireball spam? I would only use it from fullscreen, and there was really nothing he could do about it, from what I could tell. I'd start using bicycle kick once he got about midscreen and keep with the keepaway.
It's not that it wasn't effective, it's just that I found the bicycle kick command tricky to pull off (maybe because I'm a noob) so rather than try to move back and forth between two (albeit similar) commands I just focused on one.

notworksafe

Neuromancer said:
OK thanks, I think I remember the Giant Bomb guys complaining about him for one reason or another and I didn't know who that was.
He's a lame part of the story, so that's reason enough to complain. He's fun a play as though, and has the best fatality in the series.

Gary Whitta said:
Question for 360 players: if a format-exclusive character was to be released as the PS3's Kratos equivalent, who would you want?
Someone from Killer Instinct. Spinal or Fulgore probably.

Or Blinx the Time Sweeper.

EDIT: In all honesty, I'd prefer a new mode like the rumored return of Puzzle Kombat that never happened.

So which is the definitive version. Played 360 last night and felt the road is more horrible than usual, how does it feel with the ds3? Graphics wise are they identical, get kratos on ps3, any exlusives on 360?

notworksafe

I should clarify...

Quan Chi was a lame part of the story when he was inserted in MK4 and on and suddenly made a part of the previous games stories out of nowhere. Felt very forced and annoyed my 15 year old self.

In MK9 he's been integrated in a much better way and I like him much more. (Kung Lao's story mode chapter spoiler)
Plus the reference to "this Deadly Alliance" when you play against him and Shang Tsung made me laugh

Broadbandito said:
So which is the definitive version. Played 360 last night and felt the road is more horrible than usual, how does it feel with the ds3? Graphics wise are they identical, get kratos on ps3, any exlusives on 360?
Nothing exclusive on 360, and IMO does feel better with the DS3. But 360 version has Live and achievements, which are a big bonus for some.

malfcn said:
I found a good combo that worked for me to finish story mode.

D, U --> FK, FK, BK, B, F BK. (Teleport, kick kick kick, Superman)

After I found that it made Shao a lot easier.
I just teleported everytime he tried to attack me and uppercutted his ass from behind. Teleport -> walk towards him, dodge his attack by teleporting, uppercut, walk towards, repeat..

But yeah, I'm sure it's been said before but Shao Kahn is a terrible boss in this game. Azazel's autoblock in Tekken 6 was a horrible idea and Netherrealm somehow thought it was a good one. Really though, it's the only blemish I can think of in this fantastic game. I have literally no other complaints other than "Shao Kahn is an awful piece of shit boss that nearly requires cheap tactics to win". Horrible.

RZI

Gary Whitta said:
Question for 360 players: if a format-exclusive character was to be released as the PS3's Kratos equivalent, who would you want?

Someone said J.Allard in the bombcast and I thought that was a pretty good idea. :D

Gary Whitta said:
I rather have no one. Kratos is so fucking nerfed that he is pretty much useless. No quick attacks, no chained combos, nothing. Just a waste of time and space, really. It's all fanboy bullshit.

I'm amazed by how many people forget how the previous games actually were received...

Metascores:

Mortal Kombat - 86
Mortal Kombat vs DC - 76
Mortal Kombat Armageddon - 71
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - 77
Mortal Kombat Deception - 81
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - 79

So yeah, the previous games weren't complete ass. So people on podcasts, please stop pulling it outta your ass that they sucked when you probably didn't play those games.

edit: The other thing I'd like to say is that as an MK fan, I'm not just like "look at the blood and gore! cool shit!". Seems like theres a perception out there that thats the big draw to the series. It may have been back in 1992, but after playing the game for hours on end theres got to be more than that for me to stick around.

malfcn

Am I the only one with terrible online problems? I either get stuck on screens, matches don't load, the session is no longer available or desychronizes.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm amazed by how many people forget how the previous games actually were received...

Metascores:

Mortal Kombat - 86
Mortal Kombat vs DC - 76

So yeah, the previous games weren't complete ass. So people on podcasts, please stop pulling it outta your ass that they sucked when you probably didn't play those games.

Yes they were. Just because they were "well received" via reviews does not mean they were good games. Awkward mechanics, brain dead infinites, ganky controls, and so on. Again, speaking from a competitive stand point, there is a reason why no one plays MK past UMK3.

Lingitiz

Gary Whitta said:
General RAAM or Scorge from Gears would fit in pretty nicely. Arbiter wouldn't be bad either.

FallingEdge said:
Yes they were. Just because they were "well received" via reviews does not mean they were good games. Awkward mechanics, brain dead infinites, ganky controls, and so on. Again, speaking from a competitive stand point, there is a reason why no one plays MK past UMK3.
I'm not talking about high level play, and the people making these comments aren't high level players either. Deception and MK vs DC had good single player content too. And Shaolin Monks... cmon, its SHAOLIN FN MONKS!!

Also on awkward mechanics--- if those games were awkward then I guess you may think MK9 is too because its not too dissimilar.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm not talking about high level play, and the people making these comments aren't high level players either. Deception and MK vs DC had good single player content too. And Shaolin Monks... cmon, its SHAOLIN FN MONKS!!

Also on awkward mechanics--- if those games were awkward then I guess you think MK9 is too because its not too dissimilar.

Totally skimmed over that one. Shaolin Monks is indeed fantastic.

I felt that MK9 was awkward but the more I played it, the better it feels. It still feels a lot better than the other games. More refined and whatnot.

shagg_187 said:
I rather have no one. Kratos is so fucking nerfed that he is pretty much useless. No quick attacks, no chained combos, nothing. Just a waste of time and space, really. It's all fanboy bullshit.
Is this the general consensus? I use Kratos and I do pretty well :)

Aske

infinityBCRT said:

Metascores:

Mortal Kombat - 86
Mortal Kombat vs DC - 76

I played them all except MKvsDC, and in my opinion they were awful when compared to the original 2D games and most other 3D fighters. MK is a popular franchise that has always been popular. It's as iconic to the world of videogames as Mario. Long as it's an MK fighting game and there are fatalities (or DC characters I guess) people will buy it, and many of them will love it. It's legendary.

But none of the 3D games delivered the goods. There's a lot of love for Deception, but as a fighting game, it pales in comparison to anything outside the franchise. It's only notable for not being as weak as Deadly Alliance, or as stripped down as Armageddon. Compared to other fighting games, it's only notable for having awesome fatalities.

This is coming from someone who loved MK4. I love MK as a concept, and I wanted every one of those games to be good. I felt disappointed by the combat engine every time. It took the MK9 demo to convince me that things had truly changed - I was extremely skeptical of the game before I got to try it myself, despite all the great preview press and the trailers.

These are just my opinions, but I think they're shared by a large number of MK fans, regardless of metacritic.

Edit: Obviously I'm only talking about the MK games in the fighting genre. Shaolin Monks is amazing, but I don't ever hear anyone bashing that game. It doesn't really need defending.

damn this weather is cooking my box, need to give it a break :p

If neverrealm were to release more classic costumes as dlc like kano's white setup, classic kang and cage from mk1 i'd buy it instantly.

Kimosabae

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Just had some great online matches with Gowans; very little lag. And I actually WON! This is a very strange feeling!

Brag post.

We definitely need more of these.

*Shang Tsung voice*

Diablo and Gowans in a first to 10! Loser's soul is miiinnnee!!

FIGHT!

So after last nights games and this afternoons I can safely say there has been no lag for me. I don't do ranked matches and maybe that's why people get so much lag? I just join a populated room like hell and challenge people or join a koth.

Aske said:
Edit: Obviously I'm only talking about the MK games in the fighting genre. Shaolin Monks is amazing, but I don't ever hear anyone bashing that game. It doesn't really need defending.
I've definitely heard some "Oh that was a... weird game" type of comments from people over the last week.

Diablohead said:
damn this weather is cooking my box, need to give it a break :p

If neverrealm were to release more classic costumes as dlc like kano's white setup, classic kang and cage from mk1 i'd buy it instantly.
I am dying for a bald version of Kano in the white pajamas.

GhostRidah said:
So after last nights games and this afternoons I can safely say there has been no lag for me. I don't do ranked matches and maybe that's why people get so much lag? I just join a populated room like hell and challenge people or join a koth.
PS3 or 360?

malfcn said:
Am I the only one with terrible online problems? I either get stuck on screens, matches don't load, the session is no longer available or desychronizes.
Online is being borked right now with tons of players and stuff, at least private matches still work ok for me.

I'm just surprised at these relationships between characters that I didn't even know existed before. Kabal and Stryker, Smoke and Subzero, Quan Chi and Scorpion, Kitana and Jade, Reptile and Baracka being Shao Khan's henchmen. I love shit like that.

notworksafe said:
I should clarify...

Quan Chi was a lame part of the story when he was inserted in MK4 and on and suddenly made a part of the previous games stories out of nowhere. Felt very forced and annoyed my 15 year old self.

In MK9 he's been integrated in a much better way and I like him much more. (Kung Lao's story mode chapter spoiler)
Plus the reference to "this Deadly Alliance" when you play against him and Shang Tsung made me laugh

Nothing exclusive on 360, and IMO does feel better with the DS3. But 360 version has Live and achievements, which are a big bonus for some.

Is there something wrong with playing online over psn (yes I know it hasn't been working).

I'm not worrying about online till I have gotten through some challenges and storymode. So hopefully its fixed by then(psn).

Is there a good youtube channel yet with combo tips? I'm using Noob right now. He is really fun, but I know im horrible with him. In training mode I can set off combos but in regular play its a bit harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom