• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frogfucious said:
to those who didn't like reptile's new look in MK9, what do you think of his alt? I think it's a great compromise.
Reptiles alt costume was the first item I went for in the krypt, hoping it'd be his mk2 look. So, I dont really like his alt.

SmithnCo

Frogfucious said:
to those who didn't like reptile's new look in MK9, what do you think of his alt? I think it's a great compromise.

His alt looks better but thankfully I got the klassic code from Amazon, it will be my go-to costume for him.

Teknoman

Even though MK looks to be mostly about offensive, Smoke seems to be pretty defense oriented. Finally figured out what the shaking move did, its a projectile teleport parry.

buhdeh

henhowc said:
EVERYONE HATES the 360 dpad. Its so bad that some people actually use the analog stick.

I was doing that. 360 dpad is just ridiculous. You can't even press left or right with any quickness because you'll end up jumping half the time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Probably a longshot here, but would anyone be interested in trading their Reptile costume/fatality code for a Sub-Zero one? PM me if so. :)

Dai Kaiju

Teknoman said:
When you've been doing inventive kills from the nineties...you kinda start to run low on originality after awhile :p Only so many ways to kill someone.

Most of the fatalities I've seen so far are awful. Half of them are just pulling/cutting off limbs. I'd MUCH rather have them recycle some of the older, more original ones.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
buhdeh said:
I was doing that. 360 dpad is just ridiculous. You can't even press left or right with any quickness because you'll end up jumping half the time.

I'm able to use the 360 dpad fine on fighters, especially this one.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Dai Kaiju said:
Most of the fatalities I've seen so far are awful. Half of them are just pulling/cutting off limbs. I'd MUCH rather have them recycle some of the older, more original ones.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are awful. Some of them are pretty awesome. Some of them are meh (I don't like Sonya's...where's the kiss of death?). Personally I think that some of the fatalities started getting pretty dumb starting with MK3 and most of the MK9 ones are a return to form. If you think these are bad go take a look at the fatalities for the last few MK games. I think you would re-think your assessment after that. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Interesting that a lot of people are using pads. I'm on a stick right now but I can't find a layout that feels all that good.

Grifter

Teknoman said:
Even though MK looks to be mostly about offensive, Smoke seems to be pretty defense oriented. Finally figured out what the shaking move did, its a projectile teleport parry.
The EX version parries physical too.

henhowc said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are awful. Some of them are pretty awesome. If you think these are bad go take a look at the fatalities for the last few 3d MK games. I think you would re-think your assessment after that. :)

I feel that there are no unique fatalities save for a few. What I mean by unique is that the effect is shared by multiple fatalities. For example Noob's first and Kung Lao's second. Also, whats the point of Reptile's spitting acid in the opponent's mouth if he's just going to take out the organs in the first place? It would have served better if the acid corroded the opponent like Smoke's fatality. Not really complaining just making a few observations.

george_us

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING MOTHERFUCK SHAO KAHN

Seriously, his recovery times aren't even fucking consistent. This is fucking bullshit.

crimzonflame said:
I feel that there are no unique fatalities save for a few. What I mean by unique is that the effect is shared by multiple fatalities. For example Noob's first and Kung Lao's second. Also, whats the point of Reptile's spitting acid in the opponent's mouth if he's just going to take out the organs in the first place? It would have served better if the acid corroded the opponent like Smoke's fatality. Not really complaining just making a few observations.
I agree. Reptile's fatality should have had a similar effect to deadpool. No point taking out the organ. Still cool though.

Tokubetsu

george_us said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING MOTHERFUCK SHAO KAHN

Seriously, his recovery times aren't even fucking consistent. This is fucking bullshit.

Yea, I'm in the MK2 fight and he's kind of being a bitch.

Finally beat Story Mode. Pretty good (not mind blowing). Raiden is pretty nonchalant with things, haha.

I do hope Capcom does something like that in the future. I can imagine street fighter 5 being good with that format.

Would had been cool in MVC3 too, to explain what is going one.

O yea, I have a Katana DLC code. Anybody want to trade for a Ninja one? For 360.

Yousefb

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I'm in the MK2 fight and he's kind of being a bitch.
I beat him after 7 tries (could've been 6, by the end I really didn't care I just needed to kill that piece of shit!!)

But I still love the game :p

Triz

Im almost ready to trade in my PS3 copy for an xbox one so I can play online. Frustrating that I havent got a match yet online do to PSN issues.

OK. So after restarting, the endings are visible again but I can only see the ending of characters that were player one in coop, which is stupid cause I have already seen some of the other endings and they are not there. Stats also disappeared and reappeared.

malfcn

Teknoman said:

The EX will also parry combo most normals.

Also going to put it out there: I have a Reptile code.

Glass Joe

shagg_187 said:
Is Nekropolis broken? Character endings are viewable there but after viewing it once, they aren't showing up anymore. Weird... :/

What console you on? I only re-viewed Scorp's, hope it's still there.

Also, glad to read some of the hate on the 360 pad, I thought I was going crazy. Just going to fatality trainer (where they show your exact commands) was frustrating to me / confirming my problems. It's hard for me to press *exactly* down, without left/right also showing up way too often. That's why Raiden's teleport / uppercut combo (necessary for story mode) was such a pain in the ass. I had to resort to the analog (not ideal).

I *do* need a second controller. I was thinking official 360 pad, with the new dpad, any more confirmations the pad part is good? Also, if there's a decent (cheap) 3rd party one, I'd love to know about it. I mean, even something like the NES pad was perfect, so why's it so hard to get it right today?

Oh, and I do hope they try to sneak in secrets with the DLC packs or even patches. It would help the longevity of the game & that's been something they've done since the start (the first releases of MK1 arcade didn't have Reptile, for example).

jtrov

Wow, so I've had three straight matches where I'm about to perform my fatality and my opponent pulls out the plug. Then I get a message saying, "Game session no longer available" and I'm not credited a win or anything. I'm not bad, but I'm not "that good" either, so I would love to see my wins count. I'm hovering around .500 win percentage, but these salty losers pulling the plug don't help.

ithorien

Glass Joe said:
I *do* need a second controller. I was thinking official 360 pad, with the new dpad, any more confirmations the pad part is good? Also, if there's a decent (cheap) 3rd party one, I'd love to know about it. I mean, even something like the NES pad was perfect, so why's it so hard to get it right today?

Not sure how the Razer Onza is, could also be an option.

What difficulty is everyone playing on that has issues with Kahn?

Aske

henhowc said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are awful. Some of them are pretty awesome. Some of them are meh (I don't like Sonya's...where's the kiss of death?). Personally I think that some of the fatalities started getting pretty dumb starting with MK3 and most of the MK9 ones are a return to form. If you think these are bad go take a look at the fatalities for the last few MK games. I think you would re-think your assessment after that. :)

The fatalities are one of the only things the last few games got right.

I agree that updated versions of more classics would be sweet, but I think the new ones are generally pretty good in MK9. There are always better and worse fatalities in MK games, but the ratio in MK9 is solid. I do think that they could have pushed a little further to ensure the fatalities were all consistently as shocking or more shocking than X-rays though. The X-rays are all so impressive they undermine a few of the less creative fatalities. Scorpion's are both pretty dull considering things like his crazy spear-head-burst thing in DA; and Sub-Zero's first fatality is nothing compared to his amazing freeze-and-leg-shatter-then-stomp-on-crawling-torso from Deception, or skeleton rip from DA. Haven't seen his second one yet, so with a bit of luck it'll be more interesting. They both also have classic fatalities though, and those are excellent. Toasty could have been reworked a little more creatively, but it's still as solid as ever. Spine rip is forever godly.

Overall, I've been impressed by most of the fatalities I've seen so far. I can't actually think of any weak ones besides Scorp and Sub off the top of my head, but I've only seen about half of them. I like Sonya's so much more than the kiss of death though. It's a remake of one of her older fatalities, originally used in MK4. So satisfying.

jtrov said:
Wow, so I've had three straight matches where I'm about to perform my fatality and my opponent pulls out the plug. Then I get a message saying, "Game session no longer available" and I'm not credited a win or anything. I'm not bad, but I'm not "that good" either, so I would love to see my wins count. I'm hovering around .500 win percentage, but these salty losers pulling the plug don't help.
Surprised that they don't give you the win the moment you finish both rounds. Everyone pulls plug during fatalities so win should count right away.

shagg_187 said:
Surprised that they don't give you the win the moment you finish both rounds. Everyone pulls plug during fatalities so win should count right away.
Yeah, if this is true then it's a big WTF Netherrealm?

This isn't the first online MK game. Everyone knows that losers are going to quit before the fatality. A win should be instant the health bar drops to zero.

Glass Joe

ithorien said:
Not sure how the Razer Onza is, could also be an option.

What difficulty is everyone playing on that has issues with Kahn?

Medium difficulty (in everything) for me. The ladder seems tolerable though (but I've only gone through the ladder with Scorp and Kang so far. Other characters may end up being frustrating for all I know).

The problem is you face Kahn
twice in story mode. Once with Liu Kang and once with Raiden. And both times it's the craziest difficulty spike. The technique to fighting him is so different that it's just bad programming. Suddenly you're not doing aggressive combos, you're basically exploiting the AI, or failing. The Kang one I did easily once I looked it up (could have been luck), but the Raiden one really soured an otherwise great experience.

Glass Joe

ThatCrazyGuy said:
How come sometimes during story mode you are allowed to do X-Ray moves and sometimes not?

Don't remember that happening, myself. A couple characters' X-Rays are performed in unique circumstances though (defensive or in the air), instead of being purely offensive. That's probably your problem. At least if you're Cage or
Cyber Sub

malfcn

For those with sticks, what is your lay out? So far I have tried thee.

Mose recent:

(FP) (BP) (BK)(TH)
(FK)(BK)(ST)((TG)

Before

(FP) (BK) (BP)(TH)
(FK)(ST)(BK)((TG)

First

(BL) (FP) (BP)(TH)
(ST)(FK)(BK)((TG)

jtrov

shagg_187 said:

Unless it's like some other games where it credits them late, but so far I've played 4 more matches and it still hasn't rewarded any of them. I wish this game had a "previous matches" list, like some sports games or any other competitive online games. For instance in Madden you could look at their recent games and see if they disconnected or quit a lot, before sending them an invite.

Doing a fatality after a hard earned fight is so rewarding, but I'm so scared now that I'm hesitant to pull them off and instead just quickly hit them to get it over with. Such a shame...

If anyone on GAF wants to make a room tonight, I'm down for some matches with guys from the community. I may not be the best MK guy, but I've always loved the series, and just looking for some fun. I'm already on the MKvsGAF tag on XBL, but if you want to invite me my GT is: jtrov

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
malfcn said:

Mose recent:

(FP) (BP) (BK)(TH)
(FK)(BK)(ST)((TG)

Before

(FP) (BK) (BP)(TH)
(FK)(ST)(BK)((TG)

First

(BL) (FP) (BP)(TH)
(ST)(FK)(BK)((TG)

Most people are using a 6 button layout. I havent started using my stick because I am still confused about what the layout should be. 2 of those are macros.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
malfcn said:
I don't really use the TH or TaG buttons right now. FPBP works for throw. Is there a tag shortcut?

[FP] [BP] [TAG]
[FK] [BK] [BLOCK]

This works because then to xray its just the bottom 3 buttons.

Throw is a macro.

notworksafe

malfcn said:

Mose recent:

(FP) (BP) (BK)(TH)
(FK)(BK)(ST)((TG)

Before

(FP) (BK) (BP)(TH)
(FK)(ST)(BK)((TG)

First

(BL) (FP) (BP)(TH)
(ST)(FK)(BK)((TG)
I was using

TAG - FP - BP
BLK - FK - BK

but I've just said screw it and am using

FP -BP - TAG
FK - BK - BLK

as it's closer to the default and makes more sense. You don't need a throw button as FP+FK will do a throw when you hit them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom