• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played a couple of chapters in Story Mode...

What the fuck are they thinking.
Some of the worst character design I've ever seen.

Sonya looks like a transexual with a bad boob job,
Tsang Tsung's hair and mustache are just amazing,
What's up with stubby stryker and don't even mention close-ups of Cage...

Really these character models are not meant to be viewed up close,
but still... Man are the char's ugly...

Still an amazing game though.
I already had more fun with this than with MvC3, which I would've never imagined if someone would've told me a year back.

malfcn

MThanded said:
[FP] [BP] [TAG]
[FK] [BK] [BLOCK]

This works because then to xray its just the bottom 3 buttons.

Throw is a macro.

Might check that out. BK + special makes EX, so depends which area is easiest so hit. I don't mind the 3 buttons. My first lay out used 3 buttons to X-ray too.

Animation-Imp said:

I already had more fun with this than with MvC3, which I would've never imagined if someone would've told me a year back.

Man I was so disappointed when I saw Kitana and Jade's alt costumes.

I'm loving the game so far. My only complaint is the female characters. They all have wide shoulders, a tiny waist and thin hips, they just look odd and they're all ugly.

LordK

notworksafe said:
I got Jade's Klassic but now after seeing what Kitana has as her alt, I want her Klassic. Keep that manface covered up please!

I hope they release a patch that puts masks back on their faces for the alts.

GhostRidah said:
How can you complain about MK's character design? its half ninjas for christ sake lol

Most of the ninjas are fine,
but damn, the cut-scens in sp are a pain to watch,
well I couldn't stop lauching anyway.
The teeth, Sonya, Cage, Stryker, Jax...
Did you look at those faces and tits.
Can't see how anyone would disagree.

In actual gameplay the chars are scaled down and moving fast,
making the awfull art unnoticeable.
This compared with nice effects and some amazing backgounds makes it not such a big deal,
but still...

Animation-Imp said:

This compared with nice effects and some amazing backgounds makes it not such a big deal,
but still...
That makes sense, I haven't touched story mode and I don't think I ever will.

Glass Joe

bloodforge said:
I'm loving the game so far. My only complaint is the female characters. They all have wide shoulders, a tiny waist and thin hips, they just look odd and they're all ugly.

Yeah without inspecting them too closely, I'm fairly confident that each girl (except Sheeva) has the exact same body model. Same boobs, same legs, same bellybutton, etc. Different head / costume / stance is all. And it's really jarring to see Sonya especially in story mode. Cage should have been all "Um, you come to work dressed like a stripper?" I wish they weren't all so samey/whorey.

notworksafe

LordK said:
I hope they release a patch that puts masks back on their faces for the alts.
Or just sell the klassic stuff as DLC for a not terrible price. I'm only missing three now!

GhostRidah said:
That makes sense, I haven't touched story mode and I don't think I ever will.
It's the only way to unlock the two secret characters.

There's a small joke about the revealing costumes worn by the female characters in Stryker's story as well. Made me laugh.

K.Sabot said:
Don't be facetious, what annoys me is that most strings involve all of the buttons being hit before the first attack in the string even finishes. This limits the player's ability to confirm hits, which in turn limits most unique normals from ever being used.

THIS. My god, THIS.

This is what I meant by the controls being sluggish. I can't adjust or improvise, cause I have to wait half a second for the first damn command to register.

So every combo is like a hail-mary pass. Just pray it hits, or accept your punishment if it doesnt. And that feels lame to me.

notworksafe said:
Or just sell the klassic stuff as DLC for a not terrible price. I'm only missing three now!

It's the only way to unlock the two secret characters.
The only one who interests me is Quan chi and that's only because of his sick looking xray, other than that it doesn't look so great and cyber zero.... I don't know, he doesn't look so good either.

Untracked

george_us said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING MOTHERFUCK SHAO KAHN

Seriously, his recovery times aren't even fucking consistent. This is fucking bullshit.
This.
I don't know what to do. I'm trying to beat him as Liu Kang in Story Mode, can barely touch him. I was really getting into the game but it's like I've hit a brick wall!

What does it mean when I hit him and he flashes?
Maybe I should knock the difficulty down here.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Antitype said:
THIS. My god, THIS.

This is what I meant by the controls being sluggish. I can't adjust or improvise, cause I have to wait half a second for the first damn command to register.

So every combo is like a hail-mary pass. Just pray it hits, or accept your punishment if it doesnt. And that feels lame to me.
If you are going for a punish then you know its going to hit.

Someone whiffs you dial combo in.

ithorien

Animation-Imp said:

but still...

Fully agree. The charm of MK1-3 was the actors for me. If you're gonna go full 3d, make them look as realistic as possible, get rid of the cartoony art style.

Thanks Glass Joe! That was it exactly.

For button config.

I use:

Tag-FP-BP
Blk-FK-BK

I can hit EX and X-ray moves good. Plus it feels like SC or VF, so I can get to used to blocking better, hehe.

I don't about you guys, but in story mode, I was able to beat most dudes by getting them in the corner, low jab, then throw, repeat to dead. I could do it out in the open, but sometimes they would dash backwards out of it.

The boss fights weren't so bad, but you have to cheese it as well. Damn super armor!

Pimpbaa

ithorien said:
Fully agree. The charm of MK1-3 was the actors for me. If you're gonna go full 3d, make them look as realistic as possible, get rid of the cartoony art style.

That would be boring. We have too many games going for realistic as it is.

notworksafe

ithorien said:
I have zero interest in a "realistic" MK. It's about ninjas, sorcerers, other realms and basically being as ridiculous as possible.

ithorien

notworksafe said:
I have zero interest in a "realistic" MK. It's about ninjas, sorcerers, other realms and basically being as ridiculous as possible.

What I meant is realistic looking models, that actually look like people. Cage looks like a shitty version of Duke Nukem imo, and that's just one example.

You can still pull off ridiculous ninjas and sorcerers and creatures and make the humans look decent.

ithorien said:

You know what, maybe I'm weird, I think the characters are NOT cartoony enough.

Like all the males and females what the same body type basically (minus the bosses).

I wish some dudes were taller, shorter, had longer arms, different shaped arms, different shaped muscle masses.

I'm not an art guy, so maybe I am not explaining what I am seeing properly, but I wish everybody looked more different body wise (because I personally love the general character designs).

Pimpbaa

notworksafe said:

This guy gets it. Pointing out one ridiculous thing out of a ridiculous game (ridiculous in a good way) is well....ridiculous.

Glass Joe

Untracked said:
This.
I don't know what to do. I'm trying to beat him as Liu Kang in Story Mode, can barely touch him. I was really getting into the game but it's like I've hit a brick wall!

What does it mean when I hit him and he flashes?
Maybe I should knock the difficulty down here.

Keep your distance. He'll either throw hammers (jump over) or spears (duck without blocking or ideally throw a low fireball, the spear will pass over you and you'll score a hit). The main thing to do here is stop being aggressive. When you do your X-ray, it'll usually land. Follow it up with a bicycle kick while he's still falling (good for a 10 hit combo). Depending on how far away from him you are, use your best combo or a flying kick to hit him when he taunts and back away again. It's a bitch for sure, but I had success when I stayed away from him.

PS: It gets easier after. Well, until the end.

EDIT: Added the bold to clarify what I meant.

MThanded said:
If you are going for a punish then you know its going to hit.

Someone whiffs you dial combo in.

*shrugs*

It feels stilted, detached and frustrating to me after so many years of fluid input in fighters.

Untracked

Glass Joe said:
Keep your distance. He'll either throw hammers (jump over) or spears (duck and throw a low fireball). The main thing to do here is stop being aggressive. When you do your X-ray, it'll usually land. Follow it up with a bicycle kick while he's still falling (good for a 10 hit combo). Depending on how far away from him you are, use your best combo or a flying kick to hit him and back away again. It's a bitch for sure, but I had success when I stayed away from him.

PS: It gets easier after. Well, until the end.
Ok thanks for the help.
I just beat him in one round by jumping towards him and tapping X and Y (360) like a motherfucker lol. He got me in rounds 2 and 3 though.
Will try your advice now!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

It feels stilted, detached and frustrating to me after so many years of fluid input in fighters.
Guessing you have never played soul calibur or almost any 3d fighter. Like I said this game is more akin to a 3d fighter in a single plane with no side stepping.

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i tried to log in on the PS3 and i cant.......... is it still down???
Yes

derFeef

The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

I thought you sold your game? Why are you still forcing yourself playing a game you seem to hate?

Nome

Animation-Imp said:

This is Mortal Kombat!
Where men are men and women are like men!

Glass Joe

Untracked said:
Ok thanks for the help.
I just beat him in one round by jumping towards him and tapping X and Y (360) like a motherfucker lol. He got me in rounds 2 and 3 though.
Will try your advice now!

Good luck (if you're still having trouble, read my post again. I made some clarifying statements).

NEO0MJ

Something weird is happening in the game. Even after unlocking the other fatalities for the characters from the krypt they don't spear on the move list in versus.

notworksafe

NEO0MJ said:
Something weird is happening in the game. Even after unlocking the other fatalities for the characters from the krypt they don't spear on the move list in versus.
Yeah, seems to be a bug. They'll appear for whoever is the "first" player in offline versus but not the other player.

Casval said:
This is Mortal Kombat!
Where men are men and women are like men!

Yeah, I think NRS should have taken a note on how to model / handle boob physics from the Japanese fighter developers. Hopefully they can implement a proper boob job via a patch. I'd pay $50 for it. :p

Untracked

Wow, beat Shao Kahn first go with Glass Joe's tactic. It was really fucking dull, but it got the job done, so thanks for the help.
When I backed off he just stood there pointing his finger and laughing. Low Fireballed him constantly and finished him off with an X-Ray.

MrMephistoX

notworksafe said:

Yeah me too just missing Kitana, Mileena, and Sub-Zero now. I've completed part one of my dastardly plot and picked up the Scorpion code; part two will commence when PSN goes back up and I return the game to Gamestop un-opened lol.

Struct09

Absoludacrous said:
I think I've spent more time looking at the looking for opponent screen than I have playing the game.

Something seems wrong with ranked matches, but have you tried joining a room? Best way to get good matches right now.

The Antitype said:
THIS. My god, THIS.

Oh God, I hate this game so much that I'm returning it!

*keeps on playing it*

Oh God! The agony! Trading it in for MvC3!

*keeps on playing it*

Just a little more hate! Fuck the controls!

*keeps on playing it*

notworksafe

MrMephistoX said:
Yeah me too just missing Kitana, Mileena, and Sub-Zero now. I've completed part one of my dastardly plot and picked up the Scorpion code; part two will commence when PSN goes back up and I return the game to Gamestop un-opened lol.
Missing the same ones! I think we used the same method for acquiring codes as well. :p

Struct09 said:
Something seems wrong with ranked matches, but have you tried joining a room? Best way to get good matches right now.

Yea, that's worked a couple times. Joined a few KoH matches and waited for a while, only to have the room desynch right before my fight.

When it's good it's great, but those times feel so few and far between right now. Crazy to think I had an easier time with Deception 7 years ago.

Glass Joe

MThanded said:
Guessing you have never played soul calibur or almost any 3d fighter. Like I said this game is more akin to a 3d fighter in a single plane with no side stepping.

Yeah it's pretty similar to Soul Calibur with Mortal Kombat 3 style gameplay. The combos aren't AS dialed in as MK3 and either you like the play style or you don't.

One thing I think is weird (and maybe it's just because I'm not an expert player or have learned each character), but kicks seem to be about worthless. They're slow and they're not combo friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom