• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
Big One said:
Well it seems everyone is playing Scorpion and Smoke online.

Is that just because the look cool though? lol
The ninjas seem like pretty same bets.

I'm tempted to try and master Kung Lau or Liu Kang.

Big One said:
True. That really means that they can either re-adapt those games (technically the events of Deadly Alliance shouldn't happen cause
Shang Tsung is deeeaaddd
), or they can do something completely different. I wouldn't mind taking the cast of those three games and just revamping them to be decent characters somehow or another.

The problem is that most MK fans prefer the classic characters over the newer one's created MK4 and onward. Not only does that mean it'd be more popular to keep characters from this game in as opposed to using most of them, but it doesn't exactly bring a lot of confidence towards creating new characters. Let's face it, the Ninjas are the most popular so what would they do? Create a whole new batch of colored ninjas? lolz So the one negative to having so many characters in this game is that there's not much left character wise to improve for next game. You can sacrifice a few characters for the handful of good later series characters but you know fans will bitch when their favorites are taken out. I expect the best characters not in MK9 are coming via DLC too so there would be even less characters to pull for the next game not used in this one...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I never watched a giantbomb stream(dont hurt me). I may the last person in the world to know Whitta does stuff with giantbomb.

Big One

Banned
Squall ASF said:
The problem is that most MK fans prefer the classic characters over the newer one's created MK4 and onward. Not only does that mean it'd be more popular to keep characters from this game in as opposed to using most of them, but it doesn't exactly bring a lot of confidence towards creating new characters. Let's face it, the Ninjas are the most popular so what would they do? Create a whole new batch of colored ninjas? lolz So the one negative to having so many characters in this game is that there's not much left character wise to improve for next game. You can sacrifice a few characters for the handful of good later series characters but you know fans will bitch when their favorites are taken out. I expect the best characters not in MK9 are coming via DLC too so there would be even less characters to pull for the next game not used in this one...
It really depends if Ed Boon can keep his promises for lots of DLC this time. MK vs DC was also supposed to get quite a bit of content but didn't in the long run.

alstein

Big One said:
It really depends if Ed Boon can keep his promises for lots of DLC this time. MK vs DC was also supposed to get quite a bit of content but didn't in the long run.

I'd rather have seen them add moves to existing chars then add new chars.

Myomoto

MThanded said:
I never watched a giantbomb stream(dont hurt me). I may the last person in the world to know Whitta does stuff with giantbomb.

He's a regular on Tested's weekly podcast, and Tested and Giant Bomb are in the same office.

NutJobJim said:

The characters all seem pretty good and well balanced. There will be a few a cut above the rest I expect, I can see a few I think will be in that category but you can't really go 'wrong'. One of the few characters I'm guessing will be god tier is Kung Lau so not a bad one to master, go for it. As for why people are picking the same characters, people go with whatever character was easiest for them to use while button mashing initially. Scorpion is really easy to use. Smoke is a fast character so probably is why he is popular.

Big One said:
To be fair Midway was really close to closing at that point and a lot of things were up in the air.

I feel like such a dork, but how do you beat the challenge where
you have to beat a zombie before he pushes you to the edge of the screen
?

Xevren

Kung Lao is nuts, the amount of shit he can do is definitely going to be putting him up near the top. To anyone who has issues playing against Noob, just pick Smoke. Shake shuts down all his projectiles.

Chairhome said:
Seeing how much of a problem Boon had with the internet posting fatalities back in the day, I think you're supposed to figure them out yourself, haha.
but i probably won't. I posted last night that I was able to figure out one of Reptile's fatalities in fatality tutorial by pure luck, and it really felt rewarding, but it would take forever to figure everyone's out, haha. Maybe I'll just figure out my main's.
Ok thanks. That's weird, why would they keep stage fatalities a secret?

Khezu

alstein said:
I'd rather have seen them add moves to existing chars then add new chars.

Maybe fatalitys and other finishers, but adding in actual moves for DLC seems like it would cause more problems then its worth.

I would enjoy new non ninja non slutty female characters.

NutJobJim said:

smoke has a super fast teleport and good setups, scorpion can counter anything with his teleport, spear and floor flame shit, he is damn god in a good players hands, maybe a little too good.

Bleepey

Who are you lot proposing to be your mains? I like Kung lao, Kitana, Johhny Cage, Jade and maybe Sonya. Also the writing in the game is so good. Shang Tsung: "Don't you two do anything other than save each other?" So true

Bleepey said:
Who are you lot proposing to be your mains? I like Kung lao, Kitana, Johhny Cage, Jade and maybe Sonya. Also the writing in the game is so good. Shang Tsung: "Don't you two do anything other than save each other?" So true
hard to tell but I can do rather good with ermac and sub, both slow players but some meaty combos.

Glass Joe

Squall ASF said:

Yeah that's sort of my deal. DLC with new characters that may or may suck doesn't really interest me as much as having more retro costumes / fatalities / etc. Any of the cool cast members from MK4 and on can be saved for Mortal Kombat 2, in my opinion. And since the cast from then on has been really hit and miss, anyone completely new I wouldn't want to run out and download without research.

Side note (story spoilers) for MK2 speculation:
I found it pretty funny that the characters who died were for the most part the unpopular ones in the franchise. Jade, Jax, Stryker, Smoke, Kitana, and Nightwolf, guess they're not invited for part 2 haha. Well, Smoke will probably become Cyber Smoke. Shame about Liu Kang and Kitana though. I always liked Kitana and I'm good at using her.

Yousefb

I really liked everyone I played with in story mode, usually in fighting games there are characters that I just HATE to play as, but it was all fun in this imo.

Though my favs have to be Smoke, Noob, and Cyrax.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Bleepey said:
Rolling with Noob right now. Though I like Johnny Cage, I refuse to play as him. Why? Because it's Johnny Cage.

Absoludacrous said:
Thanks dude
heh I never mean it seriously :p I was waiting for a teleport + punch + floor grab + punch + ex push for massive ownage.

Another good one is jump in Y + Y + Y + floor grab + punch + ex push, something like 32%

Diablohead said:
heh I never mean it seriously :p I was waiting for a teleport + punch + floor grab + punch + ex push for massive ownage.

Hard to do with lag. I can run 30-40% combos all day in training, but once you're online timing goes out the window.

Absoludacrous said:
Hard to do with lag. I can run 30-40% combos all day in training, but once you're online timing goes out the window.
yeah one reason why i'm avoiding ranked for now myself.

Stream looks like most fights are running smooth visually, better then half the crap I get here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I am a sad panda. I literally can't play this online, the lag is so severe it won't recognize my inputs. Half the time I stand there like a nob while I get punched in the face and the rest of the time I'm hitting air because my moves are so delayed. I'm starting to feel like that annoying jackass DSP does on his SF videos.

This is awful, I feel like I've been punched in the gut. Why didn't you guys test this at NRS? Why wouldn't you license GGPO if you can't handle network code yourself? I mean christ during game bootup there is like 8 pieces of middleware that come up during the logo screen, whats one more?

I'm going to go silently weep in the corner now. Thanks NRS, you've ruined gaming forever. Assholes.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
I know! Having a mini-tourney at my place tomorrow and I'm going to set the mix on each setup beforehand. :p

Yeah, after hearing the armory music (not that far in story mode) i'm going to have to mess with the options menu anytime I go to someones house lol.

The Effects and ambiance are loud enough to lowered alot, and still hear loud and clear, but gotta have the announcer and music at max.

Oh and were brutalities ever confirmed? Still have that suspicion that we'll be finding out secret unlock methods months from now.

Sinatar said:
Man I am a sad panda. I literally can't play this online, the lag is so severe it won't recognize my inputs. Half the time I stand there like a nob while I get punched in the face and the rest of the time I'm hitting air because my moves are so delayed. I'm starting to feel like that annoying jackass DSP does on his SF videos.

This is awful, I feel like I've been punched in the gut. Why didn't you guys test this at NRS? Why wouldn't you license GGPO if you can't handle network code yourself? I mean christ during game bootup there is like 8 pieces of middleware that come up during the logo screen, whats one more?

I'm going to go silently weep in the corner now. Thanks NRS, you've ruined gaming forever. Assholes.

Isnt there some way they can patch the game to improve the netcode?

MrMephistoX

Sinatar said:

Look on the bright side: at least you're not on PSN like me ;)

hopefully they do something about it, having super strict region searches will not remove the terrible dropped combos and moves problem, they need to fix that part mostly, like client side button detection or something, dunno, but it feels terrible.

Teknoman

Wait klassic music = kombat kode? I thought it was hold start or something?

Also PSN has been down since late yesterday...no one knows when it'll come back.

notworksafe

scoobs said:
I bought all the unlockable fatalities in the krypt and now they've all disappeared... im on ps3. wtf.
It seems to be a bug where fatalities won't appear for player 2 in offline versus even after unlocked. Happens on both Xbox and PS3. :\

I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed soon.

Teknoman said:

Also PSN has been down since late yesterday...no one knows when it'll come back.
Something something Geohot has teamed with Skynet.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Teknoman said:

blame skynet

edit:fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom