• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

This game series holds mainstream relevance because of different iconic things from the past- the gore, fatalities, "GET OVER HERE," Liu Kang's voice, etc (along with the fact that most of titles are still great games overall)

I personally see the rainbow of ninjas as part of that. It's cool for the story to have different costumes so that it isn't just a ninja parade, but they have these retro costumes that take minimal effort- why not just let us use them?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so how do you get that free sub zero skin again?

Agreed. I wish NRS would stop pandering to that. For instance Reptile looks fantastic.
You serious? How does it negatively affect you in any way? There isn't even a klassic Reptile skin yet, and there are already three versions of him as a lizard dude.

Some people might want the additional skin simply for nostalgia/because Reptile's face is currently ugly as sin.

This game series holds mainstream relevance because of different iconic things from the past- the gore, fatalities, "GET OVER HERE," Liu Kang's voice, etc (along with the fact that most of titles are still great games overall)

I personally see the rainbow of ninjas as part of that. It's cool for the story to have different costumes so that it isn't just a ninja parade, but they have these retro costumes that take minimal effort- why not just let us use them?
Exactly! Haha why not just add it in? I think it would be cool if they added in the metallic versions or all the Ninjas as well.

Jaeger

Hell anytime I wanna pick Scorpion and Sub-Zero I'd rather pick there human/unmasked form. I like that we finally get a human form Scorpion now.

Me too. With Scorpion, it was long overdue. He's never been anything but an angry ninja wraith, yelling "GET OVER HERE" every game, until now. Zero character development.

Me too. With Scorpion, it was long overdue. He's never been anything but an angry ninja wraith, yelling "GET OVER HERE" every game, until now. Zero character development.
Now he's an angry ninja dude who's biggest contribution to the plot is literally yelling "Get over here" lol. Dat character development. He's the worst character, all he does is get angry and do stupid things.

But at least you can see his face :)

Jaeger

I just love me some palette swap ninjas

7102283_f520.jpg

Dat variety. What's funny is most of them have nothing to do with one another. A couple are Lin Kuei. One is Shirai Ryu. One is a dead servant of Quan chi (who used to be Lin Kuei). One is an prince from another realm. One is a being bonded with numerous souls. It's like K-Mart had a fire sale on "Ninja Outfits" for $10.99.

Now he's an angry ninja dude who's biggest contribution to the plot is literally yelling "Get over here" lol. Dat character development. He's the worst character, all he does is get angry and do stupid things.

Sounds like you didn't complete Story mode.

What made Reptile unique was his reveal. You had green ninja named Reptile (oh, he's green, I get it), his ninja mask came off to spit acid and then he tore his face off to reveal a lizard head. That was awesome.

Now you have a scales revealing Reptilian man...hiding his face...

I just want something more cunning and clever, is all. Call these Zaterran Kombat outfits or something (I love them and the idea of Zaterrans having a need to hide their identities from one another like any other race when it comes to sleuthing). And give us an Earthrealm disguise for crying out loud.

OR, bring back the Zaterran race and Reptile still needs to hide himself so he isn't identified by anyone. Boom, now these outfits work (kind of).

ACH1LL3US

I got the pc version of MK X yesterday, no problems dowloading it and playing it like reports a couple of days ago.

I am using A Titan X and playing it in 4K native on my new 48ju7500 samsung 4k curve monitor and... it looks insane... Th0ere is no comparison between it and the console versions, at 4K the game looks almost cgi, love it!!

Some differences I did notice between console versions and the pc version are as follows:

character select screen once characters aee chosen they dont walk away from each other on the pc version... I miss that lol

there is definite black crush on the pc version.. I have my monitor cali rate to 6500k 2.2 gamma and this is the only game that is showing black crush, I am sure someone will fix it in a week :)

30fps intros and character select screen seems more jarring in the pc version, again just like mk9 someone will mod it to be 60 fps I hope.

Load times.... wow... pc version on a 850 evo ssd and there is NONE.. the screen that shows loading literally just blinks and goes to the first round... love that, its like old school neo geo cartridge lol

Overall I love the pc version especially at 4k.. 4k is a game changer for me it really is. I havent been this blown away from games since I layed battlefield 1943 on my radeon 9700 which was my first pc build a long time ago.

Btw.. Titan X is playing the game maxed out at 4k at 60fps with no dips 8)

7102283_f520.jpg

Dat variety. What's funny is most of them have nothing to do with one another. A couple are Lin Kuei. One is Shirai Ryu. One is a dead servant of Quan chi (who used to be Lin Kuei). One is an prince from another realm. One is a being bonded with numerous souls. It's like K-Mart had a fire sale on "Ninja Outfit" for $10.99.
I still like my idea that they were mandated to wear them for the tournament ceremonies. Colors chosen based on there personalities and themes. That's how I thought of it as a kid.

Trickster

I think you just download the patch. He's there for me atleast.

I already checked for that, i don't have it :/

On pc btw.

On a different note. I've been seeing some mentions about cassie having to use a run mechanic or something like that, in order to be properly utilized. Wondering if anyone could clarify what they mean by that? I've been watching some combo vids for her, and I don't really see anyone running in order to get solid combo's with her?

And again on a seperate note. Have NRS said anything about why they didn't include a PP/BP equivelant in the game? Just seeing a win/loss counter doesn't tell me much about my opponent unless the ratio is heavily in loopsided. Just seems like a weird thing to not do a bit more out of.

Mesoian

So post patch, the game doesnt crash at button config anymore. YAY!

But now online doesn't work. At all. It hangs at the "reading stats data" screen.

The ignorance in this post. It burns

7102283_f520.jpg

Dat variety. What's funny is most of them have nothing to do with one another. A couple are Lin Kuei. One is Shirai Ryu. One is a dead servant of Quan chi (who used to be Lin Kuei). One is an prince from another realm. One is a being bonded with numerous souls. It's like K-Mart had a fire sale on "Ninja Outfits" for $10.99.
Sounds like you didn't complete Story mode.
I can promise you I did haha. I even referenced it!

Best case scenario Scorpion gets to fuck everything up by getting blindingly mad (to the point where he's about as intelligent as Victarion Greyjoy) at different people lol. He's a tragic character, but his tragic flaw is that he's a stupid idiot. Everyone talks down to him like he's a child for good reason. Seriosly everything he does is:

Someone tells him something
He get pissed
People point out why he's acting stupid
But he's pissed!
Everything goes to shit because he fucked up.

That was his story arc in the last game too!

*But now he has hair

Wallach

Man. Quan Chi is just too fun. He's definitely taken over the #1 spot for me, Warlock in particular. I wish he had like one more safe string besides F212 that led to something, though with how good that string is I don't really mind. He just feels like he has cool stuff to do anywhere on the screen. Plus if you get bored you can switch to Summoner and be dirty as fuck too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what was that nvidia auto-downsample new thing called? I think its turned off sicne the latest nvidia patch and I cant find where to turn it back on. I thought MKX just didnt support it but all my custom resolutions are gone from Dark Souls 2 for example

edit: nvm found it and it was indeed turned off. damn nvidia updates turning shit off :(

Cleve

Well shit, I was hoping the newest patch was going to fix the crashing that started yesterday for me on PS4. If start the game it crashes right before the first menu when it tries to get data from NRS.

If I disable online or log out of psn before I launch it I'm cool, but uh, I kinda bought the game for online play. Reinstalling, reindexing, and removing my save data haven't helped. Oflline play is the only thing that seems to work.

Come on, NRS.

Rhaknar

holy shit at the game in 4k o_O

unfortunatly the FPS goes to shit lol. Maybe when they implement SLI I cant run it in 4k

edit: oh btw PC did NOT get any free sub zero skin >_>

Windforce

Any other Sub-Zero fans out there bothered by the devs' seemingly getting off of Sub-Zero getting killed/hit?

Back in MK9, the very title screen was Scorpion uppercutting Sub-Zero.

Now with MKX, the Fatality gallery/kollection pictures have most of them as Sub-Zero being the fatality victim.

I know this sounds silly but... Fuck this shit, I like him. :(

Any other Sub-Zero fans out there bothered by the devs' seemingly getting off of Sub-Zero getting killed/hit?

Back in MK9, the very title screen was Scorpion uppercutting Sub-Zero.

Now with MKX, the Fatality gallery/kollection pictures have most of them as Sub-Zero being the fatality victim.

I know this sounds silly but... Fuck this shit, I like him. :(
I think it's supposed to be a joke, along the same lines as "Ed Boon is in love with Scorpion".

And apparently, according to a surprising amount of arcade endings,
and then Jax died

robotrock

Banned
holy shit at the game in 4k o_O

unfortunatly the FPS goes to shit lol. Maybe when they implement SLI I cant run it in 4k

edit: oh btw PC did NOT get any free sub zero skin >_>

Yeah it looks absolutely gorgeous. My single 970 stutters like hell of course, but damn. Really good looking game.

zlatko

Banned
So this update makes me wonder if they nerfed stuff.

I bet money Kotal Kahn's forward upper cut forward upper cut down upper cut went to the dry cleaners lol.

A-V-B

Jason's here. Anyone know when Jason will be unlock??

Ahah, so that's how they're doing the DLC characters on the screen.

Wish they'd just done it by scrolling off the screen, though. A second round of DLC characters are going to make the select images even tinier :(

Kinsei

Banned
Well shit, I was hoping the newest patch was going to fix the crashing that started yesterday for me on PS4. If start the game it crashes right before the first menu when it tries to get data from NRS.

If I disable online or log out of psn before I launch it I'm cool, but uh, I kinda bought the game for online play. Reinstalling, reindexing, and removing my save data haven't helped. Oflline play is the only thing that seems to work.

Come on, NRS.

You can reconnect to PSN after you get past the splash screens and then go online.

OmegaDL50

Ahah, so that's how they're doing the DLC characters on the screen.

Wish they'd just done it by scrolling off the screen, though. A second round of DLC characters are going to make the select images even tinier :(

Well maybe there will be left over extensions in the game. This is how the bosses in MK9 were added to the DLC row as playable characters in Arcade Ladder and Versus via a mod.

While Rain and Baraka may not have any variations to use. It would still be nice play as them even if it's just a modification of the games core files by inserting them into blank DLC slots like how Shao Kahn, Goro, and Kintaro were done for MK9.

In fact, both MK9 and MK have a similar coalesce.ini file. (which it was this file that was tampered with to make the bosses playable) So this may very well be possible to do.

Lord Phol

That's not really realistic to use though with that combo starter. Anyone paying any sort of attention will be able to block high in time. You can only really use that as a punish to the laggiest of whiffed attacks.

Yeah it's a really slow start so probably not that good at high level play. Going to see if I can find something similar that comes up faster, she has some good combo potential.
Found one at 29% no bars that starts with a OH jump in. Works with Ravenous too and does 30%.

https://youtu.be/ZB5lPlKk0GI

Can you please share your inputs in the video description?

Yeah sure I'll get on that!

Anybody know the planned individual price for the dlc characters? I see the Kombat Pack but I only want Jason and Predator but can't find any articles that detail the prices.

Top Bottom