• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Dr. Buni

As long as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Cage and a few others stay, I don't think most people would mind most of the cast being new in the next game.

As for me, I only hope D'Vorah isn't cut in the next one. Kotal Kahn and Ferra/Torr not being cut would be nice, too.
I'd much rather see a Mortal Kombat reboot than have the old guard age and/or move on.
Mortal Kombat (2011) was a reboot. Personally I don't see the need for other.

I can't wait for |Mortal Kombat| (My MK11 naming guess) to abandon the old cast in favor of the new. As much as I'd prefer not to, I'd even sacrifice Reptile if it meant fresh faces only (in addition to ageless or slow aging characters). D'vorah is a good enough replacement, anyway.
The last time a main game didn't have Scorpion in it that didn't go well. I doubt there will ever be a game with a complete clean slate.

So, can someone explain the logic behind the damage dropoff in combos? Take Cryomancer Sub-Zero for instance:

This combo is 16 hits, 36% damage.

http://a.pomf.se/erhhdh.webm

But if you take the last part of the combo by itself, it's the same damage, but only 11 hits.

http://a.pomf.se/yjkfzn.webm

However, if you add in a freeze and several hits, you actually LOSE damage -- 14 hits, 34% damage.

http://a.pomf.se/rojjxv.webm

Is this standard in fighting games? If so, what is the logic behind it?

NRS games just have idiotic damage scaling. It's the only fighting game I know of where you can do less damage by making a combo longer. It was like that in MK9, it was like that in Injustice, and I don't know why they haven't gone with a new damage scaling system by now because the current one is terrible and makes no sense.

ZangBa

They should work on making the characters they have now relevant, and actually do things in the story that amount to more than lapdogs that job. Some of the existing characters are still wack, like Reptile. It took this long for Scorpion to show some progression.

NRS games just have idiotic damage scaling. It's the only fighting game I know of where you can do less damage by making a combo longer. It was like that in MK9, it was like that in Injustice, and I don't know why they haven't gone with a new damage scaling system by now because the current one is terrible and makes no sense.

Wait....so I shouldn't do combos online?

Dr. Buni

They should work on making the characters they have now relevant, and actually do things in the story that amount to more than lapdogs that job. Some of the existing characters are still wack, like Reptile. It took this long for Scorpion to show some progression.
That'd be good, too. It would be nice to have a reason to care about characters like Rain (other than gameplay mechanics, which is not enough for me).

This.

they shouldn't add a bunch of new faces if the current ones they added and some of the old ones are still jobbers

Unless NRS is confident enough to make everyone matter on top of adding more newbies.

Xenthar

Just got to lvl 50 white lotus.
I know that if i change faction i will loose all kombat kard thing but if i come back ( lets say a month later ) do i get them back and still lvl 50 or i will i start back at lvl 1 ?

Khezu

The 8 new characters, Liu Kang, Kitana, Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Cage, and Reptile should all return.

Everyone else gets axed for more new characters.

Smoke, Jade, Noob should all stay dead forever.

ZangBa

That'd be good, too. It would be nice to have a reason to care about characters like Rain (other than gameplay mechanics, which is not enough for me).

I feel like Rain had a little development, surely a lot more than some of the playable characters they have, which boggles my mind. He has potential to add a lot to the story, but I don't see Ferra/Torr or Reptile doing anything. Hell, they managed to take a cool idea like Ermac and just turn him into a jobber, I mean come on.

Yaari

At this point I think I'll just pick up a EU copy of the game. I've yet to see a yellow bar connection. I was informed that the game is not as popular in EU but I rather find myself playing quality opponents, than forced into laggy connections.

Waste of the 80$ I put into that edition on US PSN though. But I doubt Netherrealm is ever going to do anything about the region nonsense.

Street Fighter does the same thing. This isn't uncommon in fighting games.

Demoskinos

Can you cancel into Kitana's specials?

Ive been trying to suss out combos for her and so far I have f4,3, f1,1,2 I was hoping after the f1,1,2 string you could cancel into say her rising fans or something that could boost it past 20%,21% if you have sharpen on.

I dunno if I'm just getting the timing wrong... or if the moves I'm using simply have too many recovery frames to cancel into the super?

Dr. Buni

I feel like Rain had a little development, surely a lot more than some of the playable characters they have, which boggles my mind. He has potential to add a lot to the story, but I don't see Ferra/Torr or Reptile doing anything. Hell, they managed to take a cool idea like Ermac and just turn him into a jobber, I mean come on.
They made Mileena (of all characters) a somewhat interesting character in MKX, they can do a good job with Ferra/Torr as well. In fact, their arcade ending left me wanting to know more about them and their species. Dunno about Reptile, never liked him (or any of the ninjas, although I admit MK without Scorpion/Sub-Zero isn't MK).

So, can someone explain the logic behind the damage dropoff in combos? Take Cryomancer Sub-Zero for instance:

This combo is 16 hits, 36% damage.

http://a.pomf.se/erhhdh.webm

But if you take the last part of the combo by itself, it's the same damage, but only 11 hits.

http://a.pomf.se/yjkfzn.webm

However, if you add in a freeze and several hits, you actually LOSE damage -- 14 hits, 34% damage.

http://a.pomf.se/rojjxv.webm

Is this standard in fighting games? If so, what is the logic behind it?

Generally the longer the combo the more it scales to discourage overly long combos and infinites in general. Then on top of that some attacks scale more than others generally depending on how easy/hard to land they are, and if it's something like the iceball that gives you a lot of time to combo into pretty much anything else it just scales harder.

Usually it's better to just leave the quick weak attacks towards the end of a combo.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I hope the next game brings back some of the dead characters that were underutilized in MK9 and all but absent in MKX. Smoke and the like. That and add some of the cutscene folks from MKX. Plus newbies.

tried playing about with Commando Kano but I keep coming back to his cutthroat variation. Corner combos are too good. Even if my timing means I drop the longer ones i've been trying from TYM

Just got to lvl 50 white lotus.
I know that if i change faction i will loose all kombat kard thing but if i come back ( lets say a month later ) do i get them back and still lvl 50 or i will i start back at lvl 1 ?

You start over at level 1 and have to get faction kills again but I thought you kept all the icons, borders and stuff.

The 8 new characters, Liu Kang, Kitana, Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Cage, and Reptile should all return.

Everyone else gets axed for more new characters.

Smoke, Jade, Noob should all stay dead forever.

Smoke is already dead, remember? He's Enenra
now. lol

ZangBa

I'll be honest and say I feel like some of these new characters are just as bad as the ones they added in Deception/Armageddon (never played Deadly Alliance). Design wise, they look a lot better and more unique, but they have a way bigger budget now. As far as introducing them and including them in the lore of the universe, they are lacking.

Erron Black looks and sounds pretty cool, but can anyone say he really adds anything? If they took him out no one would notice. He exists in the story to lose a couple times and that's it. If he actually killed
Rain in Chapter 2
I would be ok with him because at least he'd do something worthwhile.

D'vorah gets my seal of approval for getting some shit done and having a reason to exist. I hated the fact she
ended up being Shinnok's pawn, though, come on fuck that, she was cool solo, don't make her some lame lackey of that lame ass Shinnok.

I thought Kotal Kahn was going to be cool but I guess they intended me to feel like he's the pansiest leader in existence? Where are his credentials? He just gets
mollywhopped by Kung Jin early on in the story,
he's supposed to be the emperor!

And the Kombat Kids are just straight up boring and generic, sorry. All 4 of them suck, and I'd replace all 4 of them for 1 other character.

Dr. Buni

I hope the dead stay dead. That include the revenants, even though being a revenant doesn't fit Kung Lao at all (imo).

And I can't think of a character introduced in Mortal Kombat X that is comparable or worse to the garbage they introduced in MKD~A. The only great character from these games is Kenshi and thankfully he is in MKX. I mean, if you are judging the quality of the character by what they add to the story, then a couple of the classic characters are completely worthless.

Shane86

Tried to play this at a friend's place on pc with a 360 controller, my god that d-pad is impossible to use. I'll buy the ps4 version eventually, don't think I can justify dropping €56 on this

Speaking of dead characters. wasn't Liu Kang killed off a while back?

edit: I love how they've implemented the brutalities, they're kind of surprise fatalities.

Dr. Buni

And the Kombat Kids are just straight up boring and generic, sorry. All 4 of them suck, and I'd replace all 4 of them for 1 other character.
Eh, I think Cassie and Kung Jin are nice characters. Still a bit underveloped, but both are in the right way. I will take them over Reptiles, Barakas and Jades. Jacqui and Takeda are a bit bland, though.

Tried to play this at a friend's place on pc with a 360 controller, my god that d-pad is impossible to use. I'll buy the ps4 version eventually, don't think I can justify dropping €56 on this

The XB1 controller works on PC which has a better dpad.

Mizerman

In the old timeline in Deadly Alliance, yep.

In the new timeline? Yep.

ZangBa

I hope the dead stay dead. That include the revenants, even though being a revenant doesn't fit Kung Lao at all (imo).

And I can't think of a character introduced in Mortal Kombat X that is comparable or worse to the garbage they introduced in MKD~A. The only great character from these games is Kenshi and thankfully he is in MKX. I mean, if you are judging the quality of the character by what they add to the story, then a couple of the classic characters are completely worthless.

I feel like Hotaru and Havik have more potential to add to the story with their realms included. I wouldn't mind an overhauled Shujinko, either.

And a lot of classic characters are indeed worthless to the story, no one should be pointless, every character should some kind of goal and progression.

LakeEarth

Have you ever played Street Fighter 4? You can make the ultra do next to no damage with just 4-5 hits into the combo. In 3rd Strike, normals wouldn't scale much, but specials would scale hard. IIRC low forward -> super with Ken would do more damage than low forward -> fireball -> super. If not, it was a negligible increase.

Cassie/Kung Jin are the best I'm that group. IMO.

But I mostly enjoy them because they don't have gadgets. I honestly thought Takeda would have gotten some telekinesis, but he only got the whole telepathy thing.

ZangBa

I like Takeda from a gameplay standpoint but that's about it. I'm ok with Cassie as long as Sonya and Johnny die off, or retire. I forget Jacqui exists sometimes and Kung Jin, I don't like him that much but he can grow on me eventually.

Yaari

Will have to see if Sony will give the thumbs up for the refund request but atleast it has been forwarded.

I will pick the game up in a store I guess. Sad that the $$ is stuck on my US account but whatever.

Yes. I've wanted to see Reptile find out most of his race was kept alive but enslaved in secret for the sole purpose of producing acid for the acid pit and as an ingredient for Tsung's experiments. I wanted him to be a coward-come-hero for his race but they keep coming up with these what ifs for his endings and making him a servant for the villain of the moment. That is a great starting point, but he needs to progress.

I mostly liked the new characters. Even the Kombat Kids were well designed in terms of their movesets and looks (though I think Jaqui and Takeda are the weaker links of the two... Cassie and Kung Jin are very good additions).

Ferra/Torr and Erron Black are interestingly designed but didn't have much story presence so it was hard to really get a read on them.

Kotal Kahn has a very cool design and I think that he was a really good character in the comics and his own chapter in the story but uhh...
his character gets sorta assassinated in everything after.

D'vorah is the strongest of the bunch I think. She gets shit done and is ruthless and her design is really gross and imaginative. Also she is a female character that was designed without sex appeal (unless you're into some really freaky shit) which I always appreciate. I was just slightly disappointed with her role in the story
when she turned out to be a henchman for Shinnok, however I feel like if her arcade ending was anything to go by, she was just using him as another stepping stone just like she used Kotal.

I am still not able to launch MKX, keep getting an error :(. Anyone else having this problem?? Started happening since i updated it yesterday.

Cassie/Kung Jin are the best I'm that group. IMO.

But I mostly enjoy them because they don't have gadgets. I honestly thought Takeda would have gotten some telekinesis, but he only got the whole telepathy thing.
In a sequel, these characters should have variations that match their families/mentors/etc. Takeda should have a Kenshi and a Scorpion variation, for instance. That goes for skins as well to keep fans happy.

Khezu

I'll be honest and say I feel like some of these new characters are just as bad as the ones they added in Deception/Armageddon (never played Deadly Alliance). Design wise, they look a lot better and more unique, but they have a way bigger budget now. As far as introducing them and including them in the lore of the universe, they are lacking.

Erron Black looks and sounds pretty cool, but can anyone say he really adds anything? If they took him out no one would notice. He exists in the story to lose a couple times and that's it. If he actually killed
Rain in Chapter 2
I would be ok with him because at least he'd do something worthwhile.

D'vorah gets my seal of approval for getting some shit done and having a reason to exist. I hated the fact she
ended up being Shinnok's pawn, though, come on fuck that, she was cool solo, don't make her some lame lackey of that lame ass Shinnok.

I thought Kotal Kahn was going to be cool but I guess they intended me to feel like he's the pansiest leader in existence? Where are his credentials? He just gets
mollywhopped by Kung Jin early on in the story,
he's supposed to be the emperor!

Because despite the writers having fun making a silly story, at the end of the day, it's still a fighting game.
They create characters for the purpose of making interesting characters to play as.

They didn't make Erron Black a character because they needed a cowboy to show up in the story mode, they made him because someone thought cowboys were rad and wanted a character that used six shooters.

Ferra/Torr was added because MK lacked big characters and true grappler style characters, and the dual character thing brought unique mechanics to the table.

The 3D era characters were hated and forgotten, because gameplay wise, most of them were either clones of other characters, or just had very bland movesets and mechanics. Were as all the MKX newcomers are much more fun to play and bring new styles to MK.

Yaari

Just wondering but Goro was included in every case right? I'm currently ordering a Physical EU copy of the game.

Sony said they will process the refund request so I'm hoping that it will get handled. I usually get shut down before that, so we'll see.

ZangBa

The 3D era characters were hated and forgotten, because gameplay wise, most of them were either clones of other characters, or just had very bland movesets and mechanics. Were as all the MKX newcomers are much more fun to play and bring new styles to MK.

It's basically my point that these newcomers would be just as shit as those if it weren't for the better budget they have now. If Havik was first included in MKX and Ferra/Torr was in MKD, I'd guarantee Havik would be more well received as a new character, and Ferra/Torr would just be some hated shit character with bad gameplay in the past.

My problem is they're repeating the same mistakes story-wise with these characters as they have in the past, they just have a better budget and gameplay mechanics so it doesn't seem as bad.

Eh, I think Cassie and Kung Jin are nice characters. Still a bit underveloped, but both are in the right way. I will take them over Reptiles, Barakas and Jades. Jacqui and Takeda are a bit bland, though.

I think they're all good except Jacqui. She's a really boring design and, I dunno she feels... too small, if that makes sense? There's nothing that stands out about her character, she's just some lady. The gauntlets aren't even really mentioned in the story. The other 3 all have distinctive looks are personalities but Jacqui is so boring. I like some of her combat dialogue but it doesn't suit her at all. Her design is busy but bland, and unmemorable. She is without a doubt the worst.

Also with Cassie in the game they either need to get rid of Johnny and Sonya or drastically update them. Sonya is really boring, all of her costumes suck. Johnny is just there, way too much focus on him for my liking. I honestly don't think they know what to do in terms of the story. The series has a face, it's Scorpion, it has been Scorpion forever. Liu Kang got dropped and nobody gave a shit because he sucked. They tried making the player the main character, and that turned out horribly.
Scorpion could have ended everything so early by killing Quan Chi but Sonya and Johnny fucked it up. Oh but we could have got our friends back! You know, like that crazy bitch that murdered everybody, messed up face man, a random cop, not smoke, nightwolf(remember me dudes?! I was there for like 5 seconds!)
, and Liu and Kitana I guess. So, there were at least 2 worth saving. But I think the both of them would agree that it would be for the greater good to just kill Quan Chi.

Scorp should be the lead role, he gets shit done. He's the poster boy of the series. It seems so obvious to have him lead the story. But he's always a bit player.

It's basically my point that these newcomers would be just as shit as those if it weren't for the better budget they have now. If Havik was first included in MKX and Ferra/Torr was in MKD, I'd guarantee Havik would be more well received as a new character, and Ferra/Torr would just be some hated shit character with bad gameplay in the past.

My problem is they're repeating the same mistakes story-wise with these characters as they have in the past, they just have a better budget and gameplay mechanics so it doesn't seem as bad.
Uhh, what's wrong with that? People don't like Scorpion because of his character, they like him because of the gameplay. The gamepalys good so the rest follows.

^ That's ridiculous haha. Also scorpion does in this game is act like an idiot (his interaction with Sub Zero is like watching Biff Tanon talk to somebody) and fuck everything up.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Actually its been like that since MK3. I remember both smoke and kabal having longer combos that did less damage than if you removed a hit or two.

ZangBa

I think they're all good except Jacqui. She's a really boring design and, I dunno she feels... too small, if that makes sense? There's nothing that stands out about her character, she's just some lady. The gauntlets aren't even really mentioned in the story. The other 3 all have distinctive looks are personalities but Jacqui is so boring. I like some of her combat dialogue but it doesn't suit her at all. Her design is busy but bland, and unmemorable. She is without a doubt the worst.

Also with Cassie in the game they either need to get rid of Johnny and Sonya or drastically update them. Sonya is really boring, all of her costumes suck. Johnny is just there, way too much focus on him for my liking. I honestly don't think they know what to do in terms of the story. The series has a face, it's Scorpion, it has been Scorpion forever. Liu Kang got dropped and nobody gave a shit because he sucked. They tried making the player the main character, and that turned out horribly.
Scorpion could have ended everything so early by killing Quan Chi but Sonya and Johnny fucked it up. Oh but we could have got our friends back! You know, like that crazy bitch that murdered everybody, messed up face man, a random cop, not smoke, nightwolf(remember me dudes?! I was there for like 5 seconds!)
, and Liu and Kitana I guess. So, there were at least 2 worth saving. But I think the both of them would agree that it would be for the greater good to just kill Quan Chi.

Scorp should be the lead role, he gets shit done. He's the poster boy of the series. It seems so obvious to have him lead the story. But he's always a bit player.

Hey now, you take that back.
Stryker beat 4 guys within 10 minutes, including Kintaro. He's the best cop in the universe, I mean, Quan Chi brought him back instead of Jade, so there you go.

Uhh, what's wrong with that? People don't like Scorpion because of his character, they like him because of the gameplay. The gamepalys good so the rest follows.

^ That's ridiculous haha. Also scorpion does in this game is act like an idiot (his interaction with Sub Zero is like watching Biff Tanon talk to somebody) and fuck everything up.

Uh, ok. I like Scorpion more as a character than actually playing him, I don't really like playing as him at all.

Hey now, you take that back.
Stryker beat 4 guys within 10 minutes, including Kintaro. He's the best cop in the universe, I mean, Quan Chi brought him back instead of Jade, so there you go.

Uh, ok. I like Scorpion more as a character than actually playing him, I don't really like playing as him at all.

That's really weird dude. I don't know, I just think it's weird that your argument is that the characters would be uninteresting if they weren't made to be interesting :p

Nuszka

Will have to see if Sony will give the thumbs up for the refund request but atleast it has been forwarded.

I will pick the game up in a store I guess. Sad that the $$ is stuck on my US account but whatever.

Just to check, what was the reason you stated for the refund. I am in the same boat.

ZangBa

That's really weird dude. I don't know, I just think it's weird that your argument is that the characters would be uninteresting if they weren't made to be interesting :p

I'm not talking about gameplay here. Obviously good gameplay is going to affect the way people think of a character. I'm just saying you look at the story and think what purpose do these characters have in the lore, and some of these characters are just as bad as some of the characters they had in the PS2 era.

Khezu

But that didn't happen, Ferra/Torr were introduced in a game where NRS knew what the fuck they were doing, and Havik wasn't.

The story doesn't matter, and should not dictate who is in the game. I don't need them to justify having a fucking cowboy on the roster, I just want to play as the cowboy.

Top Bottom