• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

stn

Rain and co. are going to be released in a "story pack DLC" set, Boon more-or-less confirmed it on Twitter. Also, Cassie is awesome. I don't even play her much but she's a great character.

Gurrry

Jacqui/Jax and Johnny/Cassie play literally nothing like each other. What did they change about Sub that you dislike?

My main issue is that I hate all of his combo starters. I used to love his long reaching 22 ice ball combo in MK9 and in this game there is nothing like that, or anything that ive really liked so far.

Other issue is I had a good strategy based around the ice clone, but im stuck into that variant if I want to use it.

I get that cassie/johnny/sonya arent the same. I guess what I meant was that Rain is a pretty unique character, and having 5 military people all from the same families is a little redundant.

I guess you could say that about the ninjas too, but they have undergone such a transformation over the years that they arent really all "different colored ninjas" anymore.

Slurmer

Banned
Ok so I have a few things I need to get off my chest

1) I have been a sub main since OG MK. I absolutely hate the changes they made to him for this game. Maybe I just need more time with him, but hes just not what he used to be. It really saddens me. I feel like Scorpion didnt get as big of a rehaul as Sub did. (although I havent really tried Scorpion yet, but from what ive seen, he seems to be the same).

2) I know everyone keeps saying "oh those dlc characters in story mode dont have the full move set", but jesus christ NRS.. But why bother putting in Rain + all of this moves from MK9 if you arent even going to let us use him? Seriously, we needed 2 Jax's and 2 Johnny cages but no Rain? Same with Tanya, she may not have everything, but she seemed plenty complete to me when I faced her in the campaign.

Idk, just alot about this game is fucking awesome. But then theres an equal amount of head scratching decisions that I dont get.

Grandmaster sub feels like one of the best characters in the game. Like you don't even need to be good at fighting games to win with him.

Indignate

I get that cassie/johnny/sonya arent the same. I guess what I meant was that Rain is a pretty unique character, and having 5 military people all from the same families is a little redundant. I guess you could say that about the ninjas, but they have undergone such a transformation over the years that they arent really all "different colored ninjas" anymore.

And they aren't really all "different colored military people."

Fmal

Banned
My main issue is that I hate all of his combo starters. I used to love his long reaching 22 ice ball combo in MK9 and in this game there is nothing like that, or anything that ive really liked so far.

Other issue is I had a good strategy based around the ice clone, but im stuck into that variant if I want to use it.

I get that cassie/johnny/sonya arent the same. I guess what I meant was that Rain is a pretty unique character, and having 5 military people all from the same families is a little redundant.

I guess you could say that about the ninjas too, but they have undergone such a transformation over the years that they arent really all "different colored ninjas" anymore.

I don't understand your point. Jacqui and Jax are as far apart from each other as Jax and Rain. Why does the lore bother you that much?

ZangBa

Rain and co. are going to be released in a "story pack DLC" set, Boon more-or-less confirmed it on Twitter. Also, Cassie is awesome. I don't even play her much but she's a great character.

Ehh, kinda an assumption. Boon says a lot things that are just trolling, too.

And yeah, Grandmaster Sub is like the best he's ever been. So good.

Grandmaster sub feels like one of the best characters in the game. Like you don't even need to be good at fighting games to win with him.

lol you don't even need combos in player match with him. People fear the clone, they fucking FEAR it. It just automatically shuts down so much offense from randoms. And if they have a teleport, the free punishes are just so sweet. Bait all dayyyyyy.

Xevren

22 wasn't even that good for sub in mk9 lol. This is the best sub has been in a long time, grandmaster is fantastic. Cryo isn't bad either.

16BitNova

Which is kind of bullshit because the characters were obviously done already but now we have to pay for something already in the game. Dumb.

Fmal

Banned
Which is kind of bullshit because the characters were obviously done already but now we have to pay for something already in the game. Dumb.

None of the story characters had variations or fatalities. They're barely "already in the game."

And more to the point, if you think they're too expensive, don't spend the money on them.

16BitNova

None of the story characters had variations or fatalities. They're barely "already in the game."

And more to the point, if you think they're too expensive, don't spend the money on them.

I don't think they're too expensive. It's just I see them, I can fight them, so I figured they are pretty much set and thus why do I have to pay. But, I didn't know about the lack of variations and all. Good point. I just want Jason already!

Boon also more or less "confirmed" that this game was gonna have Sweet Tooth on PS4 and Marcus Fenix on XB1 via Twitter.

He trolls a lot. It's best not to assume anything until it's officially announced.

Fmal

Banned
God i love mileena, its so cheap but i cant seem to lose.

Her Piercing groove is my pick for best character in the game. Some of the best best zoning, great strings, high meterless damage, and a teleport. She seems like the most complete package.

Ok so I have a few things I need to get off my chest

1) I have been a sub main since OG MK. I absolutely hate the changes they made to him for this game. Maybe I just need more time with him, but hes just not what he used to be. It really saddens me. I feel like Scorpion didnt get as big of a rehaul as Sub did. (although I havent really tried Scorpion yet, but from what ive seen, he seems to be the same).

I don't like that they took away his ice puddle. It was borderline useless in the last game, so I was hoping they would speed it up in this one

Grady

Her Piercing groove is my pick for best character in the game. Some of the best best zoning, great strings, high meterless damage, and a teleport. She seems like the most complete package.

Its sooooo good. I just go on 20-30 win streaks like nothing. Until i run into that one person that knows how to shut her down.

BizzyBum

This game is a better meter system and skippable X-Rays away from being my favorite fighter to play online.

And a much better netcode. I feel like I'm playing underwater compared to offline and it's a struggle to get my character to do exactly what I want all the time.

X-rays are cool at first but with them being a single cutscene every time they get tiresome rather quickly. It's also kinda dumb how I just shattered someone's spine and carved their eyes out with an X-ray but the fight proceeds like nothing happened. lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've mostly been playing Cyromancer Sub, actually, and it's mostly because the freeze -> hammer, hammer, hammer combo is so nice. it feels almost like a Rekka. his in-air hammer is pretty sweet too.

I should try Grandmaster some more. I keep hearing good things about it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm just not enjoying this game as much as mk9. controls just don't feel good. I feel like I'm fighting my ds4 and not my opponents. The timing and precision of combos and strings are all over the place. The sad part is I'm still consistently winning online matches even though I'm struggling with the controls. I've change the options in the wireless control menu several times with equal results. went ahead and put my order in for the new hori pad but it still wont be here till next month. man, if changing the controller doesn't help with my issues then I'm going to lose it.

And yeah I agree they gimped the hell outta sub. His normal ice ball is just painfully too slow.
Him, Melina and Kung lao are my mains.

Fmal

Banned
And a much better netcode. I feel like I'm playing underwater compared to offline and it's a struggle to get my character to do exactly what I want all the time.

X-rays are cool at first but with them being a single cutscene every time they get tiresome rather quickly. It's also kinda dumb how I just shattered someone's spine and carved their eyes out with an X-ray but the fight proceeds like nothing happened. lol

I think X-Rays are bad because they trick bad players into thinking saving their meter is better than using it to extend combos or get safe wake ups. They're a good way to close out the match if your opponent is sitting on a breaker, but 90% of the time you're going to be better off using it to get an extra 10-15% out of your combos.

They're also lame because if you run over your opponent in the first round, you'll likely be at zero meter (you don't get any for hitting non-blocking opponents for some reason), but your opponent will be fully stocked. You either have to accept that you're going to eat 32% damage at some point in the round, or play around it and slow the game down ever more than the dumb long X-Ray cutscene does.

Alfredo

I know everyone keeps saying "oh those dlc characters in story mode dont have the full move set", but jesus christ NRS.. But why bother putting in Rain + all of this moves from MK9 if you arent even going to let us use him? Seriously, we needed 2 Jax's and 2 Johnny cages but no Rain?

Rain and the other returning MK9 characters seemed super barebones in their inclusion in story mode. They have the exact same normals and animations as their MK9 counterparts, it's just they can run now and some of their special moves have been dressed up with extra particle effects. I'm sure if you could play as MK X Rain as he is now, you could use the exact same combos and such as you could in MK9.

Every returning character in the main roster had their normals and animations completely redone for the most part. They play differently from their MK9 versions, and were balanced for the rest of the MK X cast. If you plop a character straight from MK9 without any changes like with Rain, that would probably kill the balance of the game. That's some MUGEN-ass BS right there.

...but it would be fun if they put in like a "Rain Living Tower" thing where you could play as him without messing with the game's competitive balance, like how you could play as the bosses and Tremor in the MK9 challenge towers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I noticed last night that the "Use every character's X-ray" trophy still hasn't popped for me. That's bizarre. I thought I'd done all of them, including Goro's. Is there some situation in which it wouldn't count? Like in Practice, for instance?

Kinsei

Banned
I noticed last night that the "Use every character's X-ray" trophy still hasn't popped for me. That's bizarre. I thought I'd done all of them, including Goro's. Is there some situation in which it wouldn't count? Like in Practice, for instance?

Practice probably doesn't count. I know it doesn't for fatalities and I don't see why X-rays would be different.

Fmal

Banned
So how long are people waiting to find matches? Sitting here for a few minutes, guess it's really strict on ping....

Just get in a KotH lobby and never leave if you want quick games imo. It takes me like 3-4 minutes to find a ranked match, but KotH games start up one right after the other.

Fmal

Banned
I grew up enough waiting in a big ass line with a quarter on the glass, I've had enough of that. I don't really like having a huge percentage of my playtime just waiting.

At least if you go on a streak you get a lot of games in rapid succession. Win or lose, you're doing a whole shitload of waiting in Ranked/Player matches.

If it's any consolation, 90% of the people that play this game are total dogshit so you'll likely go on fairly lengthy streaks in KotH as long as you can block and punish teleports and slides.

Ferrio

Banned
At least if you go on a streak you get a lot of games in rapid succession. Win or lose, you're doing a whole shitload of waiting in Ranked/Player matches.

If it's any consolation, 90% of the people that play this game are total dogshit so you'll likely go on fairly lengthy streaks in KotH as long as you can block and punish teleports and slides.

The other reason is the varying pings between people.

I'm still getting a ton of input lag when I try to play online. Quarter second or more. It sucks because I can't punish any of the "cheap" moves that would otherwise have a dangerous recovery time.

Sillution

Is anyone using a fightstick online? Im using a Mad Catz Tournament Edition 2 PS4 fight stick and it seems to have quite a delay in the time i press the button and the action in the game.

zlatko

Banned
I'm still getting a ton of input lag when I try to play online. Quarter second or more. It sucks because I can't punish any of the "cheap" moves that would otherwise have a dangerous recovery time.

I have run into this. While my online experience has been good, the best example is god damn Ermac teleport spam.

I can punish all other teleports, but every time I try to punish Ermac with a throw as my fastest option, he can tech it, or I get uppercutted through it. WTF?!

Ugh.

Fmal

Banned
Is anyone using a fightstick online? Im using a Mad Catz Tournament Edition 2 PS4 fight stick and it seems to have quite a delay in the time i press the button and the action in the game.

That has less to do with the stick and more to do with this game's whack net code.

Top Bottom