• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

zlatko

Banned
Cassie C can shoot a pistol to break ice clones.

She can also hold down and forward at the same time plus 1 to shoot low into an overhead flip animation to break clones.

Make the second safe by shooting low then canceling into her down back 2.

Match up is now in Cassie's favor lol.

Manu

I dunno if anybody else feels this way, but it bugs me that Liu Kang, Kitana, and Kung Lao
appear as normal humans as their default costumes, since it doesn't actually happen in canon
. I get why they did it, especially for new players and people who don't follow/care about the story, but it still annoys me.

Some of the ladder endings reference story mode so they appear to be canon. Kung Jin's ending followed by Kung Lao's might explain what happened.

E the Shaggy

Anyone else finding the amount of Koins you earn to be ridiculous? I've finished the campaign, about 7 living towers, test your might and 6/7 Klassic Towers and I've still got hardly any koins for the amount of stuff in the Krypt.

Ehhh I'm ok with it. There's a couple of places in the Krypt that give you a serious amount of coins just for walking around/discovering items.

Anyone else finding the amount of Koins you earn to be ridiculous? I've finished the campaign, about 7 living towers, test your might and 6/7 Klassic Towers and I've still got hardly any koins for the amount of stuff in the Krypt.
I just learned about the kombat kard system last night. You need to edit your card to get the max xp/fxp and then grind your way to better items for your kard that will help you earn more xp.

It's in the offline match history section. In there is also a section where it tells you what level your fatalities, brutalities, throws, flawless victories, etc are. You need to level these up as well.

This is how I kinda cheesed the grinding. Set matches to one round in gameplay options, go to two player kustom kombat (need 2 controllers), pick a character that can easily do a brutality (I used Kung Lao because all you have to do is throw and keep hitting the punch buttons fast during throw), and then just won 100 matches via brutality with him and got some cards that can earn xp/fxp/koins much faster.

edit: I should clarify that eventually you can get cards that earn you +500 koins a match (theres 3 types of cards so I'm assuming this can get you up to +1500 koins a match), so this is why its important to level this thing up. This is how they intended people to earn koins, but they didn't explain the system AT ALL. That being said, in a way I'm kinda finding the unlocks in this game kinda Fez like at the moment because this game has been out a week and people still don't know EVERYTHING thats in there. I remember that on day 1 everyone already knew everything that was in MK9.

Chairhome

Beat Story mode last night. Pretty good. Not as long and as interesting as MK9's (probably due to the "I'm playing the original trilogy remixed!" factor of MK9), but it was fun enough. I've been reading the comics too, never would have thought I would be so invested in MK lore.

Been doing a few of the traditional towers to earn koins, endings, and to try out all the characters. Kano was more fun than I thought he'd be. I still haven't figured out who I want to main. And add me to the list of "Grandmaster Sub is overpowered" victims.

Trickster

I uh, find that a bit hard to believe. You should have earned more than 300k koins after doing that. I mean you should have gotten more than a 100 or 150k koins from the campaign ( I had almost 200k koins after doing 1 or 2 towers plus campaign ), and you get more than 30k koins per tower. So unless you target the most expensive things in the krypt first, you should have a large chunk of the krypt unlocked.

Oh and of course the krypt itself has a fair number of graves that just give you koins.

Cassie C can shoot a pistol to break ice clones.

She can also hold down and forward at the same time plus 1 to shoot low into an overhead flip animation to break clones.

Make the second safe by shooting low then canceling into her down back 2.

Match up is now in Cassie's favor lol.

Shooting the ice clones with the bf1 move opens you up for a slide in my experience, or just a new ice clone.

I haven't really messed with the cancel mechanic yet. But doing that consumes a bar of meter right? If not then yeah that's a good way to deal with it. But otherwise I think the ice clone still seems like a bitch for Cassie to fight against.

drotahorror

I uh, find that a bit hard to believe. You should have earned more than 300k koins after doing that. I mean you should have gotten more than a 100 or 150k koins from the campaign ( I had almost 200k koins after doing 1 or 2 towers plus campaign ), and you get more than 30k koins per tower. So unless you target the most expensive things in the krypt first, you should have a large chunk of the krypt unlocked.

Oh and of course the krypt itself has a fair number of graves that just give you koins.

What towers are you doing for 30k?

Living Towers only give about 3-5k and that's getting Gold and having gold modifiers on your kombat kard.

Story mode rewards roughly 50k. The Krypt gives about 50k when fully unlocked.

I just grinded 88k and that was doing dozens of living towers, an endless tower, 6 online tower battles (won 5 of them), 8 challenge towers (i think) 5 king of the hill wins, 1 survivor win and 2 player match wins. Also a few of the new faction tower thing can't remember what it's called at the moment but it just opened last night.

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member

I've probably had just over 150k Koins, which isn'y much for the Krypt. I'm not hating on the game, just trying to get the most out of it! I want to unlock everything I can possibly get my greedy mits on. Any advice?

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
I just learned about the kombat kard system last night. You need to edit your card to get the max xp/fxp and then grind your way to better items for your kard that will help you earn more xp.

It's in the offline match history section. In there is also a section where it tells you what level your fatalities, brutalities, throws, flawless victories, etc are. You need to level these up as well.

Cheers mate, will try this out tonight :)

Trickster

What towers are you doing for 30k?

Living Towers only give about 3-5k and that's getting Gold and having gold modifiers on your kombat kard.

Story mode rewards roughly 50k. The Krypt gives about 50k when fully unlocked.

I just grinded 88k and that was doing dozens of living towers, an endless tower, 6 online tower battles (won 5 of them), 8 challenge towers (i think) 5 king of the hill wins, 1 survivor win and 2 player match wins. Also a few of the new faction tower thing can't remember what it's called at the moment but it just opened last night.

Every tower I have done, regardless of number of enemies, difficulty, traditional or living type and so on, have given me 30k-ish koins at the end, every single one.

If you or other aren't getting that, I have no idea why not.

I play on pc, though that shouldn't matter right?

I've probably had just over 150k Koins, which isn'y much for the Krypt. I'm not hating on the game, just trying to get the most out of it! I want to unlock everything I can possibly get my greedy mits on. Any advice?

I honestly just did campaign and maybe around a dozen towers over a couple of days to get the koins needed to unlock everything in the krypt. Getting 30k+ koins per tower, regardless of what kind it was, made me just choose quickest possible tower and did that tower a couple of times each "grind session", though I'd hardly call that a grind.

Chairhome

"Hotshot Johnny Cage: Unlocked by beating 10 survival games."

What is a survival game?

Survival Tower

Every tower I have done, regardless of number of enemies, difficulty, traditional or living type and so on, have given me 30k-ish koins at the end, every single one.

I'm on XB1. Definitely not getting that many for towers. I've been doing traditional towers and also getting less than 6k per tower.

Trickster

I'm on XB1. Definitely not getting that many for towers. I've been doing traditional towers and also getting less than 6k per tower.

That sounds real shitty then. Those 30k per tower was definitely what made me feel the krypt did seem that bad.

I'll go do a tower now and see if I still get 30k

Septic360

Banned
Man my fears have been realised. The netcode is utter wank in this.

Its the same old story now. Find a chat room that is UK only and then try and fight someone there because searching for games the usual method lands you with people outside of region and not once have I seen the green connection bar.

Its really shitty because you work so hard learning combos but you have to throw that out of the window when you play the game because of the delay. In the rare instance that it does work, its simply sublime.

More often that not, its just a case of fighting turtling opponents who have a symbiotic relationship with the block button. Or players who pick Goro and spam the same 3 moves, the punch flurry, the overhead stomp and the ground pound (dont know the names).

I've done a review here:

http://www.gameondaily.com/mortal-kombat-x-review-short-of-a-flawless-victory/

Still, I'm going to spend a lot of time on practice mode and learn some combos with a few players. I still haven't found THAT character. In MK9, when I picked Kung Lao I instantly realised he was the chosen one. With this, I'm not sure.

drotahorror

Wtf how did you make him explode?

God Fists living tower modifier. Hit them in second round with it (it would 1 shot as you can see 200%+ dmg from it)

That sounds real shitty then. Those 30k per tower was definitely what made me feel the krypt did seem that bad.

I'll go do a tower now and see if I still get 30k

That's nuts. Definitely not the case on consoles. 300 per match doing combos, 500 for a challenge, about 1k bonus for getting gold in living towers. (w/o gold bonus's on kard) Add gold bonus and you're getting 2-300 more per match (more if you have some good unlocks but not that much more).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
everytime i go to do anything with factions its always unavaliable / says nothing going on right now. so are these timed based if so its bullshit.

I think the problem is that the netcode is worse, but only bad if you have a bad connection if that makes sense. If you have it set up well, you'll almost never have lag, but a worse level connection that's good for SF4 isn't good enough for this.

It's a shame I guess, but I can't say I've ever had a problem after >100 matches.

Yea I play Cassie Brawler too and it's a painful match up.

Kotal's #1 problem is everyone in outrealm with any kind of power hates him or wants the throne for themselves lmao. He needs to hold his own tournament and just murder everyone who shows up.

Kung Jin would just beat him.

Messi

Guys, how do I unlock
Dark Empress
Kitana?
I have got gold on the hourly tower 5 times
but its not unlocking :(

BizzyBum

They want you to spend the $20 to unlock it.

Indignate

Go to Endless Tower
Lose first match
Earn 30K
Repeat as necessary

This totally works on PC. Not sure if rewards on consoles are gimped as some here are indicating.

I honestly just did campaign and maybe around a dozen towers over a couple of days to get the koins needed to unlock everything in the krypt. Getting 30k+ koins per tower, regardless of what kind it was, made me just choose quickest possible tower and did that tower a couple of times each "grind session", though I'd hardly call that a grind.

Holy crap. I get maybe 8-9k koins for completing the Klassic tower. I don't think I'm ever going to unlock everything in the krypt.

Trickster

Okay so I just tested what I got for doing a living tower on PC, did the hourly tower, which was 5 enemies. Took at screenshot after beating the first and last guy, look at the difference in gold. Had around 6k gold after beating the 4th guy. So yeah

After beating first guy
YKjjBIF.jpg

After beating last guy

Fun fact, got my achievement for beating 10 living towers with this one, and I have definitely not done more than 4-5 traditional/klassic towers

Indignate

25 koins on console for that.

Consoles are seriously gimped then. Completing any tower rewards 30K (losing on endless counts as a completion for some reason).

Maybe it's NS's way of making it up to PC gamers since we don't get the pleasure of having an option to give them $20 to unlock everything.

Trickster

Maybe High Voltage thought the koin rewards were shit on the console version, and decided to sneak this into the pc version lol. Based High Voltage!

Go to Endless Tower
Lose first match
Earn 30K
Repeat as necessary

This totally works on PC. Not sure if rewards on consoles are gimped as some here are indicating.

Okay so I just tested what I got for doing a living tower on PC, did the hourly tower, which was 5 enemies. Took at screenshot after beating the first and last guy, look at the difference in gold. Had around 6k gold after beating the 4th guy. So yeah

After beating first guy

After beating last guy

Fun fact, got my achievement for beating 10 living towers with this one, and I have definitely not done more than 4-5 traditional/klassic towers

Sounds like that's a reward for buying a broken game :p

I've completed a lot of towers and never had more than ~10,000 after beating one, and that was definitely with having a decent amount of coins beforehand. I still had way less than 100,000 after being the entire story mode, and after playing online with all of the extra gold stuff I never have more than 1,000 or so extra.

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
Maybe High Voltage thought the koin rewards were shit on the console version, and decided to sneak this into the pc version lol. Based High Voltage!

Apparently Neatherealm put in a day one patch that reduced the amount of koins awarded - maybe this is why things are taking ages to unlock? I've even succumbed to getting the iOS app to try and get a bit more dollar (and some alternate costumes).

Trickster

Go to Endless Tower
Lose first match
Earn 30K
Repeat as necessary

HAHAHA WTF

Just tried this, got 36k for standing still and letting Jax get 2 flawless rounds on me.

omg lol

Apparently Neatherealm put in a day one patch that reduced the amount of koins awarded - maybe this is why things are taking ages to unlock? I've even succumbed to getting the iOS app to try and get a bit more dollar (and some alternate costumes).

The day 1 patch that reduced the amount of koins awarded story is wrong. People didn't realize you get way less koins for doing the same thing twice.

drotahorror

30k seems like too much honestly. I've done 69 living towers. I would have over 2 million coins.

Gurrry

So how do you guys not run when youre trying to dash block? Having it tied to the block button is really starting to mess my shit up.

They shouldve gotten rid of the completely useless stance change and tied the run to that. I havent tried changing the button mapping, so hopefully you can change it... But i have a feeling you can not.

Sigmaah

Asking here since no reply in FGW thread.

When I get knocked down, I know for a fact I'm getting up, blocking low and still getting hit. I'll be on the ground, they'll do their combo shit, I won't get hit but the minute I get up and block low I'll get hit. Da fuq am I doing wrong. I wasn't getting hit with an overhead before u say it's that.

Also, why tf do all characters have super armor?

How tf do I stop someone from waking up with some random shit? Like how do I beat their wake up?

If it helps I'm playing cutthroat kano.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm something like 30-50 online. All my wins came early on when I was maining Scorpion and Kung Jin. But these guys are so overpowered I've been trying to learn someone that requires much more overall skill and finesse.

So I've chosen Cassie. It's been rough--one night I think I went 3-20. I lost to someone's D'Vorah maybe 10 times in a row. I think I'm really starting to get in the groove now, tho. Her EX gun shot is devastating, I think around 14% damage. Whip that out and people are terrified to play a distance game. When they come close her game really starts to shine--so many great combos like FP, FP, ->FK, FK, FK which does tons of damage. With the Hollywood version you can end combos with the nutshot then cartwheel which does good damage. Also what's effective is getting in close then backing out with her cartwheel to EX gunshot. Cartwheel can get you out of any corner jam, excellent tool at wakeup.

Gurrry

Asking here since no reply in FGW thread.

When I get knocked down, I know for a fact I'm getting up, blocking low and still getting hit. I'll be on the ground, they'll do their combo shit, I won't get hit but the minute I get up and block low I'll get hit. Da fuq am I doing wrong. I wasn't getting hit with an overhead before u say it's that.

Also, why tf do all characters have super armor?

How tf do I stop someone from waking up with some random shit? Like how do I beat their wake up?

If it helps I'm playing cutthroat kano.

Dash up to them while theyre knocked down and block. They do their wakeup, you punish.

As far as getting hit while blocking, im not sure unless i actually see it.

ChuckNyce

I'm something like 30-50 online. All my wins came early on when I was maining Scorpion and Kung Jin. But these guys are so overpowered I've been trying to learn someone that requires much more overall skill and finesse.

So I've chosen Cassie. It's been rough--one night I think I went 3-20. I lost to someone's D'Vorah maybe 10 times in a row. I think I'm really starting to get in the groove now, tho. Her EX gun shot is devastating, I think around 14% damage. Whip that out and people are terrified to play a distance game. When they come close her game really starts to shine--so many great combos like FP, FP, ->FK, FK, FK which does tons of damage. With the Hollywood version you can end combos with the nutshot then cartwheel which does good damage. Also what's effective is getting in close then backing out with her cartwheel to EX gunshot. Cartwheel can get you out of any corner jam, excellent tool at wakeup.

Good shit, love me some Cassie, she's got a nice moveset. I'm doing pretty well in ranked with her thus far. I keep telling myself I'm going to play around with some of the other characters but I keep coming back to Cass.

Top Bottom