• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Wallach

Love this game, but xrays are fucking stupid. No input complexity, little risk, easy to combo into, and way too much damage. What were they thinking? And I thought up downs were bad...

They don't actually seem very useful to me outside of potentially ending a game with unbreakable damage. Most anyone can get 35%+ off one bar of meter instead of 3. Losing your entire meter on an attack that is blockable is not "no risk" with how important combo breakers and meter burned moves are, and these things scale like hell if you combo into them.

zlatko

Banned
They don't actually seem very useful to me outside of potentially ending a game with unbreakable damage. Most anyone can get 35%+ off one bar of meter instead of 3. Losing your entire meter on an attack that is blockable is not "no risk" with how important combo breakers and meter burned moves are, and these things scale like hell if you combo into them.

Very true. Especially with a character like my main Takeda.

His X-ray blows. Has to be done in the air so if you see a Takeda with 3 bars jumping around, then it's a done deal that he's fishing for it lol.

Plus, Takeda gets so much more damage off of 1-2 bars than 3 bar raw X-ray. Way better to confirm into damage than risk it on an X-ray.

On the other hand though you have D'vorah who can EASILY combo into it for 60% combos....Yeah I'll pay 3 bars for over half your health that I can confirm lol.

Too bad there is no cross play, which means there is no way for me to fight against you.

Not surprised, those portals look really cool.

I wish there was cross-play. :( Reila, why couldn't you get the PS4 version!
inb4 you have no PS4 (get a PS4 :p)

They honestly do. I thought about using it, but I chose to be the unique one. xP

OmegaDL50

Very true. Especially with a character like my main Takeda.

His X-ray blows. Has to be done in the air so if you see a Takeda with 3 bars jumping around, then it's a done deal that he's fishing for it lol.

Plus, Takeda gets so much more damage off of 1-2 bars than 3 bar raw X-ray. Way better to confirm into damage than risk it on an X-ray.

On the other hand though you have D'vorah who can EASILY combo into it for 60% combos....Yeah I'll pay 3 bars for over half your health that I can confirm lol.

It's bad enough you got some people trying to do long combo chains that scale to 31% to 32% damage by using an EX special to extend it. Yet a simple uppercut tacked on at the end of a juggle would achieve 30% damage in less hits, and not use meter.

In this case the extra 1% and wasted meter isn't going to cause a difference when the damage output is basically the same.

Also the longer a combo goes on with more hits just means the higher the chances the opponent gains meter quicker because wailing on him for those extra hits and once he lands, he'll have meter advantage AND you are one gauge less for just a meager 1 to 2% damage.

It's not really a fair trade, unless it's round two in in your favor.

Fmal

Banned
I don't see how they're any different from the super moves in other fighting games. The big difference is that the X-Ray move uses the same meter that governs your ability to break combos.

And why should the inputs be complex? It's not like a double quarter-circle to do a super in Street Fighter is exactly hard.

X-Rays and this game's meter system are like the worst parts of the Ultra system in SF4, but balanced by NRS instead of a company that at least sort of knows what they're doing.They're just long boring auto-combos that only serve one real purpose (unbreakable finishers).

What sucks most about them is that the better you're doing in a match, the less meter you gain (you don't gain meter on hit because ???). So if you run over a scrub in the first round, you go into the second round completely empty, but your opponent is going to be fully stocked. Have you tried playing Oki with no meter against an opponent with an 6f infinity-armored overhead? It sucks, and it slows the game down even more than having to watch the same canned X-Ray cutscenes over and over again.

I know fighting games have to have come back mechanics now because that Extra Life dork made a dumb video about it that everyone jacks off to , but the current system makes it feel like you're being punished for winning a match decisively, and that should never be the case in a fighting game.

Fmal

Banned
I think meter is way too important in this game to blow on an xray unless it's a finisher.

They are. But they're so easy to use, and so easy to hit, that new players are tricked into saving their meter for them instead of using them on better combos or breakers. They're bad for the game on a whole bunch of levels.

My dream patch for this game would:

1) Give the same amount of meter to the player dealing damage as the player receiving gets.
2) Make it so you can skip to the last few frames of the X-Ray by hitting some combination of buttons.
3) Add Robocop or Superman

zogged

Anyone got any hints for fighting Sub Zero? Whenever I go up against someone who spams the ice clones I can never manage to maneuver around it and kinda just end up sitting there waiting for it to go away. This is playing Cassie by the way.

zlatko

Banned
It's bad enough you got some people trying to do long combo chains that scale to 31% to 32% damage by using an EX special to extend it. Yet a simple uppercut tacked on at the end of a juggle would achieve 30% damage in less hits, and not use meter.

In this case the extra 1% and wasted meter isn't going to cause a difference when the damage output is basically the same.

Also the longer a combo goes on with more hits just means the higher the chances the opponent gains meter quicker because wailing on him for those extra hits and once he lands, he'll have meter advantage AND you are one gauge less for just a meager 1 to 2% damage.

It's not really a fair trade, unless it's round two in in your favor.

Ha! I several pages back even said I took a ton of Takeda combos that ChrisG put up in that CCTV video, and I ended them in uppercuts. Some would lose 1-3% or stay the same and simplify the execution, especially online.

Also, would anyone make an avatar in this thread out of this picture?

qnwGAy.jpg

I've just finished a 15Gb download (install 29), and I ended with another 10Gb download. The install 29 status is still not installed.
What's with this game?

Edit: Steam.

So, uh...I haven't played a MK game since the original trilogy and I just impulse bought this on Amazon. I suck at fighting games but I don't care, I want to experience MK again.

Fuck sake, I just found out that I can't play this with any of my IRL friends because they're in Europe and I'm currently living in the South America with a local copy of the game! Tried getting a private game together with a UK friend and was instead greeted to a link to PSN to buy the same region game as him. A bit of Googling later and the answer wasn't long coming. P I can't believe they region locked this shit. For general matchmaking and lobbies, sure, it makes sense to avoid lag, but when playing a private game with someone on my friends list I should be allowed to play with whomever the hell I damn please. So pissed off right now. I had no idea it was gonna be locked like this.

Looks like I might have to make some more GAF friends, I only have the two and neither of them play this. I presume the majority of you guys posting in here are in the US right? Need people to play against.

chalkitdown is my PSN ID

Goddamn, this has pissed me off something awful.

I just find it hilarious that Ferra/Torr can combo for 30% by simply doing f2, 4, Boss Toss. Three moves. Simple. Even I can pull it off regularly. Everyone else I've played as has to do like 10 moves to get to 30%, and I can only get those combos a fraction of the time.

OmegaDL50

Ha! I several pages back even said I took a ton of Takeda combos that ChrisG put up in that CCTV video, and I ended them in uppercuts. Some would lose 1-3% or stay the same and simplify the execution, especially online.

Also, would anyone make an avatar in this thread out of this picture?

I don't know if this is sufficient but it fulfills the board requirements.

FAyMdGS.jpg

Here is one with adjusted color if the one above is too dark

GpvTM9y.jpg

zlatko

Banned
I don't know if this is sufficient but it fulfills the board requirements.

FAyMdGS.jpg

Here is one with adjusted color if the one above is too dark

GpvTM9y.jpg

Appreciated, but I forgot to type I'd prefer more of a close up of his face area.

I'll post it over in the forum avatar request thread. :D

BadAss2961

Anyone got any hints for fighting Sub Zero? Whenever I go up against someone who spams the ice clones I can never manage to maneuver around it and kinda just end up sitting there waiting for it to go away. This is playing Cassie by the way.
Projectiles can get rid of them. Cassie can shoot.

OmegaDL50

Appreciated, but I forgot to type I'd prefer more of a close up of his face area.

I'll post it over in the forum avatar request thread. :D

I can do that.

EDIT: Here you go. I don't know if it's what your looking for but I tried.

DuRw9A5.jpg

I don't know if it's the way the game is displayed but the image is super dark and when shrunk down to 100x120 it's very hard to see the detail. So here's an alternative with adjusted lighting.

XUQFrvV.jpg

VashTS

Sorry about that.

I'm actually not sorry.

Try neutral jumping and hit inside of the clone without touching it. Or wait it out.

Also Cassie's down fwd gun goes straight through it.

zlatko

Banned
I can do that.

EDIT: Here you go. I don't know if it's what your looking for but I tried.

DuRw9A5.jpg

I don't know if it's the way the game is displayed but the image is super dark and when shrunk down to 100x120 it's very hard to see the detail. So here's an alternative with adjusted lighting.

XUQFrvV.jpg

Any chance you can make the background entirely white and toss in a thin black border? :p

If so then it's a done deal and set to go. :D

creatchee

Anything I can do with this one?

After the Getaway Flip/run, see if you can incorporate Blood Stain (FK, FK {A, A on Xbox}). It does more damage than the Turn Left (FP, BP {X, Y on Xbox}) that you are currently using, so you should get a slightly higher damage rate before scaling gets worse. The final combo and ender you have is fine, but you can also do Don't Blink (BP, FP, BP {Y, X, Y on Xbox}) again for an extra hit and cancel into the Take Down for a little bit more damage. Or cancel into Diving Glow Kick (B, F BK+BLK {B, F B + RT on Xbox}) if you want to burn meter and do a little more damage as well.

Let me know if any of this helps!

Spams UU, and he kept just blowing through my fast strikes.
The shitty combo was his UU into Xray.

Which character are you using? I learned to just be patient with Goro, allowing him to make the first move.

Any chance you can make the background entirely white and toss in a thin black border? :p

You unappreciative bastard. Lol. You could have at least said that from the second time.

inb4 you ask for another change after

Trickster

Man I am so tired of the input delay in this game online. I simply can't replicate anything from practice because of input delay

Where are you guys located that are having lag and input problems?

I'm in Colombia and haven't had a single issue (mid-fight that is, had plenty problems connecting and trying to get a fight up and running). 20mb internet here in Bogotá. Have had nothing but flawless games of the 40 or so I've played. May as well have been played with the other guy sat next me for how well they ran. Weird.

OmegaDL50

Sorry man. I tried. You can probably get someone to edit that background and add the border for you in the Avatar thread.

Fmal

Banned
Where are you guys located that are having lag and input problems?

I'm in Colombia and haven't had a single issue (mid-fight that is, had plenty problems connecting and trying to get a fight up and running). 20mb internet here in Bogotá. Have had nothing but flawless games of the 40 or so I've played. May as well have been played with the other guy sat next me for how well they ran. Weird.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, 30u/10d, and I get way more good games than bad.

I think people are just fucking their combos up under pressure and looking for a convenient excuse.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, 30u/10d, and I get way more good games than bad.

I think people are just fucking their combos up under pressure and looking for a convenient excuse.
Haha I would think that, but I've played a few matches with GAFers from pretty close to where I live and the lag was actually terrible, but that's pretty much the only time it's been that bad. I guess for some reason my game just matches me up to people with good connections for ranked match?

Top Bottom