• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

darkbanjo

Anyone having issues with the Xbox One version? Mine was fine, then yesterday it kicked me out when I tried to do anything. Now it can't get past the licence screen that shows when you boot the game?

creatchee

Any tips for a beginner years-removed from the series and generally terrible at fighting games?

The attacking and blocking system is paramount in all fighting games. Knowing what hits where and how to stop it from hitting you is way more important than 20 hit combos and such.

Mortal Kombat X has five basic ways of hitting an opponent:

High attacks hit high and can be blocked by holding the block button while standing. If you crouch or hold block and crouch, the attack will not hit you at all. You typically cannot jump over a high attack.

Low attacks hit low and can ONLY be blocked by by crouching and holding the block button at the same time. Standing blocks will not prevent the hit. You can usually jump over low attacks.

Mid attacks hit mid and can EITHER be blocked by holding the block button or by crouching and holding the block button at the same time. You can also crouch and the attack will not hit you. You can sometimes jump over a mid attack.

Overhead attacks hit high and can ONLY be blocked by holding block while standing. If you crouch and hold block. the attack will connect. You can still just crouch and the attach will not hit you. You typically cannot jump over an overhead attack. Note: jump attacks are considered Overheads.

Throws grab mid and require close proximity and are unblockable. You can escape a throw by hitting the throw button(s) immediately after being grabbed. There are special throws called Command Throws that require directional inputs and a button(s) to perform and cannot be escaped once the grab is initiated.

Now that you know this, research. And by research, I mean hit the practice mode. Learn the normal attacks, special attacks, and combos and see how and where they hit (the display will tell you the type of each attack when it connects). This is useful to recognize what will be coming your way when you are fighting an opponent, and also to learn mixing up attacks so that your opponent won't know what to expect.

Looking at the basic attacks, we find that:

Blocking high will stop high attacks, mid attacks, and overheads.
Blocking low will stop mid attacks and low attacks, and completely avoid high attacks.
Crouching will completely avoid high attacks, mid attacks, and overheads.

Use this knowledge to plan your attacks. Most combos that are listed on the character profile start high or mid, so they are useful more as counters rather than simply launching strings at blocking opponents. Use lows to get them blocking low and then mix in some throws. Also, many normals moves can be canceled into specials (doing a move while starting another move to string them together), so you can make up a lot of combos that start low and launch your opponents to set up a juggle. But that's more advanced stuff, so stick with the basics and go from there.

If you know how to properly attack and block, you will be better off than over half of your potential opponents.

Has anyone actually tried changing a faction and going back to their original faction?

I mean for example you left Lin Kuei at 50, and quit to join White Lotus.

Does quitting White Lotus and going back to Lin Kuei return you to level 50 Lin Kuei or are you a level 1 Lin Kuei again?

The reason I ask is one of the achievements / trophies for the game is being level 50 for all 5 factions.

I did that and my Black Dragon level 50 stuff was still reset.

BadAss2961

Anyone having issues with the Xbox One version? Mine was fine, then yesterday it kicked me out when I tried to do anything. Now it can't get past the licence screen that shows when you boot the game?
PS4 users are having the same problem. Booting the game while offline, then signing back in once it loads works.

Something like nvldmkm display driver crashing.

It happened to my old 460 SE, and something just happened to it once where a game completely crashed my PC and ever since that, practically any game would have a chance to cause the display driver to crash.

It's apparently really common because there were about 20 different solutions I found but none of them worked, I basically just bought all new parts to rid myself of it so I'm really hoping this hasn't caused it again because I only just upgraded last year.

Holy shit, same thing is happening with my 970, I RMA'd it once, got a new one back and the new one has the same issue. I'm not RMA'ing it again. I just figured I'd be done with PC gaming. I still have a 560ti that has never had an issue outside of a noisy fan.

JoeInky

Fuck me, now I can't even play Killing Floor 2, I was in the beta for it and played for 40 hours with 0 problems, then I try playing MKX in the break between Beta and Early Access and now I can't get past the title screen without crashing my PC.

Fuck your shit Netherrealm and HVS.

stn

Anyone else using Kotal Kahn (War God)? I picked him up last night, have been using Kano (Cybernetic) and Kenshi (Balanced) up until now. I've never used a mixup-heavy character in any fighter, though his mixups seem very easy to pull off. I'm just rarely a fan of characters that have too many possibilities and options to learn.

Anyone else using Kotal Kahn (War God)? I picked him up last night, have been using Kano (Cybernetic) and Kenshi (Balanced) up until now. I've never used a mixup-heavy character in any fighter, though his mixups seem very easy to pull off. I'm just rarely a fan of characters that have too many possibilities and options to learn.
He has like a billion things to do in war God, but you can also keep it pretty simple if you want. I never really had trouble against any character in particular with him (Kung Jin maybe? Funnily enough) because there's sp much you can do, just actually doing it right is the hard part. Really solid character.

I would definitely say War God is the best though, if only because you can add df2 to the end of any b14 to make it safe, which is my favorite combo starter with him. Plus that db3 works well on overly defensive people online.

His fataliy is also too cool.

Xenthar

Trying to get 2 flawless victories on Johnny cage to fight the secret fight in the MK1 tower is irritating me anybody got tips??

You only need one round flawless victory
took me like 30 tries to get it by chance
and then loosing reptile =(

Long combo or spaming special is the way to go for me

Durden77

If you care to know. None of the NPCs you fight in Story Mode have any variations. They are merely recycled movesets carried over from the last game with a new skin.

As for
Tanya, she's
basically using moves borrowed from Kitana and Scorpions Fireball from his Inferno Variation.

None of the NPCs are complete in terms overhauled movesets with three different variations, etc.

They are super basic with minimal effort put into them unlike the actual playable cast.

I guess that makes sense. But I definitely see them just making a few adjustments to him and making him DLC. His MK9 moveset can just be one of his styles.

Also quoting this to see if I can get some help...

I still don't quite understand the faction stuff. Do I have to play as certain characters for this stuff to matter? Like if I'm in Lin Kuei, if I play as Kano does that not count? And how long do I actually have to complete these challenges before they reset?

And it says we won, but I'm guessing that another war is immediately started afterwards and we're just the "champions" now? Is that the counter at the top saying 5 days?

Either way, go Lin Kuei. Subs fo lyfe.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just had some GGs against a Takada, a rare smooth game where we were almost equal, think I won the series like 9 - 1 but they were always close. If online worked like that all the time I'd be hooked, sadly KOTH still crashes to desktop and ping bars don't update so it's hard to challenge people near you. I created an EU West room last night and I was happy to see it back when I logged in today.

Negaduck

Anyone else using goro? Really love playing him (punch walk all day) but have a hard time finding anything for him. Might start making content and combos for him since I can't find anything.

ZangBa

He has like a billion things to do in war God, but you can also keep it pretty simple if you want. I never really had trouble against any character in particular with him (Kung Jin maybe? Funnily enough) because there's sp much you can do, just actually doing it right is the hard part. Really solid character.

I would definitely say War God is the best though, if only because you can add df2 to the end of any b14 to make it safe, which is my favorite combo starter with him. Plus that db3 works well on overly defensive people online.

His fataliy is also too cool.

A good Grandmaster Sub-Zero is a nightmare situation tbh.

I'm like 140ish/7 with him and honestly, I don't think he has too much going for him in the long run, he feels mid-lowish tier to me.

You only need one round flawless victory
took me like 30 tries to get it by chance
and then loosing reptile =(

Long combo or spaming special is the way to go for me

ooooooh man I thought we needed 2 rounds flawless I've been restarting fights like crazy just to get it

Does the netcode and matchmaking get worse every day? I could play online two days ago but now I'm waiting five minutes for a fight against a pro gamer 250/10 with a bad connection. Seriously, this is more than awful.

PS4 btw.

A good Grandmaster Sub-Zero is a nightmare situation tbh.

I'm like 140ish/7 with him and honestly, I don't think he has too much going for him in the long run, he feels mid-lowish tier to me.
Hmm, yeah that seems to be the case for a lot of characters. What's a good counter to that? A character with a teleport?

The attacking and blocking system is paramount in all fighting games. Knowing what hits where and how to stop it from hitting you is way more important than 20 hit combos and such.

Mortal Kombat X has five basic ways of hitting an opponent:

High attacks hit high and can be blocked by holding the block button while standing. If you crouch or hold block and crouch, the attack will not hit you at all. You typically cannot jump over a high attack.

Low attacks hit low and can ONLY be blocked by by crouching and holding the block button at the same time. Standing blocks will not prevent the hit. You can usually jump over low attacks.

Mid attacks hit mid and can EITHER be blocked by holding the block button or by crouching and holding the block button at the same time. You can also crouch and the attack will not hit you. You can sometimes jump over a mid attack.

Overhead attacks hit high and can ONLY be blocked by holding block while standing. If you crouch and hold block. the attack will connect. You can still just crouch and the attach will not hit you. You typically cannot jump over an overhead attack. Note: jump attacks are considered Overheads.

Throws grab mid and require close proximity and are unblockable. You can escape a throw by hitting the throw button(s) immediately after being grabbed. There are special throws called Command Throws that require directional inputs and a button(s) to perform and cannot be escaped once the grab is initiated.

Now that you know this, research. And by research, I mean hit the practice mode. Learn the normal attacks, special attacks, and combos and see how and where they hit (the display will tell you the type of each attack when it connects). This is useful to recognize what will be coming your way when you are fighting an opponent, and also to learn mixing up attacks so that your opponent won't know what to expect.

Looking at the basic attacks, we find that:

Blocking high will stop high attacks, mid attacks, and overheads.
Blocking low will stop mid attacks and low attacks, and completely avoid high attacks.
Crouching will completely avoid high attacks, mid attacks, and overheads.

Use this knowledge to plan your attacks. Most combos that are listed on the character profile start high or mid, so they are useful more as counters rather than simply launching strings at blocking opponents. Use lows to get them blocking low and then mix in some throws. Also, many normals moves can be canceled into specials (doing a move while starting another move to string them together), so you can make up a lot of combos that start low and launch your opponents to set up a juggle. But that's more advanced stuff, so stick with the basics and go from there.

If you know how to properly attack and block, you will be better off than over half of your potential opponents.
Great summary, thanks for taking the time to write it. When I get the game tomorrow I'll keep everyone updated with my progress.

ZangBa

Hmm, yeah that seems to be the case for a lot of characters. What's a good counter to that? A character with a teleport?

Any character with a good projectile is fine, Kotal just has no answer to him but extreme patience. His projectile and War God db3 are way too slow and will get blown up quick.

Demoskinos

Kotal is really good in close range. Downright scary even. But yeah he is way slow and he has no real tools for dealing with zoners except being patient.

stn

I want to save coins by unlocking fatalities without buying them. Can I go into fatality training, enter the commands, and then unlock them that way? Thanks.

Trickster

So I still maintain that Cassie vs Ice clone spaming sub zero is obscenely onesided in the favor of Subzero. You just don't have any viable way of dealing with the ice clones as far as I can tell

Azzawon

So I'm playing as Jax on the MK1 tower for the secret appearance, got a flawless against Kano as my 6th challenger, finished him with a fatality, and no Reptile. WTF?

Edit: Got it now, not sure what happened there. RIP me anyway, Reptile is ridiculous for my skill level.

So I still maintain that Cassie vs Ice clone spaming sub zero is obscenely onesided in the favor of Subzero. You just don't have any viable way of dealing with the ice clones as far as I can tell

I haven't had this match up yet so I'm super curious to see it and try to figure out a way to handle it. I went online yesterday to do my faction challenges, playing 3 player matches. One was a Mileena who kept spamming Ball, which I would block, then punish with an uppercut. Never learned. The next two were Scorpions and I just blocked the teleport, then punished with Cassie's 2,4,2, followed by f2,1,1. After a few times of that, I could sense the fear through the screen.

Tokubetsu

I haven't had this match up yet so I'm super curious to see it and try to figure out a way to handle it. I went online yesterday to do my faction challenges, playing 3 player matches. One was a Mileena who kept spamming Ball, which I would block, then punish with an uppercut. Never learned. The next two were Scorpions and I just blocked the teleport, then punished with Cassie's 2,4,2, followed by f2,1,1. After a few times of that, I could sense the fear through the screen.

Also my favorite scorpion teleport punish. You land it twice in a round and you can just feel their panic. Sometimes I'll switch it up and do df1 into bck-fw3 grapple.

Xevren

Is Reptile a beginner char? His attacks seem pretty strong (nimble style).

He's probably one of the hardest characters in the game to use properly. Especially combo'ing into his ex nimble. Though if you do put work into him it really pays off. I'd also say using him online would just be an awful idea.

Akronis

Holy shit, same thing is happening with my 970, I RMA'd it once, got a new one back and the new one has the same issue. I'm not RMA'ing it again. I just figured I'd be done with PC gaming. I still have a 560ti that has never had an issue outside of a noisy fan.

Use DDU and reinstall your drivers. Check your GPU temps.

vg260

He's probably one of the hardest characters in the game to use properly. Especially combo'ing into his ex nimble. Though if you do put work into him it really pays off. I'd also say using him online would just be an awful idea.

Dang. He's who I want to use once I finish with the single player stuff.

molnizzle

Man. I spend like 10 hours in training mode over the past day or so and decide to see how I do online again... it's like everyone else has been training even more. Where are the people who are as new as I was before? Ugh.

Maybe fighting games just aren't for me.

SuperBonk

Man. I spend like 10 hours in training mode over the past day or so and decide to see how I do online again... it's like everyone else has been training even more. Where are the people who are as new as I was before? Ugh.

Maybe fighting games just aren't for me.

Almost none of timing-based stuff I do in training mode works online due to the input delay. I feel like playing a lot of matches online is the only way you can train for online.

Almost none of timing-based stuff I do in training mode works online due to the input delay. I feel like playing a lot of matches online is the only way you can train for online.
Yeah, it's usually best to stay away from really tricky combos online, especially ones where you have to jump at like a certain frame or whatever.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

This. It's rare an online match is smooth enough to pull off the same *****s you can do in training. That's why people who pick Scorpion and spam his shit do better than they should.

Top Bottom