• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

molnizzle

Finally won a couple of matches today with assassin Kitana. Feels good man. Wish she had more combo range though

Is anyone else using the street fighter controls? i.e. require diagonal inputs for special moves.

I've never been able to play SF because of that so I figured I'd force myself to learn in MK to get used to it. Seems to be a big disadvantage though...

SuperBonk

Is there a trick to knowing what linking combos together? I'm trying to learn how to piece these things together to form some sort of decent attack, but struggle to get more than the hits you get from one combo. Is there like a list of starters, middles and enders or what? Talk to me like I'm a total noob.

The combo system in this game is based on juggles so a good starter is any move that launches the opponent in the air so that you can follow up with other combo strings.

Edzi

So are there any thoughts on which variation is best for Kung Lao? I keep switching between buzz saw and tempest, but I'm starting to lean towards tempest since I never found myself really utilizing the buzz saw specials.

Onemic

If the online isnt improved soon I might just drop the game altogether. 100% of the matches Ive played have had close to 1 second lag on both ends or the host has host advantage and I'm stuck with near 1 second lag. It's pretty much on the level of PS3/360 KOFXIII online

So are there any thoughts on which variation is best for Kung Lao? I keep switching between buzz saw and tempest, but I'm starting to lean towards tempest since I never found myself really utilizing the buzz saw specials.

buzzsaw. better neutral game and safer pressure/mixups

Wynnebeck

Banned
I realize that Jason comes out Sunday (26th) from supposed release date. So we should be hearing something soon.

Don't do it! You're better than that, Wynnebeck.

I can't help it! I want to do the whole adventure mode thing in the Krypt, but I want my costumes and unlocks now lol.

Is there a trick to knowing what linking combos together? I'm trying to learn how to piece these things together to form some sort of decent attack, but struggle to get more than the hits you get from one combo. Is there like a list of starters, middles and enders or what? Talk to me like I'm a total noob.

Just play around in training mode, really. Toy with all the strings and specials. Find a string that knocks your opponent into the air, then find another string that can hit them while they're in the air, then end that string with your most powerful special.

Remember that you can cancel most strings into specials. Just make sure you input the special's input along with the string input all in one go, don't wait until the end of the string to input it.

Who are you playing as? You can check the Test Your Might forums for the character your playing as, though if you're a total noob like you say, a lot of those combos might be a little too long and complex. I know many of them are for me. If you want, I could try toying around with your character to see if I can find some decent simple combos.

If the online isnt improved soon I might just drop the game altogether. 100% of the matches Ive played have had close to 1 second lag on both ends or the host has host advantage and I'm stuck with near 1 second lag. It's pretty much on the level of PS3/360 KOFXIII online
Sounds like you have a connection issue dude.

Also, after going on a 18 win streak online, I now have 1000 coins. While using the "get extra coins" tag stuff. lol

SuperBonk

I can't help it! I want to do the whole adventure mode thing in the Krypt, but I want my costumes and unlocks now lol.

You can get a lot of the costumes by just beating klassic tower with each character. You can get the fatalities by just doing the inputs on your own.

k1t4j

Ok that reptile fight in Living Towers is way out of my league, I got a crutch victory round but got owned the next two rounds and lost the match

And here I was thinking I was getting half decent with Jax :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to learn a second character, I'm firmly a SZ player but it gets a little boring playing him 100%, problem is I haven't really liked anyone else.

Something I never learned is how to read frame data. There's all these numbers, plus, minus, block, recovery. I dunno what's going on and how it relates to what is safe on block and what isn't.

Onemic

Sounds like you have a connection issue dude.

Also, after going on a 18 win streak online, I now have 1000 coins. While using the "get extra coins" tag stuff. lol

my internet is fine. The netcode isnt.

This wasnt over a period of a day, but since the game came out. Unless you're telling me that the minimum requirements to play the game lag free is a 50mbps+ connection

Khezu

buzzsaw. better neutral game and safer pressure/mixups

NRS doesn't have a great track record with fixing netcode post release.
At least IMO. Some like to say Injustice netcode got better after patches, but I found it to get worse.

Spades

Just play around in training mode, really. Toy with all the strings and specials. Find a string that knocks your opponent into the air, then find another string that can hit them while they're in the air, then end that string with your most powerful special.

Remember that you can cancel most strings into specials. Just make sure you input the special's input along with the string input all in one go, don't wait until the end of the string to input it.

Who are you playing as? You can check the Test Your Might forums for the character your playing as, though if you're a total noob like you say, a lot of those combos might be a little too long and complex. I know many of them are for me. If you want, I could try toying around with your character to see if I can find some decent simple combos.

Dumb question, but why would you want to cancel a string?

I haven't really picked a main yet as I've just been having fun playing around with all of the characters. There are so many characters that I think would be an awesome main so narrowing it down isn't easy! I think I'll settle on either Raiden, Scorpion or Cassie to start with.

Thanks to everyone offering advice - much appreciated. I'm really enjoying the game and I think I'm ready now to take it a little more seriously instead of just constantly spamming the same one or two moves over and over. :)

Aske

Not really unless you're on PC. The costumes you get from it you can get from ladders though, and you don't have to unlock a brutality/fatality to actually do it.

Exactly. The Krypt stuff was completely overblown. Important stuff like most costumes can be unlocked with a quick Arcade run; fatalities and brutalities don't need to be unlocked. There are some costumes that require more complex or time consuming unlock criteria, and they're the things you want to grab in the Krypt. Use a Krypt map to find them, and use the money you make playing the game or adventuring in the Krypt to buy them.

Swarm Queen is pretty good, a lot of people can't deal or take some time to realize they can only block her Vortex Swarm when crouching. Plus, she has an easy combo that isn't too hard to pull off online (forward B, B forward B, B>cancel into Poison Ovipositor Charge).

I like Venomous a lot too, too bad she lacks Vortex Swarm in this variation.

I can't get the Poison Ovipositor Charge to work in this combo :/ (I'm too far away)
What does cancel mean? (not the word, lol)

my internet is fine. The netcode isnt.

This wasnt over a period of a day, but since the game came out. Unless you're telling me that the minimum requirements to play the game lag free is a 50mbps+ connection
I have a wired connection, but I just played 20 games and had no lag at all. My connection is 30mb at most.

Xevren

NRS doesn't have a great track record with fixing netcode post release.
At least IMO. Some like to say Injustice netcode got better after patches, but I found it to get worse.

Yup, I don't see it getting any better. Would for them to prove me wrong but as is this is an offline only game for me.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Watching jwong right now. Picks any character, throws out 30%+ combos no problem, destroys everyone. Depressing.

Onemic

I have a wired connection, but I just played 20 games and had no lag at all. My connection is 30mb at most.

I use wireless on my PS4, but on PC I have a wired connection. Surprisingly I actually have better matches(still unplayable) on PS4 vs the PC version. My connection is 10mbps.

Dr. Buni

I can't get the Poison Ovipositor Charge to work in this combo :/ (I'm too far away)
What does cancel mean? (not the word, lol)
It means you have to input the command for the special move before the combo animation ends. In this combo in specific, try inputing the command for Poison Ovipositor Charge before D'vorah finishes her kicking animation. I had trouble at first too, but now I can connect the move almost always.

If you still have trouble, I feel like the enhanced version of the move (Poison Ovipositor Rush) connects easier than the regular move.

Dumb question, but why would you want to cancel a string?

I haven't really picked a main yet as I've just been having fun playing around with all of the characters. There are so many characters that I think would be an awesome main so narrowing it down isn't easy! I think I'll settle on either Raiden, Scorpion or Cassie to start with.

Thanks to everyone offering advice - much appreciated. I'm really enjoying the game and I think I'm ready now to take it a little more seriously instead of just constantly spamming the same one or two moves over and over. :)

When I say you'll cancel a string, I mean your character will do the string and then immediately follow it with the special attack. He cancels out of the recovery frames of the last attack into the special.

So, for instance, you're playing Scorpion. If you tap in 1, 2, 3, he'll do a string. If you tap in 1, 2, 3, then immediately follow that with BF1, he'll finish that string with his spear, pull the opponent close, and let you follow up and continue your combo.

This should work with any normal or string that doesn't have 0 under "Cancel" in the Frame Data on the moves screen.

It means you have to input the command for the special move before the combo animation ends. In this combo in specific, try inputing the command for Poison Ovipositor Charge before D'vorah finishes her kicking animation. I had trouble at first too, but now I can connect the move almost always.

If you still have trouble, I feel like the enhanced version of the move (Poison Ovipositor Rush) connects easier than the regular move.

Amazing, it works. Any other good combos? :D

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I suggest buying a cable for PS4 and never playing on PC again haha

You can buy a 10 ft cable for roughly $5 at Walmart. I got one the other day. It works great. Controller charge cable, not ethernet. lol I bet ebay has better prices.

It works great when I want to play for a long time and I want to sit further away from the screen. I get all my ethernet and digital audio cords on eBay. It's cheaper than shopping at the store.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Did some googling today and found that I'm not the only one having issues with inputs. Even had one of characters blocking at the start of a match without me pushing anything. Don't think anything is wrong with my controller since it works fine with other games. I had it plugged in but is it possible that something is interfering with the ds4 signal ? Maybe it's the disc itself. I got the GS limited edition disc. Maybe its just me sucking which I doubt cause my online win ratio is around 80/40. Sorry to keep making bitching post but Mk is like my favorite franchise and I've never ran into this issue with any of the other mortal konbat games.

Edit: This is an offline and online problem btw.

Ferrio

Banned
Saw this on reddit

0N8MO43.gif

You only get Dark Raiden through Krypt. All the other secondary outfits can be unlocked through Klassic Tower. :p

There was a link to all the stuff a page back, I think.

Ok that reptile fight in Living Towers is way out of my league, I got a crutch victory round but got owned the next two rounds and lost the match

And here I was thinking I was getting half decent with Jax :(

I wouldn't base your skill off a fight with a CPU.

That's one thing I don't really like about this game, how Johnny, Sonya, and Jax can brutally murder their kids. The fatalities don't usually make me uncomfortable, but in that context they kinda do. :(
Yeah, pretty much in any interactions with Special Forces characters I avoid fatalities if I'm playing as one. Even Jax murdering Johnny or Takeda feels weird.

Lets not forget Sindel and Kitana kill each other in MK matches since the early days of the series.
Yeah, but they're all violent murderers in the story too.

Alfredo

That's one thing I don't really like about this game, how Johnny, Sonya, and Jax can brutally murder their kids. The fatalities don't usually make me uncomfortable, but in that context they kinda do. :(

Anything that happens in Versus mode shouldn't be considered canon anyway, like how
Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kitana are alive
, or how Cassie is "Facebook" friends with a lot of the villains. lol

T.O.P

Banned
So far my mains are:

-Kung Jin -Bojutsu
-Sub Zero -Cryomancer
-Scorpion -Ninjitsu
-Takeda -Shirai Ryu

Takeda was tons of fun to learn, but Kung Jin is still my #1 pick to wreck shit up

Top Bottom