• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

zarmena

Am I the only one who hasn't been prompted to download patch 1.03 yet? I went online to manually check for an update but it says the game is already updated. Also, someone on Reddit claims 1.03 is only 100mb so I'm a little confused?

Morphing into any character Tsung will never happen again. The solution 9 used is about as good as it gets. Unless they give him the Shinnok MK4 treatment and just give him a accessory of the character to let you know visually.

Manu

Port is High Voltage (so shit), online is garbage on every platform

Tell that to the NRS apologists that will swear up and down that the netcode is fine and it's just your POS connection thats causing you to have laggy matches.

We played and streamed a 6-player KOTH last night with some friends. There was pretty much no lag.

I'm not an apologist, it's what happened.

Dr. Buni

Tell that to the NRS apologists that will swear up and down that the netcode is fine and it's just your POS connection thats causing you to have laggy matches.
The netcode isn't perfect, but if you only have laggy matches then yes, the problem is your connection. You can call me names if you want.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
But that's not until November.

For a second I was like "But Jason is coming out soo.... OH".

WBPlay is down again on PC so I can't play, it seems like they purposely go down when I sit my arse in the chair to play.

patchday

Honestly I was always horrified at the idea of playing a fighting game online. They are so highly twitchy I don't see how these games can keep up with the player inputs unless both parties have a super excellent ping

I've always played fighting games locally with friends. But watching MK X streams on twitch it looks like they are getting by just fine. So maybe I'll give it a shot sometime

Is there any way to disable automatic match recording? Or at least limit it to the last several matches or something? MKX is maxing out my goddamn PS+ storage with 300+ MB of match replays.

WTF.

Was hoping you'd get an answer

The netcode isn't perfect, but if you only have laggy matches then yes, the problem is your connection. You can call me names if you want.

Totally agree with this. About 15% of my games are laggy to the point where I can't do my combos and play effectively. The rest are totally fine and I'm able to pull off every combo I do in offline practice.

I think it's fair to say that the netcode's fine, however the way pings are displayed along with the fact you're forced into ranked matches is bullshit.

Nemesis_

I don't know what it is but I swear that I was having almost perfect matches with MK9 when that was out as well as many other fighting games.

But MKX just takes so long to get me into a ranked match, and even then there's a 30% change that I'll actually be able to finish it before I get a ENDING GAME prompt then a THE GAME SESSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Of the "big" fighters I've played (I've played literally all of them) MKX is easily my worst at the moment.

I really hope they fix it too because it's such a fantastic game.

Onemic

I've had terrible to decent matches.

Pretty much what I would expect out of NRS netcode.

pretty much my experience.

Heres the thing, I dont think anyone that actually sticks around and plays online for a long time will only have bad matches, but some will write off the game after having a string of bad matches when they first play. I believe it's exactly what happened to PR_balrog when he first played and now I dont think he'll touch online in that game again lol. It took me about 6 or so matches of near 1 second lag before I finally started getting decent matches. At its best MKX netcode is like playing a yellow bar in SF4 and at its worst it turns into 360/PS3 KOF XIII online....That's pretty bad no matter how you slice it.

I've asked this already but I think it got lost - are there any good written or video guides for new players to help them choose a character, with general overviews of their playstyle, srengths, weaknesses, etc? Or is the best way to just play them all a little and see who clicks?

RM8

If people who complain about the netcode don't have those issues in other fighting games, then it's not really about their connection. At least on Reddit I've read plenty of people complaining that it's worse than Street Fighter or even Skullgirls, so yeah. Not that I know, I don't want to play online until I get my new PC soon :p I don't fancy playing online at a cinematic ~25fps.

I've asked this already but I think it got lost - are there any good written or video guides for new players to help them choose a character, with general overviews of their playstyle, srengths, weaknesses, etc? Or is the best way to just play them all a little and see who clicks?
I'd recommend this for any fighter, yes. I actually don't understand when people ask "guys, who should I main?", one of my favorite aspects about fighting games is looking at a character and saying "looks fun, I'll main him/her!".

This is true, at least on PS4 lol

I've played 150 matches, and about 5 had noticeable lag, only one of those 5 was unplayable. And it wasn't even the KotH matches!

If people who complain about the netcode don't have those issues in other fighting games, then it's not really about their connection. At least on Reddit I've read plenty of people complaining that it's worse than Street Fighter or even Skullgirls, so yeah. Not that I know, I don't want to play online until I get my new PC soon :p I don't fancy playing online at a cinematic ~25fps.

It's a worse netcode, but if it's unplayable or even noticeably bad for you it's still your connection. It's perfectly fine if you just but an ethernet cable, but a crappy connection that's good enough for SF4 isn't good enough for this, if that makes sense.

Search "SupermanSajam" on youtube.

vg260

Not really. Still too early and too much of a task for such a comprehensive overview.

Maybe check out old Kombat cast streams where they go over characters or pick a character that looks interesting and checking out youtube.

Syntsui

Your best bet is to check Test Your Might forum. That is the best place to learn the game as pretty much all the top players are active there.

RM8

It's a worse netcode, but if it's unplayable or even noticeably bad for you it's still your connection. It's perfectly fine if you just but an ethernet cable, but a crappy connection that's good enough for SF4 isn't good enough for this, if that makes sense.
I should be fine if USFIV and SSB4 (even on Wi-Fi) work perfectly for me, right? Heck, even KOFXIII / 98UM / 2k2UM have been okay.

I should be fine if USFIV and SSB4 work perfectly for me, right? Heck, even KOFXIII / 98UM / 2k2UM have been okay.

What system are you playing on? And it really depends I guess. All I know is my connection ain't optimized or any of that shit, and I've basically never ever had lag.

RM8

What system are you playing on? And it really depends I guess. All I know is my connection ain't optimized or any of that shit, and I've basically never ever had lag.
Pee Cee :( USFIV is now perfect on PC, it's going to be so jarring playing laggy matches.

Onemic

This is true, at least on PS4 lol

I've played 150 matches, and about 5 had noticeable lag, only one of those 5 was unplayable. And it wasn't even the KotH matches!

Search "SupermanSajam" on youtube.

Considering that most consider SF4 netcode to merely be 'decent' that means MKX netcode is straight up bad.

I mean, on first attack Ultra David was saying how it was noticeably bad for him, I dont think anyone would tell him that it's just his connection. I know plenty of people with 100mbps conenctions that are also having a bad experience in online. This goes beyond the speed of your connection. TBH no online game should require your internet to have like a minimum 50mbps connection to be decent. That's the sign of bad netcode.

Most people say that Marvel 3 netcode is really bad, but I've never had an unplayable match in that game. I'm not, however, gonna tell all those people it's just their connection, because it's a very shortsighted opinion to take. Just because I havent had a bad experience in a game I'm not gonna write off other peoples experiences, especially when it's a very large body of people all saying the same thing.

Dr. Buni

Speaking of overview of playstyles, is there a site showing how the MK characters are classified? Like, in SF/KOF there are "zoners", "rushdown", "grapplers", etc.

@Onemic: It is too bad the online doesn't work for you then. Calling people who are having great online matches "NRS apologists" is dumb, though. Also, having a 50/100mbps connection means way less than you think in online gaming :p

Pee Cee :( USFIV is now perfect on PC, it's going to be so jarring playing laggy matches.

Oh yeah all rules go out the window with PC haha. You know it's bad when they have to give you 30x the normal amount of koins just to make up for how bad the game is.

Considering that most consider SF4 netcode to merely be 'decent' that means MKX netcode is straight up bad.

I mean, on first attack Ultra David was saying how it was noticeably bad for him, I dont think anyone would tell him that it's just his connection. I know plenty of people with 100mbps conenctions that are also having a bad experience in online. This goes beyond the speed of your connection. TBH no online game should require your internet to have like a minimum 50mbps connection to be decent. That's the sign of bad netcode.

Most people say that Marvel 3 netcode is really bad, but I've never had an unplayable match in that game. I'm not, however, gonna tell all those people it's just their connection, because it's a very shortsighted opinion to take. Just because I havent had a bad experience in a game I'm not gonna write off other peoples experiences, especially when it's a very large body of people all saying the same thing.
My connection is between 25-30mbps and it's perfect. Just checked haha.

Speaking of overview of playstyles, is there a site showing how the MK characters are classified? Like, in SF/KOF there are "zoners", "rushdown", "grapplers", etc.

@Onemic: It is too bad the online doesn't work for you then. Calling people who are having great online matches "NRS apologists" is dumb, though. Also, having a 50/100mbps connection means way less than you think in online gaming :p

Umm not really. It's hard to classify them like that in this one especially because of variations. Like Jax in most of his variations could be considered rushdown, in his wrestler variation he gets some grappling moves (air throw and 2 command throws), and with his heavy weapons variant he's one of the best zoners I think.

Arksy

I'm super annoyed.

I want to keep playing, but I feel like I'm basically done.

I've done the story, the klassic tower with every hero and unlocked everything major in the krypt.

I'll never be co-ordinated enough to fight people with cat twitch muscle infinite combos....but I feel like I'm done with every aspect I can be.

Kind of annoying because I want there to be a lot more. The story in MK9 was fucking epic compared to this, way more chapters and involving a lot more characters.

ZangBa

My connection is 2/.5. Yes, that is 2 and .5. On PS4, and of the 200+ matches I've had online, only about 15 were really bad. I've had no trouble landing my 40+% combo, and my win-rate is like 90%.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's way better than Injustass and MK9, and I've had mostly no issues.

vg260

Well, it could be his connection potentially. The data bandwidth is not really what determines the experience as much as network latency. He could have a massive data bandwidth, but if his ISP's network has bad latency, you get bad pings which results in lag.

That's not to say the netcode isn't bad

If people who complain about the netcode don't have those issues in other fighting games, then it's not really about their connection. At least on Reddit I've read plenty of people complaining that it's worse than Street Fighter or even Skullgirls, so yeah

Well, Skullgirls IS pretty much one of if not the current highest standard for netcode right now so that doesn't say too much tbh lol But worse than SFIV is not really a good signal at all.

Pretty much.

Also, some people just don't notice lag as much I guess. However, saying that a netcode is fine just because you can hit combos doesn't mean much since combos are just muscle memory. It is a bigger deal if you can actually react to things that offline wouldn't be as much of an issue or not.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

PC with a 30mb connection and online is bad, WBPlay goes down every day and when it's actually up it's very slow. More often than not the input delay is bad enough that you drop combos you'd never normally drop. Plus lots of matches drop with "lobby no longer available" or "check your Ethernet cable" errors. Plus ping bars don't update so you never know if the person you challenge is a lagger. I've found anything less than 2 bars is a total shit show. And let's not forget the awesome online crash to desktop problem, most noticeable in KOTH.

I've tried using a static IP with port forwarding and even DMZ but neither helped, as a last ditch effort I even tried Google DNS with the same result.

WBPlay being an unstable, slow mess is 90% of the problem, if they can get their shit together the game will be better for it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm super annoyed.

I want to keep playing, but I feel like I'm basically done.

I've done the story, the klassic tower with every hero and unlocked everything major in the krypt.

I'll never be co-ordinated enough to fight people with cat twitch muscle infinite combos....but I feel like I'm done with every aspect I can be.

Kind of annoying because I want there to be a lot more. The story in MK9 was fucking epic compared to this, way more chapters and involving a lot more characters.

I don't know man... fighters are built for online play. If anything you should be very happy with the offline content MK provides--way more than any other game. You probably should have waited and bought it used.

RM8

Well, Skullgirls IS pretty much one of if not the current highest standard for netcode right now so that doesn't say too much tbh lol But worse than SFIV is not really a good signal at all.
I said "even" Skullgirls because its budget was likely exponentially smaller compared to MKX, and it's odd that it still has a much better netcode. It makes no sense :[

Arksy

I don't know man... fighters are built for online play. If anything you should be very happy with the offline content MK provides--way more than any other game. You probably should have waited and bought it used.

I know, the living towers are good and all, I've played over 30 hours already. I find myself loading the game up, playing a tower and then quitting. I find myself doing this pretty often. I just wish there was more unlocks, more story..etc.

Trickster

My connection is 2/.5. Yes, that is 2 and .5. On PS4, and of the 200+ matches I've had online, only about 15 were really bad. I've had no trouble landing my 40+% combo, and my win-rate is like 90%.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's way better than Injustass and MK9, and I've had mostly no issues.

How common are game session drops or crashes on ps4? On pc those issues are common for me and a big factor for why I think the online there is ass

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I know, the living towers are good and all, I've played over 30 hours already. I find myself loading the game up, playing a tower and then quitting. I find myself doing this pretty often. I just wish there was more unlocks, more story..etc.

If you've put 30 hours then you have a good grasp of one character or probably several. Hit the practice room, work on some easy combos, then try a few online matches. Tons of people at all different skill levels. You'll pull out some wins, guaranteed!

Ferrio

Banned

Well seeing how your bandwidth speed has little to nothing to do with latency in video games, it's not very surprising. People should state their location instead if they wanna make a point about the netcode.

Onemic

I never said that if you have a good experience with online then you're an NRS apologist. Read my post again. I said you're an apologist if you say that if anyone has a bad experience with online it's solely due to their connection and it has nothing to do with the game. If you write off other peoples experinces, especially when its a very large number of people, just because your experience wasn't the same, then ya, I will consider you an apologist. At the very least it is an extremely shortsighted position to take

And just to clarify, that comment wasn't directed to anyone in this thread. From what I read no one was doing that. It was more directed to stream monsters on twitch going off on anyone that said their online experience was bad.

patchday

You'd love dragonball xenoverse. I won't be able to finish unlocking everything for a year+. And this is the online PvE (called Parallel quests).

If you've put 30 hours then you have a good grasp of one character or probably several. Hit the practice room, work on some easy combos, then try a few online matches. Tons of people at all different skill levels. You'll pull out some wins, guaranteed!

My plan! :)

Im afraid to say my netcode experience has being really clean on EU PS4 but looks like my opinion doesn't matter because im automatically an NRS apologist

on another note in the MK1 Tower i double flawlessed my 7th fight! wheres the hidden battle ?

ZangBa

Well seeing how your bandwidth speed has little to nothing to do with latency in video games, it's not very surprising. People should state their location instead if they wanna make a point about the netcode.

I know that, but so long as people claim bad internet is the cause, I'll keep posting it, since I doubt there are many here with less than me.

And I live in Florida.

Manu

Im afraid to say my netcode experience has being really clean on EU PS4 but looks like my opinion doesn't matter because im automatically an NRS apologist

on another note in the MK1 Tower i double flawlessed my 7th fight! wheres the hidden battle ?

It's the 6th fight you need to flawless.

I got one flawless and no fatality and was taken to the secret fight, lol

I'd recommend this for any fighter, yes. I actually don't understand when people ask "guys, who should I main?", one of my favorite aspects about fighting games is looking at a character and saying "look fun, I'll main him/her!".

This has always been my philosophy on just about anything. Unfortunately when it comes to fighting games sometimes my interest in the character just doesn't match the level of skill and dedication required to become proficient with them. That said, I guess I'll spend all night experimenting with whoever looks coolest! Sage advice.

RM8

This has always been my philosophy on just about anything. Unfortunately when it comes to fighting games sometimes my interest in the character just doesn't match the level of skill and dedication required to become proficient with them. That said, I guess I'll spend all night experimenting with whoever looks coolest! Sage advice.
I know how it feels! I'm a defensive player, and I like charge characters (in SF) so my "natural" mains are Chun and Decapre. But my third character is Makoto, who is the exact opposite, and I learned her because she just looks so cool! :p It's definitely a challenge, but it's also very rewarding when it pays off. The one exception was Yang :( I can't play him for crap even though he's one of my favorite characters.

In this game, I decided I was going to main Tanya, but I'm loving mournful Kitana (I mained Jade in MK9) and shaolin Kung Jin. I think they look cool and they fit my style, so I've been lucky :p It'd be funny if I end up not liking Tanya at all.

Arksy

I don't really dig Kitana at all so far. I'm sure she's good in a good players hands but meh, I just suck.

Mileena on the other hand. Amazing.

Top Bottom