• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

JimmyBoy

I feel as though people are conflating Speed/bandwidth and latency when they're complaining about "the netcode".

Just to clarify for people. You can have a 50Mb up/50Mb down connection, your opponent can have the same bandwidth speeds and you still have crappy ping to your opponent. And you will get lag because of it.

Think of your connection as a river. Your bandwidth is how wide the river is and how fast the river is flowing is your ping/latency.

Latency is affected by your geographical location to your opponent, if a major switch is down along your normal path along the internet and a variety of other variables.

Please stop saying "lol i have 100Mb and still have problems, netcode is crap". I'm not saying it's not crap, but please complain correctly. :)

vg260

I feel as though people are conflating Speed/bandwidth and latency when they're complaining about "the netcode".

Just to clarify for people. You can have a 50Mb up/50Mb down connection, your opponent can have the same bandwidth speeds and you still have crappy ping to your opponent. And you will get lag because of it.

Think of your connection as a river. Your bandwidth is how wide the river is and how fast the river is flowing is your ping/latency.

Latency is affected by your geographical location to your opponent, if a major switch is down along your normal path along the internet and a variety of other variables.

Please stop saying "lol i have 100Mb and still have problems, netcode is crap". I'm not saying it's not crap, but please complain correctly. :)

Haha, yes thanks for this.

I ditched DSL despite having OK download speeds because they used some sort of error-correction on the signal which added significant latency, enough to ruin online games I was playing.

Dr. Buni

Yes, the netcode is really damn good.

You better not give up, Reila! It'll greatly benefit you, if you learn another character to play as. :3
Cool. I should buy Skullgirls one of these days.

I will not. I am just not sure if I want to stick with Ermac as a secondary yet. So many fun characters! D:

Ferrio

Banned
On the testyourmight forums I'm seeing the input "JIP1" what's that stand for? Jumping something punch 1?

edit: seems to me "Jump in"

Xevren

I'm guessing "jump in place", so neutral jump 1. No real idea tho.

It's jump in punch, for neutral punches it'd just be njp. Still, anyone that posts combos starting with a jump in punch is dumb. If you're playing people that let you jump in punch all day do you even need combo's? I mean cmon!

Ferrio

Banned
It's jump in punch, for neutral punches it'd just be njp. Still, anyone that posts combos starting with a jump in punch is dumb. If you're playing people that let you jump in punch all day do you even need combo's? I mean cmon!

To be fair the combo I'm looking is for a a jump in dive kick.

Majestad

Banned
For my dudes playing with Cassie: what variation are you using the most? I tried spec ops and brawler, but Hollywood seems to be the one to go, as the other ones lack combos and mix ups.

Onemic

For my dudes playing with Cassie: what variation are you using the most? I tried spec ops and brawler, but Hollywood seems to be the one to go, as the other ones lack combos and mix ups.

I'm using brawler. I would use hollywood but the input for nutkracker screws with me(same reason I don't play johnny even though I want to) half the time I can't cancel into the move....even when I've input the move correctly. Only reason why I'm not using specops is because cassie isn't my main(war god kotal is) and I would have to spend significant time learning her setups to do well with her. Brawler is just simple to use.

Its still crazy to me how stupid good cassies pokes are. I swear her normals are up there for one of the best ranges in the game.

Rurunaki

So wait...I have to purchase Blue Steel Sub-Zero? Even if I have the ***** Pack?

Gotta pay for that trademark.
zoolander.jpg

Copy came in yesterday--PS4

Spent 99% of the time just trying out different chars in training and attempting to pull off various big combos with characters. Gotta get a good feel for everything first.

"Jump in punch 1 (front punch)"

Well that's redundant

Arttemis

Really like the game, though the window of opportunity for inputting combos is half the size of MK9's; I don't know why they felt the need to add the artificial difficulty barrier. I still managed to finally master a B&B combo for my main, got a few lag-free matches in recently, but I'm thinking it's time to trade it in and wait for the Komplete Edition.

The trade-in value for this game is $37 right now at Best Buy... After GCU, that's ~$41 back, plus the $10 voucher for preordering means I actually gained a few cents, even after tax, and I walk away with a Goro code.

Rocketz

I just picked up the game Monday and I've already put a ton of hours in this already. I'm really enjoying it. I just wish the net kode was better.

I really like Royal Storm Kintana. I was using Assassin but I like the longer reach on her lift with Royal Storm. I want to learn Kensi but I'm not sure which variation I want to use yet. I started learning Takeda today because whats not cool about this?

VwvMaUm.gif

Target Paint (ex missles) definitely has mix up capabilities. I saw someone destroy Arturo with it.

Onemic

You know, I think Im actually gonna try spec ops Cassie. Im looking at some videos of her combos/setups, and they dont seem too difficult.

Dr. Buni

According to a post on reddit, HVS said on Facebook that Jason DLC is May 5th.

http://img1.picload.org/image/idrlorr/proof.png[/IMd]

Reddit Thread: [url]http://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/33hzfg/jason_coming_to_consoles_and_pc_on_may_5/[/url][/QUOTE]
Another 15GB patch incoming!

Started playing as Cassie online, trying to stick to one character and she's the one I've chosen. I can't share my online record. It's bad. I did win once!

I am the same as you man. But after going ranked, I may have just come the the conclusion that you just can't be competitive in the long run with her. I have played over 200 matches(about 70 with her) and have come to this conclusion:

Cassie can kick major ass in CQC and in the corner. The problem is that you will spend the entire match trying to make the scenario happen. She really needs some type of transport or at the very least a way better projectile.

The following players are just not even worth playing against: Sub-Zero, Jacqui Briggs(assault), Shinook, Jax. I may be missing more, but those are the ones where I could have just quit because they zoned(cheesed) me so bad that there was really nothing I could do.

And on another note.. F*** Kung Jin. He has to have the easiest, most damaging combo there is. He really needs to be nerfed, big time.

So after playing this game for quite sometime the entire basic idea of this game is 50/50 on wakeup. Thats it. If you knock opponent down you put him in 50/50 and vise versa. If they guess right you retry for knockdown if they guess wrong you keep going. NRS really needs to not focus so heavy on dial a combo style play. And emphasize more on normals and footsie type game. But thats what SF is for I guess.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So after playing this game for quite sometime the entire basic idea of this game is 50/50 on wakeup. Thats it. If you knock opponent down you put him in 50/50 and vise versa. If they guess right you retry for knockdown if they guess wrong you keep going. NRS really needs to not focus so heavy on dial a combo style play. And emphasize more on normals and footsie type game. But thats what SF is for I guess.

Traditional footsies are most prominent in SF games. Many others rely on neutral game, including MK in my opinion. The most traditional footsie fighter lately is Killer Instinct Season 1 roster, as it was designed with SF4 as inspiration.

Dubz

Any West Coast NA players want to play? I am not very good, but I do understand the core mechanics.

PSN ID is Dubzinator

Sigmaah

If you need anything Reptile feel free to ask. I feel he's amazing in this game.

What you think his best variation is? Also, what are good ways to go in with him? If ima play a ninja besides tremor it's gonna be reptile.

Gimme all da secrets lmao!

Man. I just want the costuuuuuumes. Android always seems to get the short end of the stick on mobile releases.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I was super excited to play it a week early from the release of MKX. But nope! We have to wait. :| With still no sign of it coming!

According to a post on reddit, HVS said on Facebook that Jason DLC is May 5th.

Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/33hzfg/jason_coming_to_consoles_and_pc_on_may_5/

May 5th?! D: But that's like.. forever.

Onemic

If you need anything Reptile feel free to ask. I feel he's amazing in this game.

How do you get past Reptiles zoning? Playing against him as War god Kotal Kahn seems impossible. I cant remember the variation of Reptile, but its the one where he can shoot slow acid bubbles at you that can turn into full combos if they hit you. I won the first match simply because the distance between me and him during the match start allowed me to easily get in. After that first round though, he was able to get to full screen and just spammed his slow acid balls, and fast acid spit projectiles until I died, and did a rinse repeat in the 3rd round because I was already at full screen. I was literally unable to do anything. I couldnt walk and block as the projectile would just push me back further than I walked forward. I couldnt jump because of the slow acid balls that I would land on, and because Kotals projectiles have 50+ frames of startup I couldnt match him in the projectile department either.

Traditional footsies are most prominent in SF games. Many others rely on neutral game, including MK in my opinion. The most traditional footsie fighter lately is Killer Instinct Season 1 roster, as it was designed with SF4 as inspiration.

But max you play all FGs wouldn't you agree that MK bases it playstyle mostly on 50/50. Some characters are blessed with really good 50/50 dial a combos which are super safe. Like Scorpion or Raiden. I don't mind that guessing game but if you guess right you should have a chance to recover but some characters are so blessed frame data wise they can just throw things out on your wakeup without having to worry about the consequences. Don't get me wrong Its a good game. But I feel like NRS games always been developed as a "tunnel Vision" type fighter. With little room for improvisation.

Haines

Banned
Anyone help explain?

As my login me and my lady beat the sp and unlock fatalities etc.

Why doesn't the game allow her to have the unlocks as player 2? Such as a new fatalty? do we need to unlock everything twice on same console?

Maybe I'm missing something??

Top Bottom