• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Onemic

Ugh, im in an Alt crisis mode at the moment. Choosing between Brawler Cassie(the other two variations combos are way too hard to do online), Shotgun Jacquie, or Inferno/Ninjutsu Scorpion. Which of these three are best against zoners?

EDIT: going with inferno Scorpion

hold down the button as soon as you finish inputting the teleport Its easier when you are holding down because you have to input the opposite direction from what you are facing.

Wasnt that, but thanks for the advice.

Found out that teleport cancel burns 100% of your stamina. Didnt notice it so every time it wouldnt cancel, it was because I was out of stamina haha.

One weird thing I found though, is that you cant fwd cancel his teleport unless he has at least one hit on the opponent.

malfcn

I also like the *click*click*click*click* sound you know they are mashing rematch.

Getting in the corner against Kung Jin is death.

Made my first foray into the world of online. 0-4 in ranked (I won two rounds!) and some getting slaughtered in player matches including a double flawless against me with Kung Jin lol. So this is what it's like playing a fighting game against real people. Netkode was actually pretty damn good minus the first two matches, and the internet at my house is pretty ass.

Trying to main Sonya, any pro-tips? I'm also considering Kano or Kitana, and I haven't even really tried the bottom right of the character select screen...

malfcn

Okay, seriously fuck Kung Jin.
His Bojutso is stupid as hell.

Summary: Swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing swing.

My Xbox didn't catch the record command. Damn.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I don't know if that was posted already but it is really nice informative video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDntW5hWZvI

great video and oddly enough I was starting to figure some of this out on my own today. specifically how the directional buttons are fucking shit up.
This has to be a glitch right?
Be nice to get a direct answer from NR to know if it's purposeful or not.

Spades

Starting to pick up combos with Raiden (and loving it) but some guides I've read list numbers instead of buttons or moves. Could someone be so kind as to let me know how these number references map out to buttons?

As an example, something like this:

5f: f1, EX df2, 213, b111+3

I'm like, WTF. :)

NEO0MJ

Starting to pick up combos with Raiden (and loving it) but some guides I've read list numbers instead of buttons or moves. Could someone be so kind as to let me know how these number references map out to buttons?

Numbers represent buttons. If I'm not mistaken 1 is Forward Punch, 2 back punch, 3 forward kick, 4 back kick, and 5 is block. For letters, F mean forward, D down, B back, J jump, and EX means EX/meter burn moves.

kriskrosbbk

want to know the same

Numbers represent buttons. If I'm not mistaken 1 is Forward Punch, 2 back punch, 3 forward kick, 4 back kick, and 5 is block. For letters, F mean forward, D down, B back, J jump, and EX means EX/meter burn moves.

Or in default controllers

1 = FP = X = [ ]
2 = BP = Y = /_\
3 = FK = A = X
4 = BK = B = O

Spades

Or in default controllers

1 = FP = X = [ ]
2 = BP = Y = /_\
3 = FK = A = X
4 = BK = B = O

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Once I pick up a few more combos, I think the next best step for me to learn more about the game mechanics is to go online and get my ass handed to me! Anyone playing on Xbox One want a few easy wins, in exchange for some pointers? :)

Add me if you'd like: Block Mate is my tag. (I'm EU, though).

malfcn

Is there a flow chart for salt? Kung Jin to Raiden for me.
That little lighting hand is cheap.

Destroyed this dude when I stay out of the corner. Once I am int he corner, it is allll over.

Onemic

Since the servers recently came back up, Max is saying that the netcode has improved a lot. Guess I'll try out some matches later today

Spades

OK, one last nooby question from me today.

Can someone explain to me the frame data, what it means and why I should care about it when trying to piece these combos together?

TsfjDkw.png

I appreciate it's probably simple when you understand the mechanics of the game, but I think I'll learn a lot more if I understand what's good and what isn't here, rather than just following combo guides and remembering strings of button presses.

zogged

So I've been trying out Gunslinger Erron Black as an alt and Ive found that successfully using standoff is one of the coolest things about his mechanics. Haven't tried out his other variations yet but I can safely say that he's one of the best additions to the cast.

Unicorn

Can someone explain to me the frame data, what it means and why I should care about it when trying to piece these combos together?

TsfjDkw.png

I appreciate it's probably simple when you understand the mechanics of the game, but I think I'll learn a lot more if I understand what's good and what isn't here, rather than just following combo guides and remembering strings of button presses.

Start up is how long before it has hit-box. Recovery is on whiff, so you're vulnerable for that many frames (minus is negative and is bad). On block -> if minus, then you're open for punish; if positive, it means it is safe on block and you can do that without being punished.

zogged

TsfjDkw.png

I'm not the biggest authority on this, but effectively its the properties of every move in relation to the number of frames in the animation. The startup is how many frames until the move becomes active, active is how many frames the move takes to complete its animation, and recover is how many frames until to regain control of your character after the move finishes. Not too sure about the other 3 values.

malfcn

Cancel is how many frames it can be canceled. So 0 means it won't combo into something else.

And just got the Dead Woods stage brutality on someone. :D

Is Raidens xray supposed to hit full screen, because it caught me.
Also, I love and hate playing as a teleporter. Because every now and then I get caught by random normals.

I also like the *click*click*click*click* sound you know they are mashing rematch.

I hate it when i've already chosen to move on and i have to wait forever for the other guy to just press x once to clear the scores. Why do we need to wait that even in Ranked Battle?

d3vnull

Finally after hours of towers I found my main.
D'Vorah is so awesome. I really enjoy her move sets and her Brutalities/Fatalities are among the best.

MP here I come.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ahhhh, this is the kind of BM I enjoy. I try not to be a *click**click* guy, but damn sometimes am I salty and want a rematch.

Then they choose quit.

Psychological warfare. Sometimes its good to make people wait at the character select screen too. Let them stew for a bit, think about their poor choices.

Flowmoney

You guys saw the Tanya concept art?

http://i.imgur.com/WfGilJw.jpg

Its amazing that she is pretty much in final form but hair is majorly different and face is a bit different.

It stuck out to me as other characters stuck to their main NPC artwork appearance.

I liked this look more as it wouldn't look as bad and hair wouldn't be all over the place on the character model.

There was also the prior sketches in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/SWrdyOf.jpg

Sorry if quality of image is low , took quick shots of it with my phone..

What do you guys think about it?

Ugh, im in an Alt crisis mode at the moment. Choosing between Brawler Cassie(the other two variations combos are way too hard to do online), Shotgun Jacquie, or Inferno/Ninjutsu Scorpion. Which of these three are best against zoners?

EDIT: going with inferno Scorpion

I know you've already answered this for yourself but Shotgun Jacqui isn't great against zoners. Her main tool in this variation is a 50/50 vortex from comboing into shotgun (which restands and stuns).

Full Auto Jacqui fights zoners pretty well though.

Found out that teleport cancel burns 100% of your stamina. Didnt notice it so every time it wouldnt cancel, it was because I was out of stamina haha.

I was messing around with Scorpion in training mode last night and couldn't figure out why my execution on the teleport cancel was so inconsistent, ha. Good spot. Had a Scorpion online trip me up with teleport cancels into throw/block string, so it's good to know the stamina bar will let me know if he has that option or not.

B3N1

This fucking guy...

I have mixed feelings about ranked. One time it's fun and I get some really exciting matches. And then there's this shit when my input is a second late, the game skips frames and the opponent is just spamming shit at me.

Nyx

This fucking guy...

I have mixed feelings about ranked. One time it's fun and I get some really exciting matches. And then there's this shit when my input is a second late, the game skips frames and the opponent is just spamming shit at me.

Haha! Yep, that's online fighting games. ;-)

drotahorror

After playing online a lot the past couple days, the lag is horrendous.

But, just played some practice mode with a buddy online (it's usually very laggy) and it felt amazing. Maybe it's because not many people are online or they actually did fix something.

Dr. Buni

You guys saw the Tanya concept art?

http://i.imgur.com/WfGilJw.jpg

Its amazing that she is pretty much in final form but hair is majorly different and face is a bit different.

It stuck out to me as other characters stuck to their main NPC artwork appearance.

I liked this look more as it wouldn't look as bad and hair wouldn't be all over the place on the character model.

There was also the prior sketches in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/SWrdyOf.jpg

Sorry if quality of image is low , took quick shots of it with my phone..

What do you guys think about it?
I like her concept art a lot. I hope she has an alt with the short hair. =)

Yaari

I really hope what I am reading about online here is true. Would be amazing if they improved things because that's the only thing holding this game back as far as I'm concerned.

SeanR1221

i sometimes let the post fight screen rock just to piss people off more.

I went into a match last night with a 12% chance to win.

I actually pulled it off and the guy immediately hits retry. I hovered over it, and then slowly moved to next player and selected that instead. :b

Installed the patch on Ps4....online play is now impossible
No living towers availabe
No rooms available
Can't join any 1vs.1 or ranked matches.

Are the servers down or is this game broken?

edit: EU btw.

Top Bottom