• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

SlickVic

Think I'm very slowly getting the hang of the timing on combos. For the life of me I could not get the 4, BF4 combo in the tutorial, but then someone on Gamefaqs explained you're supposed to start pressing Back as you're letting go of 4 and I'm finally hitting it with a bit more consistency (still not automatic for me).

Speaking of the tutorial, it seems rather poor for beginners as it doesn't really bother explaining how timing button inputs should work and sort of assumes you have a basic sense of that stuff already. Seems like it's just geared for veterans looking for a quick overview of the controls before diving into the game.

The letters represent dpad inputs f=forward, b=back, etc. The numbers refer to the face buttons with 1 representing square on the PS4, 2 is triangle, 3 is X, 4 is circle. Or ABXY on Xbox.

UB U UF -2-
B--N--F 1-4
DB D DF -3-

Hopefully that makes sense. N means neutral.
ok thanks that makes sense, just still not sure what xx represents. Also you mentioned canceling to start other moves, how do you cancel?

Cancel is how many frames it can be canceled. So 0 means it won't combo into something else.

And just got the Dead Woods stage brutality on someone. :D

Is Raidens xray supposed to hit full screen, because it caught me.
Also, I love and hate playing as a teleporter. Because every now and then I get caught by random normals.

what? are there stage fatalities or brutalties in this hand

drotahorror

what? are there stage fatalities or brutalties in this hand

Not sure what you mean by 'hand' but yeah there's a stage brutality on the dead woods stage.

Installed the patch on Ps4....online play is now impossible
No living towers availabe
No rooms available
Can't join any 1vs.1 or ranked matches.

Are the servers down or is this game broken?

edit: EU btw.

Don't understand how people are getting a new update. I've been on MK and tried checking for an update for around 4 hours. My buddy never got one either.

vg260

A week later and this game's MB timing still fucks me up. I don't know why it's not more forgiving, but I find MBing during combos tough still.

My brain just ain't clicking.

You're probably aware, but you just need to hit block the same time as the other button, or you can do it a little before. If block is late, you'll miss.

how do i get good at this game...sad face

mr-miyagi.jpg

Spades

When you're a fighting game novice, learning how to link combos together is tough. But when you pull something off for the first time, it feels so good man!

GqoKZTq.gif

I know this sort of combo is trivial for a lot of players to pull off, but after hitting practice for the past few days, I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere! I know it's only 35%, but there is a bit I can do beforehand that should bring me up to around 45%, and that'll be a huge achievement for me.

When you're a fighting game novice, learning how to link combos together is tough. But when you pull something off for the first time, it feels so good man!

GqoKZTq.gif

I know this sort of combo is trivial for a lot of players to pull off, but after hitting practice for the past few days, I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere! I know it's only 35%, but there is a bit I can do beforehand that should bring me up to around 45%, and that'll be a huge achievement for me.

That's good! You're making progress fast! If you can pull off that 45% combo, you'll officially be better than me.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Combos are at the kore of MK so they're obviously of kritical importance. But don't be afraid to play ranked online if you don't know any 30% combos. Most of the players I play online can't pull them off at all.

gonna get into the online soon. Thinking of going with hellfire scorpion since it's the closest to MK9 scorpion and i did alright with him in that game.

please dont hate me.

Combos are at the kore of MK so they're obviously of kritical importance. But don't be afraid to play ranked online if you don't know any 30% combos. Most of the players I play online can't pull them off at all.
I think it really depends on the character too. Like with Jax yo'll kill them earlier if you know them, but if not whatever.

vg260

man i cant combo for SHITTTT

If you wait for hitstun to confirm after your first hit to press your next attack, it's too late. You kinda have to commit and dial the whole thing in, and maybe stop if a move is slow enough that the whole thing doesn't come out before you're done with the following buttons.

Requiem

You REALLY shouldn't be able to quit the match after a fatality or brutality. Just went through 7-8 matches where I won and the dude quit right at the end....

Shit is annoying

Manu

gonna get into the online soon. Thinking of going with hellfire scorpion since it's the closest to MK9 scorpion and i did alright with him in that game.

please dont hate me.

Forget about MK9. I thought I'd be using Mystic Ermac since it's the closest variation to his MK9 version, and I ended up liking Master of Souls more.

Go for the best results regardless of your attachment to a playstyle.

Think I'm very slowly getting the hang of the timing on combos. For the life of me I could not get the 4, BF4 combo in the tutorial, but then someone on Gamefaqs explained you're supposed to start pressing Back as you're letting go of 4 and I'm finally hitting it with a bit more consistency (still not automatic for me).

Speaking of the tutorial, it seems rather poor for beginners as it doesn't really bother explaining how timing button inputs should work and sort of assumes you have a basic sense of that stuff already. Seems like it's just geared for veterans looking for a quick overview of the controls before diving into the game.
As a complete rookie I can attest to this. I don't really consider it a fault, but it took me about an hour to get through the tutorial, the specials were especially difficult. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does online go down every day on consoles or is it just a PC problem?

Forget about MK9. I thought I'd be using Mystic Ermac since it's the closest variation to his MK9 version, and I ended up liking Master of Souls more.

Go for the best results regardless of your attachment to a playstyle.

well my attachment comes from how versatile hellfire scorpion is. He's basically MK9 scorpion but with a fireball.

we'll see, i tend to switch things up after a while of playing online and seeing how other characters work. I started injustice with Batman as my main but switched to supes soon after.

drotahorror

I've played online everyday on consoles without a problem so I guess PC.

Crazy. Online has been down for everyone this morning that I know. Towers don't work. Rooms don't load, ranked doesn't work. This is the case for several people on my friends list.

Maybe it's changed now but from 4am-8am, nothing.

Thanks seem to be up now****

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Which console BTW? I've only heard people having issues with PS4 and PC. For me on PC it's very rare I get to play online as the server is always down.

zogged

Ok, I've been experimenting in the lab for a while with Brawler Cassie and I'm having some trouble pulling off high percentage combos due to the knockback on a lot of her moves. I've managed to reliably pull off stuff like 1, 2, 3, 3, Takedown which hits for around 21% but apart from that I'm at a loss. Any advice would be much appreciated, same if anyone has tips for Erron.

Garlador

Actually got around to playing online for the first time yesterday after doing nothing but offline towers.

Online REALLY throws my game off. Combos and moves I know like the back of my hand are entirely thrown off by the latency or input delays. It was almost impossible for me to hammer out my combos because the window to do so was so different.

... That's going to be a major growing pain for me. Almost felt tempted to crawl back to the single-player towers again.

Has anyone found a consistent way to make a decent amount of Koins? I have just been doing the Klassic towers for costumes but only end up getting a few thousand a run which doesn't amount to much once you start unlocking things.

Gah! Why isn't there an option to tone down the violence. I'm home throughout the day with my three year old son. I'd sneak in a couple of matches here and there but don't want him walking in as blood is flying or someone's getting dismembered.

Really should be an option.

And since they're doing other DLC characters that seem to make 0 sense (ahmm...Jason). Why not bring in some celebrity martial artist?

Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
Jean Claude Van Damme
Jet Li
Jackie Chan
Steven Seagal
Ralph Macchio (come on...who wouldn't get a kick out of that?).

Call it the Celebrity DLC Pack and it's golden.

Dr. Buni

Has anyone found a consistent way to make a decent amount of Koins? I have just been doing the Klassic towers for costumes but only end up getting a few thousand a run which doesn't amount to much once you start unlocking things.
If PC, some players are getting 30k by losing the first match in the Endless Tower. It doesn't work for everyone though.

vg260

Nothing great if you patched the game.

What's worse is there is some stuff that's locked behind the Krypt gambling mini game. So, not only does it take forever, but you risk losing it all if you want all the brutalities. It's obnoxious. It already irked me, but the gambling thing is just insulting.

I think (I can't check since I reset my Faction level -_- ) just work on your Faction Level (equip the biggest boosts to your FXP) and then when you max that out, equip the top level of a profile badge set.

Don't know if that's just black dragon though since a full set from faction level 50 would net roughly 400-500 koins per fight minimum.

I really need to read this comic. Who publishes?

It's published by DC. That's also a photoshop; her actual quote in that speech bubble is "Bring it on starfuckers! I'm the best fighter here!"

Just started reading it myself digitally last night. The first collected volume (12 chapters, or what works out to about 4 standard size issues) is on sale for $5 on Google Play. I think they are normally $.99 a chapter.

What's worse is there is some stuff that's locked behind the Krypt gambling mini game. So, not only does it take forever, but you risk losing it all if you want all the brutalities. It's obnoxious. It already irked me, but the gambling thing is just insulting.

Well that's disappointing.... Back to the tower grind

at least on the PC you can use cheat engine to make the koins stuff a nonissue. sucks for the console folks stuck behind that randomness, that's just messed up.

Opto

Banned
I'm getting somewhere decent with Sonya, Covert Ops. Canceling a combo into a battle stance, then choosing the launcher kick, and then throwing them when they're on their way to the ground is pretty fun. I just don't have the endurance to extend the combo with juggling.

Top Bottom