• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Fmal

Banned
his slam is unblockable and i cant get close he uses that pillar move and if you get past that he hits you with an uppercut..

i coulda used a character with a teleport to get around him but i dont really like relying on that.

You can run/backdash his slam on reaction. I'm not sure what you mean by pillar move, but his Hell Sparks is -27 on block, and his Uppercut is is -16. A teleport is nice for punishes, but it's really not necessary with frame data like that.

BadAss2961

Played earlier and noticed my samurai pack costumes weren't showing. What's the deal?

EDIT: Wait nevermind, it's the update costumes that aren't showing -- the ones that are listed in the game's update history. I could've sworn I had them before.

Furyous

Anyone have Cassie tips? (or footage)

Learn the combos and stick to a variation. Practice combo breakers in practice mode on hard preferably. Get used to rushing your opponent. Cassie is all about pressure and pace. She's great at disrupting combos and stopping movement. Her ability to escape corners is legendary.

Voror

If you suck as bad as me I'd suggest sticking to training mode for a while, then doing AI matches of increasing difficulty. I still find easy a healthy challenge. I'm quite terrible!

I have been trying training a bit to see if I can start getting better at chaining things. Decided to focus on Takeda because I rather like his whole thing with the whips and whatnot.

Decided to rent this to try it out. Fighting games are something I always want to play and get at least decent at, but I just can't ever seem to manage it. Just remembering and inputting the commands for the special moves is something I have trouble with.

Would playing through Story Mode be a way to perhaps get more comfortable with everything?

Unfortunately, story mode isn't really the best way to learn the game. It just kinda throws you in there and expects you to figure out a new character every 4 or 5 fights. You can probably win by just doing a bunch of jump kicks and uppercuts, but you won't actually learn much that way.

The tutorial gives you a basic idea of how the game works. After that, I say just choose a character and stick with him while you learn the fighting game basics. Doesn't really matter who, just whoever you think looks cool. Play around in training mode to learn some combos and fight against the computer on progressively higher difficulty settings.

Voror

Unfortunately, story mode isn't really the best way to learn the game. It just kinda throws you in there and expects you to figure out a new character every 4 or 5 fights. You can probably win by just doing a bunch of jump kicks and uppercuts, but you won't actually learn much that way.

The tutorial gives you a basic idea of how the game works. After that, I say just choose a character and stick with him while you learn the fighting game basics. Doesn't really matter who, just whoever you think looks cool. Play around in training mode to learn some combos and fight against the computer on progressively higher difficulty settings.

I was wondering if that might be the case.

I hadn't actually looked at the tutorial, which is pretty silly in hindsight. I've decided to play around with Takeda and Kenshi with a focus on Takeda so I'll see how that pans out. Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if that might be the case.

I hadn't actually looked at the tutorial, which is pretty silly in hindsight. I've decided to play around with Takeda and Kenshi with a focus on Takeda so I'll see how that pans out. Thanks for the advice.

If you have any specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'm not a pro by any means, but I try to help out when I can. I know fighting games can be a little obtuse and tough to get into at first, but once you get over that first hump and start to understand how they work, it gets a lot easier.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
After finishing the story mode, I really think the next MK needs to get rid of character centered chapters. It would really make the story flow better, I feel.

Also, there needs to be a "no jump scares" option for the Krypt for the next game. Please.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Lol it really is hard to underestimate how good Cassie's DF+3 move is. Shot to the foot get em every time. 1,1,DF+3. Easy effective little combo.

Any Quan Chi players? Is there any way to combo off an MB db1 without bat into the vortex?

Basically I need something that combos off b2. I'm pretty sure best option is MB db1 into something then trance, d3, 50/50.

Xevren

Any Quan Chi players? Is there any way to combo off an MB db1 without bat into the vortex?

Basically I need something that combos off b2. I'm pretty sure best option is MB db1 into something then trance, d3, 50/50.

Depends on distance really. After b2 xx db 1 mb you can do b2 xx bf3. Sometimes you might have to run a little but it has a soft launch to where you can adjust. I've been tweaking my combo's a lot with him today. He's super nasty in the corner.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
So guys, where would you rank Demon Shinnok in the Pantheon of MK bosses? In terms of aesthetics, I would rank him at three. Tied with Dark Khan but just behind Onaga and Shao Khan, who are second and first respectivly. In terms of difficulty though, I would have to rank him at the bottom. He is WAY to easy for a MK boss.

Why is the first unlockable Black Dragon Faction Kill so much lamer than the default? Does that blade belong to a character that didn't make the cut or something? So lame.

patchday

I honestly don't fault them for not getting into it on that stream, if those guys even know the status. It was not really the point.
The next one has a Q&A w/ Boon.

back doesn't cancel it.

From TYM's system guide:

Thanks for posting that guide. I'm still working my way through the story but learning these techniques will help a LOT

Manu

Well, playing a Ranked match is practically impossible since the region locking will match me with anyone in all of Latin America. Tons nf disconnects and when it does connect it's just impossible to play.

I wish we could limit the search scope for ranked matches :/

The online being this broken is truly anger inducing. Combos in practice mode don't work at all online because EVERYBODY has 1 or 2 bars connection which means nothing works well at all. Get close to an enemy? Here is some lag and framedrops. Have fun keeping your combo going.

Korezo

Works on the pc version only, go to single player then towers and choose the endless battle tower, then let the cpu beat you on first oppponent .. collect 30k coins. Rinse and repeat, I did it while watching the NetherRealm stream today, had no coins and after 45-60 mins had a million. I hopefully will be able to buy everything in the krypt for that..

Doesn't work anymore or I don't understand bold part..

Voror

If you have any specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'm not a pro by any means, but I try to help out when I can. I know fighting games can be a little obtuse and tough to get into at first, but once you get over that first hump and start to understand how they work, it gets a lot easier.

Thank you, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I have any questions, which is rather likely.

Onemic

The online being this broken is truly anger inducing. Combos in practice mode don't work at all online because EVERYBODY has 1 or 2 bars connection which means nothing works well at all. Get close to an enemy? Here is some lag and framedrops. Have fun keeping your combo going.

At least you can get online. Im still getting indefinite "reading stats" screens when I try to play online.(2nd day now of this) This shits a damn mess

Xevren

Replying again, but instead of typing everything I just made video's instead!

Meterless and no bat midscreen.

Midscreen with 1 bar and no bat, overhead starter.

Midscreen one bar, and bat with overhead starter.

Midscreen meterless with a bat, low starter.

That should kinda show what I go for I think.

Manu

And now, after losing a fight due to lag and two disconnects, I got paired with a guy with a 125/20 record. I said "oh shit."

Then I kicked his ass.

Unicorn

Why is it when I watch videos of people playing next to none of them use alternate costumes. I just want to see Reptile wrecking in his alt costume.

Wallach

To be honest I dunno how often its worth setting up the D3 50/50 midscreen with B2 xx MB DB1; if you land that midscreen I'd use it to get a long ass corner push with like B2 xx BF3, run, F2122 into whatever depending on whether you got near the corner or not. You can pretty much get a corner ender from almost the middle of a stage that way, and if you're fighting your way out of a corner I'd rather just Trance and jump over them and push them the other way.

His corner game is where shit is at really.

Femto.

So I just played online for the first time tonight and I got 2 disconnects (w/heavy lag) out of the 6 matches I played.

Now it takes forever to connect online and I've been looking for an opponent for about 10 min now.

Is it me or is the net code for this game really that bad? Been practicing for days to only not be able to play online lol

Edit: I should mention that those 6 matches were against 2 players (3 matches each) and the connection would become craptastic on the third match. I want to say it might be on my end, playing on wifi, but I'm. It sure.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Nothing like getting your ass beat by Blackula, Mr. Aquaman, and SidtheHaze all night. Learned a lot of stuff tonight. Also, Sonya's Drone variation? Disgusting. I'm learning it ASAP.

Don't know if you guys are interested or not (or if there's already better stuff out there), but I made a short video of some corner BnBs for Jax. Barely anyone seems to be playing as Jax online (maybe there's more, just in game modes I'm not playing?) but he's really fun and really easy to use. I used the wrestler version here, but as far as I know this works for all of them (Gotcha grabs might not work in Pump Up?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_kPJSTZsU

I only included corner combos because of how easy it is to get people into a corner. At the end of the video it just shows some short strings and how far they launch the opponent, even blocked you can just keep it up until your opponent eventually tries to do something, sometimes they'll even just randomly stop blocking mid-string.

I tried to show a variety of starters (advancing, low, and overhead) as well as a decent amount of finishers. The combo you use depends on how comfortable you are with the combo/how good your connection is. Like the meter burn starter is a lot easier than the non-metered version, but obviously wastes meter. Some are easier to connect but do less damage, etc.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to hit people with 3 or 4 d3s in a row after they've been trained to watch out for your f21, a lot of people just stop blocking against Jax. If that's not enough, he has some of the best dialogue in the game.

"You think you're bad? You ain't bad."

To be honest I dunno how often its worth setting up the D3 50/50 midscreen with B2 xx MB DB1; if you land that midscreen I'd use it to get a long ass corner push with like B2 xx BF3, run, F2122 into whatever depending on whether you got near the corner or not. You can pretty much get a corner ender from almost the middle of a stage that way, and if you're fighting your way out of a corner I'd rather just Trance and jump over them and push them the other way.

His corner game is where shit is at really.

Replying again, but instead of typing everything I just made video's instead!

Meterless and no bat midscreen.

Midscreen with 1 bar and no bat, overhead starter.

Midscreen one bar, and bat with overhead starter.

Midscreen meterless with a bat, low starter.

That should kinda show what I go for I think.

Depends on distance really. After b2 xx db 1 mb you can do b2 xx bf3. Sometimes you might have to run a little but it has a soft launch to where you can adjust. I've been tweaking my combo's a lot with him today. He's super nasty in the corner.
You guys rock, thanks. :)

I do need to step up my corner game, don't really have any of his corner combos down.

Just got the 1000 hits on an invasion boss trophy. This entire time, I feel as if I'm literally the only person chipping away at him. The trophy for winning a 1v1 invasion fight...am I expected to kill scorpion?

Top Bottom