• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

kitzkozan

Yeah I was about to edit in that just nobody cares about Jacqui lol. I've seen some people do great stuff with her though. And yeah you're probably right about Takeda, but I feel the opposite. I like his character (even all his intros are super upbeat and caring) but I can't stand playing as him. I used all my skip tokens for his part of the story lol.

I never have the heart to do fatalities on him though.

The problem with Jacqui's design is that she's a faster Jax...

Lol, and Jax doesn't seems popular to begin with as I rarely seem him on the stream I watch.

Yeah, true. Takeda's popularity seem to come mostly from the fact he is a great character (mechanically), though. But popularity is popularity.

Jacqui doesn't get much love either, but she also doesn't get hate. She is just ignored :(

Jacqui is just a weird situation for me. Like, I'd say that I like her if asked, but at the same time, it feels she's just there.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
As a shit-tier player I don't feel like total ass with him so he must be mechanically sound, but I can't take his "cocky young guy" attitude or his voice.

I think he'll be my training dummy for tonight. Fuck Takeda.

Takeda isn't really that good. His defense is literally non existent. Has no reversals. His kunai pressure is gimmicky and hella telegraphed, you can easily armor through all his high low mixups and he is completely unsafe on most his specials ex or otherwise. Only reason why people are losing to him is character unfamiliarity. Blocking high takes virtually all high damage options from him. Best he can do is hit you with a kunai or a b3 d3 which is good for something like 8 percent (or ex kunai for a combo but good luck confirming that shit). People are overrating him like crazy.

As a shit-tier player I don't feel like total ass with him so he must be mechanically sound, but I can't take his "cocky young guy" attitude or his voice.

I think he'll be my training dummy for tonight. Fuck Takeda.
Yes. I like playing as Takeda, but his character and voice acting are both awful. So awful that it makes me not want to touch him, lol.

I really like Kung Jin. He basically has no story, but his design is great. A staff, that's a bow, that also shoots fireballs? So cool. A shame I don't like his playstyle.

Current impressions(Cassie player, over 300 online matches, 88/78 record with Cassie)

Pros:
Its fun and fast with a very likable cast
Online is good enough for me to put in countless hours of decent matches
Can still be somewhat competitive without knowing 30%-50% combos

Cons-
My thumb and hand have never hurt this bad playing a fighter. Could be the PS4 controller or the game mechanics.. I dont know.

Too many players are way too safe. Could be the game design or the online latency. But I am pretty tired of people missing moves with their back turned, yet are able to land the next move. Or whiffed special moves and even f'n X-rays, yet are able to land the next move before me.

The Dial-a-combo system. Look... I understand how the system works(and yes I have messed around with all the assists)and when I pull off the combos, it just "feels right" when it happens. My problem is the window and the precision required or lack thereof in regards to the execution. It just seems to have no rhyme or reason. I've watched videos with people's command strings and you see they are not precise. Yet I am trying to do the same and can have the exact command and yet the combo is not executed. Maybe I have a broken controller. I dont know.

TL;DR-the game has a great cast with its share of fun yet frustrating gameplay.
It will also kill your thumb and hand.
Some players are way too safe and hopefully will be patched

I was wondering about the controller, as well. I'm sure it's probably just me but diagonal inputs feel awkward on the DS4. If I'm learning to become at least semi-competent at this game should I invest in something else? What's everyone playing with?

Onemic

I was wondering about the controller, as well. I'm sure it's probably just me but diagonal inputs feel awkward on the DS4. If I'm learning to become at least semi-competent at this game should I invest in something else? What's everyone playing with?

DS4 controller is fine. You just have to get used to it.

And I dont think there are any diagonal inputs in the game, unless you turn on alternate control.

I normally play fighting games with a stick, but I've been using the PS4 d-pad. The only reason you should be doing diagonal inputs at all is for jump ins, and I don't really use them enough for it to be a problem. I got used to it by the time I was done story mode.

Shackzam

The problem with Jacqui's design is that she's a faster Jax...

Lol, and Jax doesn't seems popular to begin with as I rarely seem him on the stream I watch.

Gameplay wise? Jacqui is nowhere near what Jax can do. Her gameplan is completely different in all three variations. Jax is pretty far fast string that try to put pressure on you so he can get you in the corner. Jacqui is this weird footsie character that has an incredible walk speed that is made for making people whiff there normals and her to capitalize off of it. I'm just saying that Jacqui and Jax don't play alike at all.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Kano Cutthroat man. DO IT!!

Forward 2 1 2, Forward 2 1, Down back 1 EX version, Forward 2 1, Kanoball.

You're welcome. :)

You can down,down, A/X to boost his damage output a little bit too.

https://youtu.be/4_27XSqNQy4

HE'S A BEAST!

Thanks guys, first impressions are good. I love how he looks, sounds and plays, so that's a pretty solid trifecta. I will try your tips and combos after dinner but I gotta get that cottage pie cooking right now!

Babies first combo, similar to the one zlatko posted: http://gfycat.com/ScaredAbsoluteBrant#

Demoskinos

Yes. I like playing as Takeda, but his character and voice acting are both awful. So awful that it makes me not want to touch him, lol.

I really like Kung Jin. He basically has no story, but his design is great. A staff, that's a bow, that also shoots fireballs? So cool. A shame I don't like his playstyle.

Yeah, I'd like to like Kun Jin but I dunno... I just really don't like his normals for some reason.

How do you fight the Invasion Scorpion for longer than 1 minute? He has this armor and his difficulty seems to be on HARD cause he whips my arse!!

Demoskinos

How do you fight the Invasion Scorpion for longer than 1 minute? He has this armor and his difficulty seems to be on HARD cause he whips my arse!!

You gotta knock his armor off before you can actually do damage to him which.. is hard but I'd suggest low sweeps and pokes and just generally doing hit and runs until you can wear his armor off THEN try to go in and get him in an actual combo or x-ray

Demoskinos

Asked a couple of pages back. What is everyone talking about with this Invasion talk?

Every so often (seeming like it might be on weekends) you'll get an "Outworld Invasion" which is a special limited time event where you can fight an EXTREMLY hard invasion boss and help contribute to killing them. (They have literally like millions of HP)

There is also a invasion tower which awards more than normal war points for your faction. So its an easy way for factions to really take the lead in the faction war if enough people contribute by doing invasion towers and bosses

Thanks guys, first impressions are good. I love how he looks, sounds and plays, so that's a pretty solid trifecta. I will try your tips and combos after dinner but I gotta get that cottage pie cooking right now!

Babies first combo, similar to the one zlatko posted: http://gfycat.com/ScaredAbsoluteBrant#

You are well on your way dude. I love that you can almost up ball at the end of anything and it is also awesome for checking an opponents jumps. Plus, there aren't a lot of people playing him online so he is someone they don't know what to expect.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You are well on your way dude. I love that you can almost up ball at the end of anything and it is also awesome for checking an opponents jumps. Plus, there aren't a lot of people playing him online so something they don't know what to expect.

Yeah, I've literally seen him once online.

Every so often (seeming like it might be on weekends) you'll get an "Outworld Invasion" which is a special limited time event where you can fight an EXTREMLY hard invasion boss and help contribute to killing them. (They have literally like millions of HP)

There is also a invasion tower which awards more than normal war points for your faction. So its an easy way for factions to really take the lead in the faction war if enough people contribute by doing invasion towers and bosses

Ah ok. So it's online then. Do you just get a notice or does the boss just jumps in in the middle of an ongoing match?

Trickster

Mileena's so hard to play against. Fullscreen teleport, high/low projectiles, super quick low roll, 50/50 high/low combo's...

Slurmer

Banned
Mileena's so hard to play against. Fullscreen teleport, high/low projectiles, super quick low roll, 50/50 high/low combo's...

Roll hits mid. Teleport is -8 on hit. Low sai is negative on hit as well. Mileena is super unsafe...just block low, look out for ex roll, and punish. Mileena is super fun to play but she kind of sucks :(

Opto

Banned
I woke up this morning thinking about combos. This game is sinking deep into me.

I love Sonya Covert ops but I feel like I should explore her other variants because they obviously have better area control.

Trickster

Roll hits mid. Teleport is -8 on hit. Low sai is negative on hit as well. Mileena is super unsafe...just block low, look out for ex roll, and punish. Mileena is super fun to play but she kind of sucks :(

I don't block the roll unless I'm crouch blocking.

And yeah her moves are unsafe on block, as are every characters moves pretty much. My problem is that she's fucking everywhere. One second throwing low projectiles at fullscreen, next sceond she teleports with a high block move as I'm crouching to block the projectile. Then she does the roll move as I wake up into easy ass neutral jump juggle combo's. Then she throw combo's that I have to guess whether to block high or low. I just feel like I get punished way easier by mileena than a scorpion..or really any other character I come across semi often.

Demoskinos

Wow what? Roll hits mid? So you can standing block it? That makes fighting against mileena way easier now for me...

Manu

Yeah, Mileena's super easy because most players just spam the roll and teleport. Just stand block and punish.

The only thing she's got going for her is the low kick combo starter and the X-Ray, which you need to block three times and I always forget -_-

AtticuSMT

Banned
I don't block the roll unless I'm crouch blocking.

And yeah her moves are unsafe on block, as are every characters moves pretty much. My problem is that she's fucking everywhere. One second throwing low projectiles at fullscreen, next sceond she teleports with a high block move as I'm crouching to block the projectile. Then she does the roll move as I wake up into easy ass neutral jump juggle combo's. Then she throw combo's that I have to guess whether to block high or low. I just feel like I get punished way easier by mileena than a scorpion..or really any other character I come across semi often.

As someone who mains Mileena what the previous guy said is correct. She isn't that great in this one (but still fun) her best combos you can see coming a mile away with her forward 3 kick. My average combo does around 35-39% damage. But for her getting in is the hard part. Just block mid a lot of the time if she is far and if she is close low blocks will work often because you can see the wind up on her over heads. If you get caught by one of those it's good bye to 30% of your health

My usual combo off a over head is
F3,4,3 xx DD3 xx BF1 *land* BD3, F1,2+4, 1+3

Usually that is a good one off a overhead. And the lag on the ps4 isn't so bad I can't do the combo.

Shackzam

Why do sort of competent Quan Chi's have the shitiest connection? There getting away with murder with some of the shit they throw out and not getting punished.

Indignate

2 for forward throws, 1 for back throws. I think that's it, could be the other way around. It's pretty damn tough, tech time is pretty tight.

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre.

Took me a while to figure out that you couldn't just input the throw command to tech any throw like a normal fighting game.

vg260

I do wish there were some Non-Fatalities just to mix things up

It's my least favorite part of the game. I kinda hate them. The x-rays were a good take since you get the crazy stuff going on, but without the actual guts and body part detail.

Onemic

NRS is finally letting me connect to their servers after 2 days of infinite "reading stats data" screens. Now try out the online again.

I just realized that there are some faction kills that will literally never be unlocked. There is no chance of the Special Forces ever actually winning for a week lol.

Does Kombat Kard stuff also get reset when you change factions? Or does that stuff save?

Top Bottom