• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Majestad

Banned
Jax seems pretty fucking awesome in this. Not a huge fan of the new Superman punch, but his new moves (machine gun, rocket launcher and knee jump) are pretty boss. Plus the sound effects when he hits someone are better than ever.

For the invasion boss scoprion, my strategy was:
- Ermac, mystic;
- block low near constantly;
- always hold down after being knocked down to shave a few extra seconds off the match;
- "punish" any blocked attacks with quick down + 1 (it knocks off armour after a few hits - you need to get this off him quick!);
- once the armour is off, follow-up on blocked attacks with 2, 2, lift (or any other combo that has the lift as part of it). It does double duty of opening him up for combo strings and shaving precious seconds off the clock.

I managed to do massive damage and survive the clock about 1/4 of the time against him with this strategy, and I'm not particularly good at the game.

DasRaven

Invasion boss is like the most annoying Scorpion player you ever met.

Input-reading leg takedowns FTW! Thankfully Jaqui's FA Hand Cannon eats his armor and the super aggressive AI loves eating the MB rockets afterward. I'm probably 7-3 against Boss Scorpion in a short set last night.

Also got my first fatality glitch last night. Did FA Jacqui's Fist Pump in the Invasion Tower against RS Kitana and the face didn't change on the way in or out of the head cavity. But the eyes crossed in the harshest, cartoony way.

Tokubetsu

Really the only new characters I wouldn't miss if they never returned for another game are Ferra/Torr and Kotal Khan. Nothing against them either, I just never mess with slow/big characters. Out of the two Kotal is probably the one I really wouldn't miss. At least Ferra/Torr is a "fun" character with a great design. Feel like Kotal needed a couple more iterations before they should have settled.

Kinda feel that way about Jacqui (art wise). Her alt outfit is so much better than her default. They could have done some really dope alts but no, they gotta give scorpion, subs and kitana like a billion fucking alts while everyone else gets fucked.

RM8

It's my least favorite part of the game. I kinda hate them. The x-rays were a good take since you get the crazy stuff going on, but without the actual guts and body part detail.
Same. I never preform fatalities, really, x-ray moves during the actual fight are enough for me :p

EDIT: Holy cow at those intros. "You need to get nerfed", lol. Awesome, they should be unlockable.

Jesus fucking christ, how are you supposed to do anything about the invasion boss? He takes away half my fucking health before I can even get his armor off, and then he still manages to completely destroy me without armor. The furthest I've made it is to 4 seconds.

Xieldos

Invasion stuff isn't showing for me now but was when I was playing half hour ago. Is this something to do with my connection or is the invasion finished?

EDIT: Discovered it was to do with the connection....Invasion still going strong

Durden77

God dammit, I accidentally hit change faction, rejoined the Lin Kuei, and it looks like all my faction progress is gone. How lame.

Demoskinos

Jesus fucking christ, how are you supposed to do anything about the invasion boss? He takes away half my fucking health before I can even get his armor off, and then he still manages to completely destroy me without armor. The furthest I've made it is to 4 seconds.

If you have Goro use him. Every bar of super you get just do his punch walk. It has a stupid amount of armor on it and its good for chipping him down. Once you get his armor down just keep jumping on him with his teleport stomp. Not only does it do a ton of damage but it really eats up time on the clock because the animation is so long.

Dr. Buni

I don't get the hate for the fatalities, although I rarely perform them. X-rays are usually waste of bars so I don't use them that much either.

Brutalities and faction kills are more of my thing.
Kinda feel that way about Jacqui (art wise). Her alt outfit is so much better than her default. They could have done some really dope alts but no, they gotta give scorpion, subs and kitana like a billion fucking alts while everyone else gets fucked.
This. I am hoping they release DLC alts for other characters, but chances are they will release more Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Kitana alts.

Voror

Good god, how do you execute this teleport special *****? I'm pressing it as fast as I can to chain it, but it simply doesn't register when I do the teleport input. Hell, a lot of cases I feel like I'm getting these tutorial moves through sheer luck rather than anything related to skill. How does anyone actually remember all these?

Edit: So combo with a K is banned or something?

What's the deal with the Only A True Master trophy? I tried it with two controllers locally and nothing. Does it have to be online? Does the opponent have to have EXACTLY 90% health?

nvm, watched a youtube video and got it. honestly don't know what I did differently though, lol

Vaga

What's the deal with the Only A True Master trophy? I tried it with two controllers locally and nothing. Does it have to be online? Does the opponent have to have EXACTLY 90% health?

Win both rounds like it says, had some trouble figuring out myself. Works with two pads.

Brutalities and faction kills are more of my thing.
This. I am hoping they release DLC alts for other characters, but chances are they will release more Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Kitana alts.

Yeah, same here. I rarely ever perform a fatality. People seem to 'enjoy' Faction Kills from my experience.

Honestly, I just hope DLC characters gets alternate costumes this time.. :| MK9 they were left out, unless you had the Vita version. Injustice, only Zod had an outfit.. Which disappointed me because I wanted my Reverend 'Bo outfit. (〒︿〒)

Naa, it can be done offline. I got it when I playing my cousin, when I miraculously came back hard, hah. I think so, not really sure.

Tokubetsu

If I'm playing online and it was a great fight, or rematch I'll do a fatality. If it was some garbage teleporting scorpion they get faction killed.

Dr. Buni

Yeah, same here. I rarely ever perform a fatality. People seem to 'enjoy' Faction Kills from my experience.

Honestly, I just hope DLC characters gets alternate costumes this time.. :| MK9 they were left out, unless you had the Vita version. Injustice, only Zod had an outfit.. Which disappointed me because I wanted my Reverend 'Bo outfit. (〒︿〒)
Yup, agreed. Tanya totally needs that short haired alt from the concept art :)
Wow, Every game I've played so far hasnt been filled with tons of lag. Matches are finally playable.....Max was right?
Who is Max? And right about what? :eek:

You know what bugs me about the MKX Burger King Kids Club?

Shaolin
Shirai Ryu
Special Forces
...Special Forces

It's made up of every good Earthrealm faction, except Lin Kuei, and one faction has two members.

They could have had a new (as in, not fucking Frost) good guy female chinese ninja warrior with an unused so far elemental power instead.

if Jacqui was replaced with a Lin Kuei ninja girl, her relationship with the Shirai Ryu member Takeda would be even more shocking, and they could have started out on bad terms and grown together over the course of the game

Tokubetsu

You know what bugs me about the MKX Burger King Kids Club?

Shaolin
Shirai Ryu
Special Forces
...Special Forces

It's made up of every good Earthrealm faction, except Lin Kuei, and one faction has two members.

They could have had a new (as in, not fucking Frost) good guy female chinese ninja warrior with an unused so far elemental power instead.

if Jacqui was replaced with a Lin Kuei ninja girl, her relationship with the Shirai Ryu member Takeda would be even more shocking, and they could have started out on bad terms and grown together over the course of the game

Definitely. Really they just shouldn't have brought so many classic characters imo. I can see why they did it (safe!) but they nailed so many of these new dudes they could have played it more fast and loose. Johnny Cage doesn't need to be here. Jax either. I would have cut Goro and Liu Kang too tbh. Liu Kang would have actually been the perfect character to cut and fill with a female shoalin fighter.

I really need a better controller for this game on PS4.

I went into practice after getting frustrated over dropped Quan Chi trances to see what was up. Apparently the way I slide my finger across back to forward causes the game to register an "up" input in the middle which causes me to jump instead of doing a trance.

At first I figured it was just me being awful, but pig of the hut made a thread about the very issue. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I never had this issue on PS3/PC Injustice. :( I have no other fighting games to test with DS4 so I dunno.

I could adjust but it's a pretty deep habit, lol.

RM8

I went into practice after getting frustrated over dropped Quan Chi trances to see what was up. Apparently the way I slide my finger across back to forward causes the game to register an "up" input in the middle which causes me to jump instead of doing a trance.

At first I figured it was just me being awful, but pig of the hut made a thread about the very issue. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I never had this issue on PS3/PC Injustice. :( I have no other fighting games to test with DS4 so I dunno.

That's a legit awesome thing about the PC version. I've played MKX with 360, PS3 and GameCube controllers, lol. I settled for my Hori 360 one (the d-pad is superb).

Dr. Buni

I agree there should have been a Lin Kuei "kid". But I like Jacqui as she is, so I am conflicted.
Definitely. Really they just shouldn't have brought so many classic characters imo. I can see why they did it (safe!) but they nailed so many of these new dudes they could have played it more fast and loose. Johnny Cage doesn't need to be here. Jax either. I would have cut Goro and Liu Kang too tbh. Liu Kang would have actually been the perfect character to cut and fill with a female shoalin fighter.
Mortal Kombat without Liu Kang? Yeah, no thanks.

It should come with time but yeah I've never had a registered up when doing trance. Even tho my inputs aren't the prettiest with pad but it's definitely gotten better. here's a quan combo where you can see my inputs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIxca5YnU0&app=desktop

Voror

Is that fight pad they made for consoles any good? Or would it be better to invest in a fight stick down the line since I plan on getting SFV as well?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using a 360 controller on PC, it's not great. The stick is really inaccurate, the DPad is much better but still not perfect.

Is that fight pad they made for consoles any good? Or would it be better to invest in a fight stick down the line since I plan on getting SFV as well?

I was looking into it earlier and it seems to be falling apart in people's hands - probably not highly recommended.

It should come with time but yeah I've never had a registered up when doing trance. Even tho my inputs aren't the prettiest with pad but it's definitely gotten better. here's a quan combo where you can see my inputs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIxca5YnU0&app=desktop
Haha, I love it, you mash buttons at the end of strings/specials as much as I do, lol.

I actually hit R2 twice on the MB rune (in time with each sound) for no reason. It just feels good.

But yeah I should probably just adjust as tapping rather than sliding will probably lead to more accurate combos in general. Something else I've noticed is the way I slide down to back (QCB) sometimes doesn't register the down as I slide very quickly. So I just get a back....

Again never struggled with this on DS3 controller. Sucks.

RM8

Yes!!! I almost want to buy the PC version just to play with my Hori 360. :((((
Double dip during a sale! We have mods and stuff :p

I've been using a 360 controller on PC, it's not great. The stick is really inaccurate, the DPad is much better but still not perfect.
The official 360 d-pad is beyond terrible. I'm honestly not sure what I'll do with the one included with my Alpha, lol. The Hori one is superb and it's what I use for USFIV and KOFXIII.

Eh, about that last part
but the Shirai Ryu and the Lin Kuei aren't enemies anymore by the time of the kids' involvement in the story mode so why would they be on bad terms?

Onemic

Who is Max? And right about what? :eek:

Maximilion the twitch/youtube streamer. He's also a gaffer here. I think it was two days ago when he was streaming, the servers were acting all wonky so he was constantly switching between the xbone and ps4 versions, and when they came back on, Max said that he felt the online had improved as he wasnt getting any laggy matches. I wasnt able to test it out myself as I kept getting hit by infinite loops of "reading stats data" until today.

Top Bottom