• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Softgels

Banned
Well, I beat the story and klassic towers with everyone except 2 or 3 that crash to desktop every time, so now what? If you don't play online, there doesn't seem to be a lot of replay value like the past few games. MK9 had the fun challenge thing, Konquest modes in the PS2 era games. Idk. I guess I'm done. Fun while it lasted.

Is it me or is Johnny like impossible to play online? His combos are so strict.

Or any tips for him in general? He's so cool but I'm terrible with him lol.

Tokubetsu

Anyone else excited for the upcoming Mezco figure line?

mkx.jpg

Will there be a Cassie Cage or D'vorah figure? If not then no.

=P

vg260

Well, I beat the story and klassic towers with everyone except 2 or 3 that crash to desktop every time, so now what? If you don't play online, there doesn't seem to be a lot of replay value like the past few games. MK9 had the fun challenge thing, Konquest modes in the PS2 era games. Idk. I guess I'm done. Fun while it lasted.

Have you tried playing online or have anyone locally? That's where the real replay value is for a fighter.

Even with all the extra modes, it's still at it's core a 1v1 competitive game. If you don't play versus other people it's going to get stale.

So, what's the situation on the mobile unlocks?

I own no smartphone and see no reason to, but want the classic females and Injustice Scorpion.

Anyone have those in the main game yet?

Right now, you can only get Klassic Kitana costume. Klassic Mileena and Injustice Scorpion are probably unlocked in the other modes that aren't even available yet or are down because of maintenance. So I've just been playing the waiting game really.

Klassic Kitana is nice though.

Softgels

Banned
Have you tried playing online or have anyone locally?

Even with all the extra modes, it's still at it's core a 1v1 competitive game. If you don't play versus other people it's going to get stale.

I don't really play any games online and I'm playing this on PC, which means online barely works at all anyway. But fighting games are usually the least enjoyable online to me anyway since one person always has a better connection and can fuck the other player because of it. It feels like the last few MK games had more to offer from a single player, offline perspective.

Tried playing again. No. The weight is too heavy for all characters. Unless I'm playing completely wrong it seems so slow. No Nightwolf playable either. Come on Nether realm.

Tried playing again. No. The weight is too heavy for all characters. Unless I'm playing completely wrong it seems so slow. No Nightwolf playable either. Come on Nether realm.
You're playing wrong :p

At the very least it's faster than MK9 and SF4. And Nightwolf was everyone's least favorite. This is legitimately the first time I've seen anyone make either of those complaints in this thread.

Calling it slow but then saying the characters aren't floaty enough is also weird :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Online is worse than usual tonight, 10 games, 10 people and all unplayable due to massive lag and delay.

Would you say the AI on harder difficulties in MKX are as bad as the nonsense input reading AI like in UMK3 or perhaps Super Turbo or is it actually somewhat more fair, such playing against a very skilled opponent who simply is just outmaneuvering you at most opportunities.

I generally don't take much stock in fighting game AI, but if it's a decent way to learn how to defend against certain situations like some combo setups. Then I might just turn the AI on in Practice Mode when I'm doing defense training.

I would prefer to be able to record the AI doing a specific series of attacks and then play them back to defend against it, but the "record" function does something entirely else.

I actually never played the ai in marvel. Though I would say it's definitely worse then sf4. Nonsense is exactly how the ai in this is. Get knocked down, if you're holding down and block while down, ai will overhead or throw you.

Play me online, I'll show you how fast a bar of health can deplete with my Raiden all up on your ass. ;3

Omg Kotal Kahn is amazing.

Is he? Everyone's screaming garbage. :p

I still need to learn how to do his Sun beam in the Sun God variation. (´・_・`)

Demoskinos

Play me online, I'll show you how fast a bar of health can deplete with my Raiden all up on your ass. ;3

Is he? Everyone's screaming garbage. :p

I still need to learn how to do his Sun beam in the Sun God variation. (´・_・`)
The throw powers up as you continually do it. The 3rd time he will do the full combo with the sunbeam.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I second this. D'Vorah is the best.

That is a funny way of saying Ermac.
She really isn't a very hard character to play
Yeah, just came back from a training sesh with these two characters (specifically Swarm and Spectral respectively) and I'm actually doing some good with these 2. Might work with them further.

Nimble Reptile is such a G too though.

Wait till your save corrupts on a crash! I nearly flipped my shit until psn+ saved the day.

Oh wow, had no idea that was happening to people too. I just immediately updated my cloud saves. I don't have auto-upload turned on because it apparently uploads all online recorded gameplay save files as well and I'm worried about hitting the cloud storage limit.

I haven't commented on the lag once this thread as I wanted to play the game for a good while before I did.

For the most part every game I play online the lag is so minimal I can't tell or there's that like tenth of a second lag that isn't awful, but you can still kinda feel it. Occasionally I run into people with just awful lag, but that is very rare and I'm convinced it's their fault.

I read a lot about people having issues with lag/netcode. So the game seems to be very hit and miss, some people do really well, some do really badly.

Hopefully they improve on it, but on PS4, for me, it's better than Injustice.

When is MK supposed to start again that was pretty entertaining. DIdn't know Summoner Quan Chi was so badass. I did know that Grandmaster Subzero OP though

Oh man, Warlock Quan Chi craps all over cheesy Grandmaster Sub players. How satisfying.

I mean anyone can really, but just kicking them in the back of the head with every clone feels good.

shaowebb

When is MK supposed to start again that was pretty entertaining. DIdn't know Summoner Quan Chi was so badass. I did know that Grandmaster Subzero OP though

Grandmaster Subzero is NOT OP and its dangerous on day 10-ish to popularize that honestly. This is how Subzero got overnerfed early in MK9

Sub zero dies to low zoning tools, projectiles, fast zoning and well spaced jump ins alongside of disjointed hitboxes and long range pokes. He's a full frontal assault of low slide ins into combos and iceclones keeping him inside, but get behind him and he's very vulnerable. Use low tools to shut off his way in under zoning and he's just as vulnerable.

Its the first major and you see tons of extremely shallow players and folks who don't even act like they understand how to maximize movement or getup off the ground. Fchamp is a big example of this. Folks aren't blocking or ducking and using run because they don't know how far they can run or how many dashes they get on block or hit vs stuff to stay in. Folks aren't used to their characters and how to wakeup vs various offensive tactics yet so they are getting complete blowups often on stream after knockdowns.

Subzero isn't OP and Fchamp played a very shallow Kano who only had Knives honestly. The matchup was simply outclassed by both the player and the counterpick of tools to get in under knives with slide. Had Fchamp knew his moves and wakeups he'd have MB ball or knives more on wakeup to break out. He'd have used more knee's to open up stuff and he'd have baited slide ins more to blowup Tom's rushdown.

Its not the characters at all. Its a new game and folks do NOT know matchups and more than that do NOT know their own characters or how to get up or get in consistently. Wait on any character talk for a good few months till both the game and the matchups are learned more. There are like around 60+ variations in the game. Thats a LOT to take in.

Oh man, Warlock Quan Chi craps all over cheesy Grandmaster Sub players. How satisfying.

I mean anyone can really, but just kicking them in the back of the head with every clone feels good.

Quan has a lot of tools to mess with Sub Zero. He has tools that shut off the slide up approach forcing rushins and jumps but with Puggles (the summoned bat) he can highly interfere with either by doing high low mixups vs rushdown or just straight up anti air and all lead into combos. He's a mixup machine and with no way to stay on top of the guy Sub Zero is exposed on the weaknesses he has. As I said...Sub ain't OP. Wonderchef played against Sub Zero's tools nonstop with mixups and frequent low shots with those energy spires to keep Tom Brady doing runups and jumps. His MB options vs zoning like that aren't that great so it came down to reads vs the mixups.

Game is great so far and this match started to show the level of depth and mindgames that we should start seeing regularly in a month or so...at which point we will see more variation swaps. :D

For sure. I don't think it's safe to call anyone in the game OP with tech still being discovered every day. Plus I never allow myself to go into a match with the mentality that the other person is using an "OP" character. It's just setting yourself up for failure from the getgo.

But I also am the type of person who tends to play low tier characters because enjoyment of playstyles is more important to me than having a good/well rounded character. I'm not looking to place in a tournament.

I happily played Ares in Injustice and it made those wins against stronger characters that much more satisfying.

Amani

Surprised there's no MKX match thread or something; or at least, I haven't seen any. Think I'm gonna give online a go, since I know a grand total of 1 combo with 'Mac.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Heavy Weapons Jax is so fun. Jax is just awesome and rewarding in general, the sound when he hits someone is so satisfying.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Struggling with Cutthroat Kano, I just don't "get" how to play him yet. I need to find some high level play of him. And I need some more online friendly combos.

KaYotiX

Banned
Learning Kitana now, really like the assasin variant.

Wish I could play against PC folks, a few friends of mine need a good beat down. :)

Actually started the campaign on medium today after spending all week in practice and solo matches on easy. Really great presentation. I know it's not how one learns the game but it's handy to get a little taste of the few characters I probably never would have used otherwise.

And look at that, chapter 2 is for the character I've been practicing with all day. This won't take long.

16BitNova

Hey guys, just wondering, what's the deal with release check, alternate controls, and input shortcut? What's recommended and what do they do? Sorry if I'm late asking this, im sure it's been asked before.

Hey guys, just wondering, what's the deal with release check, alternate controls, and input shortcut? What's recommended and what do they do? Sorry if I'm late asking this, im sure it's ben asked before.

Release check is garbage and should be turned off because it makes it impossible to do certain things.

Top Bottom