• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Omega, what made you assume that I didn't know all that stuff? xD I was merely talking about his design as of now, and wondering if there will be any changes.

Ex: Different mask, or removal of rocky exterior on his chest.

Because clearly they have enough time to get everything the way they want it before. Was Tanya rushed that they couldn't get her the way they wanted to originally? Or did they change her appearance because of feedback?

I expect various rock attacks. A boulder missile that turns the enemy to stone for a few seconds, earthquake like ground pounds. Even stomping the ground with his feet and causing rocky stalagmites to come up from the ground and spike the enemy. These are the attacks he had in the games he appeared in.

That's what I'm honestly expecting for Tremor as a new move. I could see everything else he had originally from Special Forces returning for his moveset. His variation sets are pretty mysterious. Maybe he can play up the fireball move he had with molten rocks? I guess that'd be a steal from Blaze.

I'm predicting that he'll have a grappler variant.

OmegaDL50

Ah I wasn't aware you played Special Forces.

Not many people did....I suppose it's generally poor quality had something to do with it.

As for Tanya...I honestly don't know what is unique about her.

I mean outside of some purple fireball, a Cammy like spiral / drill kick thing, a ripped Boomerang Toss from Jade from UMK3. (MK4 movelist at least)

She doesn't have any particular traits about her that make her stand out. As far as I remember.

Now that she is in MKX...eventually, I hope they put some effort into her and make her something unique identifiable.

Demoskinos

Kinda sucks being three trophies from Platinum knowing it's never gonna happen. I just don't have the heart to cheat or cheese for the 10 ranked win streak =(

Yeah the 10 ranked wins is going to be my bane there as well. I'll get 3-4 wins and then get thrown someone who is really good. :(

OmegaDL50

Tremor in MK9 Vita was basically a Challenge Tower only character.

There was several unique aspects about the Challenge tower I wish was available in the main game.

For example the Cyber Reptile costume.

maxresdefault.jpg

RM8

I just faced a Sub-Zero wearing the blue steel costume. It looks so cool :0 I kind of want to buy it, but I don't even play Sub-Zero, lol.

Kinda sucks being three trophies from Platinum knowing it's never gonna happen. I just don't have the heart to cheat or cheese for the 10 ranked win streak =(

I'm actually glad I got that out of the way already. I got it pretty fair, but I did go against beginners players for half of them. The last one was a very skilled Kenshi. I was in sweats, knowing if I lost, that I'd have to start all over. ⊙﹏⊙

Ah I wasn't aware you played Special Forces.

Not many people did....I suppose it's generally poor quality had something to do with it.

As for Tanya...I honestly don't know what is unique about her.

I mean outside of some purple fireball, a Cammy like spiral / drill kick thing, a ripped Boomerang Toss from Jade from UMK3. (MK4 movelist at least)

She doesn't have any particular traits about her that make her stand out. As far as I remember.

Now that she is in MKX...eventually, I hope they put some effort into her and make her something unique identifiable.

It's all good, I still appreciate the thought in the post. It could still help others on the backstory for Tremor.

I'm expecting the usual stuff she has had before, but I'm not sure what they can pull in for variations. Unless they 'boomerang' like weapon as part of one variation, which I can see happening.

One of the main reasons I like her was because of the Spiral Arrow like move she had. As I think about it, what if they pulled a Batman? In that she could use her 'boomerang' in her normals/dial-a-combos. It'd be interesting.

I dunno, we can all hope for something unique!

Tremor was playable in MK9 vita no? Or was that just some extra mode?

Eh, kinda. He was only playable in one Tower Mission. But he borrowed animations from characters. Ex: Jax's ground pound, Smoke's stance/moves.

Arttemis

I'd buy a MK9 remaster. The input speed requirements in MKX are just so dial-a-combo, that it makes me like MK9 even more than I did, which was already a hell of a lot.

OmegaDL50

I'd buy a MK9 remaster. The input speed requirements in MKX are just so dial-a-combo, that it makes me like MK9 even more than I did, which was already a hell of a lot.

The combo system in MKX is a refinement of what already existed in MK9.

MK9 combo mechanics were the same 2 to 3 hit chain into launcher, juggle with two or three hit chain, extend with EX, Relaunch with Neutral Jump Punch, or finish with special, etc. Just like MKX is.

I am not sure what you remember from MK9's combo system being so different than MKX is.

Dr. Buni

Oh, is that so? xD You are probably right, maybe Jason is clouding my mind... Or. Maybe you're just afraid of the secret that I hold! HA.

I win! ψ(`∇´)ψ
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I admit defeat.
I'd buy a MK9 remaster if they redo all the ugly outfits and character models in that game. So basically turn it into in MK10 with different characters.

Arttemis

The combo system in MKX is a refinement of what already existed in MK9.

MK9 combo mechanics were the same 2 to 3 hit chain into launcher, juggle with two or three hit chain, extend with EX, Relaunch with Neutral Jump Punch, or finish with special, etc. Just like MKX is.

I am not sure what you remember from MK9's combo system being so different than MKX is.
It's not the design or style of combos, it's the speed and queuing necessary for them to connect. And it's not my memory, as I went back and forth between MK9 and MKX before I traded it in, and there's a distinct difference between them.

I can enter combos far more patiently in MK9. Combos won't chain in MKX unless they're started many frames before current one ends, where as the window of opportunity to chain attacks in 9 is huge in comparison. I could mix up combos on the fly, as opposed to frantically entering an entire string.
Small things are also made more convoluted. Kung Lao's dive kick can be performed immediately after an aerial jump-in kick just by pressing down as it connects. You have to queue an additional down-4 in MKX.

OmegaDL50

Kung Lao's dive kick can be performed immediately after an aerial jump-in kick just by pressing down as it connects. You have to queue an additional down-4 in MKX.

You didn't turn off Release Check (negative edge) in the options in MKX did you?

Because what you describe is exactly what negative edge entails, which is a constant in MK9 and can't be turned off.

You may be familiar with the term, if you aren't It basically allows you more or less override your current input with a special move. It's different from canceling in the sense that you can merely input the motion during an attack (buffer) and the special move comes out immediately afterward with no additional input

Such as holding down the require button and inputting the motion and releasing the button and the special executes. It sounds like you are negative edging out of a Jump Kick and immediately into a Divekick.

Oi. I just realized.. I wonder when we'll see those 'DLC' fatalities?

I just faced a Sub-Zero wearing the blue steel costume. It looks so cool :0 I kind of want to buy it, but I don't even play Sub-Zero, lol.

Well, you could always buy it to support the FGC. It goes to a pot bonus. :)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I admit defeat.

Too easy. ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Tried to do my Reptile combos online today. Got rekt.

I couldn't do his simple back 2, forward 2, 1, 1+2... the 1+2 would never come out.Ugh.

Offline I can hit this 100/100 times---add some online delay and I can go fuck myself. I think I'm cursed to just be a Takeda player no matter how hard I try he pulls me back in!

Isn't the string f+2,1,1+3? IE: f+2,1,throw?

That might be the problem.

Tremor in MK9 Vita was basically a Challenge Tower only character.

There was several unique aspects about the Challenge tower I wish was available in the main game.

For example the Cyber Reptile costume.

maxresdefault.jpg
And the thing is, it could have coexisted with Reptile.

"Oh, you thought you were the last of your race? Well we found one more... for the Lin Kuei cyborg initiative!"

shaowebb

Whoa...my wife is actually wanting to learn to play MKX now because of the characters. She really digs Cassie Cage, Johnny, and Erron Black as characters and designs. I haven't seen her take an active interest in a fighter since Guilty Gear XX reload with Testament and Zappa.

Grimsen

Whoa...my wife is actually wanting to learn to play MKX now because of the characters. She really digs Cassie Cage, Johnny, and Erron Black as characters and designs. I haven't seen her take an active interest in a fighter since Guilty Gear XX reload with Testament and Zappa.

Eh. I was showing my GF b33-ex ice option select with Subz, and her eyes glazed over after 20 seconds. Probably turned her off the game forever. :p

KorrZ

I wish Ermac had more costumes. He's definitely my favourite character to play as but it's a shame that he only has 1 alt costume when others have 4-5 :(. Would love to see a classic red ninja Ermac please!

Marvel

could never
I wish Ermac had more costumes. He's definitely my favourite character to play as but it's a shame that he only has 1 alt costume when others have 4-5 :(. Would love to see a classic red ninja Ermac please!

He gets an Egyptian one from the Kombat pack I believe.

slackjaw10

Neo Member
FUCK KUNG JIN AND HIS FUCKING STICK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Yep. Although I suck against anyone who uses constant pressure (Johnny, Liu Kang, etc).

Kinda weird how they'd make the Black Dragon a faction over something like Outworld. The latter has a lot more significance to the story than the former.

This. It's like, do I pick BD and just play as Kano all the time? Though if you think about it, Lin Kuei is the same way as it has exactly one member.

A wife who is into fighters, holy grail right there, lucky you!

Kano is the biggest improvement from MK9 to X.

He is so much more fun to play, and all 3 variations are interesting.
He is still a pretty simple character, but his tools are actually useful.

Just wish I had more reasons to use his upward eye beams, just because I think they look cool.

That upward eye laser is so terrible! Absolutely no reason to use it over up ball, i can only imagine it is used in a brutality or something.

I feel like I'm missing something with him, how do you really open people up using him? IIRC only the cutthroat variant has an overhead at all, so I would think you can just block low and chill. Haven't really fought any Kano players though.

I think for Cybernetic, you shod do combo strings hit confirmed into his knives throw, that seems to leave kano at an advantage to then go into a full damaging combo, esp if you use ex knives throw.

Commando seems to be more about defensive play and employing ex command grabs that have armour.

Windforce

You didn't turn off Release Check (negative edge) in the options in MKX did you?

Because what you describe is exactly what negative edge entails, which is a constant in MK9 and can't be turned off.

You may be familiar with the term, if you aren't It basically allows you more or less override your current input with a special move. It's different from canceling in the sense that you can merely input the motion during an attack (buffer) and the special move comes out immediately afterward with no additional input

Such as holding down the require button and inputting the motion and releasing the button and the special executes. It sounds like you are negative edging out of a Jump Kick and immediately into a Divekick.

I have negative edge turned off and yet I'm having the exact same issues as the other guy discussing this issue.

I just cannot seem to adapt to creating an enormous 'queue' of commands several frames before they happen. It isn't clicking for me. Ah, any extra inputs? Your combo drops.

I'm coming from MK9 and felt the difference too. To make matters worse I'm mostly a SF player.

vg260

Looks good - but his original costume is still the coolest which is kind of a shame! Thanks for the link.

This looks like the best to me. Same with the Kraken Reptile and Vampire Mileena.

But I love movie monster trope stuff.

Kano is the biggest improvement from MK9 to X.

He is so much more fun to play, and all 3 variations are interesting.
He is still a pretty simple character, but his tools are actually useful.

Just wish I had more reasons to use his upward eye beams, just because I think they look cool.
I love Kano's spindash. I would totally play a Sonic game as Kano.

Someone shop it.

Astral

I'm watching some steamer use Jacqui and shut shooting people. He explained how if you duck without blocking it'll miss but how do you even guess that. I feel sorry for the people fighting this guy because it just doesn't look fun.

Marvel

could never
Jacqui is definitely a fighter I want to get good with in the near future, I played a dude yesterday and the air juggles to run in combo's had me reeling. A very fun thing to watch, she's so fast.

Arttemis

I have negative edge turned off and yet I'm having the exact same issues as the other guy discussing this issue.

I just cannot seem to adapt to creating an enormous 'queue' of commands several frames before they happen. It isn't clicking for me. Ah, any extra inputs? Your combo drops.

I'm coming from MK9 and felt the difference too. To make matters worse I'm mostly a SF player.

We're not the only ones, either. Pages back there were people making the same complaints.

I'm watching some steamer use Jacqui and shut shooting people. He explained how if you duck without blocking it'll miss but how do you even guess that. I feel sorry for the people fighting this guy because it just doesn't look fun.

All 'high' attacks are dodged by ducking, blocking or not.

Astral

We're not the only ones, either. Pages back there were people making the same complaints.

All 'high' attacks are dodged by ducking, blocking or not.

Except this attack can't be blocked if you're both ducking and blocking. I don't have the game but it just seems weird. It's probably a hitbox thing when you're blocking vs just ducking.

Man, I wish the game had an artbook.

There's a lot of interesting concept art provided, I'd love to see more.

Some good ones:

Torr as a more normal looking dude.

Kung Lao's cool mask that got scrapped.

Some crazy ass ideas for where they would have taken Jax.

Rebellious Jacqui, as a ninja instead of a soldier

An amazing, sick as hell Raiden costume that I would buy as DLC in a heartbeat.

Not posted online:

The awesome Shinnok concepts where he had flames floating over/orbiting his head and super long billowing cloth robes that made him look like a ghost.

Top Bottom