• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

kitzkozan

Even though 50/50s and vortexes are 100% more degenerate for a game, it's a lot harder for bad players to comprehend what's happening to them when someone has them in a corner and is mixing them up. They know they're losing, but they see themselves getting hit in melee range by several different moves so they can't really articulate any reasons as to why what they're losing to is "spammy" or "broken."

When scrubs get shot from across the screen by a Jacqui, LK, or Kano, and they can't close the distance to hit their sick combo they've been practicing in Training Mode, they can identify the problem immediately (in this case, fireballs) and immediately start bitching about it.

I was observing King-Worrington cheese his way to one victory after another and I understand why so many people can't handle someone who's got a grasp of the mechanics with a full auto Jacqui.

You can easily duck under Jacqui's machine gun fire without having to block, but not against missiles (thus you can never get too comfortable). Also, you will get hit from the machine gun fire if your character is getting back up after being knocked down. It's invisible to the eyes of the average player, but there's a transitional phase where you are vulnerable to high attacks as you get up and you have to block if someone is throwing a projectile at you. Thus, people are getting mixed up as they never block once they get up even if they found out earlier that they could duck under projectiles without having to take chip damage. They become confused (or should I say mind fucked) and just stand there blocking everything, losing patience and getting destroyed by projectiles­.

stn

I sympathize and all but I guess I just can't relate. I've gotten in and beaten some tournament-level Ryu players in ST, for example, with characters like Cammy. And zoning can mean instant death in that game. At least in MKX fireballs don't do as much damage. There's some stuff that I agree is terribly designed, such as Kabal's instant air fireball in MK9. But all the projectiles in MKX look normal to me (so far). People need to level up before bitching. Game hasn't even been out a month and people are already crying about the first nerf patch.

@Majestad

Too many characters and variations. But it seems like the following are strong:

Sub-Zero (Grandmaster)
Kung Jin (Boujutsu)
Jax (Wrestler)
Erron Black (Outlaw)
Quan Chi (Summoner)

I've seen these mentioned on Test Your Might most often.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if Sonic Fox captured lightning in a bottle at Fatal 8 or what, but I've yet to see anyone play Erron and just absolutely run over the competition as hard as he did.

Is Sonic Fox still playing Erron now that Fatal 8 is over?

yeah he is. won another tournament since with him.

Fmal

Banned
I sympathize and all but I guess I just can't relate. I've gotten in and beaten some tournament-level Ryu players in ST, for example, with characters like Cammy. And zoning can mean instant death in that game. At least in MKX fireballs don't do as much damage. There's some stuff that I agree is terribly designed, such as Kabal's instant air fireball in MK9. But all the projectiles in MKX look normal to me (so far). People need to level up before bitching. Game hasn't even been out a month and people are already crying about the first nerf patch.

To be clear, I don't think zoning is overpowered or cheap or anything (except for Kain in Garou fuck that guy), that's just why I think scrubs hate it more than anything.

I was observing King-Worrington cheese his way to one victory after another and I understand why so many people can't handle someone who's got a grasp of the mechanics with a full auto Jacqui.

You can easily duck under Jacqui's machine gun fire without having to block, but not against missiles (thus you can never get too comfortable). Also, you will get hit from the machine gun fire if your character is getting back up after being knocked down. It's invisible to the eyes of the average player, but there's a transitional phase where you are vulnerable to high attacks as you get up and you have to block if someone is throwing a projectile at you. Thus, people are getting mixed up as they never block once they get up even if they found out earlier that they could duck under projectiles without having to take chip damage. They become confused (or should I say mind fucked) and just stand there blocking everything, losing patience and getting destroyed by projectiles­.

It takes 17 unblocked Jacqui shots to gain one bar of meter, and you can block the missile call on reaction.

Beyond all that, games shouldn't be balanced around bad players.

I don't know if Sonic Fox captured lightning in a bottle at Fatal 8 or what, but I've yet to see anyone play Erron and just absolutely run over the competition as hard as he did.

Wasn't fatal 8 like 2 days worth of practice before the tourney? I mean not saying the guy isn't good but it could very well be the other players just prepared for other characters more.

stn

To be clear, I don't think zoning is overpowered or cheap or anything (except for Kain in Garou fuck that guy), that's just why I think scrubs hate it more than anything.
Yeah, I hear 'ya. My post wasn't aimed at you specifically, just more of a general thing. My general beef with people complaining is that developers tend to want to appease the shitty players so that they stick around (ex. Capcom nerfing projectiles in SFxT when they weren't that big a deal). Like you said, you don't want the game to be balanced around bad players. Me either!

I'm a Kotal Kahn main, he gets zoned out hard. I'm just using my patience and experience to get in, I figure everyone else can do it, too. As I said, its hard for me to sympathize with people sometimes because I've been at the worst end of zoning (facing DGV's ST Ryu, for example). That's why I become slightly annoyed when I see people say "spam".

And honestly, the players that are throwing projectiles without thought are the ones that should be the most predictable. Take Jacqui, for example. Walk and crouch. Prepare to block when she has meter, make her waste it on EX machine gun. Gives her less meter to block break when you finally get in. I just like seeing players "figure shit out" before going nuts on Twitter and moaning about what needs to be nerfed.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

He just beat justin wong 5-2 with Erron Black. Very powerful character. Has hi and low combos coming out of his ass. For example low combo Back+3, 2, Down, back 4 which sets them up for a launcher combo Back+3, 2, Up+1, neutral jump and then combo finisher with tackle or whatever. Or how about simply forward+1 (overhead), 2, back, forward 4 (low slide) for 17% damage. On top of this he has the overhead jump kick thing (forward 4) which takes out anyone crouch blocking mid screen. They wake and stand block to protect themselves then you can hit them with sand ball or low slide. Also has hidden gunshot move (simply 3,2) which hits LOW. So yeah, a low, insanely fast projectile on top of everything.

Tahnit

Banned
so glad i went ps4 on this one. Really loving it and the graphics are very very close to pc. But it sounds like pc is getting fucked.

zlatko

Banned
My personal top 5:

Erron Black Outlaw
Scorpion Inferno
Ermac Master of Souls

And the others are debatable but
Dvorah swarm queen
Reptile (all three variants)

Trickster

These assholes need to start putting in fine print "except PC players" for every one of these fucking announcements.

Oh right, they don't care

To be fair, we already get like 8 times the amount of gold from towers that console players do. Unless they've fixed that since I last did a tower

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
so glad i went ps4 on this one. Really loving it and the graphics are very very close to pc. But it sounds like pc is getting fucked.

I can't sit down my ass is so raw.

As a terrible player who could probably be defeated by spamming any mechanic in the game, I can honestly say I can't think of anything that really needs a hard nerf. If someone can repeatedly zone me to death I have no one to blame but myself.

Hadoukie

To be fair, we already get like 8 times the amount of gold from towers that console players do. Unless they've fixed that since I last did a tower

That never worked for me. Been stuck earning pitiful gold since launch.

Which is useless anyway, since I can't get through the damn krypt

Fmal

Banned
What are you Outlaw players using as a BnB? I'm doing string into dust -> b32u1, but idk how to get max damage after that. Can you get a combo after nj2 without run canceling?

Xevren

What are you Outlaw players using as a BnB? I'm doing string into dust -> b32u1, but idk how to get max damage after that. Can you get a combo after nj2 without run canceling?

Can just do f22 into command grab after the nj2 if you dont want to worry about running since it moves so far forward. Think optimal is f24, 211 xx command grab normally which is only a couple more percent.

Kung Lao's cool mask that got scrapped.
Mortal_Kombat_X_MKX_Concept_Art_MN_Revenants_05.jpg

man that mask looks soooo sick, I hope that they add it as DLC (incoming story spoilers)
or give it to him in the next game as his default outfit since he is still a revenant

Just got my ass handed to me by sti4thewin-. Never played such a ridiculous Quan Chi before. I lost like 9-0 or some shit. Several time I would have won just one match, but he'd come back with -10% health and rek me. Gonna study the hell out of those matches lol. GGs

Spades

You can do 52% with Thunder God(Corner) and only 1 bar with:
  • JIP, b2, b2, b14 EX Shocker, b32(hold), b14 Shocker
And 49% with MOS/Displacer(Corner) and only 1 bar with:
  • JIP, b2, b2, 214 EX Shocker, b14 Shocker
You lose 1% or so without the jump-in punch. There's something about that b14 string that makes damage scale better for some reason, especially at the wall.

I also looked at various combos in the open between TG and MOS/Disp:

MOS/Disp (2% less without JIP) Mid Screen NO METER
  • JIP, 213, f2,2+4, b11,throw -- 30%
  • JIP, 213, f2,2+4, b14,bf3 -- 30%
  • JIP, 213, NJP, f2,2+4,Shocker -- 28%
  • The timing on the first two is strict, so the NJP one is a decent sub.
MOS/Disp (1% less without JIP) Mid Screen 1 BAR
  • JIP, 214 EX Shocker, NJP, f2,2+4,Shocker -- 41%
Displacer Only version (1% less without JIP) Mid Screen 1 BAR
  • JIP, 214 EX Teleport, 213, f2,2+4, b11,throw -- 37%
  • JIP, 214 EX Teleport, 213, f2,2+4, b14,bf3 -- 37%
  • JIP, 214 EX Teleport, 213, NJP, f2,2+4,Shocker -- 36%
  • Teleport variations do less, sadly, than doing the simple EX shocker version.
Thunder God only version Mid Screen NO METER
  • JIP, 213, NJP, run, b14~LBRC, 214 Shocker -- 36% (33% without JIP)
  • f12b2(don't hold it), b14~LBRC, 214 Shocker -- 31% (Nice 6 frame punish)
Thunder God only version Mid Screen 1 BAR (1% less without JIP)
  • JIP, 214 EX Shocker, NJP, run/step forward, b14~LBRC, 214 Shocker -- 49%!!
  • JIP, 214 EX Shocker, b14~LBRC, 214 Shocker -- 46%!
LBRC = Lightning Bolt Run Cancel = d,b1(hold until you see the animation begin)~f,f+block. So, the complete part of that string would be b14d,b1(hold for a split second)f,f+block

Edit -- A number of these come from TYM or are my versions of those. (I tend to go for the simpler ones since they are more doable online)

KAHN’S STRONGHOLD
(-1, 14) 10 Koins Dark Raiden Costume

Here's the full list for more reference:

http://www.gosunoob.com/mortal-kombat-x/mkx-chest-krypt-locations/

This is awesome, thanks for posting.

What does JIP and NJP stand for?

This is awesome, thanks for posting.

What does JIP and NJP stand for?
JIP = Jump in punch. This is when you jump towards an opponent and punch. You can always immediately combo into anything

NJP = Neutral jump punch. This is jumping straight in the air, without moving forward or backwards, and punching. This pops the enemy up into the air and sets them up for a juggle combo.

NEO0MJ

messing around with Necromancer Shinnok, but I feel it's really hard to do good combos with him, especially without the corner. Best I got with one bar is 30%, though I'm still pretty bad at this game and have no idea how to combo proper.

The local library just got it in this week, as I just found out. The copy is still sitting on the shelf, so I held it.

I'm not big into fighting, but Mortal Kombat is fun for a little while. I just don't want to put too much wear on my controller, though I'm not a crazy/hard button masher. (Damned OCD)

16BitNova

The thing I'm having a hard time with is reversals or attacking once my opponents block string is done. I can see where the block string ends but, then I just don't know what to do to attack. It seems everything I try is beaten out by my opponents next block string and I can't get a hit out. This happens when I face the really good players. On occasion a manage to pull a wake up grab but, that isn't really reliable. Any tips here guys? Should I be meter burning specials or is there other ways?

Demoskinos

The thing I'm having a hard time with is reversals or attacking once my opponents block string is done. I can see where the block string ends but, then I just don't know what to do to attack. It seems everything I try is beaten out by my opponents next block string and I can't get a hit out. This happens when I face the really good players. On occasion a manage to pull a wake up grab but, that isn't really reliable. Any tips here guys? Should I be meter burning specials or is there other ways?

Depends on the string and if it leaves them at an advantage or disadvantage and what kind if startup is on the move.

Grimsen

So, aside from gimping yourself and getting Green light Kano (which is cool), is there a point to play without a variation?

(It's up,up triangle when selecting a variation)

This Netotigr guy that streams on PS4 trolling and ultimately teaching people the game is hilarious. He just spams Jackies guns all the time. It's Deathstroke all over again. The pure hate that he gets in his chat is lol worthy. I really think he does its not because he thinks he's good but he knows what it's doing.

Kalavaras

Banned
Am I missing an option where it allows me to play other people than just the ones with McDonalds wifi? Not a single playable online match today and I'm on 100/10mb connection on PS4.

patchday

I wonder how the the double koins weekend works? When I logged on yesterday it seemed like a poor payout as always. Think I make like 180 koins per match in the "living tower". I don't have maxed faction or anything since I'm a casual

Oh, on ps4 btw

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So, aside from gimping yourself and getting Green light Kano (which is cool), is there a point to play without a variation?

(It's up,up triangle when selecting a variation)

never knew. thought it was weird when they let you play that version in practice but not during the real fights. cool.

This almost certainly forces you to learn combos instead of relying on special moves to win.

Just got my ass handed to me by sti4thewin-. Never played such a ridiculous Quan Chi before. I lost like 9-0 or some shit. Several time I would have won just one match, but he'd come back with -10% health and rek me. Gonna study the hell out of those matches lol. GGs

ggs man we need to play again sometime. I think the more you play against quan the easier it becomes to block his high low mixups, and I have no defense against rush type characters. But yeah summoner quan chi is a bitch that's for sure.

Top Bottom