• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Finally finished my Top 10 X-ray list.

Do you agree with my list, or would you have chosen differently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT2tR1PUBks

I am probably gonna make a brutality montage next, because there is too many of them to narrow down to a top 10.

Liu Kang
youre-goddamn-right-gif.gif

I wonder how the the double koins weekend works? When I logged on yesterday it seemed like a poor payout as always. Think I make like 180 koins per match in the "living tower". I don't have maxed faction or anything since I'm a casual

Oh, on ps4 btw

Not really sure myself. I played yesterday, and well.. I was just getting the normal amount that I'd always get.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wonder how the the double koins weekend works? When I logged on yesterday it seemed like a poor payout as always. Think I make like 180 koins per match in the "living tower". I don't have maxed faction or anything since I'm a casual

Oh, on ps4 btw
Yesterday and most of today I was getting around 800 and 900 koins per match. Then when I played an hour ago I was getting around 400. So yeah it did feel like double but it's over now.

Getting revenant Liu Kang and hotshot Johnny is such a pain in the ass.

Not to mention android users still gotta grind the shitty mobile game for klassic kitana and mileena and injustice scorpion.

Everything about Liu Kang is boring as hell to me so entirely disagree with Kang even making the top 10 let alone top spot. Cassie's X-Ray is the best IMO.

I love Cassie's X-ray, but apart from the ball busting move, her's is not as compelling. If you watch my Brutality and Fatality video, you will see much more of her (Cassie Cage is Bae :p)

woooo Liu Kang!

His Xray is just so satisfying compared to the rest of the cast

Pretty much how I felt.

Good to see you gave some love to jaqui, love her xray

She is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters to use.

I've always tended to find FIGHTING GAMES intimidating simply because I've never come to understand the combo systems.

I've just plunged into Mortal Kombat without any idea what the game is about. What's the learning curve for this game like?

Have I made a mistake, GAF?

Manu

I've always tended to find FIGHTING GAMES intimidating simply because I've never come to understand the combo systems.

I've just plunged into Mortal Kombat without any idea what the game is about. What's the learning curve for this game like?

MK is one of the friendliest fighting games out there, if not the most friendly.

Pretty easy to pick up and very rewarding to get into.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

If you go online out of the gate your going to get bodied but we're here to help.

-Play threw the tutorial 2 or 3 times
-Use practice mode to get a feel for different characters
-Play threw story mode
-Practice some more
-Do some towers
-Find a combo vid with your favorite character
-practice even more
-Hop online loose a few rounds
-slowly turn those losses into wins
- profit

The most import thing is to just have fun and be patient learning the game in the beginning.

patchday

Yesterday and most of today I was getting around 800 and 900 koins per match. Then when I played an hour ago I was getting around 400. So yeah it did feel like double but it's over now.

darn some kind of way I didn't qualify for this thing at all. Man I dont even get 400...

Good thing nothing much I want from the Krypt but still.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lag ruins this game. Its not salt, but im mad... win or lose passing laggy as fuck matches just pisses me off to no wnd. just gon.a rack in quits from now on.

My advice:

Choose one character and stick with him while you're learning. Doesn't really matter who, just whoever you think looks cool or has cool powers.

Learn what low, mid, high, and overhead mean. Short version: Low attacks must be blocked crouching, overhead attacks must be blocked standing.

Learn a few moves in practice mode. Don't bother with combos for now. Just make sure you know at least one low attack and at least one overhead attack. Also remember that the basic uppercut - down + 2 - is a decent punishing move when your opponent reveals an opening. It's not a 30% combo, but it's better than just throwing in a 2% jab.

Learn a few of your character's special moves. Most likely they'll have at least one projectile, so remember that one. Then they'll probably have some others of varying usefulness, so try to remember one or two of those. Practice these specials until you can pull them off regularly. I know that inputting specials can be a hurdle for some new players, but it should come almost as naturally as pressing a single button. It won't feel like that at first, but it'll come with practice.

Now that you know a little bit about your character, try to beat the Klassic tower on easy without just mashing buttons. Pay attention to what buttons you're pressing and what attacks you're doing. While playing this tower, focus on two things:

1) Learn to block. Don't just tank hits and hope you do more damage faster. Pay attention to your enemy's attacks and practice pressing the block button as needed.

2) Try to develop strategies based on which attacks tend to work and which attacks the opponent tends to block. IMPORTANT NOTE: These strategies will almost certainly not work against human opponents, but the focus right now isn't on getting good, it's on learning how to get good. Developing new strategies is part of that.

After that, then maybe start jumping into combos.

i now have all of the non DLC costumes except for Hotshot Johnny, Revenant Jax (damn it why must I only have on controller?), and Mileena's. the grind is real/

vg260

Anyone notice Shinook's Necromancer variation (skeleton arms) has regular hands if you do Reptiles's acid bath fatality?

So...Um...Fight Sticks for the PS4? Any recommendations?

Honestly, if you weren't planning to get one for other games, I'd stick with the pad for this one. But check out the arcade stick thread.

CD'S BAR

sorry if this has been asked but have they said if you'll be able to just buy jason vorheese next week or do you have to buy the whole 30$ dlc pack?

sorry if this has been asked but have they said if you'll be able to just buy jason vorheese next week or do you have to buy the whole 30$ dlc pack?
Kombat pack owners get Jason one week early on May 5th. People who don't own the kombat pass can buy him separately on the 12th.

patchday

This might be the first time I breakdown and buy a season pass. really digging this game. sooo much content I feel theres enough here to keep me busy til the next installment.

Anyone notice Shinook's Necromancer variation (skeleton arms) has regular hands if you do Reptiles's acid bath fatality?

Honestly, if you weren't planning to get one for other games, I'd stick with the pad for this one. But check out the arcade stick thread.

There's an arcade stick thread? The pad's been ok but my thumbs starting to get blisters trying to pull off these combos.

zlatko

Banned
I felt bad watching the X-Cellent Adventures this week. Mike and Gootecks are fairly ass right out the gate with MKX. I mean it makes sense to have a learning curve---that was there for me too when I picked up the game, but didn't Gootecks have something like 3+ hours of training mode before they went online?

He didn't do any ex moves to get people off him on wake up, didn't have a footsies game, didn't know combos, etc. I hate to say it, but it seems like Mike and Gootecks really only know Street Fighter and that's it. I came into fighting games with SF4, and at this point there isn't a fighter I can't pick up and get and do decent at online. I think the most complicated fighter as of late I was trying to learn was Killer Instinct, but given more time I would've been fine.

I don't know why they didn't just tag in Chris G for these adventures who CAN play and CAN teach them accordingly. Gootecks fapping to frame data is nice and all, but that shit is pointless until much later and way more match up knowledge I feel. If character X does Y to you, and you try to punish after blocking with combo 1 you've practiced, then great frame data is in your court, but if it doesn't, then try combo that starts off a different button or just a simple throw if it's too quick on recovery.

NEO0MJ

Can anyone give me some tips on performing ravenous Mileena's chain grabs? I'm always terrible at these things.

I felt bad watching the X-Cellent Adventures this week. Mike and Gootecks are fairly ass right out the gate with MKX.

Yeah, but to be fair they're clueless with other fighting games as well :p

So does a combo into X-ray count towards having a 10 hit combo per character trophy? or does it have to be a straight up 10 hit combo with no X-ray I'm trying to cut corners xD edit don't know why K O M B O is censored

Mawlok

Finally decided Bojutsu Kung Jin is going to be my main, its so easy to chain these combos. I've also noticed a lot of people online seem to get surprised when the guy with the bow gets up close and personal.

Also, whats with 90% of people online playing either scorpion or sub zero?

pahamrick

For all the flak MKX PC has been getting for being a bad port (and rightfully so, really) I think I enjoy it better than MK9.

It's probably mainly because I don't really fight online as I'm not the best at fighting games, but I do enjoy them. I've been doing a lot of local 1 v 1 against my best friend, and we used to play MK2/MK3/UMK3 against each other for hours and hours years ago. When MK9 came out he was in the military and not stationed near home, so we didn't really play against each other except for the few times he'd be home visiting.

It feels like a pretty good nostalgia trip, and the different variations allow things to keep getting mixed out -- not to mention the test your luck mode with the random alterations.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Can anyone give me some tips on performing ravenous Mileena's chain grabs? I'm always terrible at these things.

what do you mean by chain grabs ?

I don't really speak the combat lingo but I probably can help.

Do you mean like the bite and flip attacks ?

So Jason comes out tomorrow and there's still no gameplay footage of him yet?

I think there's gonna be NRS twitch stream later today.

what do you mean by chain grabs ?

I don't really speak the combat lingo but I probably can help.

Do you mean like the bite and flip attacks ?

chain grabs are a combo of throws, a sequence of special moves. they usually have a pretty tight window where you need to input the next command to keep the throw chain going.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The krypt in this game is seriously unbalanced. Over the weekend I was doing a bunch of towers while double koins was a thing. I just want to unlock all the brutalities. So I built up loads of koins just doing towers and followed a krypt guide only getting brutalities. It's fucking nowhere near enough. Jesus. Imagine if I wasn't following a guide or if there wasn't double koins over the weekend. It's ridiculously unbalanced just so they can sell their shitty microtransaction. MK9 was much better. All you needed to do to have enough for pretty much the entire krypt was complete story mode and the challenge tower. I don't remember doing much beyond that. Just had to vent about this. The microtransaction clearly had a big impact on the design here.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just did an online experiment with a Swedish guy and we came to the conclusion a lot of people in the PC community need to upgrade their damn connections. There was a thread on the Steam forums looking for people with solid connections so naturally I put my hat in the ring as a test subject and we played together online with no input delay, it was like playing offline while 600 miles from each other. By far the best connection I have ever had in MKX. The game could help us filter out laggers by fixing the ping bars, but it seems the limiting factor is simply people have awful connections, are probably using wireless and don't know how to set up their network. I'm actually angry at how good it was, if it were like that all the time I would never stop playing.

MX is fantastic, even though it seems to be completely geared against any of my preferred playstyles. I can't help feel the game always wants me to get in on my opponent and them me. Anti-airs are week, loads of almost full screen moves that are almost impossible to react to (online). The best defense is almost always a good offense.

vg260

I got the Hori RAP 4 and it's great. However MK might not be the greatest experience with a stick.

I've been using a pad since I got the game even though I have sticks and it's a toss-up for me. The block button and layout does make it a bit odd on a stick, but I found that using:
FS FP BP
Bl FK BK
with my thumb on block works ok. The main advantage to a stick is for me is being able to hit buttons faster in sequence, which is useful for how combos work in this game.

I've been using a pad since I got the game even though I have sticks and it's a toss-up for me. The block button and layout does make it a bit odd on a stick, but I found that using:
FS FP BP
Bl FK BK
with my thumb on block works ok. The main advantage to a stick is for me is being able to hit buttons faster in sequence, which is useful for how combos work in this game.

what do you need flip stance for? i use stage interaction as the one extra button, i could see using throw too as a shortcut.

Top Bottom