• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Played my second match with Unbreakable Jason on ranked, against a Slasher Jason. Quite possibly the worst variation in the entire game. Even against the AI on hard it's an uphill battle. He has one low string, which has this long startup which renders it useless. His overheads are all hard knockdowns. The grabs need to be meter burned, or else he'll get hit out of them. The variation is supposed to be based off of footsies, but man, I really don't see anybody doing anything with this. I haven't even gone against a zoner...have you seen how tall he is?

Lol, what a waste of a variation. And my time and money. The rest of his variations aren't much better.

d3vnull

So... my Steam tells me that the Jason character has been installed.
But if I go in game he is nowhere to be seen. No grayed out selection icon, nothing.

I guess he's not available on PC yet?

geomon

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Wow!

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165BpX8tVdA

dead2.gif

Just learn your characters range and remember to block low. Who do you play as?

Thanks for the help. It's not so much that I don't know how to get good as already knowing in advance that I don't have the time and dedication to do so, hence I'll forever float around in scrub limbo. Can't be helped, sadly. Doesn't matter, I'm still having fun.

ChouGoku

Thanks for the help. It's not so much that I don't know how to get good as already knowing in advance that I don't have the time and dedication to do so, hence I'll forever float around in scrub limbo. Can't be helped, sadly. Doesn't matter, I'm still having fun.

Oh I see, when you refrenced the other thread, I thought it was going to be another "I dont have the natural talent for fighting games" bs that was going on in there

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So the updated patch didn't hit? Just woke up and nothing :(

So the updated patch didn't hit? Just woke up and nothing :(

If you're referring to the PC patch, they released another status update stating that they're going to test things a bit more and release the patch in the morning if all is well.

At this point, I expect nothing but the worst.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If you're referring to the PC patch, they released another status update stating that they're going to test things a bit more and release the patch in the morning if all is well.

At this point, I expect nothing but the worst.

So late evening my time if I'm lucky.

I played a sub zero grandmaster with slasher Jason, guy had zero wins and 3 losses and didnt know any combo's, just played like it was mk3, no ex moves, just zoning and x rays, he beat me 6 games to 1 lol
Jason sure is awkward to play, getting in is really hard, you basically have to pick your moments, shoylder charge, to get them in the corner, or let them come to you, unless I'm playing him wrong

Spuck-uk

Banned
20+ hours in practise and ~150 online matches and I finally feel like I understand the game a little bit. Now I'm maining Thunder God Raiden and it's pretty much the only character I know "well", and by well I mean what happens with every button press I do and I can do some combos. I'm still very clueless on many characters which make it hard to fight against them online but at least the game is not just an endless button mash anymore. Very, very satisfying to actually manage to pull off something that I've actually tried to do.

There's still long, looooooooong way to go though. Fuck me I didn't realise fighting games were so freaking hard. Right now I just want to have fun with Raiden and I won't even bother trying to understand frame data or any shit like that.

I really fell in love with Kung Jin the first time I tried him. I was so sad when I read about him online after learning some combos on him. So much hate. Can't have my 1st main to be the biggest joke character in the game. After Full Auto Jacqui that is.

Why would you care what anyone else thinks, the character is great fun, people are just whiny bitches.

Same goes for FA Jacqui.

I played a sub zero grandmaster with slasher Jason, guy had zero wins and 3 losses and didnt know any combo's, just played like it was mk3, no ex moves, just zoning and x rays, he beat me 6 games to 1 lol
Jason sure is awkward to play, getting in is really hard, you basically have to pick your moments, shoylder charge, to get them in the corner, or let them come to you, unless I'm playing him wrong

He has no way to get in quickly, so let them come to you or use the teleport if you're using that variation. If you play slasher and they are zoning, throw the machete at them.

Why would you care what anyone else thinks, the character is great fun, people are just whiny bitches.

Same goes for FA Jacqui.

Pretty much this.

Take full auto jaquie as an example. People hate her machine gun fire. Play her but don't simply spam that and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

I mean technically you can just spam that and not feel ashamed to. Its in the game. However if / when it gets nerfed you will realise how bad you are because you relied on nothing but a cheap tactic (see that number one player who does this, he has no understanding of much of the game).

When I use Jacqui (I don't often now as i moved on mileena) I would only spam 3 or so shots ever just to either haras or zone someone. Still got one hate mail for using her but what ever.

Ranked matches are so trash always puts me against someone with like 400+ wins and less than 5 losses yeah goodluck with that 10 in a row ranked match wins trophy I give up lol

Jason imo is very novelty, I only liked Slasher and thought that the other two variations to be loser choices since they all involve grapples.

slasher Jason can get super easy 25% combos going without using any brain farts.

I think the key with him is to take advantage of his moves that grant armor to close in and be conservative with what you do

he's got two no brainer combo strings that juggle

Shaanyboi

Banned
So.. this game is not working for me on PS4. I popped it in, let it install (though I did put it to rest mode... uhh... could this screw it up?), started it hours later, did the tutorial, practice run, could only play on one arena in Single Fight, and was not unlocking any other single player modes, or the online.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. Eventually, the Krypt opened up, as did other additional arenas, as did a handful of other characters. But again, hours later, still can't play any other single player mode.

Wtf...

vg260

Ranked matches are so trash always puts me against someone with like 400+ wins and less than 5 losses yeah goodluck with that 10 in a row ranked match wins trophy I give up lol

I hate they put unlocks behind online win streak requirements. That's terrible. I'll never get to use a couple of these as a result.

Is there a way to force matchups or keep ignoring others until you do get matched up so you can get a friend to help? I haven't touched online yet.

When I use Jacqui (I don't often now as i moved on mileena) I would only spam 3 or so shots ever just to either haras or zone someone. Still got one hate mail for using her but what ever.

it's actually a good tactic online, i use similar with Kano.

Back away and start throwing a few knives, when the other player gets frustrated or expects more knives, instant kanoball or other moves to mix it up and confuse :D

I hate they put unlocks behind online win streak requirements. That's terrible. I'll never get to use a couple of these as a result.

Is there a way to force matchups or keep ignoring others until you do get matched up so you can get a friend to help? I haven't touched online yet.
You can't skip ranked unfortunately so I keep getting bodied by super pro dudes who played online ever since the game came out of course I'm gonna get whooped lol, player matches at least i can win since theres players same as my skill level and lower at least..

Marvel

could never
Also with rooms in player matches you get a choice of what ping you'd like. In ranked for me it's a lot more laggy.

Vaga

No. Having no matchmaking is terrible so I consider cheesing a perfect alternative.
Here is where full auto Jaqui comes in. Beating a 2xx-2x win/loss pro without him getting a round - so satisfying.

Also for the win streak, backup your save after every win so in case you lose just load up the save and you'll still have the streak available. It works for the stupid trophy also.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I'm having a hard time selecting Jason. I purchase the Kombat pack, and downloaded the recent patch. What's next?

vg260

No. Having no matchmaking is terrible so I consider cheesing a perfect alternative.
Here is where full auto Jaqui comes in. Beating a 2xx-2x win/loss pro without him getting a round - so satisfying.

Also for the win streak, backup your save after every win so in case you lose just load up the save and you'll still have the streak available. It works for the stupid trophy also.

Interesting idea. So it doesn't keep that data server-side?

Although how can you do that on Xbox One? It has terrible (no) manual save backup options. PS4 handles it very well in this regard.

So.. this game is not working for me on PS4. I popped it in, let it install (though I did put it to rest mode... uhh... could this screw it up?), started it hours later, did the tutorial, practice run, could only play on one arena in Single Fight, and was not unlocking any other single player modes, or the online.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. Eventually, the Krypt opened up, as did other additional arenas, as did a handful of other characters. But again, hours later, still can't play any other single player mode.

Wtf...

I think it does a stealth install on top of the standard PS4 install.

Some claim the only way to get Story mode to appear is to play the tutorial, but even after doing that it didn't show up for me until an hour or two after it had "installed."

Just leave it running and hang in there.

Vaga

Interesting idea. So it doesn't keep that data server-side?

Although how can you do that on Xbox One? It has terrible (no) manual save backup options. PS4 handles it very well in this regard.

No, the save is local. I think it worked in MK9 with the same stupid trophy.
I'm on PS4, dunno about X1 backup.

it's actually a good tactic online, i use similar with Kano.

Back away and start throwing a few knives, when the other player gets frustrated or expects more knives, instant kanoball or other moves to mix it up and confuse :D

Oh I agree. But if you beat someone with a character like jaquie full auto and even use the gun a few times, in that persons head they have an excuse. That your a spammer even if you didn't. Its there loss in the end because they will learn nothing from that fight (duck without block and it won't hit you).

From the 30 plus first losses I got dominated, I learned a few key things.

- a LOT of people have their combo. They really really REALLY want to pull it off. Sit back and learn what there opening is and how to block it. Then work out when you can punish it. You will then win without needed to no some super long juggle combo.

- don't play ranked. You can't skip games with Terrible connection and those arnt fun at all.

- if you find someone who beats you, rematch over and over till you win. You will learn a lot about how to achieve point one, and this helps tons the next time you fight someone playing that same character as a lot of people play chars the same way thanks to things like YouTube and twitch.

Wtf...

The game installs In segments. It allows you to play when not completely installed. As more gets installed more becomes available to play. The first things I think are single fight and possibly training.

Basically just wait.

The game installs In segments. It allows you to play when not completely installed. As more gets installed more becomes available to play. The first things I think are single fight and possibly training.

Basically just wait.

there's something wrong if he has the disc and it takes "hours" to install. Should be minutes from the disc.

J-Tier

So I have an iPhone 4 with the MKX app installed, I know it's not meant to work properly on it since it's an unsupported device but my main phone is an android device and that didn't come out until yesterday and I wanted the costumes asap.

I've been playing for a good while now, but quit the beginning of this week when it glitched during the WBID login and restarted from the very beginning with the tutorial, I had lost everything I had gained since it apparently didn't sync to the server properly. I've no motivation to go back to playing it on my main phone tbh.

I'd like to pin the blame on NRS, but I guess I did get a warning everytimr i booted up the app saying it won't work properly.

There's a icon or title that requires a 500 game win streak..

Sephzilla

Slasher Jason is really fun but man is two other variants really blow.

My guesses for Predator variants
-Hunter: Gadget based stuff that includes his shoulder cannon and blades
-Stalker: Stealth based stuff that uses his camo, teleports.
-Warrior: Combo based grappler/brawler (also doesn't have a mask on)

Yeah slasher Jason feels like the only viable one. It has a high low string that leads to juggle. Other two plays very similar. One is a damage boost grapppler and the other one is a grappler with teleport. The teleport is also not very good and easily punished. I didn't try resurrection so not much clue there on how good it is.

Dr. Buni

He could use his "web" in the grappler variation. Although a grappler having a stun could be a bit overpowered.

Top Bottom