• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Nemesis_

The latest patch has positively broken the online for me, which is really unfortunate. Me and my close friends (literally close) can not even play more than two matches without it drawing to a crawl and then just disconnecting one of us. This is the best case scenario, by the way, when one of us connects to the other. We can't even get things functioning after all three of us join a match.

I booted up Killer Instinct on XBO (we are playing MKX on PS4) to see if it was perhaps our own connections and we would face similar problems there. We didn't, which sucks, because I definitely like MKX more as a fighting game.

I'm just going to have to take a bit more of a break from MKX while I wait for the next patch which will hopefully fix things :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Killer Instinct is supposed to be pretty amazing online, shame it's an X1 exclusive.

So I finally connected the mobile app and the game and it only gave me Ninja Mime Cage. Am I suppose to do more to unlock the other outfits.

Lothars

When Jason was announced I was really dissapointed but I've been playing him last night and he's fun to play as. I really like his slasher variation and think i will keep using him though i am dissapointed I can't seem to do his x-ray brutality.

Dinosur

When Jason was announced I was really dissapointed but I've been playing him last night and he's fun to play as. I really like his slasher variation and think i will keep using him though i am dissapointed I can't seem to do his x-ray brutality.

It needs from a mid distance. You want to connect the grab after the armor break flashing is over.

The "take a few steps forward" caveat is in regards to the actual xray, not moving Jason forward beforehand.

It baffles me that a team as small (and I assume budgeted with less) than NRS manages to nail online so well ._.

they prioritized the online experience, since that was how the game was distributed and mainly played. Was pretty light on content at launch.

Its blossomed into a beautiful butterfly of a game now though and still has that wonderful netcode 8)

You say "disappointed" a lot.
and also spell it wrong

lol I'm sorry

RM8

I've been trying Fightcade for the first time and it blows my mind that big companies with big budgets can't achieve something half as good as that. I have played against people from all over the world with basically zero lag, it's mind blowing. Then I go back to MKX :(

Spuck-uk

Banned
Pretty much this.

Take full auto jaquie as an example. People hate her machine gun fire. Play her but don't simply spam that and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

I mean technically you can just spam that and not feel ashamed to. Its in the game. However if / when it gets nerfed you will realise how bad you are because you relied on nothing but a cheap tactic (see that number one player who does this, he has no understanding of much of the game).

When I use Jacqui (I don't often now as i moved on mileena) I would only spam 3 or so shots ever just to either haras or zone someone. Still got one hate mail for using her but what ever.

It doesn't even remotely need nerfing, there better projectiles in the game anyway. (Hi cyber Kano)

Believing something is 'cheap' is the refuge of the bad player who can't learn or adapt.

It doesn't even remotely need nerfing, there better projectiles in the game anyway. (Hi cyber Kano)

Believing something is 'cheap' is the refuge of the bad player who can't learn or adapt.

Well yes. People panic rather than learn to adapt. But the person relying so heavily on one move and one character isn't learning anything either. Thats all I'm saying.

The only reason her gun is considered cheap is because you can't armour through it. That tweak alone would completely even it put. Plus certain characters will have a harder time dealing with it. Got a teleport/ low slide etc then your fine. Some chars don't and those players are the ones that seem to get caught out the most. Although its amazing how many people don't just duck without blocking.

Personally I don't care if they nerf anything. Its fun regardless. But I can see why that move in perticular is concidered cheap.

OmegaDL50

Hmm it says I downloaded 5.6gb of the 15gb of the patch immediately.

As I said previously Steam uses a Delta patch method, As in it acquires files that only need to be replaced.

Instead of fixing broken files already on your HDD it instead deletes outdated ones and completely replaces them.

I'd assume because I've already had 5gb instantly downloaded as soon as the patch started, I guess only 10gb of the actual patch of what is actually being fixed.

If this is the case, then I don't know why it doesn't just acquire whats necessary instead of a mass of data like it does.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Well yes. People panic rather than learn to adapt. But the person relying so heavily on one move and one character isn't learning anything either. Thats all I'm saying.

The only reason her gun is considered cheap is because you can't armour through it. That tweak alone would completely even it put. Plus certain characters will have a harder time dealing with it. Got a teleport/ low slide etc then your fine. Some chars don't and those players are the ones that seem to get caught out the most. Although its amazing how many people don't just duck without blocking.

Personally I don't care if they nerf anything. Its fun regardless. But I can see why that move in perticular is concidered cheap.

If you duck it within half of the screen, you can freely run up and paste her in the face if she tries to do it a second time. Taking a huge risk with teleports and slides should be reserved for when you have a really solid read on the opponent.

It's not going to get nerfed.

If you duck it within half of the screen, you can freely run up and paste her in the face if she tries to do it a second time. Taking a huge risk with teleports and slides should be reserved for when you have a really solid read on the opponent.

It's not going to get nerfed.

Won't surprise me if it gets nerfed, not because it's OP but because it annoys people.

I'm guessing no one can see the price for Jason standalone? It most likely just says free for you guys but I'm asking because if it turns out that buying the characters separately ends up being cheaper than the season pass, a local game stop employee owes me Jason for free ;) If they include skins in the stand alone package then he'll probably be right but if they sell just the characters like MK9, I will be.

Won't surprise me if it gets nerfed, not because it's OP but because it annoys people.

Yeah this. It's totally counter able. But a lot of people find it annoying and spaz out and don't know what to do.

Thats why I said I can see why people consider it cheap.

Personally I think all tactics are fair game. But relying to heavily on certain tactics harm your own progress as a player.

As I said previously Steam uses a Delta patch method, As in it acquires files that only need to be replaced.

Instead of fixing broken files already on your HDD it instead deletes outdated ones and completely replaces them.
That's exactly the opposite of delta patching. A delta update involves only downloading the changes in the files rather than downloading entire new files to replace the old ones. Not sure why the patches are so huge - maybe delta patching on Steam is optional?

I'm guessing no one can see the price for Jason standalone? It most likely just says free for you guys but I'm asking because if it turns out that buying the characters separately ends up being cheaper than the season pass, a local game stop employee owes me Jason for free ;) If they include skins in the stand alone package then he'll probably be right but if they sell just the characters like MK9, I will be.

He's not out yet for non-season pass people but I think it's gonna be $5 like Goro. Just the 4 characters should work out cheaper without the pass

OmegaDL50

That's exactly the opposite of delta patching. A delta update involves only downloading the changes in the files rather than downloading entire new files to replace the old ones. Not sure why the patches are so huge - maybe delta patching on Steam is optional?

It's possible.

Then again MKX was the first experimental game to try Steams new install mechanic that allowed the game to download as you play it, which also turned out to be a massive clusterfuck.

I think the whole update process with this game is just one big screw up. I don't think either NRS or HVS is particular to blame for this mess.

It's mainly just a consequence of Steams new idea gone terribly wrong and it's after effects.

I suppose no longer being confined to DVD9 limitations and Bluray size for physical media is another reason why the file size bloat for even the console versions too.

Then again MKX by far the largest game I ever downloaded out of all my PC releases. 35GB for just a fighting game just seems astronomical. I bet a significant portion of the games file size would be much much smaller if X-Rays and other Cutscenes weren't 30fps video files and instead used the actual in-game graphics engine instead.

Using bloated video files equates to bloated game size afterall.

Chairhome

You are correct lol that's what I get for not proofreading my post.

I, for one, am
let downnted

MKII tower was cool. I don't know how but I got the secret fight which was
Kitana in Mournful variation
. Might have to do something with finishing your opponents, I had done a fatality or brutality to each one up to that point.

kodecraft

It's possible.

Then again MKX was the first experimental game to try Steams new install mechanic that allowed the game to download as you play it, which also turned out to be a massive clusterfuck.

I think the whole update process with this game is just one big screw up. I don't think either NRS or HVS is particular to blame for this mess.

It's mainly just a consequence of Steams new idea gone terribly wrong and it's after effects.

I suppose no longer being confined to DVD9 limitations and Bluray size for physical media is another reason why the file size bloat for even the console versions too.

Doesn't MKX on PS4 do the same install as you play thing? So it's not a Steam thing.

OmegaDL50

Doesn't MKX on PS4 do the same install as you play thing? So it's not a Steam thing.

Yes, this trend started with the PS4 and XB1, I believe.

Steam tried to adopt a similar mechanic and used MKX as it's first test subject for the new install method...and it failed spectacularly.

Yes, this trend started with the PS4 and XB1, I believe.

Steam tried to adopt a similar mechanic and used MKX as it's first test subject for the new install method...and it failed spectacularly.
I don't even think this was really valves system. Steam used to do this very thing (download basic files and then play while it downloads) with older valve games like HL1/Other goldsrc games but dropped it later on (those games didn't use the DLC method). MKX's system seems to be simply copying the ps4/xbone system and it turned into this half-assed thing.

Would be a good way to kill any momentum as a competitive game.

Never said it would be a good decision competitive wise. But it wouldn't be the first balance change I'd see because of "toxic behavior" than balance. IE: Half a goddamn patchnote of a League of Legends patch. (And yes I don't agree with it but you need to adress it if you want to keep your game appealing for a broad amount of people).

He's not out yet for non-season pass people but I think it's gonna be $5 like Goro. Just the 4 characters should work out cheaper without the pass

Right, he's not out for us until Tue which is why I was curious if you pass folks could see a price but was pretty sure you wouldn't since the PSN store tends to say free when you've already paid for something. Appreciate the response and I didn't think about Goro! I basically had a mini debate with my game stop employee who was insisting that the pass would be cheaper and basically that it'd be stupid to get them solo but I said I didn't care about skins. I was going off of what they did with MK9 which I think should be a decent model considering it's the same scenario (4 characters, staggered) while he was just pulling numbers out of his ass. I acknowledged that he could be right if they force skins on you with the characters but I felt they'd give us a character only option ala MK9 and he was so adamant that it'd come to more money that he said he'd get me Jason if it ended up cheaper than the kombat pass. It'd have to be at least 8 bucks per character to come out more than the pass.

I honestly won't even make him buy it, he was just being a real ass hat with some of the comments he made so I'll just have him admit he was wrong and he shouldn't make up numbers to try and trick customers (he was trying to pawn it on my buddy who doesn't care about skins).

Manu

Did the Living Towers get a difficulty bump or something? They get tricky around the fourth or fifth fight now. Damn.

alstein

It was new to Steam, and Valve has a habit the past few years of using its customers as guinea pigs for alpha tests.

It was a disaster on Steam. I doubt having a competent team work on the PC port would have helped here.

Top Bottom