• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Manu

If he's just dialing a combo and running on auto pilot it's easy to stop.

He's not. And a semi-competent KJ can punish ANYTHING with a 25-35% combo.

Sometimes they just nj and 2 and combo from there, since it has ridiculous range. It's so dumb and makes me so angry.

zlatko

Banned
He's not. And a semi-competent KJ can punish ANYTHING with a 25-35% combo.

Sometimes they just nj and 2 and combo from there, since it has ridiculous range. It's so dumb and makes me so angry.

Does anyone else want combo breakers at 1 bar instead of 2?

Ah. A good Kung Jin is a nightmare opponent. If he has a strong defense and just punishes you non stop, then yeah you're going to get bodied a lot.

As for the 1 bar for combo breakers---fuck no. You guys think Kung Jin is bad now? Imagine if he NEVER spent meter on anything but to break you non stop. You'd never hurt that fool lol.

2 Bar breaks is exactly what it should be.

As for the 1 bar for combo breakers---fuck no. You guys think Kung Jin is bad now? Imagine if he NEVER spent meter on anything but to break you non stop. You'd never hurt that fool lol.

2 Bar breaks is exactly what it should be.

I think it would make a more competitive game(for me at least). Most games that I get slaughtered(besides lag) is because of Mr. 30-40% combo, ad nauseum. That way they may have to actually fight instead of the rinse and repeat of a single combo.

In my opinion, the game needs way more defensive tactics. Currently, all the top players are just offensive rushers. Like mentioned, it could be mostly due to lag, but still.

abracadaver

Lost my story progress yesterday (PC)

Was in chapter 8 and it just started from the beginning after I clicked continue. Will not play this again until everything is fixed. Really a shitty port

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think it would make a more competitive game(for me at least). Most games that I get slaughtered(besides lag) is because of Mr. 30-40% combo, ad nauseum. That way they may have to actually fight instead of the rinse and repeat of a single combo.

In my opinion, the game needs way more defensive tactics. Currently, all the top players are just offensive rushers. Like mentioned, it could be mostly due to lag, but still.

That wouldn't make it more competitive.

You just need to get better.

Plenty of defensive options in this game, but you can't just derp and wake up Shoryuken like SF4. Learn to backdash and learn to block.

Changing breakers to 1 bar wouldn't solve this problem though because:

- It's not an extra defensive option. It's not preventing you getting caught with the same combos or hit by the same set-ups, it's just limiting the damage once you're caught out.
- Netherrealm would also have to change how much meter you gain while being hit/comboed because it builds so fast that you'd almost always have access to break if it cost a single bar. Changing that would have other unintended effects on the gameplay.
- If you caught opponent with a combo, then he also has the luxury of only having to spend one bar to break your combo, so it's just as beneficial to him as it is to you. A defensive option should be something unique to the defending player, no?

It's too early to see how the metagame will end up but right now, it seems like defensive options are fine - delayed wake-up, combo breakers, block breakers, backdash and armoured wake-up (for characters who have them) are adequate. Attacking players do need some sort of reward for gaining initiative and momentum.

Cosmic Forge said:
Invasion bosses are so fun aren't they?

I only just found out the other night that Invasion boss fights count against your offline win/loss record. Oh well. That's that ruined then!

Pepin

I only just found out the other night that Invasion boss fights count against your offline win/loss record. Oh well. That's that ruined then!

I didn't know this until RIGHT NOW.

What's the point of that? Surely they can just take that off the metrics from the backend?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, so I haven't played in awhile but it appears I'm now crashing while playing random online matches, before it was limited only to KOTH mode. So it's actually worse than before, at least I could just avoid KOTH.

Learning Raiden, he's pretty OP.

Demoskinos

Doing combos is fighting..... And if they keep going back to the same combo and it keeps working that's on you at that point.

I see your frustrations but MKX isn't a 'footsie' or 'spacing' game like Street Fighter, it's much more about being aggressive and punishing mistakes with high damage combos.

patchday

just fought the invasion boss. That was pure BS why did I even try again. Cant grab the boss, cant block, just pure butt stomped into the mud.

And ever since I acquired classic kitana outfit I've noticed she's always wearing it now. Hope something didn't get broken...

I see your frustrations but MKX isn't a 'footsie' or 'spacing' game like Street Fighter, it's much more about being aggressive and punishing mistakes with high damage combos.

Since everyone else has said the same thing, I will just respond to this.

Maybe that is my problem...It is just not my type of fighting game once it gets to higher competition. And I'm willing to play anyone that thinks my game is weak or that I don't know how to block...etc.

Most of you say people will just break my combo's easier. Well that is the whole point. Now I can't just do a single huge combo.. I have to actually mix up my game with shorter combos, deception, confusion, and wait for the right moment to pull of a bigger combo.

For example, I played a Raiden player that was able to get first hit(bar advantage) and then hit a combo over 40%. So that means I am already phucked for that round. And that is how it continued.

But again, maybe MKX is just not the type of fighting game that I want it to be.

.la1n

For example, I played a Raiden player that was able to get first hit(bar advantage) and then hit a combo over 40%. So that means I am already phucked for that round. And that is how it continued.

Your first mistake is giving up the round after he landed that combo.

vg260

Someone give me the easiest high-damage combo or mix-up for any character to spam online to win some more ranked matches. I just need 20 or so ranked wins to unlock the last costume so I can move on to really learning a charcter. It takes too long to find a ranked match only to get a mismatch and destroyed.

Kung Jin or Jason perhaps?

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
Some characters* can beat out his wakeup ex teleport anyway

*Kung Jin obviously

The fact half the chars can't beat it is pretty bad IMO, especially as most other chars have a poor wake-up game. I get it aint SF and you need to learn to block to find your opening, but wake-up games feel unbalanced

Demoskinos

But again, maybe MKX is just not the type of fighting game that I want it to be.

Its not. Which is why the crossover between other fighting games is so small with NRS games. NRS games have their own philosophy when it comes to fighting games. Which is fine that you don't like it or whatever but the suggestions made for like single bar breakers completely destroys the design philosophy behind the game.

Rizsparky

Someone give me the easiest high-damage combo or mix-up for any character to spam online to win some more ranked matches. I just need 20 or so ranked wins to unlock the last costume so I can move on to really learning a charcter. It takes too long to find a ranked match only to get a mismatch and destroyed.

Kung Jin or Jason perhaps?

Check out Buzzsaw Kung Lao or War God Kotal Khan, some nice easy high damage mixups.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The fact half the chars can't beat it is pretty bad IMO, especially as most other chars have a poor wake-up game. I get it aint SF and you need to learn to block to find your opening, but wake-up games feel unbalanced

Yeah, but they can always block and punish it for silly damage.

patchday

So let's compare USF4 to MK X. Are you saying in SF4 they don't have super long combo chains that do 40% like they do in this game? Cause I'm wondering maybe I'll have an easier time mastering that game. looks like the ps4 version is due in 10 more days and I think it costs even less money than the kombat pass

Btw, for now might try kung jin

Demoskinos

So let's compare USF4 to MK X. Are you saying in SF4 they don't have super long combo chains that do 40% like they do in this game? Cause I'm wondering maybe I'll have an easier time mastering that game. looks like the ps4 version is due in 10 more days and I think it costs even less money than the kombat pass

Btw, for now might try kung jin

Generally the damage isn't that insane in Street Fighter but the execution side of things in Street Fighter is way higher. There are a lot of 1-frame links for combos.

Xevren

SF 4 is much harder to master, if you go from here to there thinking that you'll be in for a rude awakening. Unless you just want to go around doing random dragon punches or something, then go nuts.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just had my first ever BSOD thanks to this game, I dared to leave it running while I made dinner and the memory leak got me.

A-V-B

Generally the damage isn't that insane in Street Fighter but the execution side of things in Street Fighter is way higher. There are a lot of 1-frame links for combos.

I hate that one frame stuff. Drove me crazy in Virtua Fighter with Akira. I literally ripped a button off because I was trying to slide across to it so fast.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SF 4 is much harder to master, if you go from here to there thinking that you'll be in for a rude awakening. Unless you just want to go around doing random dragon punches or something, then go nuts.

3ChRuMT.jpg

Ken knows the way. His fist is already on fire!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Raiden is just so awesome, easy 34% mid screen, easy 40% corner, good tools. Plus Tournament skin looks old school. First day with him and think he's in my top 2 so far.

patchday

Thanks guys!

Huh, maybe I should try Raiden at some point.

Was trying to main Takeda but I just cant pull off his combos reliably to save my life (I'm referring to 30% combos ofc)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys!

Huh, maybe I should try Raiden at some point.

Was trying to main Takeda but I just cant pull off his combos reliably to save my life (I'm referring to 30% combos ofc)

I've just taken an instant liking to him, he's very strong and just fun to play IMO. I still have a lot to learn but I won more than I lost today with him on day one so I can't complain. Apart from the crashing I actually had a few decent matches with minimal button delay tonight which is rare. Stopping now though as my hands are getting numb! :D

Top Bottom