• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Not feeling arcade stick for this game at all.

You genuinely need at least 7 buttons IMO.

Pad is superior choice in this one instance for me.

Im a reasonably good SF player with the stick and haven't played MK series since PS2 days.

I struggled big time with some of the pad buttons + R2 as the R2 button on my Hori Pro is on the bottom line.

I also think it feels less fluid than SF4 and later SF4 games. You need to rely more on combos than special moves in this game.

I have only played the story mode, and beat that by doing a lot of chips and jump attacks with barely any special moves.

Finally figured out how to do the (not sure if this is the correct term for this) downward aerial smash after the launcher. The amount of frames you're given to pull it off is pretty minuscule. But, then again, I'm not very good at fighting games.

What's your take on this game competitively, compared to 9 and Injustice?

It's a lot different than MK9. In some ways it plays closer to Injustice, but with significantly faster movement. It's a unique game because you can run and walk so fast to get in but the range of the normals for most characters is so long the footsies game is played from farther back than you'd think. It totally works out and is super fun.

Enjoying the story but salty about these characters that aren't on the roster but are in story mode.

Gives them a reason to provide additional DLC, I suppose.

Kinsei

Banned
So many Scorpions online.

Really? I've only run into a couple. I've seen many more Goro and Ermac players so far.

Have only really played around with Takeda and Sub-Zero.
Haven't quite clicked yet. Should I use story to find a toon, or just keep taking them into the lab?

You need to play through story mode to unlock Shinnok, so why not do that first? Who knows, you might end up liking him the most.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone know some good Sub-Zero combos? I have one or two, but they don't scale that high.
Cryromancer
f+1,2,2,1,1,ice ball (ex),2,4,2

2,4,2 can be anything at this point in time. I wanted to end it on an ex slide, but it's good by itself with 2,4,2. I was ending that with another f+1,2,2

I can't seem to think outside the box. I'm thinking there's another way to set up another juggle.

Dubz

I can't tell if I Ike the stick or controller better. I pull of special moves better with the stick, but the block button creates issues for a good button configuration in the stick. Anybody with a stick have a configuration they like?

Anyone who got the Coarse Scorpion Statue edition

Did the actual game come in a standard retail case (with a barcode, no "not for retail" marking)? Mine won't come for a few days, so I wanna know if i'm able to go and grab a retail copy that I can return with my SE copy

zogged

I'm really annoyed by the fact that all the move lists have the button icons instead of the move. After completely rearranging the inputs I had to make a cheat sheet to keep track of what A, B, X, Y, LT and RT are mapped to now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kotal is interesting but I'm not sure what to do with him.

I did see that the one variant with the totems has some hilarious potential. Use the dagger move for a damage buff, bring out a damage totem and you can do a ~40%+ combo literally just doing jump in -> uppercut.

how is kotal kahn? trash tier?

He seems fun but his stuff is super slow.

I've been playing as him quite a bit, and he's much faster up-close. His uppercuts can lead to some good combos, as well as his moves that cover ground quick (should slam, backhand, etc.).

The variations I'm still working on, but it's roughly:
War god: Mid and a bit of long range.
Blood god: can be varied up for strategic placement, but many will keep them close for immediate buffs.
Sun god: short range.

RM8

Even with my impossibly underpowered PC I'm loving this game :] It makes the wait for my new PC even harder, though! This feels like such a big upgrade over MK9. Gameplay just feels way better, let alone the atmosphere and style. Honestly MK9 always felt ugly and cheesy, and not in a good way.

That difficulty spike in the
Kano vs. Sonya Blade
fight is some Shao Khan level bullshit, it's taken me four tries just to beat
him
in one round.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The door in the Kavern of doom area in the krypt is impossible to lift.... Is this a fucking joke?

Someone please tell me I'm missing something here. No way they really want us to tap buttons at that speed and ferocity. No. Fucking. Way.

That difficulty spike in the
Kano vs. Sonya Blade
fight is some Shao Khan level bullshit, it's taken me four tries just to beat
him
in one round.

For me the spike came when I started the Jacqui Briggs chapter. Before then it was a breeze for me.

But holy shit in that chapter each fight in that chapter took me 2-3 tries.

Kinsei

Banned
The door in the Kavern of doom area in the krypt is impossible to lift.... Is this a fucking joke?

Someone please tell me I'm missing something here. No way they really want us to tap buttons at that speed and ferocity. No. Fucking. Way.

If you think that's bad stay away from Test Your Might.

Beepos

Game is so legit good. Runs like a dream on my PC (minus the forced 30fps sections). Can't wait to get into Story Mode.

robot

Really digging Kitana with Jade's moveset. Wish she'd use the Bo staff some regular attacks instead of the fans but I'm just glad they did something w/ Jade.

Also really cool to see endings by finishing the tower!

Top Bottom