• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Edzi

Probably "release check" is on in the controller settings. They have it defaulted to on for some reason(at least it was for me anyway). I know some people like it but it makes the inputs feel laggy to me.

Huh... I was wondering about that setting. I'll try this when I get home, since I did notice that it felt slightly delayed.

Actually, can someone give me a run down on all the control options? I noticed there was another that said something like "easy input", and another which registers/requires diagonal inputs. I think I have all of them on, but I'm not really sure what the benefits are. The only one I'm kinda sure about is the one that makes diagonals register, since that seems to help with precision when using a stick... But maybe I'm just imagining that.

Krejlooc

Banned
Actually, can someone give me a run down on all the control options?

dunno all the control options, but for people using the mk stick, here's some important info that isn't mentioned anywhere in the game. Naturally it applies to pads as well:

X-Ray attack: bk+block+fk
interact with background: bp+fp

ZangBa

I'm a bit disappointed (story ending spoilers)
Dark Raiden doesn't have red lightning
. I know it's not a big deal, I just really liked it before.

Colombo

I picked up the game after work today but then had visitors after I got home, so my time with it was brief but I was impressed with what I saw and played. I am very happy that Neatherealm decided to incorporate the Injustice style story mode. I really think more fighting games should do the same.

Deadstar

The females are so much better. They look like actual women and not some 14 year olds fantasy

Why is fantasy a bad thing? The males in MKX are fantastical with giant arms and chests. It seems like they toned down the women while keeping the males the same. Just personal preference I guess.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dunno all the control options, but for people using the mk stick, here's some important info that isn't mentioned anywhere in the game. Naturally it applies to pads as well:

X-Ray attack: bk+block+fk
interact with background: bp+fp

Is this game harder to play with a stick? Seems really easy to use the triggers for stuff and I don't know how that would port over. (Wondering b/c I have a VLX coming in.)

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this game harder to play with a stick? Seems really easy to use the triggers for stuff and I don't know how that would port over. (Wondering b/c I have a VLX coming in.)

I find it so much easier with a stick, personally. I don't find hitting the bottom 3 buttons to do an X-ray move difficult.

I was a very avid arcade player in my youth, however. The MK stick floods me with nostalgia. It's very well put together, too. Uses a bat joystick unlike the ball joysticks that are popular these days.

Deadstar

I think the faces make the difference. Johnny Cage, Kano, Sonya, etc all look so much better in this one.

I like what they did with the story but I kind of wish we had young versions of all the "main" characters. It's kind of interesting seeing them older but Johnny Cage in particular is just cooler to me when he's younger. I am really wondering where they are going to take the next game. If they add another 20 years Cage will be fighting with a cane.

Ferrio

Banned

I find the stick a lot more cumbersome, first fighting game I've ever said that.

Edzi

I'm new at MK, but I think once you find a good layout it should work well. On my stick, I had to change the button layout to have Block be R1 and Stance Change be R2. That Makes it easier for me to hold block while being ready to hit other buttons, and it also lets me do an X-Ray move with R1+R2. My buttons basically look like this:

FP BP Block

FK BK Stance Change

Krejlooc

Banned
I truthfully don't like the way Johnny Cage looks in this game. He's got an Uncle Joey from Full House chin situation going on. I much preferred how he looked in MK9, which was more in-line with klassic Cage.

Love his personality, though. He's probably the single most likable MK character in the whole series.

Manu

I truthfully don't like the way Johnny Cage looks in this game. He's got an Uncle Joey from Full House chin situation going on. I much preferred how he looked in MK9, which was more in-line with klassic Cage.

Love his personality, though. He's probably the single most likable MK character in the whole series.

They also changed his VA. I understand why they did it but Jeff Pilson was just perfect.

Majestad

Banned

I really like his role in the story and his new move set feels great.

Well, I ran into a effectively game-breaking glitch. One of the levers in the krypt (for the puzzle where you have to open the door in the spider cave) no longer has a prompt to pull it. Anyone else have this happen?

Krejlooc

Banned
They also changed his VA. I understand why they did it but Jeff Pilson was just perfect.

Yeah, you could hear the cockiness in his old voice, he sounded almost like a saturday morning cartoon hero. Which, of course, fit johnny cage so well. One of my favorite lines in MK9 was "People always think my fighting is all special effects and wires in my movies. Truth is... I am the special effects."

RM8

Most of the character design is much better in MKX vs. MK9. Especially the females. Night and day difference.
I agree and it makes me realize it's something I disliked a lot about MK9 - I mean, I always thought that, but it's just an eyesore compared to this game. Everyone was ugly, both in design and face-wise. The new designs are way classier and cooler, it's a massive upgrade IMO.

I'm also glad there's no hideous artwork like this:

smoke-mk9port.jpg

DryvBy

Why did they remove the battle damage from character models? I thought that was one of the coolest things in Injustice/MK9.

I'm taking this game suffered a bit from being on last-gen systems. I love it (first game I've taken time off work for since Destiny), but it's not as wow/amazing as MK9 was the first time I loaded it up. Not a big enough leap.

My PS4 version doesn't want to fully install I've been waiting for a while now and it's finally almost done installing the characters. I hope that story mode installs a lot quicker. Anybody know how to speed up the process?

Why did they remove the battle damage from character models? I thought that was one of the coolest things in Injustice/MK9.

I'm taking this game suffered a bit from being on last-gen systems. I love it (first game I've taken time off work for since Destiny), but it's not as wow/amazing as MK9 was the first time I loaded it up. Not a big enough leap.
It's still there. Just toned down.

Manu

You need to replay MK9 if you seriously think this.

And battle damage is there, just toned down. And it's cool, since a punch to the face used to rip off your lips/eyelids before. It was a bit too much.

Krejlooc

Banned

And battle damage is there, just toned down. And it's cool, since a punch to the face used to rip off your lips/eyelids before. It was a bit too much.

the most noticeable part of the real time "damage" is honestly the sweat this time around. It's neat how the characters get sweatier the harder the battle is.

DryvBy

Can you should an example of clothes ripping? I've seen sweat and that's about it.

Teknoman

the most noticeable part of the real time "damage" is honestly the sweat this time around. It's neat how the characters get sweatier the harder the battle is.

Sweat and mud from the jungle stage. I do wish the stages had more of that Mortal Kombat wtf strangeness factor though. The woods stage is too damn tame. Havent played online against randoms yet, but local friends online pretty much lag free (or felt that way).

OmegaDL50

I don't understand how people are having performance issues on systems with specs much higher than mine.

I have a i5 3570k, 8GB of Ram, and an HD7950 3GB GDDR5 GPU and set the game to it's highest settings on my 1920x1080 display and I get 60fps during gameplay. The only noticeable frame differences I get is when the game drops to 30fps during X-Rays, Fatalities and Cutscenes.

When recording with Fraps the frame never drops below 48 to 50 (I lose 10 fps due to the extra process of video recording in the background, If I increased my ram to 16G I wonder if it wouldn't drop anymore?)

Perhaps there are some features only available on higher end GPUs that I don't see in my graphic settings, but so far the game is running super smooth (outside of when I'm recording of course)

The character damage is specific. IIRC. Meaning Liu Kang can give off fire damage, while Cassie obviously can't. Not like a pre-set battle damage that was MK9 which is pretty damn cool.

Teknoman

Its Mortal Kombat. Even more so now, since you're getting hit in the face with all sorts of environmental objects. X-rays and battle damage were the coolest things introduced in MK9, and im glad X-rays sound crunchier now, but its kinda lame that damage took a step back.

SSReborn

Sweat and mud from the jungle stage. I do wish the stages had more of that Mortal Kombat wtf strangeness factor though. The woods stage is too damn tame.
Yeah I was saying that to a friend earlier like I feel like they should of had a living forest variant to that stage. I feel the stages themselves aren't as interesting as former games this time around.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I'm a hardcore stick user, but I bought the MKX pad for PS4. Something about pad just feels right for MKX. :p

Top Bottom