• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Furyous

I bought this game against my better judgement. I just popped my first MK cherry as this is the first time I've owned an MK game. I avoided this game like the plague back when it was announced on lesser gen systems. Now it's finally to the state it should be in. I have posting privileges but take lazy to a new level so anyone that feels inspired to make a post about games you've waited to play for reasons feel free to.

Anywhoo, I fucking suck at this game and will not play it online until I can beat the computer in hard practice mode. Can someone explain to me the input difference between 1 - O and 1 + O? I'm playing with the PS4 controller and contemplating altering the control scheme because fuck the button layout.

Haven't touched story mode and will probably play it on easy just to unlock everything. However, I got my first trophy by joining all the factions and quitting them.

Who's the best character for noobs to play as?

EulaCapra

Has Jade's "full death" been explained in the comics yet?

Kitana's ending features a ghostly Jade showing what an incompetent asshole Raiden has been and how he keeps screwing shit up. I assume Jade was strong enough to let her bind go from Quan Chi's pull and decided to just let her Revenant body go?

D'vorah is great fun to play as and I really enjoy her character design. Lots of good reach attacks though she's a bit awkward.

Story so far is a lot of fun!

DoT2

Aughhhh, you guys are making me cave. I guess I will pick this up next week sometime. I do love fighting games so I don't see why not. Just, so much money spent on games this year lol.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So any early rumors about friendships or babalitys in this game? The cool thing is they could always sneak them in via a game update and we'd never know it!!!

Sigmaah

Seems like Ermac needs to be played in souls in order to get some big damage but it's probs my lack of knowledge. Ima play in souls and see how it goes.

Who's a straight rushdown in your face pressure heavy character? I'm all about that when it comes to fgs.

Seems like Ermac needs to be played in souls on order to get some big damage but it's probs my lack of knowledge. Ima play in souls and see how it goes.

Who's a straight rushdown in your face pressure heavy character? I'm all about that when it comes to fgs.

Kano, I think. I haven't used him but seen some videos.

How do you know if a move can be special canceled or not? Or can ever move be? lol

If you look at the frame data of a move/special etc. there should be one that says cancel. If it has a 0 under cancel it can't be special canceled. Seems like there's varying cancel windows per move though.

Shouta

If you look at the frame data of a move/special etc. there should be one that says cancel. If it has a 0 under cancel it can't be special canceled. Seems like there's varying cancel windows per move though.

Oh! Interesting. i didn't see that. That's good to know then. I'm starting to figure out Kung Lao combos so this should help a lot.

RM8

How do you get them anyways?
Getting a character to level 40 in the case of Kitana's. That's a slow and painful process because the reality is that it's not a very fun game, has energy meters, and requires grinding. I have a level 20 character and I already want to quit the game :( It's so crappy that they can't be obtained otherwise.

Teknoman

Street Fighter player here, can someone explain the basic knockdown meta game to me? What are my options on wake up other than block?

Similar things to shoryuken on wake up. Alot of rush/slide/dash moves seem to activate the instant you input them. Maybe a good ol fashioned uppercut.

mreddie

Getting a character to level 40 in the case of Kitana's. That's a slow and painful process because the reality is that it's not a very fun game, has energy meters, and requires grinding. I have a level 20 character and I already want to quit the game :( It's so crappy that they can't be obtained otherwise.

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Kinsei

Banned

Ugh, that sucks. I really want all of the costumes.

RM8

A guy on Reddit unlocked everything on mobile, shared his account... and then some jerk changed the password :[ That's why we can't have nice things.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just posted my review on Steam, I think it's fair and I'm sad I couldn't recommend it.

First let me say that if the issues are fixed I will amend my review, and state that I recommend the game as it's great, but flawed.

The main reason I can't recommend it is the online mode doesn't work properly, at all. I CTD very often which means I eat losses through no fault of my own. The matches are also very laggy which tells me matchmaking isn't working correctly, and even if I join a "UK only" room it's still not great. This issue is mad worse by the fact ping bars don't refresh, everyone is either fully grey or constantly "loading" so you can never tell if someone is close to you or not. Online is the most important part of the game and right now it's barely playable, if at all.

Now onto some more general annoyances, Fatalities, X-rays, The Krypt, match intros, the menu and character select (this is especially choppy) are all hard locked to 30fps, and jumping from 60fps to 30fps is extremely noticeable and jarring, it really hurts the experience. There's nothing you can do about this.

But it's not all bad, the game runs perfectly for me, 60fps without dips all the time (where possible) on max settings at 1080p, and it's gorgeous looking, easily the best looking fighter available. When they fix all the CTD problems I will say it's a perfect port performance wise.

The story is also very well done, with QTE that don't make me want to kill myself, in fact they're possibly the best used QTE I've ever experienced. I will say the story cut scenes have a weird, overly orange colour to them which is very off-putting and noticeable when jumping from a cut scene straight into a match, you'll notice the colour difference instantly. I finished the story in about 6 hours, which is perfect IMO as any longer and you're just wanting it to be over so you can go online and kick some butt (or not, for now at least).

Played a few online matches. I'm pretty terrible. I played someone that was just as bad as me so we had some good games. Didn't have any problems with lag(*fingers crossed*) but i've only played like 5 games.

Teknoman

To be fair, its locked the same way on consoles. 60 fps in fights, 30 fps intros, victories, and fatalities. Seems like the PC port is literally the same as consoles aside from higher possible resolutions?

What does CTD mean?

A guy on Reddit unlocked everything on mobile, shared his account... and then some jerk changed the password :[ That's why we can't have nice things.

On mobile?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, its locked the same way on consoles. 60 fps in fights, 30 fps intros, victories, and fatalities. Seems like the PC port is literally the same as consoles aside from higher possible resolutions?

What does CTD mean?

Crash to desktop, and PCs don't have the same limitations as consoles, so we should be able to maintain 60fps in those situations. At the very least give me a 60fps menu and character select, why the hell are they 30fps in the first place? The character select almost feels bugged on PC as it's so choppy.

Decided to pick this up on xbone after hearing its online was a bit better. First thought is...who the hell thought this stamina meter tied to backdash and certain specials was a good idea...

I think its fun, but yeah way too much grinding. If you don't have the right team for certain bosses you are screwed and end up having to level a new team to whatever level. Not to mention bronze characters are worthless, you pretty much NEED one gold character minimum for some boss fights. I was lucky enough to get inferno scorpion from the lone gold pack I got with the souls they gave away + $6 worth. I'm stuck on a boss scorpion right now and he's op as fuck. He buffs and demolishes my whole team. So now I have to level a silver Jacqui to 25-30 because he's weak to spec ops.

Top Bottom